GP3 season 2012

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 17:27

Two questions:

1. Why did Carlos Sainz jr. test for Lotus in Barcelona? He has a drive in British F3 (only 12 cars until now!!!) and Lotus yet three other drivers...

2. Any details about John Wartique who tested this week for Atech CRS?

Also interesting:
- Da Costa seems to drive for Carlin although his Manager Monteiro enter his Ocean team in GP3...

Ceccon would be fine (surprising he didn't get the Coloni GP2 drive) and a possible champion as Derek Daly, Aaro Vainio, Daniel Abt, Mitch Evans and Da Costa.

Advertisement

#2 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 17:35

Two questions:

1. Why did Carlos Sainz jr. test for Lotus in Barcelona? He has a drive in British F3 (only 12 cars until now!!!) and Lotus yet three other drivers...

2. Any details about John Wartique who tested this week for Atech CRS?

Also interesting:
- Da Costa seems to drive for Carlin although his Manager Monteiro enter his Ocean team in GP3...

Ceccon would be fine (surprising he didn't get the Coloni GP2 drive) and a possible champion as Derek Daly, Aaro Vainio, Daniel Abt, Mitch Evans and Da Costa.

1. Aaron Vainio had a school commitment. Had to take a test or something. Hence, they brought in one of the top junior formula drivers for a test.

2. From his Facebook page, looks a bit like Robert Cregan at ORT. His pics has him doing saloon racing in the Clio Cup, and has some pics from a historic rally. Seems to also have backing from the UAE has he has their flag splashed across the sidepods of his GP3 car during the tests.

No clue about Da Costa. I would believe the deal was set up before ORT took over the Tech 1 slot on the grid (as Tech 1 did test in test before the last few days).

It's Conor Daly, Derek's son.

I think drivers from the top 3 teams will challenge for the title. Arden, Lotus, and Manor. The Ralf Schumacher team hasn't tested and hasn't listed any drivers as of yet, so it looks like we might only have 27 cars on the grid.

#3 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 17:43

Also interesting:

I think Costa had signed a deal last year with Carlin, so he's still probably tied to the Carlin program: This also avoids any bad talk of being the boss's kid had he entered Ocean. And Ocean isnt exactly handing seats to any portuguese for free, at least from what I am following.

#4 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,844 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 20:02

Thank you very much.

RSC Mücke do not want to drive in 2012 but the GP3 organisation want to go legal with the team because they have a contact. Addax out, Tech 1 out, RSC Mücke out. Seems like the series has also financial trubbles.

Da Costa not official confirmed at Carlin...

#5 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:44

Vicky Piria:
Posted Image

Carmen Jorda:

Posted Image

Should be a good season :up:

#6 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:31

If you invert the grid.

#7 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:39

If you invert the grid.

More chance of the cameras following the two ladies lapping in 30th & 31st than there is of them following the leaders.

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:59

You should post pics of their helmets then, it's the only thing we'll see.

#9 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:39

You should post pics of their helmets then, it's the only thing we'll see.

Good idea
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 15:04

Seems that Alice Powell is also testing a GP3 at Silverstone this week.
http://www.gp3series...rstone-Preview/

#11 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 15:49

Hopefully we will get a woman come through the formulaes and good enough to reach F1...

If you google Vicky Piria though you can see she is certainly living up to the stereotypes.

#12 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:03

Seems that Alice Powell is also testing a GP3 at Silverstone this week.
http://www.gp3series...rstone-Preview/

Oh good grief, if she does GP3 this year then we'll never hear the end of it on either British broadcaster. And I don't expect her to do anything on track to warrant it either. She'll probably do better than Piria and Jorda, but that really isn't saying much.

I'd like a woman to come up through the formulas and prove that she's good enough for F1 on merit too. But none of those three is that woman and there's no point in pretending otherwise. I'd rather wait for the real thing instead of hyping up mediocre talents because they have boobs.

#13 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:34

I'd rather wait for the real thing instead of hyping up mediocre talents because they have boobs.

i dont think Vicky Piria agrees with you :lol:

#14 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 17:03

Oh good grief, if she does GP3 this year then we'll never hear the end of it on either British broadcaster. And I don't expect her to do anything on track to warrant it either. She'll probably do better than Piria and Jorda, but that really isn't saying much.

I'd like a woman to come up through the formulas and prove that she's good enough for F1 on merit too. But none of those three is that woman and there's no point in pretending otherwise. I'd rather wait for the real thing instead of hyping up mediocre talents because they have boobs.

What even happened to Sarah Moore?

#15 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 17:13

Who?

#16 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 17:43

i dont think Vicky Piria agrees with you :lol:

Oh dear. :p

What even happened to Sarah Moore?

Who?

The Ginetta Juniors girl? "Who?" might be the most accurate way to sum it up, because she doesn't seem to be up to much judging by her website.

#17 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 17:49

Well I shouldn't be too harsh because Josh Hill did Ginettas, but he's racing Formula Renault these days.

#18 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:02

Well I shouldn't be too harsh because Josh Hill did Ginettas, but he's racing Formula Renault these days.

Nothing wrong with Ginettas as a baseline for something like that, but after a bit of Googling it seems Sarah Moore came 6th in the Intersteps Championship last year, which I had never heard of until 5 seconds ago. I can't really comment on the quality of the field but it's doesn't look like she's on the immediate path to F1 for the moment. Getting rather OT though!

#19 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:10

Oh good God! I do wish Powell would just let her career roll over and die! She is flipping hopeless despite what non-knowers may say. She recently tested a Ginetta G55 and she was not even near the pace!

I've said it before and I will say it again! Give up Powell!

Advertisement

#20 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:16

Oh good God! I do wish Powell would just let her career roll over and die! She is flipping hopeless despite what non-knowers may say. She recently tested a Ginetta G55 and she was not even near the pace!

I've said it before and I will say it again! Give up Powell!

Bit harsh. I've been rather exasperated by the misleading coverage she gets and don't think she'll be any better than lower midfield in GP3, but if she wants to pursue motorsports then why shouldn't she? I sincerely doubt she'll get anywhere near F1 on merit but it's her business if she wants to try.

#21 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:18

Yeah I've got no problem with her trying but as my esteemed colleague points out, and you have also noticed, there's a little more sizzle than steak in her case. I like Formula Renault BARC but winning there does not make you 'one to watch'.

#22 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:27

It may come across as harsh, but it is for her own good. She should be realistic and pursue a solid GT career. Forget single seaters and F1, it is not going to happen.

This is what frustrates me. Not that she wants to compete. That is all very well and good, but have a real focus on making a career out of it. Look at someone like Sean Edwards in the Porsche Supercup amongst other series. He is a great example of someone who was never going to make it in single seaters, made the switch and now he is living the dream!

He lives in Monaco, he is all but a factory driver for Porsche, he has a stunning girlfriend, he is on c.£250k from all racing commitments and the thing I am most jealous of? He has a black Amex card! ;)

Seriously though, the F1 dream is a massive problem in todays racing youngsters. For most of them when they wake up and smell the coffee it is too late to switch categories and so they are left stacking shelves in Tesco!

Be wise...

#23 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:37

Yeah I've got no problem with her trying but as my esteemed colleague points out, and you have also noticed, there's a little more sizzle than steak in her case. I like Formula Renault BARC but winning there does not make you 'one to watch'.

Which is exactly my gripe with the coverage she receives. I just don't think that means she should let her career roll over and die if she doesn't want to. I actually agree that she would be better off pursuing a GT career or the like but she'll probably end up doing that eventually regardless of whether she runs GP3 this year or not.

EDIT: I would predict Evans for the championship at the moment sopa, he's the returner who made the best impression on me last year.

Edited by KateLM, 10 April 2012 - 18:39.

#24 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 18:50

Well, just to close the ladies sub-topic, this week's test just give a few pointers, tho Jordá's times from last session spell Milka Duno all over it.

Moving on....
Answering to a previous post, da Costa is confirmed since late March http://www.carlin.co...arlinforGP3.htm

#25 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:04

Seriously though, the F1 dream is a massive problem in todays racing youngsters. For most of them when they wake up and smell the coffee it is too late to switch categories and so they are left stacking shelves in Tesco!

Be wise...

Oh come on, she's only 19. Didn't you have (unrealistic) dreams of having an incredibly glamorous and exciting career and being famous around the world when you were 19? Or did you want to grow up and be a Chartered Accountant? :p

And on the plus side, she can at least say she's won twice as many open wheel races as Danica Patrick  ;)

#26 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:22

Alice has won only one open wheel race in Barc which also clinched her the championship. DP has won an Indycar race. There is quite a big difference.

However yes, I dreamed of being famous and successful at something cool! Nearly there now...;)

#27 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:45

Alice has won only one open wheel race in Barc which also clinched her the championship. DP has won an Indycar race. There is quite a big difference.

Yes, I quite realise the difference, hence the  ;)

Driver Database has her down for 2 from 12 in BARC but I couldn't confirm.

However yes, I dreamed of being famous and successful at something cool! Nearly there now...;)

Well, good for you! Whereas I really am a Chartered Accountant :yawnface:

As for the GP3 championship, I reckon Conor Daly has a good chance. He was completely at sea at the start of last year and I was willing to write him off as another untalented 'legacy' driver but he seemed to be genuinely getting the hang of it towards the end. Though Evans and Da Costa will be hard to beat.

#28 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 20:06

Tio Ellinias looks interesting.

#29 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 20:29

As for the GP3 championship, I reckon Conor Daly has a good chance. He was completely at sea at the start of last year and I was willing to write him off as another untalented 'legacy' driver but he seemed to be genuinely getting the hang of it towards the end. Though Evans and Da Costa will be hard to beat.

See, I viewed it as Carlin giving the GP3 drivers a bad car. Tom Dillman struggled, as did 2010 Silverstone winner Daniel Morad. Not much effort given by the team in the series. And I honestly don't think it'll change seeing that they brought on Alex Brundle. I think da Costa will challenge for top 5, but not for the title.

I think Evans has it in the bag unless Abt and Daly can challenge.

#30 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 293 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 21:39

Tio Ellinias looks interesting.

I believe tio is possibly the real deal. Money and time will tell!

#31 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:41

See, I viewed it as Carlin giving the GP3 drivers a bad car. Tom Dillman struggled, as did 2010 Silverstone winner Daniel Morad. Not much effort given by the team in the series. And I honestly don't think it'll change seeing that they brought on Alex Brundle. I think da Costa will challenge for top 5, but not for the title.

I think Evans has it in the bag unless Abt and Daly can challenge.

Well there's not much point in Carlin concentrating their resources on Brit F3 this year since, barring some heroics from Lynn, they seem to have that sewn up already.

#32 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:32

For those interested GP3's twitter is following the test, tho the standings are given in a very telegraphic format.
http://twitter.com/#!/GP3_Official

#33 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:50

Well there's not much point in Carlin concentrating their resources on Brit F3 this year since, barring some heroics from Lynn, they seem to have that sewn up already.

From three races Fortec has two of the wins. So that's 1 for Carlin and none for Lynn :p

#34 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:46

From three races Fortec has two of the wins. So that's 1 for Carlin and none for Lynn :p

Well it was an odd weekend for sure. Anyone can win the reverse grid races though and I can't see Serrales as a major title contender somehow. I may be proved wrong though. Stranger thinks have happened :drunk:

#35 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 19:24

Mitch Evans only 17 :eek:

Alice Powell did alright today.

#36 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 19:31

Combined times from the final day of testing:

Driver Team Laptime
1 Mitch Evans MW Arden 01:50.2
2 Antonio Felix Da Costa Carlin 01:50.5
3 Conor Daly Lotus GP 01:50.6
4 Tio Ellinas Marussia Manor Racing 01:50.6
5 William Buller Carlin 01:50.7
6 Robert Visoiu Jenzer Motorsport 01:50.7
7 David Fumanelli MW Arden 01:50.7
8 Marlon Stockinger Status Grand Prix 01:50.8
9 Aaro Vainio Lotus GP 01:50.8
10 Daniel Abt Lotus GP 01:50.9
11 Matias Laine MW Arden 01:51.1
12 Kevin Ceccon Ocean Racing Technology 01:51.1
13 Patric Niederhauser Jenzer Motorsport 01:51.4
14 Alex Brundle Carlin 01:51.4
15 Maxim Zimin Jenzer Motorsport 01:51.5
16 Tamas Pal Kiss Atech CRS GP 01:51.6
17 Fabiano Machado Marussia Manor Racing 01:51.9
18 Kotaro Sakurai Status Grand Prix 01:51.9
19 Alice Powell Status Grand Prix 01:52.0
20 Dmitry Suranovich Marussia Manor Racing 01:52.0
21 Antonio Spavone Trident Racing 01:52.3
22 Robert Cregan Ocean Racing Technology 01:52.8
23 John Wartique Atech CRS GP 01:53.0
24 Ethan Ringel Atech CRS GP 01:53.5
25 Vicky Piria Trident Racing 01:53.9
26 Carmen Jorda Ocean Racing Technology 01:55.2

Pretty much everyone where you'd expect them no? Evans out in front. Da Costa, Daly & Ellinas in hot pursuit. Brundle firmly glued to the midfield where he's spent most of his career. Atech looks like they're struggling. The, uh, "hot chicks" stuck at the back. Oh no, hang on, Alice actually managed to outpace a few blokes. Gotta start somewhere I suppose :p

Edited by billm99uk, 12 April 2012 - 19:41.

#37 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 22:04

Pretty much everyone where you'd expect them no? Evans out in front. Da Costa, Daly & Ellinas in hot pursuit. Brundle firmly glued to the midfield where he's spent most of his career. Atech looks like they're struggling. The, uh, "hot chicks" stuck at the back. Oh no, hang on, Alice actually managed to outpace a few blokes. Gotta start somewhere I suppose :p

Well, in all honestly, the hot one's are still in the back. Powell is not hot.

#38 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 22:14

Well, in all honestly, the hot one's are still in the back. Powell is not hot.

Yes, on second reading I can see how its open to interpretation, but really I was referring to Ms. Piria and Jorda as the "hot chicks" since they seem to be marketing themselves as such ;)

#39 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 8,379 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:54

You really think you can claim some kind of high ground when you keep harping on about women drivers' looks?

I haven't seen any of the ones in GP3 do swimsuit modelling so give it a rest and discuss the racing please.

Advertisement

#40 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:48

I haven't seen any of the ones in GP3 do swimsuit modelling so give it a rest and discuss the racing please.

Google Vicky Piria and then come back with that statement :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#41 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:49

You really think you can claim some kind of high ground when you keep harping on about women drivers' looks?

Who me? Or Haydenfan?

#42 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:53

Google Vicky Piria and then come back with that statement :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe not swimsuits, but I think she likes leather?

#43 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 14:38

Maybe not swimsuits, but I think she likes leather?

And lingerie.

#44 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:23

Alice Powell secures Status GP3 deal for 2012 season

#45 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 6,443 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:22

Alice Powell secures Status GP3 deal for 2012 season

Well that was predictable. Anyone see the feature on her on the F1 show? I deleted it by mistake :blush:

#46 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:24

Wise choice.

#47 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:04

Line-up:

Lotus GP
1 (Ger) Daniel Abt
2 (US) Conor Daly
3 (Fin) Aaro Vainio

MW Arden
4 (NZ) Mitch Evans
5 (It) David Fumanelli
6 (Fin) Matias Laine

Marussia Manor Racing
7 (Rus) Dmitry Suranovich
8 (Bra) Fabiano Machado
9 (Cyp) Tio Ellinas

Status Grand Prix
14 (Fil) Marlon Stöckinger
15 (Jpn) Kotaro Sakurai
16 (UK) Alice Powell

Ocean Racing Technology
17 (It) Kevin Ceccon
18 (Sp) Carmen Jordá
19 (Ire) Robert Cregan

Jenzer Motorsport
20 (Rom) Robert Visoiu
21 (Swi) Patric Niederhauser
22 (Cze) Jakub Klasterka

Trident Racing
23 (It) Vicky Piria
24 (It) Antonio Spavone
25 TBA

Carlin
26 (UK) Alex Brundle
27 (Por) António Félix da Costa
28 (UK) William Buller

Atech CRS Grand Prix
29 (Hun) Tamás Pál Kiss
30 (Bel) John Wartique
31 (US) Ethan Ringel

Reduced grid this season as Mucke Motorsport have pulled out late in the day.

#48 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,219 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:07

I'd quite like for Felix da Costa to grab the title and I think he'll be around the top spots, but sadly can't see him going all the way. He's clever and talented but would still rate Evans a little higher. His career has been pretty well managed though, he's gone up the ranks without huge budget issues which is what plagued Parente before him for example. He could very well become F1's next portuguese driver after his own manager Monteiro.

Speaking of Parente, probably time to remove him from my signature sadly, he's not coming back to single seaters and I don't follow the series he's at the moment. :\

That Uncle Ellinas guy (tio = uncle in portuguese :drunk: ) seems talented indeed, I don't think I've ever heard of a cypriot driver before? Where's his backing coming from? Drivers from these odd countries seem to climb the ranks only whether they're really good or funded by their governments!

#49 Red17

Red17

• 3,921 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:17

I don't think I've ever heard of a cypriot driver before? Where's his backing coming from? Drivers from these odd countries seem to climb the ranks only whether they're really good or funded by their governments!

I think it's just another case of smaller countries having lots of passion for motorsport (before football arrives and crashes the party). There was that guy in 250 cc Moto Gp with a San Marino license and Monaco also had a real local winning it's GP.
I do happen to know a co-driver (or navigator) in Cyprus and it seems they love the stuff a lot. It's even more incredible considering the island has, ahem, «a few issues».

#50 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:04

Tio's a good driver, impressive in Formula Ford, jumped to Formula Renault UK last year and consistently at the front at the front finishing P3. I think He'll be near the front eventually.

Also, Alice Powell had some issues in practise yesterday and she's doing a good job so far, compared to the other female racers she's doing great.