Photo

Gianni Rogliatti

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 00:05

I understand that Gianni Rogliatti, the doyen of Italian Ferrari writers and one of that country's best motoring journalists and historians, died last night in Turin. He was born in 1929, and was to me a very courteous, gentlemanly and helpful fellow enthusiast. If I recall correctly he spent much of the 1950s in Argentina, before becoming one of Italy's absolutely top two or three motoring journalists and historians. He was also a considerable authority upon Leica cameras. He told me very quietly one day how much he was enjoying spending time with Old Man Ferrari in Modena - having been summoned by Il Drake, apparently to become his de facto confessor, asking the right questions and then listening loyally as Mr Motor Racing imparted the version of the truth that he wanted posterity to hear...

Ciao Gianni - thanks for so much past encouragement, and so much help...

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 03 March 2012 - 00:13.

Advertisement

#2 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:42

I understand that Gianni Rogliatti, the doyen of Italian Ferrari writers and one of that country's best motoring journalists and historians, died last night in Turin. He was born in 1929, and was to me a very courteous, gentlemanly and helpful fellow enthusiast. If I recall correctly he spent much of the 1950s in Argentina, before becoming one of Italy's absolutely top two or three motoring journalists and historians. He was also a considerable authority upon Leica cameras. He told me very quietly one day how much he was enjoying spending time with Old Man Ferrari in Modena - having been summoned by Il Drake, apparently to become his de facto confessor, asking the right questions and then listening loyally as Mr Motor Racing imparted the version of the truth that he wanted posterity to hear...

DCN

Sounds like he was a great gentleman. RIP

#3 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:45

DCN

Doug
This is tragic. Gianni was a wonderful guy, very friendly and willing to share information and not afraid to ask for help when he needed it. As Doug says he probably knew more about Enzo Ferrari than any other journalist or person and he will be a great loss to the Ferrari world. Early last month Gianni sent me a pile of his Ferrari Story magazines to add to my collection and he was always very generous with his time and information.

#4 pilota

pilota

• 249 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:48

Doug
This is tragic. Gianni was a wonderful guy, very friendly and willing to share information and not afraid to ask for help when he needed it. As Doug says he probably knew more about Enzo Ferrari than any other journalist or person and he will be a great loss to the Ferrari world. Early last month Gianni sent me a pile of his Ferrari Story magazines to add to my collection and he was always very generous with his time and information.

It's good to hear that even up to last month he was still active, although he had been ill for some time. Let's not forget that he was the father of the motoring journal Motor Italia, as well as Ferrari Story. Ciao Gianni.
Nathan