Photo

Atalanta Sports Tourer re-launched 5th March 2012

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:04

The RAC Club in Pall Mall today hosts the re-launch of the Atalanta Sports Tourer, 75 years to the day, apparently, after it was originally launched:

http://www.royalauto...atalanta-launch

I have to confess that it's a spot of motoring history that has passed me by - I had to resort to Wikipedia to find out a little more....

http://en.wikipedia....937_automobile)

Rob :wave:

Advertisement

#2 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:11

Interesting anyone live near enogh to the factory in staffs for a few photos of the set up ?

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,941 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:39

I've lost count of all these 'revivals' which then disappear without trace. A massive recession is just the right moment to launch a project of this sort....

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:41

Bit of muddled thinking in the RAC piece as Atalanta was in Staines, but the confusion probably related to the production of the Frazer Nash (known as the Gough) engine, most which was made by Bean Industries, at Tipton.
The engine was a heavy one only really successful when highly supercharged (28 p.s.i.) - which it wasn't when Atalanta used it (5-10 p.s.i. only) and which is why they used the V12 Lincoln Zephyr engine which was more powerful and probably no heavier.

#5 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 20:06

A quick web search produced this.
http://www.supercars.../cars/2821.html
ISTR that the cars used longitudinally horizontal springs in tension at the rear for their IRS.
Roger Lund
edit. No doubt, between us we wikll have some shots of the car at the '97 FoS. ISTR one of the magazines did a piece a while ago on the marque.

Edited by bradbury west, 05 March 2012 - 20:10.

#6 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:11

ISTR that the cars used longitudinally horizontal springs in tension at the rear for their IRS.

Yes it used horizontal coil springs running longitudinally, but not in tension. The system is shown in this chassis drawing, which appeared in the "cutaway artists" thread here, but you have to look carefully to see that both front and rear springs are in compression:
Link

#7 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:43

Allan, many thanks. It reminds me of the 2CV, although I thought they are in tension, located front and rear lengthways parallel with the cills, although as a non-engineer I stand to be re-advised. ISTR that the Gregoires also ran something similar to the Atalantas in layout at the rear, although the front was in tension, but crosswise.
Roger Lund