Photo

2012 BTCC and support series

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#401 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:13

Watching those Hondas slipping around in race 3... That looked like hard work! Particularly if yr doing it with one hand.

Kudos to Arron Smith for doing about all you could in an S2000 too :up:

Advertisement

#402 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:47

Did ITV4 show the post-race crash in the Clios? Happened right in front of me and sounded very nasty but I didn't see what caused it (and there are no big screens at Rockingham for replays etc.). I hope it wasn't a deliberate shunt.

#403 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,157 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 21:55

Can't believe both commentators missed Shedden going sideways into turn one, destined to hit the wall and somehow keeping it out, at the beginning of race three. Hope he takes the title, Neal is only really in it as he isn't retiring as often as Plato or Shedden.

#404 y2cragie

y2cragie

• 271 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:16

Can't believe both commentators missed Shedden going sideways into turn one, destined to hit the wall and somehow keeping it out, at the beginning of race three. Hope he takes the title, Neal is only really in it as he isn't retiring as often as Plato or Shedden.

Twitter blew up with loads of comments from other drivers to flash about that. The guy has some sort of 6th sense in the wet, and has been virtually untouchable in every wet race.

#405 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:31

Can't believe both commentators missed Shedden going sideways into turn one, destined to hit the wall and somehow keeping it out, at the beginning of race three.

So did I and I was sat in front of it. Looking forward to seeing it on the highlights (and seeing if our brave stand against the elements in the open grandstand got any TV time...)

#406 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,790 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 00:12

Did ITV4 show the post-race crash in the Clios? Happened right in front of me and sounded very nasty but I didn't see what caused it (and there are no big screens at Rockingham for replays etc.). I hope it wasn't a deliberate shunt.

Yes. It looked accidental to me - one driver was very close behind another as they passed the chequered flag, then the collision occurred as the driver in front lifted off approaching the Turn One banking for the slow-down lap, as if the following driver was unaware that the race had stopped due to the poor visibility.

EDIT: Here's a video.

Edited by midgrid, 26 September 2012 - 00:14.

#407 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:14

I noticed that and the commentators were obviously concentrating on something else.

Thouhgt I had imagined it until your post!

#408 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:15

Rather than making a separate thread, are there any rumoured silly season changes for the BTCC drivers? Autosport quotes Tony Gilham as planning a four car NGTC assault including at least one 'big name'...

There are also discussions about bringing in other championship to replace the old Formula Renault, with some suggestion of Formula Ford. I think an open-wheeler series would be best, to avoid the card becoming too similar, although I can imagine the FFord drivers would prefer to stay with the Formula Three card as there is natural progression there and it is a chance to meet the teams they are hoping to drive for. Perhaps a series like MSV's F3 Cup would be better, an open-wheel series for established drivers that is not being pitched as a junior 'progression' series.

Edited by TimRTC, 01 October 2012 - 11:17.

#409 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:08

No racing for now. Very thick fog. No sign of it clearing either.

EDIT: 0920 just clearing.

Edited by TimRTC, 07 October 2012 - 08:23.

#410 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:01

No racing for now. Very thick fog. No sign of it clearing either.

EDIT: 0920 just clearing.

It had better clear, looking forward to this!

#411 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:50

Racing on. The Carrera cup drivers were really going into it blind. Cleared up more for the Clios, but never seen so many black and yellow flags! Cleared up a lot more now. Sounds like the Porsche GT3 race is being rescheduled.

Edited by TimRTC, 07 October 2012 - 09:55.

#412 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:07

I'm a bit surprised that they're still using the old National circuit and not the new pits and International circuit for what is really one of the track's highest profile events.

#413 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:30

I'm a bit surprised that they're still using the old National circuit and not the new pits and International circuit for what is really one of the track's highest profile events.

As Jessy J once sang...

From all accounts Silverstone charge quite a bit for the full GP circuit and new pits. A shame as it would be nice to see them on it.

#414 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 921 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:34

I know BTCC is meant as entertainment not a true sport - but the reduced boost for the Hondas to allow the MG to compete (or rather Plato to catch up) is a bit of a joke.

If the Honda is a better car, it's a better car - why hobble it on engine power to to artificially influence the results.

#415 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:41

As Jessy J once sang...

From all accounts Silverstone charge quite a bit for the full GP circuit and new pits. A shame as it would be nice to see them on it.

Fair enough. At least the national circuit produces good racing.

#416 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:17

Gutted for Jackson. Always the risk of something breaking on a new car. That was going to be his race though.

The championship closes up. Bring on race 2.

#417 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:24

Awww... Matt! :cry:

#418 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:24

Why do BTCC always use their strange little truck podium. Got a great view from the grandstands of the circuit podium but the TOCA one is completely out of sight.

#419 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:43

Tough luck for Neal. Spectacular fire though.

Advertisement

#420 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:43

Big fire on Matt's car!

Congratulations to Matt Jackson & the team. Motor base group hug :lol:

Edited by billm99uk, 07 October 2012 - 13:59.

#421 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:00

What an unpredictable day of racing!

#422 fifi

fifi

• 12,152 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:04

been 2 great races so far, hoping good things from race 3

#423 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:16

There are also discussions about bringing in other championship to replace the old Formula Renault, with some suggestion of Formula Ford. I think an open-wheeler series would be best, to avoid the card becoming too similar, although I can imagine the FFord drivers would prefer to stay with the Formula Three card as there is natural progression there and it is a chance to meet the teams they are hoping to drive for. Perhaps a series like MSV's F3 Cup would be better, an open-wheel series for established drivers that is not being pitched as a junior 'progression' series.

Brit-based single seaters seem in a bit of a hole at the moment, don't they? FRenault not coming back. FFords struggling for cars as the Ecoboost variant doesn't seem to have taken off. Intersteps the same. You're left with either clubbie type stuff, which BARC Renault was supposed to be or something new (Formula Four?). Why is it so hard to do a really cheap single seater series these days?

#424 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:27

:mad: TV signal konks out just as Plato's car breaks down.

#425 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:47

:mad: TV signal konks out just as Plato's car breaks down.

I saw it just fine  ;)

Massive grid in the BARC FRenault.

#426 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:52

Are Plato and Neal going to make it out for race 3 at all :eek:

#427 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,807 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:12

Massive grid in the BARC FRenault.

Interesting! I have Norwegian friend debuting there today.

#428 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 17:00

By hook or by crook Gow has got his Brands finalé going to the wire.

#429 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:51

Two drives to win from the back of the field. Don't see that too often :)

#430 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 18:57

...and I didn't see race 3 because of the power failure in my building. Oh well. It's not the first time I've missed BTCC races and it's not the end of the world.

#431 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 921 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 19:03

Two drives to win from the back of the field. Don't see that too often :)

When you give some cars higher levels of boost on a track that are 50% straights :rotfl:

The balance system is a joke - especially when you have the MG's with Neate dragging the average performanceof the car well down to ensure Plato maintains boost levels even following a weekend where it's clear that MG's boost advantage more than overcomes the superior chassis of the Honda.

#432 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 20:06

Having spent the last 2 days attending to the BTCC I am too tired to give a report now but I shall do so tomorrow. It's amazing we even got an event today as the fog was awful; couldn't see from 1 side of Copse to the other.

#433 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,790 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 21:37

The BTCC is still a decent series, but the boost equalisation rules are really damaging my interest this year. I've been following the series closely since 2004 and this is my least favourite year so far (this may also be due to the field lacking depth compared to previous years).

#434 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 22:35

When you give some cars higher levels of boost on a track that are 50% straights :rotfl:

Cynic  ;) Still I'd agree they've pegged the Hondas back too hard. Suspect they'll get a bit back for the finale, as did Shedden.

The balance system is a joke - especially when you have the MG's with Neate dragging the average performanceof the car well down to ensure Plato maintains boost levels even following a weekend where it's clear that MG's boost advantage more than overcomes the superior chassis of the Honda.

I was wondering what Neate is there for, thanks :smoking:

#435 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:17

I was wondering what Neate is there for, thanks :smoking:

Well he is definitely not there for PR purposes:

https://twitter.com/...1175810/photo/1

#436 Peat

Peat

• 1,325 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:27

By hook or by crook Gow has got his Brands finalé going to the wire.

^This

The BTCC is still a decent series, but the boost equalisation rules are really damaging my interest this year. I've been following the series closely since 2004 and this is my least favourite year so far (this may also be due to the field lacking depth compared to previous years).

It's not still decent though.

The cars are slow and unspectacular.
They sound awful.
They look awful (like they have crashed into a branch of Halfords)
The driving standards are abysmal.
The 'equalisation' is a joke. (I hate to agree with Matt Neal, but if a car can drive from 20th to first without the help of attrition in an 'equalized' field, there is something wrong)

The last 2 years, i have rarely caught any BTCC races because of the above, plus the fact that the support package is now pretty stagnant. The BARC Renault's were a good addition yesterday, i admit though that i was mainly watching for that as i know a few people involved.

#437 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:15

They were better?

#438 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:32

... plus the fact that the support package is now pretty stagnant. The BARC Renault's were a good addition yesterday, i admit though that i was mainly watching for that as i know a few people involved.

This I will agree with - yesterday we had three Porsche races and a Ginetta supercup race, all much too similar. If I could rewrite the TOCA card:

Obviously the Touring Cars would top the bill, but add some more variation. Keep the three race formats for most meetings, but perhaps twice a year the series could instead have a single endurance format race with mandatory pit stop and double points on offer. Give a chance for drivers and teams who can be consistent to win races. Consider a trip to somewhere like Zandvoort to get some more European promotion and try and encourage more international drivers and teams into the championship.

Keep the Porsche Carrera cup as it provides a nice tie-in to the international series.
Replace the Clios with a more open style like the VW Racing cup - essentially a one-marque touring car race promoted as the step below BTCC for upcoming drivers. Provides a bit more variation and differential between the drivers.
Keep the Ginetta Juniors - a great chance for young drivers to get TV coverage and usually highly enjoyable.
Ditch the Ginetta Supercup, too similar to the Porsches and replace it with a new open-wheel formula, but one that is billed as a championship in its own right and not just a junior series aiming for F1. There are hundreds of drivers out there who have made it through F3, F3000, GP2/3, FR3.5 etc. etc. but not got into F1 who would doubtless be keen to compete in a televised national series. Something along the lines of the old British F1 Championship, although obviously for cost reasons perhaps using F3 regulations (for the first seasons, perhaps properly homogolated F3 and GP2 cars could be used).
Use the final spot as a dedicated guest series spot - give some promotion to other national series, it has worked well this season, but could be made into a specific entry on the card. Could provide some real highlights, like showing the NASCAR style pickup-trucks on the full Rockingham oval.

#439 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:44

Been watching BTCC since the late 80's and people say that every year :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#440 DrF

DrF

• 1,504 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 22:09

So can we expect to see Plato and Jackson on reduced boost at Brands? Hondas will be quicker there so it will be down to the drivers, at last. Not much fun watching Plato and Jackson scythe their way through the field in such obviously superior cars.

#441 Peat

Peat

• 1,325 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:07

Is that how they do it? Aggregate between all the teams drivers? If so that is loony.

#442 J Plato

J Plato

• 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 13:39

Your statement is incorrect...... TOCA only use the times from the fastest car. For the record, MG had the 2nd lowest boost, Honda had the lowest.

Wouldn't be great if internet warriors bothered to learn the facts before spouting rubbish? Still, we can only hope!

See ya,

JP

#443 swerved

swerved

• 3,677 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 14:06

Quiet in ere innit, still, not the first time Plato's clipped a wing :lol:

#444 DS27

DS27

• 1,092 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 19:00

It's not still decent though.

The cars are slow and unspectacular.
They sound awful.
They look awful (like they have crashed into a branch of Halfords)
The 'equalisation' is a joke. (I hate to agree with Matt Neal, but if a car can drive from 20th to first without the help of attrition in an 'equalized' field, there is something wrong)

The last 2 years, i have rarely caught any BTCC races because of the above, plus the fact that the support package is now pretty stagnant. The BARC Renault's were a good addition yesterday, i admit though that i was mainly watching for that as i know a few people involved.

Yep, agree with pretty much all this, especially as Plato had gone from virtually the back of the grid to first in something like half the race distance. Ridiculous really, but hey it makes it close for Brands. Anything other than a Neal win suits me. I guess not many people could begrudge Shedden a championship after all these years.

I hear Mercedes is trying to encourage Gow to get involved with running F1...

BTW; Mr P - you joined the forum in 2009, but the first thing written on this forum than made you want to reply was about boost levels? Really!! Would have thought some of the other comments made by the internet warriors may have got your goat slightly more :)

Edited by DS27, 10 October 2012 - 19:16.

#445 DrF

DrF

• 1,504 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 22:52

Your statement is incorrect...... TOCA only use the times from the fastest car. For the record, MG had the 2nd lowest boost, Honda had the lowest.

Wouldn't be great if internet warriors bothered to learn the facts before spouting rubbish? Still, we can only hope!

See ya,

JP

So you should be happy to have less boost than the Hondas for Brands, seeing as you said the MG has the best chassis.

#446 TimRTC

TimRTC

• 842 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 20:31

Formula Ford returns in 2013

Should add some nice variation to the series, although I would have preferred BARC FRenault.

#447 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,954 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 21:14

Formula Ford returns in 2013

Should add some nice variation to the series, although I would have preferred BARC FRenault.

Well I hope they get more EcoBoost cars than they had this year...

#448 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:53

I see there is an article on the Autosport front page looking back at the 1992 title decider. Still remember watching that race!

Anyway let's hope there is no such controversy at Brands this weekend.

I reckon Plato is just about going to snatch the title from Sheddon

#449 fifi

fifi

• 12,152 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:46

I reckon Plato is just about going to snatch the title from Sheddon

i really hope not :/

#450 blackhand2010

blackhand2010

• 282 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 13:07

I think Sheddon has it covered.
Not least because he'll have Neal and Jordan as back up, and Plato has, ummm, Neate... and lets be honest, I can't imagine Matt Neal being backward in coming forward to either pass or defend against Plato...

Plus, the Honda should be significantly better at Brands, despite boost levels, than they were at Silverstone.