Photo

Jaguars Racing in Scotland

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 00:22

As part of our research on Jaguars we are trying to identify all the SS100's XK120's etc that were in scotland or being raced, hillclimbed or rallied there.
There were a reasonable number of XK120's sold new in scotland and some race grids contained up to 7 XK120's and there was still the odd SS100 competing in the early 1950's.
We have obviously consulted with Scottish race history guru Graham Gauld who has been very helpfull.
I am in the process of going through all the Autosport magazines for race results and the adverts for Scottish cars being advertised for sale ie the Ian Stewart car.
Obviously the early days of racing XK's in Scotland resulted in the EE team and their wonderful jaguar race history.
I am very keen to obtain copies of any Scottish race programmes ie Winfield, Bo'Ness, Charterhall, Crimond, Turnberry, Rest and be thankfull etc etc pre 1960.
I am also chasing copies of any photos showing jags racing in Scotland.
One specific pic we are chasing is a pic that appeared in Autosport by photographer George Phillips at Winfield 1951 does anyone know if his pics have survived?
terry

Edited by terry mcgrath, 07 March 2012 - 09:58.

Advertisement

#2 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:56

OK found the answer to the "George Phillips" photos they are with the Collier Collection in Florida
http://www.revsinsti...php?f=phillipsn index of meetings etc is at http://www.revsinsti...psPhotoList.pdf
Typical of my luck the index starts in November 1951 and the race meeting I am interested in is Winfield 13 october 1951!
terry

Edited by terry mcgrath, 07 March 2012 - 09:59.

#3 WillHenderson

WillHenderson

• 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:35

There is a film in my father's collection, dated October 1951 Winfield. What's the registration of the XK? By coincidence following a discussion last week with another enthusiast we have plans to create a page purely for XKs in competition in Scotland. My father was the Scottish contributer to Autosport for over 50 years.

William
www.thebillhendersoncollection.co.uk

#4 Jagjon

Jagjon

• 147 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 19:49

As part of our research on Jaguars we are trying to identify all the SS100's XK120's etc that were in scotland or being raced, hillclimbed or rallied there.
There were a reasonable number of XK120's sold new in scotland and some race grids contained up to 7 XK120's and there was still the odd SS100 competing in the early 1950's.
We have obviously consulted with Scottish race history guru Graham Gauld who has been very helpfull.
I am in the process of going through all the Autosport magazines for race results and the adverts for Scottish cars being advertised for sale ie the Ian Stewart car.
Obviously the early days of racing XK's in Scotland resulted in the EE team and their wonderful jaguar race history.
I am very keen to obtain copies of any Scottish race programmes ie Winfield, Bo'Ness, Charterhall, Crimond, Turnberry, Rest and be thankfull etc etc pre 1960.
I am also chasing copies of any photos showing jags racing in Scotland.
One specific pic we are chasing is a pic that appeared in Autosport by photographer George Phillips at Winfield 1951 does anyone know if his pics have survived?
terry

Are you looking for Jaguars in period or into the 1960's/70's etc? eg Bob Kerr hill climbing his 120FHC reg JAG120. & Jamie Gibbon in his 120 rdst.
I had a special with multi tube chassis fitted with a Mk V11 engine & box built by Edinburgh garage owner Jack Fisher, I believe it ran at Rest & Be Thankful driven by Norman Barclay whose fame was at another time the first to have water skied to NIreland from Scotland & accompanied Keith Schellenberg on the London to Sydney marathon in the 8 litre Bentley.

#5 terry mcgrath

terry mcgrath

• 650 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:16

thanks for the details Bob Kerr I know well and always drop in for a coffee when driving past and when you live in Australia that is not regularly!
It is mainly the period up to about 1965 we are interested in
terry

Are you looking for Jaguars in period or into the 1960's/70's etc? eg Bob Kerr hill climbing his 120FHC reg JAG120. & Jamie Gibbon in his 120 rdst.
I had a special with multi tube chassis fitted with a Mk V11 engine & box built by Edinburgh garage owner Jack Fisher, I believe it ran at Rest & Be Thankful driven by Norman Barclay whose fame was at another time the first to have water skied to NIreland from Scotland & accompanied Keith Schellenberg on the London to Sydney marathon in the 8 litre Bentley.

Edited by terry mcgrath, 10 March 2012 - 01:16.