Photo

LSR car lever (?)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:09

In the 250F thread the is some discussion re a protuberance apparently out of the front of a 250F.

In this photo is a vertical lever sort of thing sticking up beside the driver. Is this part of the controls or just something entirely inconsequential?

Posted Image

Edited by sandy, 14 March 2012 - 01:11.

Advertisement

#2 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:50

In the 250F thread the is some discussion re a protuberance apparently out of the front of a 250F.

In this photo is a vertical lever sort of thing sticking up beside the driver. Is this part of the controls or just something entirely inconsequential?

Posted Image

Isn't it a screw jack for lifting the corner of the car to change the tyre?

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:02

Steve could be right - there's currently one on each side of the car, as these recent photos of the car at the NMM show:

http://www.flickr.co...157625576698417

http://www.flickr.co...N05/5384757834/

but I haven't found any period shots of the car where they appear.

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:10

No sign of anything in this period cutaway:
Posted Image

#5 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:15

It is indeed a jacking pillar. They were taken out before a run (one set at each end of the course) and when the car came to a halt these were dropped in from the top and were set that the tips would just touch the ground as the threads of the pillars met the threads in the chassis holes. They should have holes through the top of each pillar, and a bar was put through these, and tha car lifted on the threads by turning the pillar with a bar through the holes, literally just enough to get the wheels off and a new set on. I suspect they are in place in the museum to take the load off some very old tyres!

Here's the 1933 Blue Bird with the front ones in place (picture courtesy of Gina Campbell)

Posted Image

Edited by f1steveuk, 14 March 2012 - 12:29.

#6 tbolt

tbolt

• 155 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:54

Golden Arrow front jacks.
Posted Image

#7 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 23:13

Interesting, I never thought about how they'd tackle the problem of changing the wheels on the salt or on the beach.

I also see that the last photo shows KLG advertising on the car - it isn't there now.

Edited by D-Type, 14 March 2012 - 23:17.

#8 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:21

They must have been a good idea...

Posted Image

#9 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:05

They must have been a good idea...

Posted Image

That's a lovely picture! I know Smith later fitted a rad' to the Enterprise, but how was he going to cool that version's Napier??

#10 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,535 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 23:16

Wasn't it intended for a total loss evaporative ice system?

Good intentions soon dashed...

DCN

#11 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,778 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:35

I read something about "chemical cooling" and it was going to be fitted into panniers like those on the Golden Arrow. Don Harkness came up with the chemical cooling plan and I think it may have been something like ammonia being condensed and evaporated to cool the motor. It was being kept secret and not fitted to the car on its journey to NZ. Apparently this was a bit of a sticking point between Don Harkness and Norman Smith. Harkness had to suddenly return to Australia just when he had arrived in NZ. Smith got a radiator made in NZ (by a butcher by the look of it!)
Smith claimed that the engine had to be cooled with water under the terms of the loan.

I have recently been looking into the car called the Australian Six and that has let me into looking at the Don Hartnett story. I have found some great photos by a photographer called Milton Kent which will be my next subject!