Photo

The life and career of Alex (or Alec) Campbell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 13:08

I'm searching informations about the life and career of South Australian sidecar star Alex (or, according to different accounts, Alec) Campbell. Renowned pilot and chassis builder.
I know he raced a Yamaha outfit at the IOM TT in the mid-1970s, and possibly he suffered a huge accident in a not specified circuit in Australia in the early 1980s. Don't know his fate.
Any help?

Advertisement

#2 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 14:14

http://forums.autosp...amp;hl=campbell

Edited by Rennmax, 13 March 2012 - 21:33.

#3 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 16:49

Glenn!?

#4 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 17:03

I'm searching informations about the life and career of South Australian sidecar star Alex (or, according to different accounts, Alec) Campbell. Renowned pilot and chassis builder.
I know he raced a Yamaha outfit at the IOM TT in the mid-1970s, and possibly he suffered a huge accident in a not specified circuit in Australia in the early 1980s. Don't know his fate.
Any help?

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello boys,
I purchased that rolling frame in 1976 and it was good handling after a few frame mods.
Went on to hold lap records at Winton, Virginia park, Lake Side even managed to pull off 2nd in the 1977 Indonesian GP
The bike was destroyed in May 1980 when we were involved in a fatal accident with Alex Campbell

#5 Dewie

Dewie

• 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 13:00

Any help?

Here's a video of Alex Cambell at AIR 1980 one race and a couple of hours before he died,

#6 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 17:34

Nice one Graeme, looks like that race was a lot of fun, I must admit Alex Campbell was not a name I knew here in UK, but sounds like he was a well loved guy & racer down there in Australia. RIP Alex.

#7 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:36

I raced an ex Campell outfit in the late 90s that Big Gav Porteous bought for me to race. I think Neville Lush has one as well