Photo

Chaparral

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 stankoprowski

stankoprowski

• 46 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:26

I'm a Chaparral fan and I missed this book when it was new and easier to get. Can anyone recommend this book. Or not.

Stan

Chaparral Texas Roadrunner [JP Oversized]
Friedman D & Miyoshi Y. (Author)

Product Details
JP Oversized: 159 pages
Publisher: News Publishing Co Japan (1997)
ISBN-10: 4938495538
ISBN-13: 978-4938495534
Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 10 x 1.4 inches
Shipping Weight: 3 pounds

Advertisement

#2 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:41

I'm a Chaparral fan and I missed this book when it was new and easier to get. Can anyone recommend this book. Or not.

Stan

Chaparral Texas Roadrunner [JP Oversized]
Friedman D & Miyoshi Y. (Author)

Absolutely (search also book thread) ..

Just googled:
http://www.libreriad...asp?IDBook=2371

Has this book still

Regards Michael

#3 red stick

red stick

• 13,996 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 16:57

Are you asking only about this book specifically, as in, you have others and need to know if this is worth adding to the collection, or about Chaparral books in general?

#4 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 17:39

This is what Jim Hall says in the foreword "... Dave Friedman's book chronicles this exciting time of my life when American stock-block-engined sports cars dominated world competition. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have". The book begins with JH's first race in 59 with with Lister, Maserati & Cooper, and ends with the full story of the 2J. It's all photos with big captions, no other text. A bit more reading would have been nice, but highly recommended all the same.

#5 buckaluck

buckaluck

• 149 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 17:44

Not a bad book but they could have used photoshop to help some of the pic towards the back of the book (back in the day pics that were to dark).
If you can't get it for the original cost then pass there are other Chaparral books that are better.
Just my thoughts.

Buck

#6 AJB

AJB

• 242 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 20:59

I can do no better that quote this customer review. "Very well done pictorial collection, but don't expect much more. The photo captions give a very shallow insight and historical account of this great race car. Much of the meager text is a rehash of information already out there pertaining to the Chaparral's. True Can Am and Sport car race fans will find this book disappointing and lacking from any kind of technical or informational point of view."

I have his McLaren book, which is pretty much the same. And bearing in mind the publisher and quoted co-author, are the captions perhaps in Japanese?

Now the one by Messrs Falconer and Nye.................

#7 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,802 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:46

Now the one by Messrs Falconer and Nye.................

:up:

#8 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:56

Not about a book... but a Jim Hall memory, if I may...

At Road America's first Can-Am in 1967, I was immediately in love with Can-Am and the high-winged Chaparral (and all ensuing high-winged cars). I was 7, and they were Monsters. Unbelievable. I'd seen USRRC, but this was different... And not 'cause I was small but because The Whole Show was enormous in ways far beyond physical size. A lifetime Love at first Sight. And Thankfully, like yesterday.

Life-forming really, as those who saw will understand...

At the exit of Turn 5 — during the race, no less — a photographer made the capital mistake of crossing a hot track. Never an acceptable nor good idea, and likely his last photo credential. He bounded across the course just as the Chaparral's imminent approach turned his 60-foot crossing to seemingly 600, once he saw Hall rushing into Turn 5 mere moments away. The shooter then fell down, and was damned-near run over by Hall's mighty Chaparral. :eek: Hall lifted. Always wondered about both's impressions of that moment...

I went on to my 2nd grade classes the next day, conquering "ABCs" and the like, but thought only of this... the incident competing with Big V8's still ringing... and again now +44.5 years.

Edited by E1pix, 25 February 2012 - 09:27.

#9 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:47

But, back on the original topic, the Friedman book doesn't go into great depth, but still well worth having in my opinion, as long as you can get it for a sensible price, the photo reproduction in my copy is quite good, more than acceptable in fact. The photo reproduction in my copy of Chaparral by Karl Ludvigsen on the other hand is pretty average in places, though what little text accompanies them is slightly more insightful than Friedman's, again worth having if you can find a copy.

#10 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 13:27

I can do no better that quote this customer review. "Very well done pictorial collection, but don't expect much more. The photo captions give a very shallow insight and historical account of this great race car. Much of the meager text is a rehash of information already out there pertaining to the Chaparral's. True Can Am and Sport car race fans will find this book disappointing and lacking from any kind of technical or informational point of view."

I had the book last year in my hands for the first time and thought exactly the same. The guy trying to sell it asked for something around 210 bucks! If you can get it cheap...go for it. Otherwise you'll think you wasted your money. And this comes from a Chaparral fan.

Edited to say:
Since the topic is the english/japanese book: that's what I'm refering to. I have that other Friedman book and I'm fine with that.

Edited by Duc-Man, 27 February 2012 - 09:42.

#11 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 15:49

(Note-the following sentence is a quote from a review, not a statement by kayemod)
The book begins with JH's first race in 59 with with Lister, Maserati & Cooper, and ends with the full story of the 2J.

But Jim Hall was already racing a few years before 1959, and did they completely overlook the 2K?

Does not bode well for accuracy.

#12 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 17:44

But Jim Hall was already racing a few years before 1959, and did they completely overlook the 2K?

Does not bode well for accuracy.

The full title of the Friedman book is Chaparral Can-Am & Prototype Race Cars, hence no mention of the 2K. Also, the opening paragraph does mention Jim's early days with an Austin Healey, Ferrari Monza, Jaguar XJK120, Corvette and a Lotus 11, but no pics of any of these.

#13 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 18:29

So we need a book on Jim Hall's racing cars then ?

#14 VWV

VWV

• 316 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:04

I have all the Chaparral booked mentioned in this thread. Just to clarify, there are two different Dave Friedman Chapparal books.

1) Chaparral, The Texas Road Runner
http://www.amazon.co...d...9698&sr=8-4

This book is has Japanese/English text. This book I think is more for the modeler, detailer, or for design study. It has beautiful current pictures of the cars as they are at the Petroleum Museum with some in period Dave Friedman pics of the cars in action. I managed to get the book last year off ebay for $66 dollars!!!

2) Chaparral, Can-Am Prototype Race Cars
http://www.amazon.co...o...1049&sr=1-4

This is the classic Dave Friedman book with his in-period pictures of the car in action. This is primarily a picture book with detailed captions.

Other Chaparral books mentioned.

Karl Ludvigsen, Chaparral: Can-Am Racing Cars from Texas
http://www.amazon.co...o...1049&sr=1-4

This is also a picture/detailed caption book with pictures from the Ludvigsen library.

Richard Falconer & Doug Nye, Chaparral
http://www.amazon.co...a...1049&sr=1-2

This book has the most indepth information on Jim Hall and Chaparral as it is an actual history book on Chaparral and not just a picture book. This book covers Chaparral from the begining to the 2J. There is no info on the 2K or the Trans Am cars ,F5000 or Jim Hall's activities after Can-Am.

So we need a book on Jim Hall's racing cars then ?

In my opinion, yes & no. In terms of pictures of the cars I would say no as they are pretty well covered in the books above and books on Can-Am. I would like to see a complete, definitive book on Jim Hall and Chaparral that documents everything in one place. I feel the complete story is still untold as Jim Hall is so private.

#15 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 2,258 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:12

Just as an aside, Vic Elford's book, "Reflections on a Golden Era of Motorsport" has some nice comments regarding his time driving the 2J for Jim Hall. A very enjoyable book in all respects too in my opinion...

#16 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 18:25

Willem Oosthoeck wrote a lengthy article in Vintage Racecar a couple years ago detailing Jim Hall's early years. Very complete article.
Tom

#17 nordschleife

nordschleife

• 940 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:13

At the exit of Turn 5 — during the race, no less — a photographer made the capital mistake of crossing a hot track. Never an acceptable nor good idea, and likely his last photo credential. He bounded across the course just as the Chaparral's imminent approach turned his 60-foot crossing to seemingly 600, once he saw Hall rushing into Turn 5 mere moments away. The shooter then fell down, and was damned-near run over by Hall's mighty Chaparral. :eek: Hall lifted. Always wondered about both's impressions of that moment...

I recall a sequence of shots in C&D (if not, SCG) preserving those final moments of that photographer's first eight lives. One's first reactions of disdain or amusement (he appeared incompatible with the task of a 10 yard sprint even without duress) ought to be restrained by our gratitude for providing the small visual record that came our way in those days. I believe that not many years after that he and I shared small talk in a grandstand at Mosport. I didn't bring up the incident with him. But I'll bet he and Jim Hall have discussed it. :kiss:

#18 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,415 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:58

:up: You're kidding me, amazing! :wave:

#19 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 114 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:10

There is no info on the 2K or the Trans Am cars ,F5000 or Jim Hall's activities after Can-Am.

Talking of the F5000 car, there isn't a great deal of information on that one. I believe it started life as an Indy car but when that project foundered it was converted to F5000. I understand it raced a couple of times, without much success, but I doubt it had much in the way off support from the factory as Jim Hall was concentrating on other projects by then. I saw a photograph of it a few years ago and it certainly followed Chaparral thinking in that it didn't look like any of its competitors. The last I heard was that it had been sold and then written off in a start line accident. Does anyone know anything more? Did Chaparral ever seriously contemplate F1?

Advertisement

#20 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 14:37

As I recall, the F-5000 Chaparral, the Chaparral 3, if you like, was not a serious effort by Jim Hall at all. Franz Weis more or less did it on his own in his spare time. He raced it twice, perhaps, and it was wrecked at one event. Ran at Donnybrook; do not recall if or when it ran elsewhere. Had some common elements with the Antares Indy car design, if memory serves. I got the impression at the time and over the years that it was a side show which Hall does not consider to be mainstream Chaparral. If he did, I imagine his museum would reflect it.

#21 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:24

I seem to recall that the F5000 Chaparral was involved in a start line incident at Brainerd Minnesota in August 1971, when he had a coming together with Clive Baker's Sutees TS8. Both cars were damaged and put out of the race. I don't think the Chaparral ever appearing again although I could be mistaken.

#22 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:53

don't know if this is where I should post this question ? but the heading is chaparral. didn't want to start a new thread. can anyone steer me to where an column appeared, in I believe car & driver magazine by charles fox in which he describes of being at the scene of jim hall's crash at stardust raceway in 1968. he describes turning the car over with other spectators and pulling hall free. I've gone through my car & drivers from late 68 to early 70 and couldn't locate it. perhaps I missed it, or am looking in the wrong spot. maybe it's a pipe dream ? any help would be welcome.

mike in canada

#23 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 20:04

in reference to my old post above from nov. 2012. after digging through boxes of magazines, I finally found the article in question. it was in car & driver magazine, november 1984

copy, which has a pontiac fiero on the cover. it is titled "from candlestick to stardust with jim hall, a writer and a race car driver on converging courses" by charles fox.

group7

#24 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,465 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 14:00

in reference to my old post above from nov. 2012. after digging through boxes of magazines, I finally found the article in question. it was in car & driver magazine, november 1984

copy, which has a pontiac fiero on the cover. it is titled "from candlestick to stardust with jim hall, a writer and a race car driver on converging courses" by charles fox.

group7

Fox was a really good writer.  Is he still alive?

#25 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 14:42

I agree that fox was an excellent scribe, I don't know if his work was ever compiled into book, if not it should be. as far as his health and well being, in that article from 1984, he says he has developed a neurological disorder. when I last had contact with pete lyons in relation to the piece in car & driver, pete said that fox was not well, and last he heard he was living in I think, northern california.

mike scott in canada

#26 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 248 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:48

group7

Does the word "Candlestick" in the title refer to the old Candlestick Ballpark in San Francisco? There were a couple weekends of SCCA sports car races in the parking lot and Jim Hall was in one of them.

#27 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,392 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:19

Fox was a really good writer.  Is he still alive?

It seems: No.

Charles Fox Memorial Page

March-23-2012 - Charles Fox, born Dec. 1, 1942, died yesterday at about 4:30pm - very peacefully at his home in Bolinas. ...

He was a successful writer. One subject he specialized in was racing and race cars. Had written for Playboy and True.

#28 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 13:00

Does the word "Candlestick" in the title refer to the old Candlestick Ballpark in San Francisco? There were a couple weekends of SCCA sports car races in the parking lot and Jim Hall was in one of them.

Yes

#29 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:21

BTW Chaters has a 'cheap' one

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1412417992

Michael

#30 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,571 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 10:35

BTW Chaters has a 'cheap' one

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1412417992

Michael

There's a bit in the description I think you might have missed, "printed in Japanese"...

#31 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:28

There's a bit in the description I think you might have missed, "printed in Japanese"...

and with English text!! Brown Sauce additional!!

Michael :wave:

#32 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,394 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:58

Yeah that's kind of cheap. 75 Pounds equal around 95 €uro or something like 5000 U$.

#33 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 13:22

Yeah that's kind of cheap. 75 Pounds equal around 95 €uro or something like 5000 U$.

...or 1011.00 ARS (Argentinian Pesos), 21,300.00 Dchibuti Francs, 1486.00 Rupies of Seycheles..

Michael

#34 group7

group7

• 548 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 23:47

ReWind, thank you for posting the link to the charles fox memorial page.

group7