1960s F1 speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Racegamer

Racegamer

• 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 19:48

Greetings All...

I'm trying to do some comparisons & wonder if anyone has any info on the following:

I want to find out what the approximate top straightaway speed during a race (a car alone - not a slipstreaming car) would have been in 1960 (end of the 2.5 liter era), 1965 (end of the 1.5 liter cars) and 1970 (3.0 liter cars- but wings/aerodynamics are still in their infancy) on a high-speed track (i.e: Monza).

I thought I read somewhere that the 1.5 liter cars would have a hard time hitting 160 mph, but I can't find that reference again.

Thanks!

Bill W.

Edited by Racegamer, 15 March 2012 - 17:49.

Advertisement

#2 HistoryBuff

HistoryBuff

• 116 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 00:31

I don't have any speeds but have a story to tell about speeds. I thought when I was making a racing poster that I would put some line like "200 mph " was the ultimate barrier. But then I talked to John Morton who at least drove a Daytona coupe to 185 mph at LeMans if drivers that had come up through the ranks in slower cars were intimated by the thought of going 200 mph , as if it was a barrier.

He said: "We didn't have speedometers so we never thought about speed, just rpm in each gear." When they got back to the pits they might be told what speed they were clocked at.

So much for the psychological "barrier." But I still like to believe that for some who started out in TR-3s and stuff the idea of going 200 mph down the Mulsanne straight was a little off-putting....

Greetings All...

I'm trying to do some comparisons & wonder if anyone has any info on the following:

I want to find out what the approximate top straightaway speed during a race (a car alone - not a slipstreaming car) would have been in 1960 (end of the 2.5 liter era), 1965 (end of the 1.5 liter cars) and 1970 (3.0 liter cars- but wings/aerodynamics are still in their infancy) on a high-speed track (i.e: Monza).

I thought I read somewhere that the 1.5 liter cars would have a hard time hitting 160 mph, but I can't find that reference again.

Thanks!

Bill W.

#3 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 21:51

I don't have any speeds but have a story to tell about speeds. I thought when I was making a racing poster that I would put some line like "200 mph " was the ultimate barrier. But then I talked to John Morton who at least drove a Daytona coupe to 185 mph at LeMans if drivers that had come up through the ranks in slower cars were intimated by the thought of going 200 mph , as if it was a barrier.

He said: "We didn't have speedometers so we never thought about speed, just rpm in each gear." When they got back to the pits they might be told what speed they were clocked at.

So much for the psychological "barrier." But I still like to believe that for some who started out in TR-3s and stuff the idea of going 200 mph down the Mulsanne straight was a little off-putting....

A previous thread on maximum speeds quotes speeds in the 165 mph range for 1965 cars. Is that what you're thinking of?

#4 llmaurice

llmaurice

• 431 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 13:42

A previous thread on maximum speeds quotes speeds in the 165 mph range for 1965 cars. Is that what you're thinking of?

All I know is that at Avus in 1959 the Ferraris could nearly blow the signal board man round .
I suspect that was one of the fastest straight line circuits because of the speed coming off that banking .