Photo

GP3 season 2012

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#351 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 1,951 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:41

That was a fantastic final race of the season. Well done to Mitch Evans.

Advertisement

#352 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,483 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:41

Alice Powell ends up in 8th spot - Seems she got the hang of it in the last two races.

#353 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:46

Really glad to see Ellinas get a win, if he calms down a bit he's definitely one to watch for the future.

Despite this weekend I think Evans deserved it more (and the points don't lie) so I'm happy for him, but also a bit gutted for Abt after he came so close!

As for Alice Powell - I'm sorry but the talents at the front do not tend to take that long to get the hang of it. Most of the midfield get the odd point sooner or later - and I knew she would. And that's what she is - not terrible by any means, but that doesn't make her one to watch either. Status aren't the best team but they certainly aren't the worst.

EDIT: I forgot to say, but Venturini has also made a good impression on me in his half season. Really seemed to drag Trident forwards.

Edited by KateLM, 09 September 2012 - 07:48.

#354 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,160 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:46

Well done Tio for the win! Great drive!

#355 dreamer

dreamer

• 680 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:53

Great race!

#356 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:55

Shame about Abt. But hey... rookie of the season and just 1point behind Evans.

#357 Snic

Snic

• 569 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:21

Abt can have no complaints he had his chance and didn't take it; Mitch has been so good all season in the end he just about deserved it. Fantastic race, can't wait to see what these guys can do in GP2 next year

Edited by Snic, 09 September 2012 - 08:21.

#358 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,251 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:29

Shame about Abt. But hey... rookie of the season and just 1point behind Evans.

Abt made one mistake on the last lap - that was it. Once he straightlined the chicane he was going to have problems, but he carved through the field to get there and held his composure for much longer than Evans.

Both are staggering talents and I look forward to their rivalry continuing in the higher formulae.

#359 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,483 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:29

As for Alice Powell - I'm sorry but the talents at the front do not tend to take that long to get the hang of it. Most of the midfield get the odd point sooner or later - and I knew she would. And that's what she is - not terrible by any means, but that doesn't make her one to watch either. Status aren't the best team but they certainly aren't the worst.

In a one-make series the two biggest factors are the quality team (which could be worth 1/4 to 1/2 a second per lap) and experience, so let's pick out a couple of names she beat today: Conor Daly, a race winner & podium visitor in Indy Lights and GP3; and Alex Brundle, very experienced in driving turbocharged cars, 3 seasons in Formula Audi, 2 seasons in F2, plus a season in British F3 as well as his sports-car experience at Le Mans, plus, of course, a Formula One driver to advise him. Alice Powell - 2008 Ginetta Junior, 2009 F. Renault/F. Palmer, 2010 F. Renault/Ginetta G50, 2011 F. Renault. All national championships, hardly comparable to the large scale international championships the other two have experience in. I'm not saying she is brilliant, but considering she only knew she had a drive about 3 weeks before the season started, she has put up a respectable performance, and is, I believe, the first woman to get points in a Grand Prix single-seater support race.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 09 September 2012 - 08:30.

Advertisement

#360 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:38

Abt can have no complaints he had his chance and didn't take it; Mitch has been so good all season in the end he just about deserved it. Fantastic race, can't wait to see what these guys can do in GP2 next year

Ultimately this is what it comes down to. Hard for him to take after coming so close, but Ellinas was quicker and Evans did the work in the races before to have the points buffer to just about get away with a disaster weekend. I did wonder if the half points in Spa would end up being decisive though...but then there's no guarantee that Abt would have held on to the lead if Cregan hadn't crashed so that's academic anyway.

Abt seems to be well funded so he possibly has the best situation of the 4 title contenders next season anyway - assuming ART and Telmex don't want another year of Gutierrez being underwhelming then he's got a good chance of being promoted to the GP2 team. And that hasn't worked out badly for the last GP3 runner-up.

Da Costa will be in FR3.5 next year because of Red Bull. Vainio could end up in GP2 but not sure about Evans - Pirelli are offering a bursary for the GP3 champion to make the step up but it's pocket change relative to the current GP2 budgets.

Edit: Yes, she beat Daly and Brundle today. They beat her in many other races. And considering Brundle a)is the definition of mediocre himself and b)started from near the back due to being disqualified then it really isn't the strongest argument. I will defend her from those saying that she doesn't deserve to be there because she has proven competent, but I do find it frustrated that being 'not crap' is construed as being promising. No, she didn't have much testing but there have been mid-season replacements like Venturini who have done more with their chance. If she was a man then absolutely no one would care that she managed one point in the last race.

Edited by KateLM, 09 September 2012 - 08:52.

#361 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,483 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:51

I suspect Evans may disappear off the radar as Filippi did, being a brilliant driver is no guarantee of advancement.

#362 Wander

Wander

• 2,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:48

Edit: Yes, she beat Daly and Brundle today. They beat her in many other races. And considering Brundle a)is the definition of mediocre himself and b)started from near the back due to being disqualified then it really isn't the strongest argument. I will defend her from those saying that she doesn't deserve to be there because she has proven competent, but I do find it frustrated that being 'not crap' is construed as being promising. No, she didn't have much testing but there have been mid-season replacements like Venturini who have done more with their chance. If she was a man then absolutely no one would care that she managed one point in the last race.

This is all true, but big improvements are possible. For example, Matias Laine (22 years old) scored no points last season (best finish of 14th) and this season he won a race and finished fifth in the championship. Change of teams was from Marussia Manor to Arden must have given him a big boost. I don't see why that couldn't potentially happen to someone like Alice Powell as well.

#363 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:56

I would think the experience of a year in the series would be as valuable as the team change. Assuming your first team wasn't completely incompetent.

#364 Wander

Wander

• 2,281 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:59

I would think the experience of a year in the series would be as valuable as the team change. Assuming your first team wasn't completely incompetent.

Yes, that too, of course.

#365 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,817 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:13

If she was a man then absolutely no one would care that she managed one point in the last race.

If she was a man and had only scored one point, no one would mention him unless they shared a passport.

#366 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:05

That was tough to follow as an Evans supporter but somehow scrapped over the line. No points in the last 3 races - the points for pole yesterday proving crucial.

#367 Bleu

Bleu

• 781 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 14:24

I think that was it. There was nothing wrong with the team last year, AQH was fifth and Rio 7th.

Evans 9th -> 1st
da Costa 13th -> 3rd
Vainio 15th -> 4th
Kiss 16th -> 12th
Daly 17th -> 6th

Stöckinger and Laine scored no points last year, this year they were 10th and 5th.

Next year the car is changing radically so I don't expect much advantage for those who continue in the series.

#368 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:15

I suspect Evans may disappear off the radar as Filippi did, being a brilliant driver is no guarantee of advancement.

Arden has teams in higher formulae though, I would have thought that Mitch would get a promotion within Arden.

#369 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,956 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:34

If she was a man and had only scored one point, no one would mention him unless they shared a passport.

Yes that's the advantage/disadvantage with being a female driver. You're very visible. Great when you're finishing at the front, not so much when you're a tail ender. Does, say, Wartique or Ringel get 1/100th of the stick of Piria or Jorda for example...

#370 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:35

He is best buds with Webber and if he keeps up doing what he is i wouldn't be shocked he if ends up getting some red bull backing, i think he's got a good future providing he keeps getting the results.

EDIT: And as for Luca, yes he's a good driver but he has been around at this level since 2006, his level of experience in GP2 is huge, that a big advantage over a very mediocre GP2 grid.

Edited by olliek88, 10 September 2012 - 11:38.

#371 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:47

I'm quite happy to give stick to them billm99uk - Ringel had no business racing at this level given his experience and ability (or lack thereof). Wartique and Cregan were rubbish as well. But yes, everything with female drivers is a superlative - either they are brilliant or crap. Personally I think the best thing that could happen for female drivers to be taken seriously is if they were judged by the same criteria as everyone else, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Arden has teams in higher formulae though, I would have thought that Mitch would get a promotion within Arden.

Seems like the obvious step, but they are still going to need a budget from him.

Maybe his career will end up petering out like so many others eventually, but I'll be highly surprised if he isn't at least racing FR3.5 next year.

#372 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,194 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:17

I think that was it. There was nothing wrong with the team last year, AQH was fifth and Rio 7th.

Evans 9th -> 1st
da Costa 13th -> 3rd
Vainio 15th -> 4th
Kiss 16th -> 12th
Daly 17th -> 6th

Stöckinger and Laine scored no points last year, this year they were 10th and 5th.

Next year the car is changing radically so I don't expect much advantage for those who continue in the series.

It just shows how well Abt did!

#373 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:25

It just shows how well Abt did!

Now that the dust has settled a bit after the drama of this weekend I think Abt profited massively from the misfortune of others to get as close as he did. And he was also in probably the best team (who won the title with a rookie last year). Regardless, he definitely has talent. He, Evans and Da Costa are ones to watch for me. Less sure about Vainio to be honest.

#374 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:26

That Evans scored so little in the last 2 races despite scoring both poles and making no glaring mistakes (would have been better to avoid incident altogether of course) indicates that the chasers were flattered a little. Although both Abt and Da Costa finished the season very impressively and certainly deserve chances at a higher level along with Evans.

btw. Evans only gets the Pirelli money if he goes to GP2, but he does need more budget. Would be great if a British sponsor would come on board for a NZ driver for once... not sure how much more Giltrap can give, bless him.

Edited by expert, 10 September 2012 - 18:26.

#375 expert

expert

• 1,030 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:29

Someone should go convince Peter Jackson to put a Hobbit on the side of his car... racecar drivers are short, I sense crossover...

Edited by expert, 10 September 2012 - 18:29.

#376 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,817 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 18:51

I'm quite happy to give stick to them billm99uk - Ringel had no business racing at this level given his experience and ability (or lack thereof). Wartique and Cregan were rubbish as well. But yes, everything with female drivers is a superlative - either they are brilliant or crap. Personally I think the best thing that could happen for female drivers to be taken seriously is if they were judged by the same criteria as everyone else, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

There are always going to be crap drivers around when the economy turns down, because the teams need money to keep going and have to take the rich kids.

And female drivers are judged by the same criteria as make drivers: it's called the points table, and it's not separated by sex. It's just that there are far fewer female drivers, so they stand out more than the kids with more cash than talent.

Although I've got to say, Wartique is probably prettier than the GP3 girls :p

#377 Pilla

Pilla

• 2,342 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 22:16

That Evans scored so little in the last 2 races despite scoring both poles and making no glaring mistakes (would have been better to avoid incident altogether of course) indicates that the chasers were flattered a little. Although both Abt and Da Costa finished the season very impressively and certainly deserve chances at a higher level along with Evans.

btw. Evans only gets the Pirelli money if he goes to GP2, but he does need more budget. Would be great if a British sponsor would come on board for a NZ driver for once... not sure how much more Giltrap can give, bless him.

Giltrap is worth about 3 hundred million dollars and motor racing is his passion - how much does a seat in GP2 cost? You would think for someone like Mitch who has good credentials would get a seat cheaper than someone else.

#378 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:23

Félix da Costa Bump Drafting at Monza

...and he did the same to Vainio on the 2nd race :cool:

Edited by JRodrigues, 11 September 2012 - 18:23.

#379 Snic

Snic

• 569 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:26

Félix da Costa Bump Drafting at Monza

...and he did the same to Vainio on the 2nd race :cool:

Haha great vid. Didn't he get overtaken straight after providing the bump draft in the second race..

Hopefully GP2 will be a lot more interesting next year with some of the GP3 graduates entering

Edited by Snic, 11 September 2012 - 18:27.

Advertisement

#380 JRodrigues

JRodrigues

• 313 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:33

Haha great vid. Didn't he get overtaken straight after providing the bump draft in the second race..

Yes, by Evans.

#381 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 18:48

Tio Ellinas will be testing the new Marussia F1 car in the 2013 young drivers rookie test.

#382 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 19:46

Err, when is that?

#383 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 19:47

btw has Will Buxton never watched single seater racing below GP2 before? That bump drafting is nothing new.

#384 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 21:18

Err, when is that?

Is that question for me?

#385 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 21:31

btw has Will Buxton never watched single seater racing below GP2 before? That bump drafting is nothing new.

I got to be honest, i've never seen it in single seater racing before. Not saying its never happened i'm sure it has but is it quite common then?

#386 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,563 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 21:54

I got to be honest, i've never seen it in single seater racing before. Not saying its never happened i'm sure it has but is it quite common then?

In lower powered series yeah, especially on long straights like that. It's not common at most tracks but it's also not some super rare oval-thing either.

Is that question for me?

Yeah I didn't understand 2013 young drivers test. Is that post-season or the start of next year or ? And when is the 2013 Marussia coming out?

#387 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 22:00

Yeah I didn't understand 2013 young drivers test. Is that post-season or the start of next year or ? And when is the 2013 Marussia coming out?

Not sure to be honest, some time in 2013. He posted it on FB. You can read more about it on his twitter.
https://twitter.com/TioEllinas

#388 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,194 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 13:03

Excuse my stupidity, why would he be bump drafting? Never seen it before in single seaters so I'm not sure why he'd take a risk like that?

Thought about it and I can see why now, ignore me. :)

Edited by Brandz07, 12 September 2012 - 13:08.

#389 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,160 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:52

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102507

Tio Ellinas gets Marussia young driver role

#390 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 21:57

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102507

Tio Ellinas gets Marussia young driver role

Slightly misleading headline to be honest. He gets a young driver test (at the end of next year!), which Manor have given to their highest placed GP3 driver since the series begun. There's nothing in that article that says they are giving him a role in the team beyond that.

#391 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,160 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 22:14

Slightly misleading headline to be honest. He gets a young driver test (at the end of next year!), which Manor have given to their highest placed GP3 driver since the series begun. There's nothing in that article that says they are giving him a role in the team beyond that.

It's still a great opportunity though, for any young driver to get a chance to test an F1 car. We're really proud of him here in Cyprus. It's the first time we've had a driver from Cyprus competing in GP3. It's also quite impressive that all of the teams 99 points came from him. He placed 8th while his teammates placed 21st and 23rd. Not bad for a rookie.

Just to add a few interesting stats. Sorry if I keep harping on. :)

Grand Prix Shootout

Ellinas took part in the inaugural Grand Prix Shootout competition in the United Kingdom in 2009. He was assessed by world famous driving coach Rob Wilson in September 2009 as part of the competition. He then completed a number of sessions in a Double R Racing Formula BMW car at the Pembrey Circuit in Wales. In January 2010, Ellinas was announced as the first Grand Prix Shootout winner at the Autosport International exhibition. He had taken on 50 other karters and drivers with over 100 major racing titles between them, and in the end was the runaway winner of the shootout.

Formula Ford

Ellinas competed in the MSA Dunlop Formula Ford Championship of Great Britain with the JTR team. Tio was only the second driver since the legendary Ayrton Senna to start on the front row of a British Formula Ford race in his car racing debut, and was also the fastest pilot at every wet test during that debut year. Tio's fourth position overall in the 2010 MSA British Formula Ford championship earned him Rookie Of The Year honors, and is the best result for a rookie driver since current Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Formula One driver - and the 2009 World Champion - Jenson Button in 1998.

Edited by PARAZAR, 13 September 2012 - 22:24.

#392 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,793 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:21

Autosport's Top Ten GP3 drivers:

1. Mitch Evans
2. Antonio Felix da Costa
3. Daniel Abt
4. Tio Ellinas
5. Matias Laine
6. Aaro Vainio
7. Conor Daly
8. Patric Niederhauser
9. Will Buller
10. Marlon Stockinger

#393 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,956 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:38

Autosport's Top Ten GP3 drivers:

1. Mitch Evans
2. Antonio Felix da Costa
3. Daniel Abt
4. Tio Ellinas
5. Matias Laine
6. Aaro Vainio
7. Conor Daly
8. Patric Niederhauser
9. Will Buller
10. Marlon Stockinger

Bit harsh on Vainio I think. For a large part of the season him and Evans were in a different class.

#394 Jackman

Jackman

• 12,817 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:43

Yeah, Aaro should be in the top 4, even though the wheels fell off a bit at the end.

Mind you, but for 1/100th in Monza, he might have even won the whole thing.

#395 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,342 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 18:52

I agree that it's rather harsh on Vainio - perhaps it all got to him a bit mentally at the end but Ellinas was more than a little erratic until he finally got it together in the final weekend. Finishing the season well makes a much bigger impression than starting it well, unfortunately.

In terms of pace he was clearly better than the likes of Laine, who scored most of his points by being anonymous and staying out of trouble.

Other than that it's not a terrible list, I'd put Niederhauser a place or two higher and Buller perhaps one lower though.