Photo

2012 BTCC and support series

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#1 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,344 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:56

So, things are slowly starting to take shape in BTCC land. Jason Plato will be driving for MG this year, Chevrolet have pulled their works team out of the championship.

Official website link

http://www.btcc.net/html/home.php

Here is the calender

1 Brands Hatch 01/Apr/2012
2 Donington Park 15/Apr/2012
3 Thruxton 29/Apr/2012
4 Oulton Park 10/Jun/2012
5 Croft 24/Jun/2012
6 Snetterton 12/Aug/2012
7 Knockhill 26/Aug/2012
8 Rockingham 23/Sep/2012
9 Silverstone 07/Oct/2012
10 Brands Hatch GP 21/Oct/2012

Still plenty of time for things to happen, first race isn't until April. Has it been announced yet who will be doing the commentary for ITV4 since Ben Edwards has left to do F1?

Advertisement

#2 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:32

We have a Touring Cars 2012 thread already. TC's ain't that popular so it's better to keep everything in one place :)

#3 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:32

i'd prefer separate threads, saved wading through stuff im not intrested in like dtm

#4 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 15:10

We had a separate BTCC thread last year and it worked well, especially on race weekends when a number of us would be following the racing. I think there's enough interest to justify a BTCC only thread even if during the off season it'll be a bit quiet.

I'm looking forward to the season as it's always entertaining, and with MG I'll have a someone to support. Bring on April and Brands. Depending on my work situation I might try to attend a race this year too.

#5 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 19:36

We had a separate BTCC thread last year and it worked well, especially on race weekends when a number of us would be following the racing. I think there's enough interest to justify a BTCC only thread even if during the off season it'll be a bit quiet.

Then just ignore me! :)

I'll hoping for some good driving by Welch, just because John Welch was(is) a very very good friend of Martin Schanche.

#6 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:05

Is the MG turbocharged? I don't think I can take another year of Plato's whinging. It will be interesting to see how the NG cars do this year and if Honda can dominate yet again.

#7 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 591 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:10

Is the MG turbocharged? I don't think I can take another year of Plato's whinging. It will be interesting to see how the NG cars do this year and if Honda can dominate yet again.

Yup the MG's will be turbocharged.

#8 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,344 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:39

Then just ignore me! :)

I'll hoping for some good driving by Welch, just because John Welch was(is) a very very good friend of Martin Schanche.

Martin Schanche, now he was a driver! Spent many days watching Rallycross at Brands with him driving.

They should bring that back, probably doesn't fit in with Palmers vision for the track though

I think once the season gets nearer this thread will get going, so I prefer also a BTCC only thread

#9 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:44

Yup the MG's will be turbocharged.

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Neal whupping Plato with NO EXCUSES.

Is anyone planning to go to the races? I'm going to try to get to Brands and Silverstone.

Edited by DrF, 03 February 2012 - 06:52.

#10 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:20

Great! I'm looking forward to seeing Matt Neal whupping Plato with NO EXCUSES.

Is anyone planning to go to the races? I'm going to try to get to Brands and Silverstone.

knockhill for sure and possilby oulton park for me

#11 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 13:28

James Nash is heading off to the WTCC with Arena.

#12 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,344 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:17

James Nash is heading off to the WTCC with Arena.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on, and Arena obviously. Lost a bit of interest in the WTCC I must admit though.

I suppose he was a free agent with Triple 8 running the MG programme in the BTCC

#13 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,126 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:32

Will be interesting to see how he gets on, and Arena obviously. Lost a bit of interest in the WTCC I must admit though.

I suppose he was a free agent with Triple 8 running the MG programme in the BTCC

It'll be an interesting battle with Chilton, that's for sure! It's a shame that they're not staying in the BTCC, though.

The other consequence of that news is that Tom Onslow-Cole has left the team and is looking for a drive in the BTCC (he didn't want to switch to the WTCC).

#14 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,853 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:05

So, two Fords replaces one Volvo, and we might get a fourth Chevy. Still not looking veeeeery good for WTCC.

#15 Fourjays

Fourjays

• 242 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 13:31

Didn't realise Arena were going off to WTCC. Not bothered about Chilton going (probably the only BTCC driver I don't like) but hopefully Onslow-Cole can find a seat.

Is WTCC any good compared to the BTCC? Never watched it as I hear negative things about it quite regularly.

#16 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:25

We have a Touring Cars 2012 thread already. TC's ain't that popular so it's better to keep everything in one place :)

Who said they ain't popular :eek:.

I think it is a shame we won't have arena in the BTCC this year. They are the ones I thought had the potential to win outright this year. Still, never mind.

On another note, I wonder what Jason Plato will find to moan about this year?

#17 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:33

Who said they ain't popular :eek:.

I think it is a shame we won't have arena in the BTCC this year. They are the ones I thought had the potential to win outright this year. Still, never mind.

On another note, I wonder what Jason Plato will find to moan about this year?

Those damn non-turbo engines of course! :D

#18 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:36

So, two Fords replaces one Volvo, and we might get a fourth Chevy. Still not looking veeeeery good for WTCC.

Don't forget Thommo in the Lada...

#19 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:27

Those damn non-turbo engines of course! :D

I can't wait for him to be overtaken by a non-turbo car. He will want his turbo turned up. He is going to be the completely opposite kind of annoying this year.

Advertisement

#20 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 14:02

I can't wait for him to be overtaken by a non-turbo car. He will want his turbo turned up. He is going to be the completely opposite kind of annoying this year.

Hehe.

On a serious note though, are there any entries planning on using non-turbo engines? As far as I can tell everyone is moving with the NGTC regs and having a turbo engine this year.

#21 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 14:13

John George for the title.

#22 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 15:55

Or, now he has the same equipment, he goes back to the Jason who was so gracious in defeat to Giovanardi despite driving with mangled hands.

Swings and roundabouts.

#23 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:23

Hehe.

On a serious note though, are there any entries planning on using non-turbo engines? As far as I can tell everyone is moving with the NGTC regs and having a turbo engine this year.

Don't know, I can't see anybody sticking with a non-turbo car. There is going to be little for them to compete for if they don't switch over to NGTC engines.

I think this years launch day is March 19th so we will know more then.

Or, now he has the same equipment, he goes back to the Jason who was so gracious in defeat to Giovanardi despite driving with mangled hands.

Swings and roundabouts.

That would be nice because he is a half decent driver.

#24 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 13:49

The BTCC and it's support series are popular, not a lot of racing purists would admit that though, the series isn't to blame for the 'guilty pleasure' attitude though, just go over to the official BTCC forum and spend 5 minutes reading the utter rubbish on there, it's the new class of fan that makes touring cars too embarrassing to admit that you like it.

#25 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 14:02

The BTCC and it's support series are popular, not a lot of racing purists would admit that though, the series isn't to blame for the 'guilty pleasure' attitude though, just go over to the official BTCC forum and spend 5 minutes reading the utter rubbish on there, it's the new class of fan that makes touring cars too embarrassing to admit that you like it.

Well there's plenty of utter rubbish on this forum too. Just try some of the 'driver' threads.  ;)

#26 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 14:46

Well there's plenty of utter rubbish on this forum too. Just try some of the 'driver' threads. ;)

Haha yes in my time here watching from the sidelines I have become well aware of that, what I do like about this place is that there is a balance of crap and informed opinion, the latter is something that the BTCC forum just doesn't have.

With regards to the BTCC, I'm most looking forward to the new season, a little worried that the series will become a silhouette special type championship though. I don't echo the sentiments of many that are crying about the lack of manufacturers and the increase in pay drivers. For me the best seasons were the late 80s and 1990 and there were hardly any manufacturer backed teams back then was there.

#27 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 15:11

I understand what your saying but I don't know why it should be a guilty pleasure. The racing is in my opinion top draw and really exciting, if you can't admit to enjoying that sort of racing then what can you admit to?

#28 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 45,699 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 15:28

I understand what your saying but I don't know why it should be a guilty pleasure. The racing is in my opinion top draw and really exciting, if you can't admit to enjoying that sort of racing then what can you admit to?

I think this forum just happens to have a lot of the type of fan for whom a series is only exciting if it features works entries from the likes of Audi, Mercedes-Benz and/or BMW.

#29 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 15:43

I do admit to it but many certainly don't for fear of being told ''it's not real racing'' ''glorified stock cars'' etc, it really is not the fault of the series that people don't admit to liking it but the fault of the type of fans they'd be compared to.

#30 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 17:54

I think this forum just happens to have a lot of the type of fan for whom a series is only exciting if it features works entries from the likes of Audi, Mercedes-Benz and/or BMW.

Like WTCC you mean?

I do admit to it but many certainly don't for fear of being told ''it's not real racing'' ''glorified stock cars'' etc, it really is not the fault of the series that people don't admit to liking it but the fault of the type of fans they'd be compared to.

I get what your saying. It wouldn't be the first time my mum has said its a cleaner version of banger racing. Although, it doesn't stop her coming to watch. :lol:

#31 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 19:43

The problem many have is the fact that at times the driving does come close to being big bumper cars. However most of the time it's great racing.

As for the WTCC (World Touring Chevy Cruz) well no one watches that at all.

#32 Currahee

Currahee

• 595 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 19:43

Thats the 2 I try and get to. Knockhill is a great wee circuit. :)

#33 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 10,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:10

i'd prefer separate threads, saved wading through stuff im not intrested in like dtm

:rotfl:

:)

#34 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,344 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:59

Haha yes in my time here watching from the sidelines I have become well aware of that, what I do like about this place is that there is a balance of crap and informed opinion, the latter is something that the BTCC forum just doesn't have.

With regards to the BTCC, I'm most looking forward to the new season, a little worried that the series will become a silhouette special type championship though. I don't echo the sentiments of many that are crying about the lack of manufacturers and the increase in pay drivers. For me the best seasons were the late 80s and 1990 and there were hardly any manufacturer backed teams back then was there.

You have to be of a certain age I suppose, but Robb Gravett against Andy Rouse will always be a highlight for me!

On the subject of Jason Plato, he can be annoying but you have to admit he is a top driver and the series wouldn't be the same without him

#35 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:11

I didn't realise you had to be of a certain age to be a BTCC fan... I'm 22 and have been a big fan since the mid-90's, but then there are people of the same age as myself who have only recently got into the BTCC, so are any lesser for it? No, the series is great and there's excellent racing to be found at every event. There are high-profile drivers and more 'local heroes', both of which appeal to the variety of different fans.

I finally went to my first race event last year, the Brands Hatch GP circuit,(don't know why I hadn't before) and have to say it was absolutely fantastic. I thought it might be a bit underwhelming given you see every bump, scrape, pass and moan on the TV, but plonking myself at Druids for races 1 and 2, and then wandering around the circuit for the supports, ending up at Stirlings for the final race was every bit as exciting as sat on my couch with a few beers. I can't imagine getting anywhere as excited for a DTM or WTCC race, which are invariably dull and held on dull, lifeless circuits (or on truncated versions of classic circuits...).

Give me BTCC every time. It's range of manufacturers represented is growing thanks to the NGTC rules (which have also made for much beefier looking cars compared to the S2000 ones), the competitive order is varied from circuit to circuit and can spring surprises (Wrathall and Austin at Knockhill last year), and it's accessible for a TV audience and at the circuit itself. What else could you want?

I'd personally rank the BTC era and parts of the S2000 as not quite the BTCC's best, but the current ideas and rules being implemented are taking it back in the direction of the classic Supertouring and Group A eras IMO.

#36 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,344 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:50

I didn't realise you had to be of a certain age to be a BTCC fan...

What I meant was to have appreciated the Sierra battles of the late 80's you obviously have to have seen them. Not you have to be a certain age to be a BTCC fan

Of course nowadays almost everything from any season is available on the internet

#37 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:57

What I meant was to have appreciated the Sierra battles of the late 80's you obviously have to have seen them. Not you have to be a certain age to be a BTCC fan

Of course nowadays almost everything from any season is available on the internet

I wasn't being antagonistic, so sorry if that impression was given. I just meant that you don't always have to be a history buff to enjoy the now. I have seen the Sierra battles and much more, because I'm that mental motorsport fan who has nothing better to do than spend an afternoon on youtube glued to old clips.

Some of the newer fans enjoy the series in it's current form, and aren't necessarily interested in what's gone before. You see it with F1-specific fans too. It's only that the BTCC and motorsport in general was such a big part of my childhood that I'm so inclined to go back and 'relive' my younger days. The 'live in the now' segment of fans only seems like it's increased with the growing presence of the internet in more branches of motorsports. I don't think many casual fans would've thought about heading to a forum or messageboard even 5 years ago, but now it's an increasing area for new fans to congregate, not realising that the forum has been the haunt of the 'anoraks' for many years previously, and that their own impressions and ideas will almost inevitably grate on the established fans.

#38 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:20

I live literally 5 minutes from Oulton Park and and I go to most of the events there (apart from bikes :well: boring!). I have also been to Snetterton and Silverstone to watch the BTCC.

#39 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:06

I wasn't being antagonistic, so sorry if that impression was given. I just meant that you don't always have to be a history buff to enjoy the now. I have seen the Sierra battles and much more, because I'm that mental motorsport fan who has nothing better to do than spend an afternoon on youtube glued to old clips.

The older seasons are beginning to be launched on DVD so you can absorb yourself with hours of the stuff :cool:

I'd never sell a real fan short, never. The 'class' of fans I was talking about are the ones who like to get beered up and cheer the crashes, for me they are the ones that spoil the series.

Advertisement

#40 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 13:47

The older seasons are beginning to be launched on DVD so you can absorb yourself with hours of the stuff :cool:

I'd never sell a real fan short, never. The 'class' of fans I was talking about are the ones who like to get beered up and cheer the crashes, for me they are the ones that spoil the series.

Yep, I know what you mean there.

#41 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 14:07

Looking at the confirmed teams/drivers who do you all think will fair well this season?

For me it'll be hard to discount team dynamics, you can never write off Plato even with a new car, Neate will spring many surprises this year and I'm hoping for great things from Lea Wood also. Praying to the big man upstairs that we don't get the shouty, cliched Charlie Cox in the commentary box.

Edited by TheUNDERCUT, 13 February 2012 - 14:08.

#42 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 14:09

I used to quite like cox when he did it in the late nineties, but i guess it was more a childhood thing.

And what surprise from neate? Finding even more money down the back of the sofa?.

#43 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 14:18

I used to quite like cox when he did it in the late nineties, but i guess it was more a childhood thing.

And what surprise from neate? Finding even more money down the back of the sofa?.

Andy is a very capable driver, look at the speeds relative to Chilton and Onslow-Cole last year, he was often the quickest of the 3 Fords on race day but on his own admission never got qualifying quite right. He has a great ability to develop a car, something that hasn't been able to show through in the BTCC yet. Yes the lad has money, he hasn't always had it and works damn hard for it but the argument that he's only there because of the size of his wallet really is not right, he is there on merit as well. Too many of the class of fans I've mentioned before used that argument against quite a few drivers in the series and quite frankly it is boring.

#44 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 15:18

It will be interesting to see how the likes of Frank Wrathell, Rob Austin and Dan Welch get on this year. They have run complete NGTC cars last year and I wonder whether they will be at an advantage all be slight over those that are following the NGTC rules in full for the first time this year. Although, I don't think I will include Team Dynamics in that.

As for all this rubbish about pay drivers. I think it is complete codswallop. Andy Neate has quite clearly got more than enough talent to warrant a drive in the BTCC regardless of how much money he brings with him. Put it this way I would rather have him in my car than Tom Chilton and I think he will be very worthy to compete along side Jason Plato in the new MG6.

Also, I think the NGTC cars look so much nicer and racier than the S2000 cars.

EDIT - I also wonder who will be doing the commentary on ITV4 now Ben Edwards has departed for pastures new.

Edited by robbied90, 13 February 2012 - 15:47.

#45 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 16:07

Looking at the confirmed teams/drivers who do you all think will fair well this season?

For me it'll be hard to discount team dynamics, you can never write off Plato even with a new car, Neate will spring many surprises this year and I'm hoping for great things from Lea Wood also. Praying to the big man upstairs that we don't get the shouty, cliched Charlie Cox in the commentary box.

I think Honda Racing have a very good chance. I don't like Matt Neal very much and really want. Sheddon to win, but Neal is awesome, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wins again. I hope Frank Wrathell continues to shine in the Avensis. I won't miss Chilton, who I thought was overrated, dunno what's happened to Onslow-Cole, is he racing in BTCC this year?

I see Pirtek are running the same NGTC civics as the factory team... cool!
http://www.crash.net...s_for_2012.html

I really rate Jordan and I would love to see someone knock Neal off his perch! Its going to be an exciting season!

#46 TheUNDERCUT

TheUNDERCUT

• 63 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 16:14

I think Honda Racing have a very good chance. I don't like Matt Neal very much and really want. Sheddon to win, but Neal is awesome, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wins again. I hope Frank Wrathell continues to shine in the Avensis. I won't miss Chilton, who I thought was overrated, dunno what's happened to Onslow-Cole, is he racing in BTCC this year?

I really rate Jordan and I would love to see someone knock Neal off his perch! Its going to be an exciting season!

I think the latest word from him was that he is talking to a few teams but is having problems getting his budget together, sad as I think the guy is a handy little racer. Definitely agree with you on Jordan, I rate him highly too.

#47 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 16:17

Thanks for that useful nugget of information :clap: . I knew they were running NGTC Civics I didn't realise they were the same as the factory teams cars though. Will Team Dynamics be sharing any upgrades with Pirtek or are Pirtek on there own regards development?

That will be interesting like you say because Jordan has some hidden potential which he showed at times last season.

Regarding Onslow Cole. Should he of really left AMD when he did. It didn't get him very far and know look where it has left him. I agree though it is a shame.

Edited by robbied90, 13 February 2012 - 16:19.

#48 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 16:38

Thanks for that useful nugget of information :clap: . I knew they were running NGTC Civics I didn't realise they were the same as the factory teams cars though. Will Team Dynamics be sharing any upgrades with Pirtek or are Pirtek on there own regards development?

That will be interesting like you say because Jordan has some hidden potential which he showed at times last season.

Regarding Onslow Cole. Should he of really left AMD when he did. It didn't get him very far and know look where it has left him. I agree though it is a shame.

I suppose they can always buy the upgrades from team dynamics as they come, same as Honda racing, although I suspect HR will have more money to spend.

#49 robbied90

robbied90

• 85 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:22

I suppose they can always buy the upgrades from team dynamics as they come, same as Honda racing, although I suspect HR will have more money to spend.

That and how efficently the team Pirtek team is run.

#50 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,344 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:30

Fans can get in free to the media day at Silverstone

http://www.btcc.net/...amp;searchterm=