11 replies to this topic

#1 AaPee89

AaPee89

• 41 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 19:51

More information at:
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97201

R.I.P.! :(

Edited by AaPee89, 27 January 2012 - 19:54.

Advertisement

#2 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 20:00

Very sad.

#3 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 20:10

Well at 87 I suppose he had a pretty good run for his money, I saw him race on several occasions in the 50's, and remember his excellent drive in the 1954 British Grand Prix where he finished sixth in tricky conditions. One of four Argentines in the top six.

God bless Roberto.

bauble.

#4 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,215 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 20:49

Sad news, especially as he was doing quite well until his recent illness, and very much working away on his ranch.

I feel he is somewhat of an underrated driver, who perhaps had he stayed in Grand Prix's longer then the 3 years he spent, could've continued his success - he was relatively young compared to many who raced during that era. But by getting out while he could, maybe that's why he made it to 87 and took in a Olympic Games as well.

RIP.

#5 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:28

Sad news, but it is nice that he made it through the 1950's. Roberto was one of my many favorites and I have two special memories of him. Firstly at Silverstone in the 1953 British Grand Prix when his Gordini expired at the exit to Copse Corner and a very glum looking Roberto waved following cars to pass him on both sides and secondly at Aintree two years later when he drove a fine race in the Works 250F , taking up the Maserati challenge after the retirement of Behra, Roberto split the formation of the dominant Mercedes by leading Taruffi's car. Sadly Mieres was also forced to retire from the race, but his spirited driving and colourful shirt certainly helped enliven a long and very hot afternoon. I have always remembered him fondly.

#6 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:59

Sad news, especially as he was doing quite well until his recent illness, and very much working away on his ranch.

I feel he is somewhat of an underrated driver, who perhaps had he stayed in Grand Prix's longer then the 3 years he spent, could've continued his success - he was relatively young compared to many who raced during that era. But by getting out while he could, maybe that's why he made it to 87 and took in a Olympic Games as well.

RIP.

He was in good company in his Olympic yachting foray; he finished 2 places ahead of "Bira" in the "Star" class at the 1960 Games. One could say he led a full life, he was also prominent in Argentine tennis and Rugby circles.

#7 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 18:46

Sad news! :cry:

He was a trully ambassador for the sport, being not only a very talented driver, but also excelled at rowing, rugby, tennis and, of course, yachting.

R.I.P., Roberto :cry: :cry: :cry:

#8 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 19:21

Posted Image
Roberto Mieres and Antonio von Dory in matching outfits at Daytona on April 5, 1959.

Driving von Dory's 1.5-liter Porsche RSK, Mieres and von Dory won an upset victory in the April 1959 USAC race at the Daytona Speedway. Originally scheduled for 1000 KM, the event was scaled back to 901.2 KM because of approaching darkness. The winners finished the race in a little over six hours and earned $5,250 for their efforts.

Photo: Willem Oosthoek Collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 28 January 2012 - 19:24.

#9 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 00:32

robert mieres was racing an XK120 in march 1951 and his race logo on his car and overalls was a picture of a Spade
He later raced a D type jaguar XKD603.
Some details are in our new Jaguar XK120 book
terry
Posted Image

Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/
Visit: www.jtpublications.com.au for full details

Edited by terry mcgrath, 29 January 2012 - 01:23.

#10 ktrhe

ktrhe

• 91 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:37

Sad News
Condolences to Robertos family and friends

R.I.P.

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 18:36

Posted Image

Roberto Mieres in the Maserati 250 enjoying an exchange of opinion with the dreaded Nino Farina (Ferrari Squalo) in the Station Hairpin during practice for the 1955 Monaco GP.

Posted Image

Roberto Mieres (second left) between Piero Taruffi and Luigi Musso, with Eugenio Castellotti and Fangio to the right of Musso - during the on-grid driver briefing preceding the Monaco GP.

All Photos Strictly Copyright: The GP Library

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 30 January 2012 - 18:42.

#12 rudi

rudi

• 345 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 19:02

Posted Image

Roberto Mieres in the Maserati 250 enjoying an exchange of opinion with the dreaded Nino Farina (Ferrari Squalo) in the Station Hairpin during practice for the 1955 Monaco GP.

Posted Image

Roberto Mieres (second left) between Piero Taruffi and Luigi Musso, with Eugenio Castellotti and Fangio to the right of Musso - during the on-grid driver briefing preceding the Monaco GP.

All Photos Strictly Copyright: The GP Library

DCN

Thanks Doug. Great images.
On the left is Elie Bayol.