Photo

A New Engine!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:02

"New Engine!" - a headline that always excites the budding engineer and inventor in many of us and here is a genuinely new concept that may satisfy some of that thirst ... and they get 20 extra Brownie Points for having a runner too! ...

http://thekneeslider...bustion-engine/

Official website ...

http://www.circlecycleice.com/

Da patent ..

http://www.google.co...7...mp;q&f=true

Edited by cheapracer, 19 January 2012 - 07:04.

Advertisement

#2 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:53

Hilarious.
And adds further support to my suspicion that there is a very very strong link between hallucinogenic drug use and the the design of alternative engines.

Edited by Grumbles, 19 January 2012 - 07:54.

#3 Engineguy

Engineguy

• 989 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:30

Spark plug wires are gonna wear out awfully quick! :wave:

#4 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 13:59

Im assuming it got a support dish in the centre to take up the loads..

Wires is not the only way to get electricity to the plug. Not a problem.

It looks to have a low engine volume/weight ratio.

It looks expensive to make.

Due to the obvious lack of lubrication of the cylinder walls this will struggle with life time. they use a ceramic bushing to compensate -> more costly.

The model shown does not have counter weights for both cylinder and piston. easy fix. why what? it would wear the gears un-needed as the piston etc gets trown up and down. therefore a counter weight is ideal.

All the seals for gears and so on will be a bitch once the exhaust gases starts to cover everything. And cooling will also be reduced once that happens.

So the issue as i see thus far:

expensive.
Likely low power to weight ratio.
Not as durable

Could be efficient?

Edited by MatsNorway, 19 January 2012 - 14:02.

#5 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 21:45

Damn that animation made me laugh. Sadly it isn't on wiki yet.

Their previous invention was this

http://www.goodrich....00068f57eaaRCRD

Hey look at this

"Wanted for hire:

Professional engineers, with the knowledge and experience to critique our Circle Cycle engine design as described in this web site, from an independent view, and compare it to current internal combustion engine design performances.
If interested please respond to jlockshaw@sbcglobal.net with your credentials. Fees are negotiable."

Jeez all they have to do is send us a slab of beer and we'll give them all the critique they want.

Edited by Greg Locock, 19 January 2012 - 22:05.

#6 pugfan

pugfan

• 177 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:27

Professional engineers, with the knowledge and experience to critique our Circle Cycle engine design as described in this web site, from an independent view, and compare it to current internal combustion engine design performances.
If interested please respond to jlockshaw@sbcglobal.net with your credentials. Fees are negotiable."

Presumably the engineers they already employ gave them the wrong answers...

#7 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:50

When you're going through a rough patch, success isn't coming easily and your self-confidence is crumbling, just watch that animation one more time, have a good laugh and say to yourself: "Well, at least I didn't design that!"

Edited by Grumbles, 20 January 2012 - 08:51.

#8 malbear

malbear

• 309 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 21:22

When you're going through a rough patch, success isn't coming easily and your self-confidence is crumbling, just watch that animation one more time, have a good laugh and say to yourself: "Well, at least I didn't design that!"

The rings are going to have a hard short life as they are completely free and then thrust onto the piston If I am seeing and reading correctly.
Even current two strokes have bridging supports in the sleve barrell to stop being caught in the ports
Looks good in annimation all that is needed is the smoke and mirrors and waffle dust from a slick promotor and the" investor" page.
100 points for ingenuity and effort.

#9 bigleagueslider

bigleagueslider

• 1,235 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 23:54

Hey look at this

"Wanted for hire:

That ad is hilarious. For the right price I might be willing to tell them what they want to hear. Just like I tell the girlfriend when she asks a stupid question, "Do you want the truth, or do you want to hear something to make you feel good?

This engine concept is obviously poorly considered and has no real commercial value. But there are historical examples of brilliant engine concepts whose inventors struggled mightily to get developed. The most famous is probably Frank Whittle and his turbine engine. The British War Ministry wanted nothing much to do with it.

#10 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:33

The rings are going to have a hard short life as they are completely free and then thrust onto the piston If I am seeing and reading correctly.

As far as I can see the pistons have no rings, these are housed in a sort of a gland around the open end of the cylinder. This goes against all current practices that attempt to minimise crevice volumes, and I guess the piston would be more correctly termed a plunger.

But what really stood out was this:

Because pistons and cylinders are orbiting or rotating on their drive wheel axis, and not changing the direction of motion or velocity (except with change of engine speed) energy that is lost in reciprocating engines is conserved in the Circle Cycle Engine.

So they seem to be implying that it takes energy to reciprocate those pistons in a conventional engine, even one running at constant rpms.

Personally I think the videos could be improved immensely with the addition of a "Yakkety Sax" soundtrack.

#11 manolis

manolis

• 935 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 14:08

Here is another circle - cycle engine for a portable flyer

Posted Image

For more, click PatRE

Compared to Wankel rotary: better breathing, better sealing, compact combustion chamber, 4 (instead of 1) combustions per rotation.

Thanks
Manolis Pattakos