Photo

F1 Coverage Thread - 2012 Season (BBC and Sky)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3997 replies to this topic

#3901 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,878 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 17:11

Great choice. She will do well.

Certainly better to look at than Jake or Simon on Sky!

Advertisement

#3902 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,948 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 17:12

Loved seeing her dad get grilled by Eddie on the forum. :rotfl:

#3903 g1n

g1n

• 877 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 19:40

Great choice. She will do well.

She did not do well at all in Japan last year.

#3904 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,646 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 19:46

Georgie Thompson is absolutely useless

We know but her gender will keep her in the job unfortunately.

#3905 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 19:50

I cringe when Georgie throws in her observations on the Sky Pad, then Ant has to acknowledge it as if to say she has a clue what she's talking about.

#3906 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 19:50

We know but her gender will keep her in the job unfortunately.

Personally i think Georgie has done a fantastic job. She'll keep her job because she deserves it. To be honest i'd prefer her anchoring the program instead of Lazenby.

#3907 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,224 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:13

- http://www.bbc.co.uk...jvjpb/?t=01m55s
- http://www.bbc.co.uk...jvjpb/?t=21m30s

#3908 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,923 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:13

Exactly. Martin Whittaker anyone!? :rotfl:

#3909 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,459 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:24

Exactly. Martin Whittaker anyone!? :rotfl:

I thought she did really well!!! Eddie makes more mistakes in one programme than Lee has over a whole season.

I think she will do a fantastic job.

#3910 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,073 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:37

Personally i think Georgie has done a fantastic job. She'll keep her job because she deserves it. To be honest i'd prefer her anchoring the program instead of Lazenby.

I think she's terrible.

its like having a nodding dog next to Ant. tbh I'd get rid of both of them, the skypad is pretty pointless really.

#3911 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,224 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:43

I think she's terrible.

its like having a nodding dog next to Ant. tbh I'd get rid of both of them, the skypad is pretty pointless really.

Do you watch The F1 Show on Friday's? She presents on there, and does a very good job alongside Ted.

#3912 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:44

I think Lee will do well. She seems to have an excellent raport with the drivers and I've liked her presenting before.

#3913 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,461 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 20:46

Seeing both Sky and BBC on the Red Bull barge after the race was kind of awkward. Seems to be a lot of jostling for ascendancy and feel really sorry the drivers having to duplicate all of their interviews, I know they do this to some extent already, but that additional primary interview must be a pain in the backside.

Poor Mark had to celebrate his win first with the BBC crew on the barge and then with Sky, all within minutes.

#3914 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:06

I now think I'd prefer Georgie as the main presenter, Simon was very poor today.

#3915 JRizzle86

JRizzle86

• 2,087 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:25

Best bit of the weekend

#3916 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:36

Best bit of the weekend

That was hilarious, Mark's come back was great. :lol:

#3917 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:38

Best bit of the weekend

Yeah great TV, best bit of F1 build up coverage this season.

#3918 Dolph

Dolph

• 4,923 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:45

I thought she did really well!!! Eddie makes more mistakes in one programme than Lee has over a whole season.

I think she will do a fantastic job.

Nobody's suggesting Eddie's competent. :) I used to hate him but now I love him. :)

#3919 CodeRacing

CodeRacing

• 582 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 21:52

Eddie Jordan is completely hilarious. The Sky team with Lazenby at the helm is horrid--he's just horrible. Thompson has no idea whats going on either, she'll make a generic, stupid remark to Ant about something that's happened in the race, and you could see him fighting not to correct her idiocy.

Advertisement

#3920 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,184 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 22:18

Usually if the BBC are covering the race I watch it on there. However I decided to try Sky today and then go back to the BBC and watch it on iPlayer.

So the comment about Princess Grace was out of order. Ok that is understatement of the year. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets into really serious trouble about that. It could cost him his job at the end of the year as I don't think it will go down well amongst the Principality of Monaco.

However, other than that.

Johnny Herbert is perfect. He actually brings Damon to life. Martin looked like a spare part at times. It is now similar to the BBC but a bit fresher. They haven't totally gelled yet, but it is getting there and is a vast improvement since the last time I watched it on Sky. Compare it to Australia and it is like 2 totally different tv channels.

The BBC are really missing Ted. It ruined the BBC coverage for me. Although, I do like Gary, but something seems to be missing.

I'm not a fan of Ben Edwards on the BBC. Crofty is settling down better and the commentary and that is improving. Martin and Crofty are more gelled together than Ben and DC. It remnds me of Martin and Legard.

The Skypad is still completely pointless.

The BBC features are loads better than the Sky features.

Natalie is improving way quicker than I expected. Last year at the BBC I thought she was a pointless waste of time, but this year she has seriously improved, still not a patch on Lee though.

I have to say, and I am shocked that I am saying it so early into the season, but the Sky coverage is not that far off the BBC coverage. If they continue improving at this rate over the season, I think they will be better than the BBC when they are both showing live coverage.

I think that what is doing it is that the BBC seems a bit tired and lacklustre. I dunno, something didn't feel right, something was missing.

Am I alone in this view?

#3921 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,791 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 22:32

I'm not a fan of Ben Edwards on the BBC. Crofty is settling down better and the commentary and that is improving. Martin and Crofty are more gelled together than Ben and DC. It remnds me of Martin and Legard.

I'm really surprised by this, to be honest. Edwards has made a few mistakes in the heat of the moment (and usually corrects himself, or is corrected by DC afterwards), but in my opinion he is a far better commentator than Legard ever was, and his partnership with Coulthard is also a huge improvement on the Legard-Brundle pairing (and also last year's Brundle-Coulthard duo, in my opinion). There's no dead air (except when Edwards says "let's listen!" during an onboard section), and the partnership feels far more assured in every respect. They have talked over each other a couple of times, fair enough, but I've never heard a motorsport commentary duo in which this doesn't happen occasionally (unless it's a situation in which the colour commentator never speaks on their own initiative, and always has to be directly induced to speak, which I find to be stilted and more annoying).

Regarding your main point about something missing from the BBC, I myself expected to miss Brundle and Kravitz this year, but in fact I don't at all! Coulthard now has enough experience to hold his own as a pundit and commentator without Brundle, and also has more up-to-date knowledge about competing in the sport. I have also been impressed by Anderson's explanations and insights, despite the fact that he is not the most natural TV presenter. For some reason I am also far less annoyed by the main presenting trio's wacky antics and banter than I was liable to be in the past, which I can't explain. Overall, I am happy with only having BBC coverage this year despite the defection of key personnel and half of the races on tape-delay. My only significant complaint is that the Bahrain highlights programme, noticeably shorter than the previous two highlights packages, did feel too short, as if it was just on the wrong side of a crucial threshold of perception.

#3922 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,819 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 00:49

Anyone knows what the song Red Bull played when Hill held the Monaco trophy is called? It really reminded me of something, I just cannot remember what!

#3923 ahpadt

ahpadt

• 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:03

Best bit of the weekend

Watching it the 2nd time now. Just noticed that it was actually filmed in China (check garage name)...

On another note I didn't really like Gary Anderson in the beginning of the season. Seemed terribly pro Red Bull, which I still think he is but at a lesser extent, but I now really enjoy getting a real engineering point of view on technicalities.

There is only so much a driver like Brundle can bring to the table when it comes to technical stuff. BBC hasn't really missed out on anything compared to what Sky offers this year imo.

Edited by ahpadt, 28 May 2012 - 01:11.

#3924 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:06

I don't know about Gary Anderson, but the BBC team is very pro Redbull, is this due to DC or is there some other reason why the BBC align themselves to Redbull?

Is it a coolness association factor or something else?

#3925 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:19

Having caught up with Sky's quali coverage and race highlights after watching the BBC live, I felt that Edwards and DC actually had the edge over Brundle and Crofty. In general I felt that they were much more on top of what was happening and who was where in quali (even knowing the results, I felt the Sky duo were doing a worse job in making up for the lack of sidebar). And in the race DC immediately picked up on Webber being cautious because he was the first car going into damp conditions and explained the difficulty well to the viewers. Brundle however didn't seem to realise that at all and him and Crofty kept rabbiting on about the tyres going off. I also felt the whole Sky team got too preoccupied with the Mercedes theory that Webber was helping Vettel, whilst the BBC discussed the possibility and moved on in a more timely manner.

However, there's no denying that Brundle and Crofty are good personalities and they did pick up on the odd thing the BBC didn't, like how the leading train of cars was actually holding up the lapped Perez towards the end. I would say they are the more charismatic duo but in terms of the quality of information I felt the BBC were the better option overall.

I didn't watch the Sky pre and post shows so I can't comment on that. I felt the BBC was mostly good, with things like the McLaren TV feature being an example of what they do well. And even EJ's questions were slightly less rambling and pointless than usual.

Oh, and I did think they were throwing to Gary Anderson in the pits a lot more than was necessary.

#3926 Peat

Peat

• 1,326 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:39

While it's interesting to note the difference between rival broadcasters, it can't be '99 page' interesting. Jeeebus.

I will watch whatever is live, i'm not interested particually in the bumph as it can't tell me anything i don't already know from the internet news/fora. Nor do i care particually about commentators as i tend to talk (shout) over them anyway. (Legard was an exception, he was so diabolical that i couldnt look past it).

I will check out the BBC Forum during the week and perhaps have a scan of the Sky analysis if it starts raining outside.... Better things to be doing than watching tele!

#3927 Prancing Horse

Prancing Horse

• 53 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:37

Happy so far with the BBC but David Coulthard's constant digs at Schumacher are getting old, obviously he's bitter on account of him having his arse handed to him by Michael for so many years but he really needs to get over it and move on.

#3928 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,224 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:42

http://www.dailymail...acos-death.html

#3929 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:45

That is pretty harsh given the washout that was qualy in Japan that year.

I thought she did fine. I'm not really sure what more some people want!

#3930 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:09

http://www.dailymail...acos-death.html

I'm amazed it took them so long to get that one out.

#3931 MinT

MinT

• 2,051 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:27

I'm amazed it took them so long to get that one out.

Really dont get what motivation drives all this mock outrage we see in the media these days - yes it was a poor taste comment - said in the heat of the moment whilst ad-libbing thru several hours of live content. Hardly the end of the world though and I am pretty sure all those no-lives on Twitter demanding his resignation, have ALL said something at some point they regretted later.

#3932 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 760 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:30

And in the race DC immediately picked up on Webber being cautious because he was the first car going into damp conditions and explained the difficulty well to the viewers. Brundle however didn't seem to realise that at all and him and Crofty kept rabbiting on about the tyres going off.

Considering the rain was only a fall drops falling onto hot tarmac, tyre degradation seemed far more likely to me when I was watching as well.

#3933 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:30

Surprised the daily mail has even ran a story on this as their normal obsession is with the BBC!

Bad joke, but should be left at that. The offended brigade will obviously have a field day none the less.

#3934 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,739 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:31

Happy so far with the BBC but David Coulthard's constant digs at Schumacher are getting old, obviously he's bitter on account of him having his arse handed to him by Michael for so many years but he really needs to get over it and move on.

He did compliment Michael in equal measure however. He did admit twice that he was never as fast or as good during his career as Michael so I don't think we as viewers should be too sensitive.

#3935 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,453 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:32

Really dont get what motivation drives all this mock outrage we see in the media these days - yes it was a poor taste comment - said in the heat of the moment whilst ad-libbing thru several hours of live content. Hardly the end of the world though and I am pretty sure all those no-lives on Twitter demanding his resignation, have ALL said something at some point they regretted later.

I doubt the majority of those claiming to be outraged were even watching, and didn't actually hear the actual comment.

#3936 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,294 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:43

Liked the BBC "Life of an F1 driver in 2 minutes" intro.

Me too! Wondering whether I can find it. Has anybody have that clip?

#3937 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:46

While it's interesting to note the difference between rival broadcasters, it can't be '99 page' interesting. Jeeebus.

:up:

I wonder if there's a football forum out there on the Internet that has a similar thread to this, where Sky's and the Beeb's output is regularly scrutinised to such an absurd degree? I somehow doubt it...

#3938 heineken2008

heineken2008

• 119 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:49

Here in New Zealand, our "Sky" cheaped out and has the BBC feed (well, it does online, not sure about if you watch it on tv)

anyway, quick question about Ben Edwards . . does he get paid every time he say "Jean Eric Verne" . . ? He must have mentioned him J-EV at least 40 times last night

Would be interesting to see a stat on how many times he has said that name this year, as I have noticed it every race - reminds me of James Allen with Hamilton

Must admit, have missed Martin this year so far - him and DC had it pretty dialed by the end of last year, shame

#3939 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:56

It's funny you should say that, because Coulthard himself prefaced his opinion on Senna crash with almost exactly the same words: "arse handed" and he was clearly joking about it. He was right to blame Schumacher, too.

Having watched recently some replays (cough, cough...) and the races on Sky and BBC I must say that Coulthard-Edwards are much better than Sky pair. Edwards is good (is he the old Eurosport commentator?) but Coulthard was a huge positive surprise. I remember him rusty and forced with Brundle (only one race). With Edwards they work together very well and he's comfortable and pretty insightful.

Brundle knows his F1 but he gets stuck on some ideas and it looks like he can't work with any of his co-commentators. Legard, Coulthard and now the same. He should clone mini-Brundle and only talk to himself. The other guy is a bit irritating, too. Too jovial and trying to be cool. I can live with constant tyres brainwashing but do they need to empower twitter vox populi? "Here's an "interesting" question from Jonathon Cretin from Bradford: Why Button is moaning so much? Hahaha". Really? The only reason to quote the viewers should be to laugh at them, mock them and prove that they have no clue.  ;)

Advertisement

#3940 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,791 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:55

Edwards is good (is he the old Eurosport commentator?)

Yes he is.

#3941 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 760 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 13:32

Brundle knows his F1 but he gets stuck on some ideas and it looks like he can't work with any of his co-commentators. Legard, Coulthard and now the same. He should clone mini-Brundle and only talk to himself. The other guy is a bit irritating, too

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

#3942 SennaBoys

SennaBoys

• 60 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 13:36

Usually if the BBC are covering the race I watch it on there. However I decided to try Sky today and then go back to the BBC and watch it on iPlayer.

So the comment about Princess Grace was out of order. Ok that is understatement of the year. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets into really serious trouble about that. It could cost him his job at the end of the year as I don't think it will go down well amongst the Principality of Monaco.

However, other than that.

Johnny Herbert is perfect. He actually brings Damon to life. Martin looked like a spare part at times. It is now similar to the BBC but a bit fresher. They haven't totally gelled yet, but it is getting there and is a vast improvement since the last time I watched it on Sky. Compare it to Australia and it is like 2 totally different tv channels.

The BBC are really missing Ted. It ruined the BBC coverage for me. Although, I do like Gary, but something seems to be missing.

The Skypad is still completely pointless.

The BBC features are loads better than the Sky features.

Natalie is improving way quicker than I expected. Last year at the BBC I thought she was a pointless waste of time, but this year she has seriously improved, still not a patch on Lee though.

I have to say, and I am shocked that I am saying it so early into the season, but the Sky coverage is not that far off the BBC coverage. If they continue improving at this rate over the season, I think they will be better than the BBC when they are both showing live coverage.

I think that what is doing it is that the BBC seems a bit tired and lacklustre. I dunno, something didn't feel right, something was missing.

Am I alone in this view?

I think it was always going to be a case of SKY TV catching up with the budget and resources they have compared to what's left with the BBC. I am pleased with the BBC coverage so far except for the Forum not being available on freeview after the race, yesterday it appears men’s gymnastics were more important than Monaco......hummmmmmm :down: I’m trying to keep my chin up with the highlights but it is hard not watching live. :(

I have to say, I absolutely love having Gary on the team, the insight he has, stories and his ability to explain technical things is great. I love it when he gets his paper pad out and draws whilst explaining it, it feels like a 1 on 1 chat. His stories about driving the F1 cars about at Monaco in the past as a mechanic were great, him even racing Jody!

I think all in all, us BBC viewers have been very lucky to have the people we’ve got following the whole split. I’m looking forward to having Lee for two races, should make for fun viewing and Jake, EJ and DC are on great form! :clap:

#3943 smitten

smitten

• 1,447 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 13:54

scrutinised to such an absurd degree?

There is no scrutiny.

The facts are about amount of coverage. The opinions are about whether the commentary you pay for is "better" than the commentary you choose not to pay for. Psychologically, those who pay for Sky are more likely to prefer their coverage. Conversely, those who choose not to pay extra are pre-disposed to prefer the BBC coverage.

#3944 Smitla321

Smitla321

• 337 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 13:58

Surprised the daily mail has even ran a story on this as their normal obsession is with the BBC!

Bad joke, but should be left at that. The offended brigade will obviously have a field day none the less.

But you have to consider that the comments may have an effect on family members and people close to the family rather than just viewers etc.

If you were related to someone that died in a similar incident and someone poked fun of it on live TV, wouldnt you be offended?

#3945 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 14:14

But you have to consider that the comments may have an effect on family members and people close to the family rather than just viewers etc.

If you were related to someone that died in a similar incident and someone poked fun of it on live TV, wouldnt you be offended?

I don't think it was anything more than a bad joke. I take the point that some might not have liked it but I would very much doubt all those who were outraged by it were truly that.

#3946 hansmann

hansmann

• 261 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 14:42

Well, Grace K. was just some high society bimbo, not Mother Teresa .
If one's existence is defined by notoriety alone, this person is fair game, imho .

Still a poor joke, just because it wasn't funny .

#3947 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:11

The tone was a bit Frankie Boyle for a mainstream sports programme though. Not to mention that making light of violent death by car accident isn't exactly the sort of thing you want to hear from a motor racing broadcaster. Whoever the subject, Grace Kelly or Ayrton Senna. Perhaps Lazenby was responding to producers telling him he needs more rapport with the audience, an easier presenting style, more Character. With the pressure of live TV he probably overstepped the mark looking for it. Not a good sign though, imagine if Jake said something similar.

Edited by Risil, 28 May 2012 - 15:13.

#3948 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:14

Well, Grace K. was just some high society bimbo, not Mother Teresa .
If one's existence is defined by notoriety alone, this person is fair game, imho .

Still a poor joke, just because it wasn't funny .

She was the wife of a head of state, the very state that was hosting the GP. It's in poor taste any way you slice it

#3949 Jon83

Jon83

• 1,878 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:20

Actually, I think Simon's most bizarre moment of the season came when he described Herbert and Hill as "reprobates" in Spain I think it was. Hill's face was priceless for all of 2 seconds!

#3950 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 15:21

http://www.youtube.c...oDt3nSHs#t=211s