Photo

Advice for first time going to British Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 13:49

Trying to do the race on a bit of a budget, but want to make sure it's a good experience. Would general admission tickets be alright or should I pay the extra £70 to get covered seating? Will I be able to guarantee myself a good view of the track if I get up early enough?

Advertisement

#2 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 14:09

Trying to do the race on a bit of a budget, but want to make sure it's a good experience. Would general admission tickets be alright or should I pay the extra £70 to get covered seating? Will I be able to guarantee myself a good view of the track if I get up early enough?

You'll have to get up extremely early - last year we were there before the gates opened and then had to run to get a decent spot at Luffield. We had fold up chairs so proceeded to sit there until the race start, it's a bit surreal sitting with a crowd of people in luminous baseball caps in front of a silent track for hours. The biggest thing at Silverstone is to always make sure you've got bog roll on your person- the toilets run out in the morning and the paper never gets replenished.

#3 mgs315

mgs315

• 613 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:46

Cheers for that advice. What's the rules on alcohol by the way? If I've nothing to look at for a few hours I'm gonna want a beer or two.

#4 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:27

Thanks. What time do gates open btw?

#5 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:55

Cheers for that advice. What's the rules on alcohol by the way? If I've nothing to look at for a few hours I'm gonna want a beer or two.

A crate a day is the rule  ;)

#6 Whoosh

Whoosh

• 12 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 14:18

Thanks. What time do gates open btw?

I queued up once for the gates opening at 05:00 to get a good spot at Copse corner in 1991. When they did open everyone ran to get the best spot.

TBH if you can afford the extra £70 you should go for a seat as it means you will be able to sit in any grandstand on the Friday and Saturday. Looking at what's left in that price range I would go for Stowe C. You can even sit in the new pits straight for qualifying on the Saturday if you get there early enough.

#7 Grizzlykev

Grizzlykev

• 12 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:13

My Wife and I are going to Silverstone this year.
Amazingly it will be our first Grand Prix. We are thinking of going to Club A but we cant quite decide if we are going for the full weekend or not.

Is it worth splashing out the extra cash for the full weekend / camping?

#8 Whoosh

Whoosh

• 12 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 20:21

My Wife and I are going to Silverstone this year.
Amazingly it will be our first Grand Prix. We are thinking of going to Club A but we cant quite decide if we are going for the full weekend or not.

Is it worth splashing out the extra cash for the full weekend / camping?

Camping for the weekend is the only way to do it. :cat: At the very least try and get there for the Saturday & Sunday.

#9 RobertoLarcos

RobertoLarcos

• 50 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:55

I would definitely go for all three days rather than just the Sunday.

There will be a bit more room to move around on Friday and Saturday (though Silverstone tends to draw bigger crowds on these days than other circuits). Sunday will be absolutely heaving and you may not find it as enjoyable as Friday/Saturday (despite it being race day). Your 3-day grandstand ticket also allows you to sit in any of the other grandstands on Friday and Saturday (subject to capacity).

Looking at the website the price for a 3-day ticket in Club A is only 45 pounds more than a Sunday-only ticket (285 v 240). I'd definitely go for all 3 days, even taking into account the extra costs for camping/beers etc.

I don't think one day is enough at a Grand Prix.

#10 Grizzlykev

Grizzlykev

• 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:48

I would definitely go for all three days rather than just the Sunday.

There will be a bit more room to move around on Friday and Saturday (though Silverstone tends to draw bigger crowds on these days than other circuits). Sunday will be absolutely heaving and you may not find it as enjoyable as Friday/Saturday (despite it being race day). Your 3-day grandstand ticket also allows you to sit in any of the other grandstands on Friday and Saturday (subject to capacity).

Looking at the website the price for a 3-day ticket in Club A is only 45 pounds more than a Sunday-only ticket (285 v 240). I'd definitely go for all 3 days, even taking into account the extra costs for camping/beers etc.

I don't think one day is enough at a Grand Prix.

I think we will end up doing the three days. I think we will probably have access to a camper van which should make it even more interesting. Another rather unfortunate factor is that it is one of our friends wedding on the Friday.

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 21:28

I think we will end up doing the three days. I think we will probably have access to a camper van which should make it even more interesting. Another rather unfortunate factor is that it is one of our friends wedding on the Friday.

It will save you buying them a present then. ;)

#12 Grizzlykev

Grizzlykev

• 12 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 16:43

It will save you buying them a present then.;)

You'd think wouldnt you?

#13 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:37

The biggest thing at Silverstone is to always make sure you've got bog roll on your person- the toilets run out in the morning and the paper never gets replenished.

Rule number 7 - light lunch and milkshake or other liquid for dinner the night before then no toilet requirement the next day.

#14 chdphd

chdphd

• 2,763 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:59

Or take some imodium :D