Photo

Model Astons

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:18

Hiya chaps. I'm new to this forum although I have been browsing for a while. I'd like to show some of my builds. I hope you all like them.

Graham.

DBR1

Posted Image

DB4 GT Zagato.

Posted Image

DP214

Posted Image

DB4 (work in progress)

Posted Image

DB4 GT (work in progress)

Posted Image

DB5 Convertible (work in progress)

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Tonecas

Tonecas

• 100 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 14:32

Hiya chaps. I'm new to this forum although I have been browsing for a while. I'd like to show some of my builds. I hope you all like them.
Graham.

Excelent work Graham :clap: tw things that would be nice to know the scale of the model and the kit manufacturer
Regards

#3 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 15:42

The scale is 1/32, apart from the DBR1 which is around 1/30 being a rework of the old Scaley model . The kits are made by me. I've posted a couple of pics of three more i'm working on too.

Graham.

1946 HRG Aerodynamic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1958 Lotus Type 14 Elite.

Posted Image

1964 Maserati Mistral.

Posted Image

#4 Kitkent

Kitkent

• 88 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 19:24

Very impressive! Just wondering what is coming next....Love the wire wheels especially,didn't know there were any 1/32 decent wires.

#5 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 20:23

Scale wire wheels are something that had been lacking in the slot car world for many years. I though i'd try and do something about it. The wheels shown on the HRG and Mistral are not my work in all honesty and are no longer available I believe. The others shown on the Zagato, DB4 and GT are.

Graham.

#6 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,802 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 23:32

:up:

#7 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:01

I've been asked by a collector to build three DBR1s up as the team entry for Le Mans 1958. Here are a few shots. The paint is Ford Forest green mixed with a fine metallic partical.

Graham.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:33

I won't hazard a comment as to whether you've got the right shade of green. Given the variation amongst the real ones, I reckon your colour choice is as accurate as any.

What I do like is the "scale" metallic finish. So many models have metallic paint that has metal flakes in it that are 12-, 18-, 43- or 32-times too big - and it shows! But these look right.

Edited by D-Type, 30 November 2012 - 22:48.

#9 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,544 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 22:19

They certainly do. Great work, Graham.

You put the rest of us - well most of us, especially me - to shame.

#10 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:22

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. The metallic partical of all off the shelf paints will always be much too coarse for the reasons D Type mentioned. When I order paint I always ask for the finest they have available. It does give a fairly good representation but can alter the colour somewhat. Below is another shot of the Moss No. 2 car with a little more detail added.

Graham.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 18:51

A few more Astons in the pipeline. Hopefully the end of the pipe is in sight!

Graham.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 18:42

Posted Image

Fabulous models.

Apart from the ventilation(?) openings under the doors there does not seem much different from the above and this Shelby DBR1, alledgedly Moss's 1959 DBR1 (DBR1/3 according to Chris Nixon's Sportscar Heaven)

Posted Image

but when I look at the photograph of that car in said book it looks nothing like the Shelby model. The front wheel arches are lower and the rear arches have spats down to the level of the wheel hubs. The aft end of the wrap-round windscreen looks diferent too.

Posted Image

Observations from Aston experts welcomed...

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 23:26

I am not an expert,
Malcolm, are you confusing 1958 and 1959?
Rear spats were used at Le Mans in 1959 but not in 1958.
In 1959 the "FIA suitcase" was introduced and the rear bodywork was raised to accommodate it. As a result instead of the canvas (or was it inflatable?) tonneau cover of 1958 the 1959 cars had clear plastic covers stretching from the top of the screen to the rear bodywork.

Graham, to nitpick, on the Moss car, no 2, in 1958 the upper part of the [driver's] left hand vertical bar in the radiator aperture was missing - see the photo on p. 251 of All my races. Did it perhaps fall off during the race? The exhaust pipes passed out through the openings below the doors. On the Moss car, holes nos 2 & 3 were siamesed so only hole 1 was unoccupied. The photo on P. 242 of the Edwards biography shows this clearly.

#14 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,292 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:17

I am not an expert,
Malcolm, are you confusing 1958 and 1959?
Rear spats were used at Le Mans in 1959 but not in 1958.
In 1959 the "FIA suitcase" was introduced and the rear bodywork was raised to accommodate it. As a result instead of the canvas (or was it inflatable?) tonneau cover of 1958 the 1959 cars had clear plastic covers stretching from the top of the screen to the rear bodywork...

Duncan, thank you.

It is well known that I am easily confused - but Shelby Collectibles, who produced the original model (in 2009, I think, to celebrate the eponymous Carroll's win in 1959)? It would appear so.

Here is a link to ModelZone's site http://www.modelzone...-no-4-1959.html and this car (albeit the Moss version). The Shelby car is indentical save for the number (his is #5). It would appear that they have modelled a 1958 car! If this is so, and it certainly looks that way, it is amazing that no one has in the past three years that the model has been around pointed out the error.

So - back to my own model. For the sake of even basic accuracy, never mind rivet-counting, perhaps the thing to do is change the number to #2 and put a red band round the intake - or just change it to #1 and have the Nurburgring '58 car.

Interestingly, Oxford Diecasts have also made the same mistake

Posted Image

with their 1:64 Moss Le Mans DBR1 but the 1:43rd scale modellers appear to be nearer the mark.

This is the Quartzo (or is it IXO? I am easily confused!) 1959 Shelby Aston:
Posted Image

Edited by Mal9444, 09 December 2012 - 13:01.

#15 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 14:25

You are quite correct in your observations D Type. Part of one of the vertical bars was indeed missing and possibly due to Astons build quality. One other "feature" I missed is the dent. I really should pay more attention.

Graham.

Posted Image

#16 rapide

rapide

• 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:36

A selection of shots of a number of Zagatos i'm building for a group of collectors in Germany.

Posted Image

Posted Image