Photo

USA Formula B

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 00:35

I was just reading the formula Atlantic thread. What a great thread. How about a thread on USA formula b..... Much like formula Atlantic but with 1600 lotus and occasionally alfa twin cams. From the mid 60's until replaced by formula Atlantic, which chiefly involved changeing to the BD engines .

Advertisement

#2 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:04

Some us are interested in small-time North American racing, especially the formulae closest to European formulae, and especially single-seaters

http://www.oldracingcars.com/fb/ has details of FB racing from 1965-71

#3 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:22

Ron,

More than happy to become involved as I own Chuck Dietrich's BT40 from 1973 and then to
David Ralston for 1974 , the car having migrated to Australia a few years ago and now subject
to a correct rebuild to 1973 spec. with injected Hart 416B Twin cam.

Bryan Miller in Oz.

#4 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:16

Some us are interested in small-time North American racing, especially the formulae closest to European formulae, and especially single-seaters

http://www.oldracingcars.com/fb/ has details of FB racing from 1965-71

And I will expand that to cover 1972, 1973 and 1974 as quickly as I can - inspired by this thread :)

SCCA moved to Formula Atlantic rules (i.e. BDAs) for 1975, a year after the Canadian series had moved, but continued to call it Formula B until the end of 1978.

#5 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 19:03

And I will expand that to cover 1972, 1973 and 1974 as quickly as I can - inspired by this thread :)

SCCA moved to Formula Atlantic rules (i.e. BDAs) for 1975, a year after the Canadian series had moved, but continued to call it Formula B until the end of 1978.

Nick Craw from the FIA was a major participant in FB. :up:

#6 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 19:30

Allen, you already have 1972 up!
I'll get 73-74 Canadian ready next week

#7 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:36

So , all the usual suspects gather once more.

Bryan Miller.

#8 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 22:33

I meant I'll publish USA FB 1972 and 1973 Chris. I do indeed have Canada 1972 and 1973 already - just not in the right place on the site!

Canada 1972
Canada 1973

(Chris - for some strange reason I have more on Westwood 1973 than is in your file - I will explore my sources and send on to you whatever I found)

#9 Kale

Kale

• 47 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 17:36

Hello

Any Pictures or Informations about Brian Weightman, who raced with a Alexis FB Twin Cam in the 1971 canadian series ?

#10 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:24

David McKinney - Was it FB that Graham Baker ran in the US

#11 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:46

Yes it was - best placings a fourth and a sixth

#12 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:57

I was just reading the formula Atlantic thread. What a great thread. How about a thread on USA formula b..... Much like formula Atlantic but with 1600 lotus and occasionally alfa twin cams. From the mid 60's until replaced by formula Atlantic, which chiefly involved changeing to the BD engines .

This discussion could usefully be expanded to include the Australian ANF2 races which, from 1971 until 1977, were run to a 1600cc two valve per cylinder formula which relied on machinery essentially the same as the US Formula B and generated some pretty good racing particularly in the 1974 ANF2 Championship. From around 1972 most of the SE Asian 'GP' events were also run under similar rules and for quite an extended period the twin cam Lotus engine or the Brian Hart version of it was the dominant engine in 'small bore' racing events down our way.

#13 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,352 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 13:40

Our ANF1.5 1966 Elfin Monocoque ran in Formula B in 1968 as a 1500cc (Cosworth Mk XVI T/C) in a field containing other Formulas Bs including McLaren M4B, Crossle, Brabham BT 21-A & a 21 C at Lime Rock - the field had other entries covering Formula A through C. I presume most of the other Formula B cars would have run Lotus Twin Cam engines, and that the majority were around the 1600cc class limit??

James

Edited by SJ Lambert, 22 February 2012 - 13:54.

#14 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 13:53

If ANF2 is included, so should be the New Zealand 'National Formula' which ran 1500 twincams from 1965, increased to 1600 in 1970, then killed off by Formula Ford

#15 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 17:50

If ANF2 is included, so should be the New Zealand 'National Formula' which ran 1500 twincams from 1965, increased to 1600 in 1970, then killed off by Formula Ford

Great idea to expand the thread to cover all the "formula b" type cars from the post formula Jr era to the pre Atlantic cars. It's the cars that I love. I think the DB engine was a great improvement over the twin cam. In my experience the twin cam was pretty unreliable back in the day. I understand that the reliability issues have been pretty much resolved by today's vintage engine builders. I wonder, if the 1500 TC was more reliable than the 1600 version?

#16 jjordan

jjordan

• 49 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:14

I worked on several cars "in those days", I really remember the twin cams as being very reliable. Alot more so than the drivers!

#17 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 18:27

Great idea to expand the thread to cover all the "formula b" type cars from the post formula Jr era to the pre Atlantic cars. It's the cars that I love. I think the DB engine was a great improvement over the twin cam. In my experience the twin cam was pretty unreliable back in the day. I understand that the reliability issues have been pretty much resolved by today's vintage engine builders. I wonder, if the 1500 TC was more reliable than the 1600 version?

The Vegantune and BRM versions were the ones to have at first weren't they? Then HRE and Racesales produced quick ones and then Opert started selling the Hart versions. What year did the 'big valve' Hart first appear?

#18 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,352 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:18

Our ANF1.5 1966 Elfin Monocoque ran in Formula B in 1968 as a 1500cc (Cosworth Mk XVI T/C) in a field containing other Formulas Bs including McLaren M4B, Crossle, Brabham BT 21-A & a 21 C at Lime Rock - the field had other entries covering Formula A through C................

I think the meeting date was June 29, the race, event no. 8 the Albert E. Windish Memorial Trophy. The Formula B entrants were

#9 Phil Hotchkiss - Elfin Monocoque Type 100 Mk2C (Ford Lotus T/C Cosworth 1500) from Castile NY
#30 Martin Sellers - McLaren ( type unknown ) from Columbus Ohio
#33 Chuck Dietrich - McLaren M4 B from Sandusky Ohio
#61 Roger Barr. - Crossle from Glastonbury, Conn.
#94 Mike Hiss. - Brabham BT 21-A from Laurel, Maryland
#99 E. W. Hessert. Brabham BT 21-C from Philadelphia Pa

I'd love to see images from that meeting!

Edited by SJ Lambert, 23 February 2012 - 04:20.

#19 Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

• 440 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:40

My 'front line' experience with the twink went from 1972 to 1978 by which time our old ANF2 was dead and I acquired a BDA for use in Formula Pacific events. I started off with a BRM tuned engine but pretty soon upgraded to a Hart 416B which was resurected in the mid eighties when I first became involved in historic racing and has been in regular use ever since.

In my experience the BRM was quite reliable and I have also had little trouble with the Hart but there is no doubt that the radical valve timing and lift in the 416B did create a lot of problems. The weakness was in the valve springs but that has been solved in recent years with much better quality springs now readily available.

During my ANF2 days I was a low budget mostly mid field runner and was able to conserve the engine by limiting the RPM. Although the 416B pulled hard all the way to 8500 and beyond I normally changed up at 8000 and never came in with more than 8400/8500 on the clock. The front runners made the most of what was available running the engines much harder than that and periodically paying the price with dropped valves and related consequences. Even with my conservative approach the engines needed a lot of maintenance in the cylinder head area. We never ran it more than 400/500 miles between rebuilds and valve springs were then replaced as a matter of course. It was all worth the price, however, as no other twinks could look at a good 416B when it was on song!! The step forward from my BRM engine was like moving into another world!

These days I run the engine pretty much as hard as the front runners did in the old days but it still hangs together quite nicely because of the better quality valve springs. I still replace them whenever the engine is apart but it runs much longer between rebuilds - usually up to 800/1000 miles. I know many people get a lot longer life from the valve springs than I do but old habits die hard and its a lot cheaper to replace them than it would be to fix a broken engine. The performance is still there and despite 30 or 40 years of development my original 416B is still pretty much on the pace with the best modern engine builders can produce. Thank you Brian Hart - your engines may have given us periodic hartbreak and a few grey hairs at times but there has also been a lot of satisfaction there!!!

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:30

Originally posted by David McKinney

Formula Ford, you say?

Disgusting...

The ANF1½ which was home to the Twinks in the sixties ran from either '64 or '65, Paul will know which. The shortfall was that it was expanded to 1600cc at one point and that didn't exclude 4-valve engines until 1972, so the coming of the FVA put a couple of individual cars way out in front for a while. At that time, of course, it was ANF2.

This was perhaps the most populous formula we had for a long time. The Joseph Lucas-Lex Davison series at Calder fed it and nurtured a multitude of competitors from Victoria and SA, while it was always strong in NSW and had some adherents in Queensland.

There were some engines that weren't regular Twinks, too. There was an Alfa or two while Max Stewart played games with a redesigned head for a while.

One of the big things it brought about here was strong car-builder support. Elfin and then Birrana were the biggest and most successful, of course, while there was always plenty of Rennmaxes including the radical BN6.

#21 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:24

I think the meeting date was June 29, the race, event no. 8 the Albert E. Windish Memorial Trophy. The Formula B entrants were

#9 Phil Hotchkiss - Elfin Monocoque Type 100 Mk2C (Ford Lotus T/C Cosworth 1500) from Castile NY
#30 Martin Sellers - McLaren ( type unknown ) from Columbus Ohio
#33 Chuck Dietrich - McLaren M4 B from Sandusky Ohio
#61 Roger Barr. - Crossle from Glastonbury, Conn.
#94 Mike Hiss. - Brabham BT 21-A from Laurel, Maryland
#99 E. W. Hessert. Brabham BT 21-C from Philadelphia Pa

I'd love to see images from that meeting!

If that was Lime Rock on 29 Jun 1968 then I believe it was a Regional. Central Division had a National on the same weekend at Milwaukee so it's interesting that two of CenDiv's finest - Sellers and Dietrich - had headed east for a Regional instead of west for national points. Hiss and Barr were NEDiv regulars but Hessert is an interesting one. Dr Edmund C. Hessert Jr of Haddonfield, NJ was a surgeon at Pennsylvania Hospital on Philadelphia and a well known New Jersey driver. He'd bought a brand new BT21C-Vegantune for 1968 and had definitely taken delivery but I've never seen an entry or a result for it until now. Like Hiss, he was part of Ellwood F. Thum's Abrasive Alloy Co team from Riverside, NJ.

I guess you're aware that the Elfin - I'm presuming it's the same one - had scored points in NEDiv in 1967 in the hands of Charles Krueger. Krueger was a 55-year (!) member of Finger Lakes Region until he died a couple of years ago.

#22 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:30

I think the meeting date was June 29...

I've just had a thought! Who else was on the entry list for that race? Any FA cars? I'm wondering if it could have been the following weekend, in which case it was NNJ Region's July 4 weekend National.

#23 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:40

More than happy to become involved as I own Chuck Dietrich's BT40 from 1973 and then to David Ralston for 1974 , the car having migrated to Australia a few years ago and now subject to a correct rebuild to 1973 spec. with injected Hart 416B Twin cam.

:up: I'm delighted to see this thread doing well, I first misinterpreted it for only Club level FB. :blush:

Bryan, I'm very familiar with your BT40, in both Dietrich's and Ralston's hands. Chuck was an American enigma at the Club level, and still quite fast in his 50s and into his 60s.

It seems Ralston only ran the car a year or two IIRC, or perhaps not often enough for my memory. I believe he had pole with it at a Blackhawk National once, not sure... but recall him doing well with it. I knew a few other BT40 guys back then as well, Mike Hall from Chicago, Michael Rand from the Northeast, Ken Duclos as well. They were great cars and I hope you're having fun with yours. :up:

For those not around then, Formula B at the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta was absolutely stellar. "Amateur racing" yes, but wholly inaccurate in both appearance and deep, deep talent.

Just between 1975 and 1977 alone, fields included Bobby Rahal, Price Cobb, Kevin Cogan, Chip Mead, Dorsey Schroeder, Tom Pumpelly, Jeff Wood, Jim Crawley ('75 Runoffs Polesitter over Rahal, at 19, IIRC), Bobby Brown, Cliff Hansen, Jerry Hansen, Dan Marvin, Jon Norman, John Mortensen, Freddie Phillips, Tom Outcault, Joe Sposato... all who had or were about to run in Pro classes. And probably more not recalled at the moment, plus at least ten really good amateurs ran FB in those three years alone. These were FB's Glory Days in US Club Racing IMHO, and were wonderful times to be a kid at the race track.

I produced a 24-page newsprint rag about the '75 Runoffs, when I was 15, and may post that year's FB article here if I get a chance.

Thanks for the memories.

Allen, in 1992 I did some work for Tom Hessert, from I believe Cherry Hills, New Jersey. Any relation to Edmund?

Edited by E1pix, 23 February 2012 - 10:11.

#24 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,352 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 13:11

If that was Lime Rock on 29 Jun 1968 then I believe it was a Regional. Central Division had a National on the same weekend at Milwaukee so it's interesting that two of CenDiv's finest - Sellers and Dietrich - had headed east for a Regional instead of west for national points. Hiss and Barr were NEDiv regulars but Hessert is an interesting one. Dr Edmund C. Hessert Jr of Haddonfield, NJ was a surgeon at Pennsylvania Hospital on Philadelphia and a well known New Jersey driver. He'd bought a brand new BT21C-Vegantune for 1968 and had definitely taken delivery but I've never seen an entry or a result for it until now. Like Hiss, he was part of Ellwood F. Thum's Abrasive Alloy Co team from Riverside, NJ.

I guess you're aware that the Elfin - I'm presuming it's the same one - had scored points in NEDiv in 1967 in the hands of Charles Krueger. Krueger was a 55-year (!) member of Finger Lakes Region until he died a couple of years ago.

You've got me thinking now Allen, I met Chuck back in September/October 2001 - he's responsible for an Elfin badge being displayed in the rooms at Watkins Glen. Chuck bought the prototype Elfin 300 Sports Racing Car new from the Elfin Works - he ran that in the same meeting, race number 9, the Allegany County Cup in Class C -SR. He entered the 300 under his Racing Team name "Elfin America" - Phil was a good mate of his and it was Phil who travelled out to Australia and was on hand to see his new Type 100 Monocoque get completed in late 1966, Phil ran it at Mallala (I think), he definitely ran at Warwick Farm and Katoomba (over Nov & Christmas - New Year 66/67) before taking it back to New York. Phil later sold the Monocoque to Chuck, but Phil's listed as entrant and driver on the June 29, 1968 entrant list that I'm working off - perhaps he put Chuck behind the wheel on occasion in '67 ???

The Elfin 300 was not even shipped to the US til August '67 - (and it's not a Formula B open wheeler) - so in 67 it must have been the Mono that Chuck was driving to score points in Formula B as I'm fairly (very) sure that Phil's Monocoque was the only one of it's type to ever go to the USA, certainly the only one to go there in period.

There was only one Formula A car, #16, Steven Durst from Elkins Park, Pa in a Scimitar - and yep Mike Hiss's car was entered by E. F. Thum Jnr!!

#25 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,812 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:13

For those not around then, Formula B at the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta was absolutely stellar. "Amateur racing" yes, but wholly inaccurate in both appearance and deep, deep talent.

Just between 1975 and 1977 alone, fields included Bobby Rahal, Price Cobb, Kevin Cogan, Chip Mead, Dorsey Schroeder, Tom Pumpelly, Jeff Wood, Jim Crawley ('75 Runoffs Polesitter over Rahal, at 19, IIRC), Bobby Brown, Cliff Hansen, Jerry Hansen, Dan Marvin, Jon Norman, John Mortensen, Freddie Phillips, Tom Outcault, Joe Sposato... all who had or were about to run in Pro classes. And probably more not recalled at the moment, plus at least ten really good amateurs ran FB in those three years alone. These were FB's Glory Days in US Club Racing IMHO, and were wonderful times to be a kid at the race track.

Thanks for the memories.

And thank you!

#26 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:21

:up: I'm delighted to see this thread doing well, I first misinterpreted it for only Club level FB. :blush:

Bryan, I'm very familiar with your BT40, in both Dietrich's and Ralston's hands. Chuck was an American enigma at the Club level, and still quite fast in his 50s and into his 60s.

It seems Ralston only ran the car a year or two IIRC, or perhaps not often enough for my memory. I believe he had pole with it at a Blackhawk National once, not sure... but recall him doing well with it. I knew a few other BT40 guys back then as well, Mike Hall from Chicago, Michael Rand from the Northeast, Ken Duclos as well. They were great cars and I hope you're having fun with yours. :up:

I produced a 24-page newsprint rag about the '75 Runoffs, when I was 15, and may post that year's FB article here if I get a chance.

Thanks for the memories.

Allen, in 1992 I did some work for Tom Hessert, from I believe Cherry Hills, New Jersey. Any relation to Edmund?

Any pictures you can share with us Eric?

#27 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 21:58

David McKinney - Was it FB that Graham Baker ran in the US

& that car is most likely in Australia and should be out at Wakefield this weekend. However thread starter Ron's BT29 is here for sure.

#28 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:10

Here's a couple I'd already scanned for another project...

Going from memory, so please correct any errors... I was a 16 year-old with a photo credential and a deep yearning to run in these cars.

Jerry Hansen on Pole (Edit: left) in his Lola T460... Ken Duclos, Chevron B34... eventual race winner Bobby Brown, March 76B... Dorsey Schroeder, March 74B... Tom Pumpelly, March 76B... Jon Norman, Lotus 69B... Cliff Hansen, March 76B... Dan Marvin, Lola T360... John Mortensen, March 76B... and Steve Jizmagian, Lola T460.

Posted Image

Late-race position change, Cliff Hansen yields to namesake Jerry.

Posted Image

Edited by E1pix, 24 February 2012 - 05:31.

#29 Colin Haste

Colin Haste

• 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:07

Here's a couple I'd already scanned for another project...

Going from memory, so please correct any errors... I was a 16 year-old with a photo credential and a deep yearning to run in these cars.

Jerry Hansen on Pole (Edit: left) in his Lola T460... Ken Duclos, Chevron B34... eventual race winner Bobby Brown, March 76B... Dorsey Schroeder, March 74B... Tom Pumpelly, March 76B... Jon Norman, Lotus 69B... Cliff Hansen, March 76B... Dan Marvin, Lola T360... John Mortensen, March 76B... and Steve Jizmagian, Lola T460.

Posted Image

Late-race position change, Cliff Hansen yields to namesake Jerry.

Posted Image

#30 Colin Haste

Colin Haste

• 6 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:15

E1pix.
Great to see the pictures of Jerry Hansen in the Lola T460. I own that T460 and have rebuilt in the livery shown in the picture. I also own the Jerry Hansen T560 and have it presented in the livery of the second owner Bruce Clark (can't have two cars looking the same) I would be very interested in any pictures of either car and race resaults ,in fact any history of these cars .
Colin Haste

#31 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:33

:) Thank You, Colin, I've PMed you.

Yes, I have more yet to scan. 'Bruce Clark' does sound familiar, when and where did he run it? It seems like he was a CenDiv SCCA Club racer as well, or even Pro FA... not sure anymore. Thinking more, I have a vague recollection I may have done some sign work on that T560...

I have some Grid and Results sheets as well, to organize but know where they are, and sat in your T460 when brand-new — maybe in the T560 as well... but wasn't allowed to fire them up. :cry: That probably didn't stop me from making Cossie noises, though... :eek:

Thank You, Colin, I trust you're enjoying the heck out of those cars! :up:

#32 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:44

:) Thank You, Colin, I've PMed you.

Yes, I have more yet to scan. 'Bruce Clark' does sound familiar, when and where did he run it? It seems like he was a CenDiv SCCA Club racer as well, or even Pro FA... not sure anymore. Thinking more, I have a vague recollection I may have done some sign work on that T560...

I have some Grid and Results sheets as well, to organize but know where they are, and sat in your T460 when brand-new — maybe in the T560 as well... but wasn't allowed to fire them up. :cry: That probably didn't stop me from making Cossie noises, though... :eek:

Thank You, Colin, I trust you're enjoying the heck out of those cars! :up:

E1pix,

Do you have more of Dorsey Schroeder at the '76 run-offs? He'd just acquired that car from Ecurie Canada a month before and a good pic might give me some clues as to what it was (Ec. Canada having divested themselves of their ex Roos and Hill 75Bs a year before that)
Over here at FB/Atlantic archive central - otherwise known as oldracingcars.com - Allen and I really like the sound of those grid and result sheets.

Chris

#33 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 14:31

Colin, I have sent you a PM. Have many images of both cars when raced by Hansen, and of the 560 when raced by Clark.
Tom

#34 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:36

E1pix,

Do you have more of Dorsey Schroeder at the '76 run-offs? He'd just acquired that car from Ecurie Canada a month before and a good pic might give me some clues as to what it was (Ec. Canada having divested themselves of their ex Roos and Hill 75Bs a year before that)
Over here at FB/Atlantic archive central - otherwise known as oldracingcars.com - Allen and I really like the sound of those grid and result sheets.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, I'll take a look for the Dorsey photos (am I wrong in thinking that was his venerable 74B?).

Getting some historical pieces, AIS and other classes' photos, etc., etc. to you guys is on my list (I'm just finishing a 1,000-hour+ project now). Happy to help your great site and dedication to our sport's archives.

Now... if I could just figure out how to clone myself..... :yawnface:

#35 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:06

I don't know if people are interested in earlier Formula B/The Continental Series, but here goes:

The first corner/first lap result at the 1971 Edmonton Continental Series race: To quote from the Autoweek race report at the time: "The six car Fred Opert equipe was almost wiped out on the first lap [in Turn 1] when Nick Craw's Brabham, Fred Van Bueren's Chevron, & the Brabhams of Juno Yoneyama & Rudolpho Junco went off en masse." Woodner's Xcar was also taken out when Yoneyama's car ran into the back of him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Joe Huffaker overseeing his Xcar at the 1971 Continental race at Kent, WA:

Posted Image

Jon Woodner in the Huffaker Xcar:

Posted Image

Ex-IMSA GTP driver Carson Baird in a Palliser Winkelmann WDB2 at the Kent Continental race in 1969:

Posted Image

Skip Adrian, 1970 Lime Rock Continental:

Posted Image

#36 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:13

These are fantastic Locke! Where did you find them?

#37 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 16:24

The cars I can identify from Edmonton are:

74 = Freddy van Beuren, Chevron B18, looking a real mess in photo 2
76 = Jiro Yoneyama, Brabham BT29, in foreground of photo 3
80 = Rudolfo Junco, Brabham BT29, on crane in photo 3
7 = Jon Woodner, "X-car" former Winkelmann WDB2, in foreground of photo 4
71 = Nick Craw, Brabham BT35, in photo 4

#38 RonPohl

RonPohl

• 193 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 17:25

Fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

#39 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 20:02

These are fantastic Locke! Where did you find them?

Glad you like them!

Some are from Phil Reilly, some from the parties who raced the cars & some I don't have a clue about. I love FB cars--the fat tires, the minimal (or non-existent) wings & just the general scale of the car is perfect--the Xcar in particular really caught me back in '71. I even painted my WDF2 like the Xcar when I worked there. My racing partner, Mark Blaze (another ex-employee), & I own the Phil Reilly Huffaker Xcar (originally a Palliser-Winkelmann WDB2) & the Skip Adrian WDB2, so I guess you could say we are addicted to the class. Sorry for the self-promotion, but I run the Palliser-Winkelmann site (www.pallisercars.com), in case anybody is interested in finding out more about the cars.

If you like those photos, here are some more:

Phil Reilly with his Xcar at Kent, 1971:
Posted Image

Woodner with the Xcar at Huffaker Eng:
Posted Image

The next three shots are of the Skip Adrian car from my previous post, believe it or not. I have the photos posted in the Palliser-Winkelmann Registry, but I have to include it here:

Side radiators when Jimmy Santos owned it:
Posted Image

An aluminum Ferrari T312-like aluminum body by Jack Hagemann when Dick Sasser owned it:
Posted Image

Currently:
Posted Image

Huffaker Engineering's pit @ 1971 with the Xcar at the top:
Posted Image

How about Ivan Zaremba at Cotati (I think) with his Cooper T53:

Posted Image

Edited by layabout, 28 July 2012 - 13:57.

Advertisement

#40 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 00:19

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tom Tuttle's MGB at Seattle Historics a few weeks ago (Tom in background)...same car?

Vince H.

#41 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 00:41

Posted Image

:up: Splendid, Layabout! I was quite a fan of Jon Woodner as a kid, and saw him win F Production at the Runoffs my first year there in '72... in (presumably) this Midget but with different signage.

Keep 'em coming. :)

#42 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:55

OK, a few more:

There was an early reference to Jon Norman. Here's the beautiful Lotus 69 he ran, sold & then repurchased recently. He will run it at the Laguna Historics in a few weeks:
Posted Image

Jon Norman & his first race car:
Posted Image

Dan Marvin & Paul Hasselgren, 1975 at Sears:
Posted Image

James King:
Posted Image

EFR in the Tui:
Posted Image

#43 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:24

Awesome. You might like my post 28:
http://forums.autosp...w...161712&st=0

Marvin defined cool. :)

#44 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:25

Thank you so much for unearthing and posting these photographs.

Bryan Miller , Australia.

You may even have a Photo of Chuck Dietrich's BT40 Brabham somewhere.

#45 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 19:59

Thank you so much for unearthing and posting these photographs.

Bryan Miller , Australia.

You may even have a Photo of Chuck Dietrich's BT40 Brabham somewhere.

Sorry, I don't have any of Chuck Dietrich. I was actually hoping that the photos I posted might inspire some other people to start posting photos. I'll give it one more round:

FB & Atlantic stalwart, Syd Demovsky behind his Lola T240 in the paddock at Kent, 1971:
Posted Image

L-R: Joe H., Phil Reilly, Syd & Woodner:
Posted Image

Dan Marvin with the Lola T360 at Sears on a test day:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm unsure on this one, but I think it's Dr. John Korn in the Lola T332, John Milledge in his GRD, Normo in his Lotus & maybe one of the blue Marches might be Breidenbach, but I'm not at all sure. This would be the June Sprints at Laguna, probably in 1975 or 1976. They used to get 30,000-50,000 spectators out for those races. Now they're lucky to sell any tickets:
Posted Image

I have to put one of my racing partner in here, even if he's semi-clothed. From L-R: Mark Blaze, Tom Crowther, Dave Selway & behind Dave is Bob Schnieder---all Huffaker employees & you couldn't find a better group of people with whom to work. This is at Sears @1975 with Crowther's 72B that had very recently been updated to (I think) a 75B...maybe a 74B. Mark was the driver for the weekend:
Posted Image

Edited by layabout, 25 July 2012 - 20:32.

#46 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 20:26

Thank You again. Great memories. Yes, I think that's John Korn and that does look like a 75B update, not a 74B.

I have many to scan, been trying to get to those forever, cabinets-full of salable pics come first (nature and travel).

BT, I might have some Dietrich photos in his (your?) BT40. I suspect RA Historian here definitely does. I can picture Chuck's BT38, and his Lola T460, but am failing in recalling the BT40.

#47 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 22:40

E1pix,

The March update will be 1975 components .

Re Chuck Dietrich's BT40 , RA Historian has already supplied three , thanks Tom, always
looking for others , the car was fairly bright blue with yellow wings , although it did also run
the wide sports car nose at least once at Blackhawk Farms.

Bryan.

#48 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,451 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:05

What years, please?

I almost always remember most cars from then, am missing this one in my personal RAM. :rolleyes:

#49 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:06

Layabout:

Our paths must have crossed at some point. I started shooting race cars in '74 and went to three Atlantic races in '75. That's when I met Normo, Marvin and Hasselgren.

Great shots of those three as young boys!!.

There are a fair number of shots from '75 in my Atlantic set....there will be more eventually.

http://www.flickr.co...57623186773769/

Although it's not from '75, here's my favorite shot of Marvin that I've found so far.....

http://www.flickr.co...157623186773769

#50 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 228 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:14

E1 pix,

Dietrich in 1973 , then David Ralston in 1974.

Bryan.