Photo

The 'Black Books'

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 13:26

This is my first post since registering so please forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have recently started collecting the Sheldon/Rabagliati volumes known colloquially as the "Black Books", concentrating on the era that most interest me.There have been some real bargains on e-bay recently, but one that caught my eye was a volume specifically for 1966, covering F1,F2,F3 and Tasman races.

I was confused by this, since no such book is shown on the homepages of the F1 Register website. Was this a one-off, in a limited run? If so, why is it not mentioned on their site information? I didn't buy, but was tempted, since such a limited-issue could be a bit of an investment. ( How many times have we used that one to silence the wife/partner/heirs ?)

Advertisement

#2 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 13:30

It was a one-off because the Sheldons thought there might be a market for yearbooks covering all the formulae on which they had data. I think there were 100 hardbacks and 400 paperbacks. It didn't create as much demand as the GP & Voiturette books so the idea was shelved afterwards. Shame, because by now they'd've been up to date...

#3 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 13:42

It was a one-off because the Sheldons thought there might be a market for yearbooks covering all the formulae on which they had data. I think there were 100 hardbacks and 400 paperbacks. It didn't create as much demand as the GP & Voiturette books so the idea was shelved afterwards. Shame, because by now they'd've been up to date...

Many thanks - a nice short thread! I hadn't realised that they did such things as paperbacks.
As a student of English, I am most impressed by your "handy hints" at the foot of your post. Any mistakes I make in grammar or syntax will be simply because of haste or enthusiasm.Have you by any chance visited another motoring-themed site, initials P and H, and seen the results of modern education? Nuff said.

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,742 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 20:24

Before we lose track...the Black Books case history :)

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 20:49

Andy,
If you're still looking for black books, Chaters had tree on their shelves at Goodwood. I'm afraid I can't remember which - at £100 each they're beyond my price range!

#6 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 21:34

Andy,
If you're still looking for black books, Chaters had tree on their shelves at Goodwood. I'm afraid I can't remember which - at £100 each they're beyond my price range!

And mine! (Would that be the Irish "tree", as in "tree and a turd"?

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:05

Just showing due regard for your place of residence :p - Or to be honest it's my two-tumb typing :lol: .

I only looked at the price of one of the three, the others might be less. (And pigs might fly!)

#8 nicanary

nicanary

• 691 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:30

I paid £40 post-free on E-bay for 1954/59 and the same price for 1960/64 which was numbered and signed. Can't believe you'll get them much cheaper than that.
My particular era of interest is 1945 to 1968-ish. (Pre sponsorship big-time). So I have most of what I need; I actually find them a reasonable read, and not just a source of information.

#9 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 13:43

If they didn't sell them at Goodwood, Chaters might accept an offer - you never know. (And the aforementioned pig is now doing aerodynamics!)