Photo

Phillip Island Classic 2012

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Frizell

Chris Frizell

• 37 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 22:27

Hi all, apart from the Ascari Ferrari, has anyone heard what other Overseas cars will be fronting up for the Classic this year? There is a mention on the VHRR Web site about some cars from the Porsche Museum again, but no mention of Klaus Bischoff in the competitor list...just wondering what anyone had heard...a little tid-bit to whet our appetite to what would have to be one of the best Classic Meetings on the planet...

Cheers, Chris

Advertisement

#2 brucemoxon

brucemoxon

• 1,013 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 22:51

Hi all, apart from the Ascari Ferrari, has anyone heard what other Overseas cars will be fronting up for the Classic this year? There is a mention on the VHRR Web site about some cars from the Porsche Museum again, but no mention of Klaus Bischoff in the competitor list...just wondering what anyone had heard...a little tid-bit to whet our appetite to what would have to be one of the best Classic Meetings on the planet...

Cheers, Chris

There's a list of all competitors on the VHRR website, but it's in car-number order, so a bit all-over-the-place in terms of what cars might be coming.

There's a McLaren M8E running. 8 litres of Reynolds Aluminum (sic) block goodness. 30-+ F5000s. Guido Belgiorno-Nettis and one of his Ferraris

Bruce Moxon

#3 lotcor

lotcor

• 45 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 23:09

Not sure what cars there will be, but they are also celebrating 60 years
of Lotus Engineering.

#4 Chris Frizell

Chris Frizell

• 37 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 00:13

There's a list of all competitors on the VHRR website, but it's in car-number order, so a bit all-over-the-place in terms of what cars might be coming.

There's a McLaren M8E running. 8 litres of Reynolds Aluminum (sic) block goodness. 30-+ F5000s. Guido Belgiorno-Nettis and one of his Ferraris

Bruce Moxon

Thanks Bruce...the McLaren would be worth the trip alone...I have been harassing my mate to go for the last 7 or so years that I have been going, and he finally relented with stories abounding of Gurney Eagle's, GT-40's, Porsche Museum cars and all the assorted wonders of this meeting, but doing a search of the entry list PDF doesn't bring any of these to light this time round, but I guess the great thing about the Classic is the stuff that just rocks up and surprises you...

#5 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 00:18

The VHRR website promises many cars in tents,but they only list actual competitors.With any luck some of the demonstration/display cars listed for Albert Park the following weekend might be in tents at P.I....eg birdcage Maserati ! Apart from the Ascari Ferrari,two other UK cars are listed for Regularity at P.I. ,the Ginetta G10 and a Cooper Bristol.These 3 are also at Albert Park.From the U.S. an early Corvette is listed in S(a),and an Elva BMWmk7s.
F5000s dominate overseas race entries this year.

#6 BMH Comic

BMH Comic

• 173 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:12

The VHRR ---- Apart from the Ascari Ferrari,two other UK cars are listed for Regularity at P.I. ----.

Speaking of the Ferrari, does by chance anyone on the eastern seaboard have a photograph of the damage to the car at Caversham in 1957?? The only one I seem to be able to find (Thanks Ken for your efforts) is rather blury and I am confident that a photo exists of the hole punched in the RHS amidships.

We would appreciate any help and assistance from the historians !!

#7 Peter Leversedge

Peter Leversedge

• 616 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:01

Made the trip from New Zealand in 2010 [ Was on a F5000 crew ] It was well worth it and hope to get back again

#8 timbo

timbo

• 535 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:53

Thanks Bruce...the McLaren would be worth the trip alone...I have been harassing my mate to go for the last 7 or so years that I have been going, and he finally relented with stories abounding of Gurney Eagle's, GT-40's, Porsche Museum cars and all the assorted wonders of this meeting, but doing a search of the entry list PDF doesn't bring any of these to light this time round, but I guess the great thing about the Classic is the stuff that just rocks up and surprises you...

Gurney-Eagles, GT40's and Porsche museum cars were last year , and they were great, bl--dy great, in fact.
Not as many overseas cars this year spread across the grids, but 33 F5000 cars, with a lot from NZ, and some from the USA is enough of a reason to visit the island.
Group M and O, (1960's sports and racing cars) have been rested from this years event (or have they been dropped, or is it the rotation system Ritchie?), and they have been a good source of overseas entries in previous years.
What turns up in the carpark is just as interesting as what is out on the track at Historic Phillip Island.

#9 pallas1970

pallas1970

• 271 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:52

Gurney-Eagles, GT40's and Porsche museum cars were last year , and they were great, bl--dy great, in fact.
Not as many overseas cars this year spread across the grids, but 33 F5000 cars, with a lot from NZ, and some from the USA is enough of a reason to visit the island.
Group M and O, (1960's sports and racing cars) have been rested from this years event (or have they been dropped, or is it the rotation system Ritchie?), and they have been a good source of overseas entries in previous years.
What turns up in the carpark is just as interesting as what is out on the track at Historic Phillip Island.

We are just resting in M and O i am told, so will be in group 2 regularity, still worth doing though to be out there on that lovely track! james