Photo

Another Austin 7 special question :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:42

Inspired by dolomite's photo thread, I wonder if I could ask about my own A7 "special"?

Does this Austin 7 special ring a bell with anyone? It came off the road in '59 and went into storage, where it remained until I found it.

It was built by a chap with the surname Everett, an engineer, and was registered in this form in the late 1940s. A multi-page write-up about the car appears in a 750MC magazine from 1955 (I think). From what I can tell, various A7 bits went into it as the photos show:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It appears to have a bog-standard Chummy engine and chassis, with a modified tub from an EA Sports, although whether it ever had a more pokey unit in it beforehand I don't know.

At some point in its earlier life, the bulkhead has been modified with a riveted-in panel to accommodate a back-swept exhaust. The body's pointed tail has been replaced by a home-made version, possibly after a rear-end nerf? The top of the rad surround looks like ex-Swallow. I've no idea whether it was used competitively or not? Its stance suggests a trials car, but I'm not sure it was ever used for trials. The body may have led an active life before being modified and installed onto the Chummy chassis shown here.

Any information much appreciated.

thanks, RJ

Advertisement

#2 ErleMin

ErleMin

• 94 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 16:50

As with the other A7 enquiry, Ken Cooke is the man to ask at 750MC, especially since I see that it has a 750MC steering wheel badge on the front! If he doesn't know then he will put it about and find out.

Edited by ErleMin, 06 February 2012 - 16:51.

#3 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 19:08

Not entirely sure why I remember this but I am confident the the KL registration combination was issued by a CC office in Kent, top car, sorry I can't be more specific or helpful.

#4 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,530 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 21:11

Not entirely sure why I remember this but I am confident the the KL registration combination was issued by a CC office in Kent, top car, sorry I can't be more specific or helpful.

1949ish Maidstone http://www.numberpla...sued/issued.asp

#5 oldclassiccar

oldclassiccar

• 270 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 21:13

Yes Maidstone it was, fortunately their records office still had mention of the car so I was able to get its reg. no. back :)

RJ

#6 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 23:15

Yes Maidstone it was, fortunately their records office still had mention of the car so I was able to get its reg. no. back :)

RJ

I believe around the time KYK 538 would have been registered the CC office was known as Kent not sure if Maidstone was a later renaming of an extant office or aggregation of several Kent CC offices in the 1970's ?

#7 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:39

I believe around the time KYK 538 would have been registered the CC office was known as Kent not sure if Maidstone was a later renaming of an extant office or aggregation of several Kent CC offices in the 1970's ?

KYK was a London registration - what has it to do with this, which is LKL513 which was Kent as stated above?

1949ish Maidstone http://www.numberpla...sued/issued.asp

That apparantly helpful site is pretty rough and ready. It only tells you the date span for the letter combination, rather than the date for the whole number.
e.g. if you feed is any "BS" number, most of which are the "age related" new issues, it happily tells us:
This combination was issued from Dec 1903 to Dec 1964.

This plate would have been issued by Orkney C.C. (currently Inverness (Kirkwall) ).

Edited by Allan Lupton, 07 February 2012 - 09:18.

#8 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:58

KYK was a London registration - what has it to do with this, which is LKL513 which was Kent as stated above?

Doh ! Typo ! Your correct Allan, I did indeed mean LKL was listed as Kent CC before Maidstone was given as the registration office in the 1970's. :blush:

Off to Specsavers next !