Photo

Ecclestone threatens to dump Australlia unless the race run at night

• Please log in to reply
234 replies to this topic

#1 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:49

he says that until 2015 they are fine because of the contract but after that we will see and that means basically night race or no race. he says also that there are a lot of circuits to replace australlia

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/97734

"We have a contract which we will respect - so up until 2015 we are in good shape. After then, we really don't know.

"If we were to have a divorce from our friends in Melbourne we would probably be walking away from Australia. Because I can't see how Adelaide could make it happen, or anywhere else, if Melbourne can't. The race itself, from our point of view, is probably the least viable of all the races we have."
"We have other races ready to take the place of Australia - which we don't want to happen," he said. "But it would be wrong of me to have to report to our board, 'Terribly sorry about this but we have to walk away from wherever to retain Australia'."

Advertisement

#2 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:56

I'm not sure why the city would be so against an evening/night race.

Having more people around the world who are able to watch the race would only be better advertising for the city wouldn't it?

Surely it would offset any short term costs from installing lighting around the track.

#3 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,170 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:58

Doesn't he whine about this every year?

#4 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,754 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:58

Having more people around the world who are able to watch the race would only be better advertising for the city wouldn't it?

Surely it would offset any short term costs from installing lighting around the track.

Because it might not be the best thing for those that actually attend the race.

#5 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:02

this man, he crazy...

#6 johnmhinds

johnmhinds

• 7,292 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:05

They would still get a sell out crowd every year so why would the city care about that.

The local officials only want to see the maximum returns for the investment...

#7 phoenix101

phoenix101

• 295 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:12

Only 100 more years of control by private equity companies.

#8 freya

freya

• 1,585 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:12

It costs more.

Plus they know bernie talks ****. Same story every year infact.

#9 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:14

Even if a nun was running F1, I'd still prefer an Australian night race.

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:37

If Bernie dumps the Australian GP will the Aussie mobile marshalls still be prepared to run the Sepang, Chinese, Abu Dhabi and Singapore GP's?

#11 goingthedistance

goingthedistance
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,471 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:37

I really wish it was a night race! Such a pain to have the season opener on at the crack of dawn. I wish they'd schedule a different race for the opener if the under lights thing isn't going to happen.

#12 BennyJohnson

BennyJohnson

• 656 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:45

this man, he crazy...

I'm still a fan of Bernie. He shaped modern F1.

As an Australian, this sucks royal, as a fan of Formula 1, it makes perfect sense.

#13 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:47

I really wish it was a night race! Such a pain to have the season opener on at the crack of dawn. I wish they'd schedule a different race for the opener if the under lights thing isn't going to happen.

Could you please tell Bernie to reschedule the 15 races of the year that involve me having to stay up late or get up at 3am? It's such a pain.

Having the Melbourne race at night would be crap to attend. It would cost a stupid amount of money and Bernie wouldn't cut his sanctioning fee to compensate. I already find it bad attending a twilight race such as we currently have. It just makes it awkward to do things around town and anyone who wants to head home interstate after the race on Sunday can't because the last flights out leave before you can get away from the track which means you have to stay an extra night.

Bernie doesn't give a crap about the true fans that go out of their way to attend races. Probably because they're actually reducing Bernie's revenue by only giving money to the circuit promoter who has already forked out the cash. He'd much rather if we all stayed home and watched empty grandstands on TV because that way he can maximise his TV revenue.

#14 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:47

just do it

#15 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:52

this man, he crazy...

....like a Fox. Go check out Joe Saward's take on this.

#16 baddog

baddog

• 29,768 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 23:57

I would go to a night race in melbourne

#17 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:08

Wouldn't mind a night race in Aus.. But seriously, **** off bernie you little imp, go back to Brazil where they know how to treat you how you deserve :)

#18 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:29

How money does the Australian GP generate?

#19 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:32

I have an idea which would suit me, if not everyone else, and it's very simple. Every race starts at either 1 or 2pm local time. No twilight races, no night races, just simple timing throughout the calendar. I love nothing more than Australia being the first race and starting at 2/3am UK time as it used to. So what if a 1 or 2pm local time start would mean Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Abu Dhabi etc being on a good few hours earlier than normal? Get it back to how it used to be.

Advertisement

#20 ctjet

ctjet

• 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:33

heeeeere we go

two weeks before the race every year!

like clockwork

#21 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:38

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And I really wish every other race was held at a time that meant I wasn't up til late at night watching it, too. Bernie should reschedule ALL of the races so that they're on MY timeframe. Waaaah.

Yeah, that probably insulted a few people. But I'm sick of European/British fans whining about race times. They don't appreciate how good they've got it.

#22 FNG

FNG

• 5,774 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 00:40

I thought this was a global sport? Why does everything have to be geared toward UK time? It's one of the few damn races that are not on at 4am my time.

#23 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 624 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:11

I thought this was a global sport? Why does everything have to be geared toward UK time? It's one of the few damn races that are not on at 4am my time.

Particularly ironic when Bernie has dismissed Europe time and time again.

#24 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:26

A night race wouldn't make it any more interesting, IMO.
I don't care about being up late/early.

#25 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:28

Particularly ironic when Bernie has dismissed Europe time and time again.

2am from Saturday to Sunday would he what at China and the US?

#26 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:30

Because that's where most of the audience is?

#27 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 8,508 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:35

I think the Australian GP organisers should say to Bernie "Sure, we'll riun it at night - but you buy the lights".

FWIW since the race time has been put back I miss the early morning sessions they used to have.

I think the later time slot works for grandstand seat holders, but not so much for general admission,.

#28 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:39

If there is one thing I hate, its night racing with artificial lights. Bernie better first make sure he even gets to 2015.

#29 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:44

Bernie better first make sure he even gets to 2015.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

#30 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:46

With respect, I dont think you know Melbourne.

The track is situated smack bang in a residential area. It's not a tourist strip by any means. And Melbourne's whole marketing thingo is built on the daytime shots of the city, not the nightime skyline.... which frankly isnt that spectacular - certainly not like Sydney's.

#31 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:47

And that too.

I would go to a night race in melbourne

Great, I wouldnt. And i've been evey year for the last decade with my wife. So that's a cumulative -1 for the crowd figure just there.

Because that's where most of the audience is?

Well you're not going to grow that audience are you if the determining factor is solely the european convenience, and stuff the rest of the world's preferences.

Edited by NotSoSilentBob, 01 March 2012 - 01:54.

#32 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,656 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:02

The track is set in the middle of a park, so minimal lighting. It's not just the track they then have to illuminate, it's the whole park so that spectators can see where they are going. Singapore is ok in this regard because the track is on city streets which have adequate lighting for people to see where they are going, so only the lighting for the track needed to be upgraded. Also as the park is pretty much situated in a residential area, you will probably also have noise restriction issues. Hell, even concerts at the nearby outdoor Myer Music Bowl have had noise restrictions - like a 9pm curfew iirc - placed on them let alone an F1 race...

Personally I don't like the chances of it going on past 2015 - unless Bernie reduces the fee to offset the cost of the lighting or stumps up the cash for it. Even then I would say the odds are 50-50 at best...

Edited by krapmeister, 01 March 2012 - 03:04.

#33 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:17

You know its March when Bernie threatens the Australian GP.

Another outlandish statement to whip up interest just before the season.
Will never happen, the race is protested (admitedly by a bunch of ignorant clowns) already, but at night in that area the noise problem would be unimaginable.

Nothing to see here folks.

Edited by Brother Fox, 01 March 2012 - 03:18.

#34 BennyJohnson

BennyJohnson

• 656 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:20

You know its March when Bernie threatens the Australian GP.

Another outlandish statement to whip up interest just before the season.
Will never happen, the race is protested (admitedly by a bunch of ignorant clowns) already, but at night in that area the noise problem would be unimaginable.

Nothing to see here folks.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost it. Seems perfectly reasonable as it's so far out of the way.

#35 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:22

Out of the way in what respect?

Australia as a whole, or in relation to Melbourne?

#36 faaaz

faaaz

• 1,870 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:25

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And I really wish every other race was held at a time that meant I wasn't up til late at night watching it, too. Bernie should reschedule ALL of the races so that they're on MY timeframe. Waaaah.

Yeah, that probably insulted a few people. But I'm sick of European/British fans whining about race times. They don't appreciate how good they've got it.

Get over it. Stop whinging and accept the fact that Aus GP over the last few years has been leaking money, and night races might be ONE way to get some of it back. European fans make F1, not Australian fans.

#37 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:30

Hopefully by the time negotiations need to take place, Bernie is long gone and we have someone more sane in his place.

#38 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:35

Get over it. Stop whinging and accept the fact that Aus GP over the last few years has been leaking money, and night races might be ONE way to get some of it back. European fans make F1, not Australian fans.

In what way would going to a night race help Melbourne get money back? By all reports, the corporate side of things has crashed since they went with twilight racing for the aforementioned reason that people can't fly home after the race and be back at work first thing Monday.

Moving it to a night race may help Bernie make more money but it will only mean Melbourne loses even more.

#39 BennyJohnson

BennyJohnson

• 656 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:50

Out of the way in what respect?

Australia as a whole, or in relation to Melbourne?

Australia as a whole really. It's a lot easier to go to somewhere like Singapore. It's pretty much used for all international travel. I mean, I don't fully know or understand the logistics of getting cars here, but surely it's harder than the European races.

Advertisement

#40 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:50

Hopefully by the time negotiations need to take place, Bernie is long gone and we have someone more sane in his place.

What makes you think the replacement will save you from the cut?

#41 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:58

Australia as a whole really. It's a lot easier to go to somewhere like Singapore. It's pretty much used for all international travel. I mean, I don't fully know or understand the logistics of getting cars here, but surely it's harder than the European races.

I would have thought the logistics of all the fly away races would be equally hard. I think the insignificant Australian market would be the main problem with keeping it, and not enough peopel domestically care about it to fight for it.

#42 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:02

What makes you think the replacement will save you from the cut?

Its not a certainty but a hope I guess. Perhaps someone that would look at the commercials a little differently, especially if they aren't directly lining their own pockets.

That said Im not against a night race.

#43 NeilR

NeilR

• 623 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:06

How money does the Australian GP generate?

It reportedly loses around 40-50million per year.
Bernie expects everyone to bend over and take it like a Mosley. He can go away as far as I'm concerned. A night race would rob the race of the promotional advantage and this is the only thing that keeps it here.

#44 wepmob2000

wepmob2000

• 709 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:10

My gosh - how I loathe Bernie Ecclestone, his vomit-inducing private equity investor friends, and all the other people whose soul aim in life is to gather ever more money - repulsive people in every sense.

Someone really needs to let Bernie know he can't actually take all his money with him. He moves F1 to all these crappy unpopular venues to make more dosh, then wants one of the few popular flyaway races to follow their lead to make viewing times more convenient for European audiences.

Yep i have to get up at stupid o'clock in the morning to watch the Aussie race and thats half the fun, it won't be the same at 2pm and why the hell should the Aussies have to attend a race at night because of a trifling inconvenience for Europeans?

The clue is in the question Mr Ecclestone, if you want races at times that suit Europe, bring back the much lamented European races and ditch all this Middle Eastern / Indian / Korean / Singapore / Chinese rubbish, none of the locals give two hoots about F1 anyway, and the races you're giving them aren't going to change that. Its like trying to export Cricket to the USA...... pointless, particularly when you have such amazing racing as seen at Abu Dhabi, Korea, Singapore, etc. The writings on the wall anyway, I would guarantee that by 2020 none of these new host countries will be holding Grand Prix anymore, the current F1 business model is unsustainable for more than a few more years. Eventually Bernie you'll have to drop your prices and return to Europe as the list of NIC's eager to have you burn their fingers is dwindling quickly - everyone knows the real list of 'eager to hold a GP countries' is very much smaller than the imaginary one you try and bully current GP venues with..... While you're at it you can drop the rate card for Australia too and make this superb race a profitable one again.......

Edited by wepmob2000, 01 March 2012 - 04:22.

#45 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:03

The majority of races are on at the crack of dawn in the USA - which is probably among the top reasons why why F1 isn't so popular here. Australia is one of the few races we get to watch without sleep in our eyes.

Edited by bourbon, 01 March 2012 - 05:07.

#46 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:08

the middle east ones should be ok timezone wise ?

but i dont really have a issue with either loloclock races or a night race if it was good for the locals too

#47 travbrad

travbrad

• 1,058 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:09

And they wonder why the only place F1 is really popular is in Europe (with a couple exceptions of course).

#48 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:37

Even if a nun was running F1, I'd still prefer an Australian night race.

Exactly how often would the other side of the world have to get out of their little self indulgent cocoon to watch a race? :down:

It may be what we are forced to be used to - this middle of the night stuff, but it is great for us to be able to watch something in the same civilized time-frame the rest of the world enjoys, occasionally.

$od-off Bernie. Hopefully the British tax people will show undue interest and sink your little gamesmanship.

#49 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:39

[quote name='wepmob2000' date='Mar 1 2012, 04:10' post='5557217']
My gosh - how I loathe Bernie Ecclestone, his vomit-inducing private equity investor friends, and all the other people whose soul aim in life is to gather ever more money - repulsive people in every sense.

:up: :up: :up:

#50 Otaku

Otaku

• 1,715 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:55

Bernie probably won't even be alive by 2015...