Photo

Motor racing in China in 1921...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:45

Yes, motor racing in China pre-dates the Zhuhai track and street circuits by a good 73 years or so.....

On the 27th August 1921, a group of ex-pats held a fair at Kiagwan, near Shanghai, featuring Mr Barr and his flying circus, as well as motor car and motor cycle races. The motor cycle races were marred by an accident when a Mr Whiteman lost control of his Henderson motorcycle on a bend near the Golf Club house when a tyre burst. He hit a Mr Hu, who suffered fractures to the left arm and leg, but was otherwise OK, as was Mr Whiteman. The auto races were contested by four cars (a Templar, an Essex, a Ford and an Austin), all driven by ex-pats, over the 1 3/10 mile circuit. The events were reported in the English language North China Herald.

Anyone know of any other early Chinese events which have so far slipped under the radar....?

Edited by Darren Galpin, 21 February 2012 - 08:46.

Advertisement

#2 Tony Kaye

Tony Kaye

• 68 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 21:28

There is a four-page article devoted to the event at Kangwan (note spelling) race course in the October 1986 issue of The Automobile. Lots of details of the race plus several photos.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of any other pre-war races in China..............apart from the Peking-Paris and New York-Paris events.

#3 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 21:45

Just to note that pre war China was a pretty normal place with a heavy British influence in Shanghai before Mao Ze Asshole took over. Fortunately Mao didn't have the British architecture removed and there's many nice British buildings still to be seen around Shanghai.

I have the well known pictorial book "A Glimpse of Old China, 1868-1945" but there's hardly any vehicles at all in it.

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 22:48

Welcome back, Tony :wave:

#5 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,321 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:57

Welcome back, Tony :wave:

Indeed! I don't suppose anyone has a copy of that Automobile magazine article which they could scan and send me? Thanks.....