Photo

Huntley Hillclimb

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 kombiracer

kombiracer

• 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:31

I am a life member of Wollongong Sporting Car Club. September 2013 will be the 60th Anniversary of Huntley Hillclimb. I'd like to put together a booklet with stories and photos as well as a database of past results.

If you are able to help me out in this quest, please let me know through this forum or contact me through http://wscc.org.au/contact.php

Thanks
Chris

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:59

I'll let Bob Abberfield know...

He ran there several times. And Erol Richardson should be in touch as well.

#3 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 23:25

Chris,

Jack Wortmeyers daughter, Annette Bishop, has Jack's scrap books and many photos back to the early (dirt track) days. I am sure there are many others around "the Gong" that can help.
I can supply some results from around my time running there. erol dot richardson at bigpond dot com

One thing I am curious about is an unofficial run I did in the Wortmeyer/Mildren F5000. I do not remember the event but I do remember it was the first time 22.0 secs was broken. It would have been '73 I think. Would love to know the date and the time 21.???.

Erol

#4 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:07

Chris,

Jack Wortmeyers daughter, Annette Bishop, has Jack's scrap books and many photos back to the early (dirt track) days. I am sure there are many others around "the Gong" that can help.
I can supply some results from around my time running there. erol dot richardson at bigpond dot com

One thing I am curious about is an unofficial run I did in the Wortmeyer/Mildren F5000. I do not remember the event but I do remember it was the first time 22.0 secs was broken. It would have been '73 I think. Would love to know the date and the time 21.???.

Erol

Twenty ones sounds a bit quick, Erol!! I held the official record there for a while in around 1981/82 in my March and it was still only in the mid twenty twos then! I certainly don't doubt that you did it, however, as its a real power hill and Jack's F5000 must have been very much at home there. Some people think of it as flat out and uninteresting but I am sure you will agree that, in any car capable of those times, the undulating surface and the fast corners up at the top become VERY interesting.

#5 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:44

I ran at Huntley a couple of times, I never had anything powerful enough to get me into any trouble but I used to watch the quick blokes in awe!
In a Vee or a HQ it was flat out from the bottom to the top but those wiggles made it interesting.

I have heard a few stories about new housing estates at Huntley Coal Mine, how much longer can Huntley last?

#6 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 19:36

August 1959 the Huntley round of the NSW State Championship, what a day this was in Huntley's History for it was the First time that 30.00 seconds had been broken.

Jack Myers driving his Waggott powered Holden Special was the first & only to have a run in the 29 second bracket thus starting a new era of compitition at Huntley.

#7 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:58

There's a hillclimb on at Huntley this Sunday [19th], as a matter of interest. A great hill in a quick car. :up:

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:27

Originally posted by rms
.....One thing I am curious about is an unofficial run I did in the Wortmeyer/Mildren F5000. I do not remember the event but I do remember it was the first time 22.0 secs was broken. It would have been '73 I think. Would love to know the date and the time 21.???

As you know, Erol, I did a bit of research (as much as you can with only RCN at hand, anyway) on your time in the Franklen Chev...

I found a photo in the May issue of 1973, it was over a report headed Richardson's Sensation. But the whole report talks of "The Wortmeyer SCV, a fabulous 200bhp supercharged racing machine." No mention of the F5000.

The photos came from Ross Pentacost, the other pic used was of Pat Goulding's clubman. I have no idea whether the photos both came from that meeting and we will never know unless we find Ross Pentacost, I guess.

The description of your final run definitely indicates you were in the VW-powered car:

The SCV seared off the line, and his elapsed time to the top control tower indicated a track record to be within his grasp, but not thirty yards from the finish line the SCV just quite with a seized motor. Instant reflexes by Richardson enabled him to declutch, and roll over the line for a 24.38! A certain record dropped, but would this time hold off the determined Bingham?

It goes on to tell how they allowed Bingham, who had only turned up at 2:30pm anyway and pushed in the queue for his first two runs, to run early to avoid the sunset problem at the climb, and I gather Jack had lodged a protest about him running at all. He recorded a 24.67, so you won.

But why the pic of the F5000? Could it be you 'demonstrated' it that day? Or was it a pic from a non-title round held at the hill shortly beforehand? This particular event was held on March 18.

Edited by Ray Bell, 14 February 2012 - 07:29.

#9 kombiracer

kombiracer

• 18 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:50

It certainly does benefit to have a strong engine at Huntley but its not just a matter of flat WOT running. Those who hold no respect for the hill soon come unstuck. In my relatively short time at the club I have seen cars go off pretty much the entire length of the track... including my own.

The Huntley redevelopment seemed to go away for a while, but is back again. Its a bit of a worry. I'm not sure on the prospects of the club survival without a local event to bind us together. We've been shut down twice in recent years and it really takes its toll on the membership. It would be incredibly hard to get another up and running. The other problem is the track condition. Its starting to deteriorate below the fork all the way back to the start line. Its very tessellated and its only a matter before one piece comes loose, and the entire section will come away.

Not sure if you guys would keep up to date on current records. The outright record stands at 18.54 now. The imprezas/evos are doing 23's.

I guess the problem I have regarding the archives is getting access to peoples collections. I dont for a minute expect people to let it out of their sights and wouldnt dream of asking. What would be the solution? Do I organise a function and ask you guys to bring them along for scanning/copying? Do I come to you with computer/scanner in hand?

A while back I spent a lot of time entering some results from early 90's and the occasional earlier results onto the computer, but that computer smoked and is no more. I need to start over again.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:07

Save everything to CD... and burn a spare to keep elsewhere!

Bob Abberfield was Secretary of the club in the seventies, I think he said that Jack Wortmeyer was President. He's very happy to help out, e.mail me and I'll send you his e.mail address and phone number. He lives at Timbumburi now.

And for Erol... is it true that Jack stuck the F5000 engine into his Transit van? And used the fuel injection from it on the SCV?

#11 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:39

Ray,
No and No. He did put a Chev in the Transit though, he had intentions of fitting the 4 IDA Webers from the 5000 but then sold them to Rod Dale.
Here is the Bartz engine and injection as Mat Veal collected it.

http://i1245.photobu...rmser/bartz.jpg

I have not seen the pic you mention but it would be from an earlier club meeting, we never ran the 5000 at a NSW Championship round.

Paul, the under 22.0 run would have been late 1973 and at a club climb, therefore no outright record and no club record either as it was an extra run after the official runs.
I have asked Peter Gumley about this and he mentioned he thought that Bob Bell's wife did remember this.

It seems strange to say but the SCV VW, when compared to the 5000 at Huntley, was definately lacking in a straight line and not as stable through "the fork" or the "esses".

All this probably goes to prove the point that "the older I get the faster I was !!"
Certainly was a ride though.

Erol

#12 kombiracer

kombiracer

• 18 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:25

Erol, perhaps you can explain this picture. It was given to me by chevron publishing (its a Ross Pentecost photo). The inscription on the back of the photo says it was you driving in the 1973 nsw championship round. What confuses me is that there appear to be more than 4 pipes coming out of it. Is this the F5000 engine in the scv? I dont understand. That would make the "v" redundant
Posted Image

#13 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:47

There is still confusion about these 2 cars.
The Mildren/Wortmeyer SCV (Roman Numeral 5 (SC5)) Chev F5000

Posted Image

The Wortmeyer SCV (VW engined) hillclimb car (Peter Gumley's car)

Posted Image

Chris, so far as I can remember we never ran the F5000 at a State Championship round. I think that pic is from a club climb and it was after the Warwick Farm Tasman Round 1973, the LH front wing is sporting damage from that meeting and it was still on Weber carbs.

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 22:18

Originally posted by kombiracer
Erol, perhaps you can explain this picture. It was given to me by chevron publishing (its a Ross Pentecost photo). The inscription on the back of the photo says it was you driving in the 1973 NSW championship round. What confuses me is that there appear to be more than 4 pipes coming out of it. Is this the F5000 engine in the scv? I dont understand. That would make the "V" redundant
Posted Image

That's the pic from the May 1973 issue of RCN I mentioned above...

Thanks for posting that.

#15 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 22:59

That's a great shot of you, Erol. :up: The injured front wing just gives it a bit more 'character'.

#16 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 20:53

Paul Roberts just after leaving the start line heading for the first corner 1959

Posted Image

#17 kombiracer

kombiracer

• 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:23

You could stand THERE and watch? You wouldnt see anything from that spot today. A small forest is in the way.

#18 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 20:43

Bob Abberfield is wondering if the tree that got his Farrell is still there...

Did you make contact yet?

#19 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:24

Bob Abberfield is wondering if the tree that got his Farrell is still there...

Did you make contact yet?

With the tree? :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#20 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:03

Up to mid 1961 all spectators were on the high side of the Climb right up to the fork but the land owner was not happy as spectators grew & stopped WSCC from using his property.

From this point on all Spectators were channeled up the hill on the lower side of the road by a side track that was put in by WSCC.

At one time there was even a Spectators area on the land in the middle of the fork but as speeds increased this was closed, the control Tower is the original tower from Catalina Park at Katoomba.

#21 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 15:38

I was delighted to see the pic posted by daniel of the paul roberts XK120 roadster

I have the following details of jaguars running at Huntley
8-3-1958 Roberts XK120 35.8secs I also have him listed running at Douglas pk Hillclimb 8-3-1959 time 34.7secs and with similarity of day and month this could be the same event? if not where is douglas pk HC
5 june 1960 burns 120fhc 40.38secs substantially slower if same hill?
6 august 1961 roberts xk120 35.95 reported in scw 10-1961
I also believe roberts ran his XK140FHC at this venue.
I would love to get further details and pics of any jaguars around the Wollongong area.
Also to confuse the issue there was a Hillclimb event at Nowra.
terry

Edited by terry mcgrath, 19 February 2012 - 23:03.

#22 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:14

You've really got me wondering now, terry. That shot of Paul Roberts in the XK-120 doesn't look like Huntley to me.....maybe it IS Douglas Park?

#23 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:19

You've really got me wondering now, terry. That shot of Paul Roberts in the XK-120 doesn't look like Huntley to me.....maybe it IS Douglas Park?

I can assure you Greg it is Huntley, I took the photo in 1959, Douglas Park Hillclimb started at the River edge.

#24 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 13,011 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 21:28

Well, that would be right then, Daniel. What threw me was the Armco, and what looks like a railway track in the background.

#25 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 22:16

Douglas Park Hill Climb, I can remember being told by those that competed there that the main problem with the Hill Climb was the wet starting area, the pits were on either side of the road down near the crossing of the river.

Posted Image

#26 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 23:05

does anyone know where the Nowra Hillclimb event was held
terry

I was delighted to see the pic posted by daniel of the paul roberts XK120 roadster

I have the following details of jaguars running at Huntley
8-3-1958 Roberts XK120 35.8secs I also have him listed running at Douglas pk Hillclimb 8-3-1959 time 34.7secs and with similarity of day and month this could be the same event? if not where is douglas pk HC
5 june 1960 burns 120fhc 40.38secs substantially slower if same hill?
6 august 1961 roberts xk120 35.95 reported in scw 10-1961
I also believe roberts ran his XK140FHC at this venue.
I would love to get further details and pics of any jaguars around the Wollongong area.
Also to confuse the issue there was a Hillclimb event at Nowra.
terry

#27 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 23:08

it would be good if somone can do a google map as per Douglas pk Hillclimb venue for Huntly and maybe indicate with mark as to where the pic of XK120 is on Hill?
terry

Paul Roberts just after leaving the start line heading for the first corner 1959

Posted Image

#28 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 00:27

Huntley Hill

Posted Image

Nowra Hillclimb

Posted Image

Terry hope this helps.

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:04

There is, of course, in the Wollongong area a powder blue XK120 of some repute...

You'd know about that one, wouldn't you Terry?

#30 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:40

Tom Sulman, Aston Martin later owned by Ron Thorp

Posted Image

Bob Cutler, Austin Healey 4 running modified Chev Corvett pistons.

Posted Image

Ron Thorp, V8 Special which not only ran at Warick Farm but also Speedway

Posted Image

Ted Ansell, NSU Prince, this is the car that he ran at Bathurst Races

Posted Image

#31 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 16:02

dear ray,
thanks for note I presume you mean the 24hr XK120 FHC?
regards terry

There is, of course, in the Wollongong area a powder blue XK120 of some repute...

You'd know about that one, wouldn't you Terry?

#32 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 15:13

Am I imaging it but less people seem to be reading these posts these days?
terry

#33 kombiracer

kombiracer

• 18 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:50

There's an event on 20th May if anyone is interested in coming out.

#34 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 21:12

During the early to mid 1960's there were combined car & Motor Bike Hill Climbs at Huntley & at least one Hill Climb for Bikes only, this was run by the Wollongong Motor Cycle Club.

Are there any other Hill Climbs in Australia where Motor Bikes have run on a Compition day.

#35 plannerpower

plannerpower

• 332 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 21:59

King Edward Park; well, on a competition weekend;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Circa 1963 I think.

Note the "safety" fence that separates cars/riders from the ocean.

#36 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:29

I recall the score board at Silverdale had a list of record holders including bikes.

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:12

Originally posted by plannerpower
King Edward Park; well, on a competition weekend;

Posted Image

Circa 1963 I think.

Note the "safety" fence that separates cars/riders from the ocean.

Be fair, now...

There's plenty of rocks to tumble over before they get to the water!

#38 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:41

During the early to mid 1960's there were combined car & Motor Bike Hill Climbs at Huntley & at least one Hill Climb for Bikes only, this was run by the Wollongong Motor Cycle Club.

Are there any other Hill Climbs in Australia where Motor Bikes have run on a Compition day.

I was quite surprised but bikes run on occasion at Collingrove. Not on the same day as cars however.

#39 tsrwright

tsrwright

• 562 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 14:55

Douglas Park Hill Climb, I can remember being told by those that competed there that the main problem with the Hill Climb was the wet starting area, the pits were on either side of the road down near the crossing of the river.

What happened to it?

Advertisement

#40 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 20:45

What happened to it?

I believe that Douglas Park Hill Climb closed due to the new (then) NSW Speedway Act.

#41 baz

baz

• 55 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:38

Chris,

Erol

Would anybody happen to remember what type of supercharger Jack had fitted to the SCV

#42 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 13:41

If I remember it was a Marshall cabin blower almost as big as the engine.

Erol

#43 DanTra2858

DanTra2858

• 1,145 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:33

If I remember it was a Marshall cabin blower almost as big as the engine.

Erol

Erol if I remember Jack used different size blowers over the years on his SCV cars depending on motor configerations & new availabilities of parts, one thing that I do know for sure all blowers that he used were of the Roots Type.

How is your memory for 1964 at the Huntley Hill Climb in April, how many of the Compeditors are still with us.

Posted Image

#44 rms

rms

• 143 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:52

I certainly hope the majority are still with us. I am priviliged to have known, or do know most of those on that list.

I only know of 5 that have left us,Tom Sulman, Roy Gilbert, Stan Rumble, Arthur and Phylis Morris.
But there are probably others.

Erol

#45 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:20

Including the unfortunate Ray Heffernan...

Quite a nostalgic list, a spelling error on the Finlay name there while thoughts of Malcolm Smith playing with the Bobbin during his ownership come to mind as well.

Malcolm is lucky to still be with us, actually. He had a heart attack on a Manly Ferry about three months ago, finished his day with a stent and a promise of a couple more, now he's quite capable of talking the legs off a table again.

And I'm sure the Graham Howard RCN report on this event would have been full of praise for Colin Bond.

#46 baz

baz

• 55 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:23

Erol if I remember Jack used different size blowers over the years on his SCV cars depending on motor configerations & new availabilities of parts, one thing that I do know for sure all blowers that he used were of the Roots Type.

How is your memory for 1964 at the Huntley Hill Climb in April, how many of the Compeditors are still with us.

Posted Image

Trevis Jones #13 S.M. Special is definately still with us and talking about building a new car.

#47 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,958 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 22:22

Just looking at that list again...

With Herb Taylor in there, Gloria would have been there for sure. And she competed later. Unfortunately she suicided about twenty years ago, but Herb presses on alone.

#48 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:01

I'm on the list and definitely still here and still racing !

#49 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:50

Dick
is that what we called it on Sunday?

#50 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:12

I've had better days !