Photo

Is Sutil's career over?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 13:25

Ted Kravitz said how Adrian Sutil's conviction seems to have finished his F1 career.

Seems harsh to me

Advertisement

#2 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 13:28

It effectively is, because lots of countries will refuse convicted persons entry or visas.

#3 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 13:34

Of course its over. No team wants to touch him with a ten feet pole now. And when the worst is blown over in a year or two, then F1 will have moved on to younger drivers.

#4 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 13:36

Completely. Just as he was entering his prime too. Great shame.

#5 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:13

Of course its over. No team wants to touch him with a ten feet pole now. And when the worst is blown over in a year or two, then F1 will have moved on to younger drivers.

:up:

F1 moves so quickly in its own little bubble, you step outside it for a minute and unless your someone unique (Kimi, JPM, Shuey) its a case of "Adrian.....oh.....umm.....Sutil! Whatever happened to him?"

#6 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,546 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:23

He's had five seasons in F1 - that's far more than most drivers ever get. He simply didn't make it, the conviction was just the last straw.

#7 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:25

Its over - sure! Will not miss him so far......

#8 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,740 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:28

Who is Sutil?

#9 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:29

Glad to see him gone. He was always the biggest idiot/thug on track. Then sure enough, he goes and attacks an owner of an F1 team with a broken glass bottle? I hope he gets help and I always thought he was one of the very most overrated drivers on grid. In case haven't noticed, I'm really not sad to see him gone. Thought he was poor driver and asshole.

#10 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:39

Rated him quite highly over the 2011 season but he deserved to be out, not gonna miss him.

#11 sniper80

sniper80

• 1,948 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:36

Yes it's over, and rightly so. Nothing but an average driver at best :wave:

#12 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,165 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 18:20

Too much kicking whilst a man is down. Sutil was a star of 2010 and came good after a mediocre start to 2011.

It looks as though it is over, but Bertrand Gachot raced for Larrousse and Pacific after his 1991 prison sentence.

#13 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 18:29

Too much kicking whilst a man is down. Sutil was a star of 2010 and came good after a mediocre start to 2011.

It looks as though it is over, but Bertrand Gachot raced for Larrousse and Pacific after his 1991 prison sentence.

But the calendar was more Euro-centric back then, making it easier for Bertrand (being a man of Europe of course, running under the EU flag many times) to move around. Nowadays there'd be a lot of hassle just trying to get Sutil to every race.

#14 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 18:34

IIRC there is still an appeal to come. Sutil wanted Hamilton to testify at the first trial, but he either didn't want to go or wasn't allowed to. Right after that trial Sutil said that Lewis was a coward for not coming.

#15 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 19:13

Who is Sutil?

Adrian Sutil. He drove for Force India. When you start following F1 you'll start getting these things ;)

#16 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 673 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 19:14

Yes.

#17 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 19:16

His F1 career is probably over, his motorsports career isn't thought. Plus in the future he may well get a last minute call up or a test role sometime like Nick Heidfeld.
Like many have said, he had a decent shot in F1, many seasons and he was solid but he didn't shine so conviction or not his time in F1 was probably coming to a close.
Sad to see him go as I liked him but that's F1.

#18 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 19:34

Yes it's over, and rightly so. Nothing but an average driver at best :wave:

I think Sutil has a pretty good record on track - he didn't appear to be special in the way that the top tier guys are but if you compare him to his team mates he wasn't a bad man to have in your car.

#19 Bosseking

Bosseking

• 163 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 19:38

He's most likely better driver than half of the grid right now, such a shame. Every team is searching for the new Hamilton or Vettel so lots of rookies with one season or less under they belts in 2012. His downfall is that despite being good he never showed he was a world beater. And that's why someone would rather take Vergne or Ricciardo, they MIGHT be. Sutil is known quantity, there's no risk but with no risk there's no reward.

Advertisement

#20 Wiggy

Wiggy

• 450 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 19:52

His driving career is shot, but perhaps he could team up with Verstappen for some boxing, get sky to put it as a filler show on SSF1HD

#21 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 20:15

IIRC there is still an appeal to come. Sutil wanted Hamilton to testify at the first trial, but he either didn't want to go or wasn't allowed to. Right after that trial Sutil said that Lewis was a coward for not coming.

IIRC.. I believe it was a scheduling problem, the authorities wouldn't say when Sutil's trial would be until the last minute, Lewis (as with all drivers) was busy and couldn't make it to the trial but did send a written testimony - next best thing I guess.

After Sutil came out and bitched at Lewis even if he could appear at an appeal I don't see any reason why he should.
To be honest unless he had something new to say I doubt if they'd call him as a witness anyway, all the original trial papers/transcripts can be examined.

Whilst I think sutil was pretty competent he never really stood out and pretty much got matched by a rookie (Di Resta), despite the latter being given some crap strategies.

#22 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 20:46

Whilst I think sutil was pretty competent he never really stood out and pretty much got matched by a rookie (Di Resta), despite the latter being given some crap strategies.

:rotfl: :rotfl: 42 to 27 points is not matched! So much BS here ,the guy finished 9th in WDC and he is probably better than 2 guys that finished ahead of him.

#23 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 20:47

His driving career is shot, but perhaps he could team up with Verstappen for some boxing, get sky to put it as a filler show on SSF1HD

:cool: :) :rotfl: :clap:

#24 Les

Les

• 2,116 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 20:52

Indeed, also Gachot raced all over the world after his conviction. I don't know the ins and outs of how it will affect Sutil going abroad but there's still an outside chance for him.

#25 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 21:30

Adrian Sutil. He drove for Force India. When you start following F1 you'll start getting these things ;)

Oh him.. I think I remember. Wasnt he the guy that Kimi used to enjoy crashing into a lot?

:p

Oh - and he ran really girlish too:

Edited by Desdirodeabike, 10 March 2012 - 21:32.

#26 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 21:39

Lesson to be learned is that glassing a team owner in an industry with only 12 teams is a really bad thing to do. Sutil's only chance is if Lewis Hamilton creates his own team.

#27 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 21:45

Lesson to be learned is that glassing a team owner in an industry with only 12 teams is a really bad thing to do. Sutil's only chance is if Lewis Hamilton creates his own team.

The latter would depend on his friendship with Hamilton not having been completely shattered by the events surrounding the trial - because whether Hamilton is at fault (for not helping, from Sutil's perspective) or Sutil is at fault (for smearing Hamilton's name in the press, if LH doesn't feel he has done anything wrong), it may well be their friendship is over for good.

I think Sutil may well stand a chance to drive in DTM or endurance racing somewhere, he is a good pilot and as mentioned a lot already, a conviction didn't stop Gachot from driving in the end. And who knows, if a top driver gets injured in F1 then Sutil is one name which will come up (assuming it's not at Lotus) as a replacement.

#28 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,151 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 21:48

:rotfl: :rotfl: 42 to 27 points is not matched! So much BS here ,the guy finished 9th in WDC and he is probably better than 2 guys that finished ahead of him.

Look past the points scores to the strategies Di Resta had, he had some dodgy choices imho. Like for like he was on Sutils pace.

#29 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 21:50

Look past the points scores to the strategies Di Resta had, he had some dodgy choices imho. Like for like he was on Sutils pace.

:up: But thats for another thread.

#30 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 22:25

Then sure enough, he goes and attacks an owner of an F1 team with a broken glass bottle?

Get your facts straight. He didn't attack anyone with a broken bottle. During an argument he hit someone with a champagne (or whatever he was drinking) glass which broke and cut the other guy in the process.

His F1 career is probably done. In my opinion he is a talented driver. He's probably better than some guys who finished ahead of him last year. But F1 is a shark pit and once you're wounded you're food unless you're extremely lucky...

#31 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:21

IIRC.. I believe it was a scheduling problem, the authorities wouldn't say when Sutil's trial would be until the last minute, Lewis (as with all drivers) was busy and couldn't make it to the trial but did send a written testimony - next best thing I guess.

That's bull. I swear we knew for at least a month when Sutil's trial was, and if we knew for a month then Hamilton knew for a month.

#32 djhazardous

djhazardous

• 56 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:39

Did everyone just completely forget how well Sutil did in 2011? He finished 9th in the World Drivers Championship. Considering the team, if that's not shining I don't know what is.

He had more points than any of the Renault, Sauber, Torro Rosso, Williams drivers and did far better than his team mate Di Resta who has secured a seat this year.

Edited by djhazardous, 11 March 2012 - 07:40.

#33 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:49

I know a guy like Adam Cooper has seen the Shanghai CCTV video and has publicly expressed how the verdict appears to be unfair to Sutil considering what he knows and what he saw...

I'm gonna side with that, and I find it quite sad Sutil lost his seat because of something like that..

The Hulk might develop into a good GP racer, but on merit I don't think Sutil deserved to lose that game of musical chairs..

#34 W03

W03

• 197 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:04

Glad to see him gone. He was always the biggest idiot/thug on track. Then sure enough, he goes and attacks an owner of an F1 team with a broken glass bottle?

I agree. Its interesting how his driving attitude is related to his off track personality. I always thought he was just a nasty type of person even before the assault.

#35 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,701 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:08

I don't remember Sutil being a thuggish driver. :confused:

#36 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:18

I don't remember Sutil being a thuggish driver. :confused:

He's made his share of boneheaded moves, but thuggish moves?

lol, it's too stupid to argue and waste bandwidth over

#37 zepunishment

zepunishment

• 603 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:30

Only flo-viz Jesus can save him now!

on a more serious note, there's probably more to it than what we know, Bernie should have stepped in and made sure it got sorted behind closed doors.

#38 davissi

davissi

• 51 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:45

Only flo-viz Jesus can save him now!

on a more serious note, there's probably more to it than what we know, Bernie should have stepped in and made sure it got sorted behind closed doors.

People over-estimate this Bernie guy sometimes. To be criminally convicted of an unlawful act is supposed to be a public affair, that's the whole point of the process. It is recognising unlawfulness within society. Saying it should be behind closed doors is a ridiculous thing to say.
Racing drivers are mere mortals like the rest of us, they abide by the same laws and social behaviour expectancy as anyone else. Bernie can be a trillionaire for all I care it doesn't make any difference.
I actually think Sutil should be able to resume his career and not have that suffer because of this but people are too fickle.

Edited by davissi, 11 March 2012 - 09:45.

#39 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:01

He's made his share of boneheaded moves, but thuggish moves?

lol, it's too stupid to argue and waste bandwidth over

Indeed. He may have been, well, over-enthusiastic at times but he never appeared to be deliberately dirty. And he cut a lot of that out after 2009 anyway.

I think Sutil's F1 career is over but not his racing career. Surely a DTM team or something like that would be happy to have him? But if he keeps pinning his hopes on an F1 return then he might end up missing some good opportunities.

Advertisement

#40 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:02

Some things that distinguish people like Sutil as thuggish more than just bone-headed, are (1) their willingness to do things that obviously have very high probability of screwing up someone else's race for only very small advantage in comparison to the potential consequences (eg see Sutil's habit of gunning it any time he went off track so as to come barreling back from out of nowhere regardless of whether or not there was another car that can't see him and regardless of how little control one can have when careening through grass and bouncing onto track over kerbs -- 09 Alonso at Brazil, Trulli at Barcelona) (2) the intimidation tactic where they drive in manner where other drivers are expected to assume that they will never yield a position or be stopped from taking a position bc they will prefer to crash into you. Sutil and Webber were usually the biggest offenders in this latter category, though Webber seems to have taken it down a notch over last season or two.

Not that this has really been worth going into. I think karma did it's thing here and/or the inevitable happened in that the guy simply took things too far and has paid now. In other words, things took care of themselves end of story.

Edited by 2ms, 11 March 2012 - 12:04.

#41 robefc

robefc

• 13,533 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:03

I know a guy like Adam Cooper has seen the Shanghai CCTV video and has publicly expressed how the verdict appears to be unfair to Sutil considering what he knows and what he saw...

I'm gonna side with that, and I find it quite sad Sutil lost his seat because of something like that..

The Hulk might develop into a good GP racer, but on merit I don't think Sutil deserved to lose that game of musical chairs..

Got any links/quotes?

Not doubting you, just like to see what he said

Thanks

EDIT - found this in another forum

donald29 wrote:
On Sutil, Adam Cooper tweeted CCTV showed that the other guy attacked Sutil first and Sutil just tried to push him away. He says the judge said the outcome of the case was influenced by the fact Sutil is famous and should be a role-model, basically meaning his punishment was harsher than it would have been if it was just a normal guy.

Edited by robefc, 11 March 2012 - 12:08.

#42 Dolph

Dolph

• 12,109 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:09

Is there any proof at all that that's why he lost his seat?

#43 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 6,304 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:38

I sure hope his career isn't over. I mean, we're talking about the guy who finished 9th in last year's championship. He comfortably beat a highly rated Paul di Resta. If you look at the current grid for the 2012 season, there are at least 7 or 8 drivers who are less than Adrian Sutil.

If Michael Schumacher decides to retire, I'd love to see Sutil take it up with Rosberg at Mercedes.

#44 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 12:43

The only issue I see with him is securing Visas and sponsorship, he's probably lost his Medion sponsorship after getting convicted. Also there's one team he's never gonna go to and that's Renault (Lotus) and possibly any Renault engined team...it's highly likely that it's over. But then if De La Rosa can stay in F1 forever...

It's a shame because people were rating him to take Massa's seat at Ferrari, his 2010 and especially 2011 seasons when he finally had a car capable of points showed he's not a slouch.

#45 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:50

Is there any proof at all that that's why he lost his seat?

Exactly. I think it's more that he was inconsistent and incident-prone, even after several years in F1 when he should've been past that. He raised his game last year but it was too late, and there's the argument that his game should have been at 100% always and not had room to raise it.

Shame anyway as he's a good guy and better than quite a few who are on the grid I think.

#46 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 16:08

He raised his game last year but it was too late, and there's the argument that his game should have been at 100% always and not had room to raise it.

He had some difficulties in the beginning of last season, overcame those issues and beat Di Resta very convincingly in the end. Sutils small slump wasn't bigger or worse than anything Button, Alonso and Schumacher have had - and drivers like Hamilton and Massa had a whole year of trouble in 2011.

#47 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:01

He had some difficulties in the beginning of last season, overcame those issues and beat Di Resta very convincingly in the end. Sutils small slump wasn't bigger or worse than anything Button, Alonso and Schumacher have had - and drivers like Hamilton and Massa had a whole year of trouble in 2011.

All those drivers you mention have been much more successful than Sutil. He'd have a drive IMO if his normal race had been as good as his best 10%, but his normal race seemed to have at least one place-costing error in it.

#48 Nigol

Nigol

• 2,740 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 18:45

Yet he scored 3 wins in a whole year of trouble. Wow that sounds pretty impressive when I think about it...

#49 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,345 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 19:29

Yet he scored 3 wins in a whole year of trouble. Wow that sounds pretty impressive when I think about it...

It's not, though, because the trouble was inconsistency not absolute pace.

#50 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 19:46

Man, oh man; if I get in trouble I know I can't count on many of you for support. Sounds like the Judge has an agenda frankly. You DON'T EVER want to go to Court especially in America. I admit I know NOTHING about the Euro Justice System and clearly it's no better.
It's the guy with the deepest pockets!