Photo

Silverstone Classic 2012

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 maplestone71

maplestone71

• 63 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:23

Just to let everyone know that the "Early Bird" ticket rates run to the end of this month. These give a ~20% discount against the on-the-day prices. There are also Advance rates from the start of April though the discounts aren't as big.

Also, if you're an AA member you can get a further 10% of your ticket price to the end of this month.

Mine booked this evening

:cool:

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:53

Not long to go now. I shall be there all weekend. Who else is going, and would a TNF meeting or two, at Ted's stand (if he's willing) find favour?

#3 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:47

I should be there- sadly not on the Lotus Seven Club stand with my own Seven - my usual habitat- as back problems mean I will be in Yeti tin top. If you see an old git mumbling to himself and walking with a stick that's me.

#4 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:56

Yes no problem with meeting at my tent. Stand AJ1 in Autojumble area there from Thurdsday morning.

#5 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:10

Look out for Bev Bond with his polo shirts and stickers supporting his charity....

(Artwork kindly donated by TNFer Alan Raine) :up:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-07-11

Edited by Giraffe, 11 July 2012 - 08:11.

#6 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:43

Good news regarding transportation between the two paddocks: there'll be double the number of Routemaster buses this year.

#7 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:59

Three of Frank Sytner's stable to be auctioned.
http://www.classican...ing-up-for-sale
http://www.silversto...fault/order/asc

#8 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:58

Has an entry list been published yet?

#9 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:03

Some of the entry lists are here...

http://www.hscc.org.uk/calendar.html

44 cars for the Peter Gethin Memorial Trophy race.

#10 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 21:26

Has an entry list been published yet?

http://www.hscc.org......e Classic.pdf

#11 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:47

Fantastic entry.Good old HSCC

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:21

Looking at Saturdays Schedule there seems to be a two hour gap between the start of the pre 61 sports cars and GP Masters, I'd like to suggest meeting at Ted's around 12:30 rather than the traditional 1pm so that we are not so pressed for time to make our way to a good spot to watch the GP Masters which starts at 13:20.

#13 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:20

44 cars for the Peter Gethin Memorial Trophy race.

I've just heard from Nick Gethin & he will be present to see the race in memory of his late father. :up:

#14 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:03

I intend to be present (and in media photographer mode) if this blasted virus clears up in time. I can post my tabard number when I've collected it on Saturday morning. I'd really value the opportunity to meet some of you in the flesh rather than only via cyberspace.

#15 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 17:08

Looking at Saturdays Schedule there seems to be a two hour gap between the start of the pre 61 sports cars and GP Masters, I'd like to suggest meeting at Ted's around 12:30 rather than the traditional 1pm so that we are not so pressed for time to make our way to a good spot to watch the GP Masters which starts at 13:20.

I'll go with this. If Suzy and anyone else fancies joining us, we'd love to see them. :wave:

#16 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 18:20

I am there all weekend guys, camping with electric hook up in the Woodlands site :smoking: . Hope to bump into a few of the regular contributors so looks like Ted`s Tent will be the spot at 1230 on Saturday :stoned: . Pink Snail will adorn a few of the cars yet again :up: . Latest update is that as a family we`ve now raised over £33.5k for the Jennifer Trust since November `06 :clap: and my awareness campaign started with the GP Live event at Donington in `07.
This is my first ever trip to Silverstone :eek: and am looking forward to it....the right cars and people are taking over this weekend :love: !!! Shame I missed Brands but have been saving for this one (bringing 4 `converts` with me aswell!!!)....converts Girraffe :wave: ...not convicts :lol:
See y`all Saturday - I`ll be there Friday putting stickers on cars of the drivers who help my cause so am in the pit area in the afternoon on Friday ;) .

#17 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:15

I wasn't going to come as I have a 9.30 meeting in London. However I think that I should be able to make it after that. Will probably arrive at about midday, unless thr traffic jams were the same as last year, in which case I'll be there for 4.00pm

#18 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:04

I am there all weekend guys, camping with electric hook up in the Woodlands site :smoking: . (bringing 4 `converts` with me aswell!!!)....converts Girraffe :wave: ...not convicts :lol:

A message from Silverstone Woodlands.....

To everyone camping with us at the Silverstone Classic:

We're really sorry we haven't yet responded to your emails; we have been extremely busy preparing the campsite for this weekend after the damage caused at the F1.

We will now be available to answer any questions or concerns you may have on info@silverstonewoodlands.co.uk

Here is an update on the ground conditions on-site:

- The ground is still very wet underfoot following persistent rain since the F1.

- Please bring with you wellies or wet weather footwear.

- The grass is damaged in many locations site wide, but on the whole is in good condition.

- If we experience more rain before or during the event it is possible that your vehicle will need to be towed. We will be on-hand to facilitate this but please be prepared.

- You will be able to park your car next to your pitch.

- The site will be operating as normal but please be prepared for mud and wet ground conditions.

- The Petrol Head Pub will be open as usual.

We apologise once again for not getting back to you sooner and are looking forward to seeing you all this weekend.

All the pitches with hook-up are taken, and that together with the conditions I witnessed at the GP (& it's hardly stopped raining since!) mean that I'm chickening out & doing this one from home. Expect to be there all 3 days. :wave:

PS: The Silverstone website is now indicating the Woodlands camping is sold out!?!? Maybe they are restricting the site?

Edited by Giraffe, 18 July 2012 - 09:28.

#19 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,802 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:40

PS: The Silverstone website is now indicating the Woodlands camping is sold out!?!? Maybe they are restricting the site?

Tony,

I was told by a friend who camped at Woodlands for the Grand Prix weekend that Silverstone turned the bottom part of the site into a parking area, with only two of the three shower blocks/loos operational (i.e. the one in what became the parking area wasn't). From his pics, it all looked a bit Somme-like, though they had a good time despite that (beer supplies held out anyway). But maybe that third shower block is still non-operational, accounting for the restricted numbers?

Hope to bump into you and/or other TNFers on Sunday, which seems to be my day there (unless the programme changes).

Advertisement

#20 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:45

Lat year, Woodlands was I would guess only 20% full for the Classic, and essentially only one of the three blocks was used. However, one night's rain (IIRC Friday) was still sitting there on the Monday as I decamped..........

Edited by Giraffe, 18 July 2012 - 11:45.

#21 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 521 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 16:46

My pitch has been booked for donkeys yonks so I must be one of the numbers already accounted for :up: . I am kind of hoping that the last couple of dry days and a reasonable forecast means that things aren`t going to be so bad :| . Thanks for the update Tony, looking forward to meeting up again :cool: .
Will be leaving Halifax at 0630 Friday and having a truckstop brekky at M1 J22 before the final assault on Northamptoncestershire. Am trucking in Leicester & Burton Thursday so might even start talking funny aswell by Sunday :rolleyes: !!!

#22 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 17:43

I stopped camping a long time ago, I take my hat off to all those brave souls who bear mallets and tent pegs :drunk:

#23 brakedisc

brakedisc

• 225 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 18:50

I take my hat off to all those that can be bothered going to Silverstone. I cannot believe how bad the place has become and it is nothing to do with the poor weather. Things have been going downhill for years after the men sporting blazers made bad decision after bad decision. Despite spending millions on change after change the place is a dump. The track lay out is rubbish with the best corner ( Bridge) gone. The circuit is bumpy, with a poor surface and prone to standing water due to lack of drainage. The marshals posts are terrible with no shelter from rain or sun and the lack of toilets for the boys in orange is shocking. As for the rest of the facilities for fans or competitors forget it, there are none to a decent standard.

#24 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 20:55

I think I will be going on the Sunday as hopefully the weather will be best that day.

Geoff

#25 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 22:18

I think I will be going on the Sunday as hopefully the weather will be best that day.

Geoff

But no evening Group C race ):

#26 john aston

john aston

• 2,695 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:51

I take my hat off to all those that can be bothered going to Silverstone. I cannot believe how bad the place has become and it is nothing to do with the poor weather. Things have been going downhill for years after the men sporting blazers made bad decision after bad decision. Despite spending millions on change after change the place is a dump. The track lay out is rubbish with the best corner ( Bridge) gone. The circuit is bumpy, with a poor surface and prone to standing water due to lack of drainage. The marshals posts are terrible with no shelter from rain or sun and the lack of toilets for the boys in orange is shocking. As for the rest of the facilities for fans or competitors forget it, there are none to a decent standard.

I think you are being a tad unfair;Sliverstone has always been a bloody awful place to watch racing cars compared to other circuits but track changes apart the facilities are hugely better than when I first visited - God- in 1971. And the Classic is not even really about track action- nowhere else have I watched mid race driver changes from pit lane and nowhere have I seen such a cornucopia of fabulous machinery- in surroundings where there is complete freedom of access. Track apart it knocks the sainted Goodwood into touch from my perspective. The new pits are not pretty but entirely fit for purpose- it's not Dubai or Sepang but that is a good thing in my book...

#27 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:01

I agree with you about the loss of Bridge - a wonderful corner and made the approach to the Luffields so much more interesting.

But I think you are wrong about the track ... I was racing my Alfa GTA on the full GP circuit at HSCC on 20th May - the track surface is like a billiard table and nearly all race tracks have problems with standing water during heavy rain, Silverstone no more or less than the others. The track surface is not at all bumpy and no doubt if it was the F1 chappies would set up a huge complaint. The facilities for competitors are fine, and I can't see what there is to complain about.

Nick S.

"I take my hat off to all those that can be bothered going to Silverstone. I cannot believe how bad the place has become and it is nothing to do with the poor weather. Things have been going downhill for years after the men sporting blazers made bad decision after bad decision. Despite spending millions on change after change the place is a dump. The track lay out is rubbish with the best corner ( Bridge) gone. The circuit is bumpy, with a poor surface and prone to standing water due to lack of drainage. The marshals posts are terrible with no shelter from rain or sun and the lack of toilets for the boys in orange is shocking. As for the rest of the facilities for fans or competitors forget it, there are none to a decent s..."

#28 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:04

It's not that bad.

The car entrants are screwed around with this two pit thing and lack of transport inside circuit.

Festival is now poor ma's imitation of Goodwood with the car entrants (unlike Goodwood)still being charged lots of dosh to run their cars and then being dictated by lots of jobsworths and nonsense.

The two major Historic Meetings worldwide are Goodwood and Le Mans Classic.

#29 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:13

I think you are being a tad unfair;Sliverstone has always been a bloody awful place to watch racing cars compared to other circuits but track changes apart the facilities are hugely better than when I first visited - God- in 1971. And the Classic is not even really about track action- nowhere else have I watched mid race driver changes from pit lane and nowhere have I seen such a cornucopia of fabulous machinery- in surroundings where there is complete freedom of access. Track apart it knocks the sainted Goodwood into touch from my perspective. The new pits are not pretty but entirely fit for purpose- it's not Dubai or Sepang but that is a good thing in my book...

I agree entirely with John. Silverstone offers the spectator fairly limited race viewing, but I came to appreciate why the drivers like it so much when Simon Hadfield took me around the GP circuit at pace in Leo Voyazides' Cobra last year, an entirely different perspective!
Whilst Silverstone does not quite hold the special place in my heart that Aintree or Oulton always will, the centre of British motor sport has been very kind to me over the years and I'm most grateful for that. The Classic is a fabulous event and I do marginally prefer it to Goodwood for it's less pressurised atmosphere. :up:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-07-19

Edited by Giraffe, 19 July 2012 - 08:20.

#30 DN5

DN5

• 464 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 19:48

But no evening Group C race ):

True but I did see them last year in the evening and it was fantastic. I have now another commitment Saturday evening so that makes the choice for all day Sunday easier.

Geoff

#31 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 20:00

Don't say it too loud, but it looks like the weather will be taking a turn for the better this weekend...

#32 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 21:41

Don't say it too loud, but it looks like the weather will be taking a turn for the better this weekend...

Sou'westers AND wading boots it is then  ;)

Edited by arttidesco, 20 July 2012 - 10:42.

#33 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05

Silverstone Woodlands weather report 9am Friday: very heavy rain the night before last meant that we set up camp yesterday in a very boggy Woodlands campsite. However, it didn't rain much yesterday and the ground is starting to dry out nicely. At the mo it's dull, with occasional sunny breakthrough, and currently no black clouds in sight. Yesterday's test day was brilliant; looking forward to the rest of the weekend.

#34 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 19:32

Roberto Moreno's co-driver meets his team principal's missus today...... Mr.Johnson & Mrs.Hadfield

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-07-20

A suitably chastised Martin refuels Autosport magazine's Ben Anderson's mount today, the Chevron B37 as Simon Hadfield & Ben watch on. 40 litres for 20 minutes evidently was not quite enough with hotshoe Ben behind the wheel...... :eek:

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-07-20

Edited by Giraffe, 20 July 2012 - 19:33.

#35 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:14

Are qualifying results available anywhere online?

MST website has placeholders for only the races?

#36 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 20:42

Answering my own question... Full results: http://www.mstworld....12/12207hsc.pdf

#37 BRM MICK2

BRM MICK2

• 87 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 18:39

I would appreciatte any pictures of the BRM P180

many thanks

Mick

#38 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 18:58

A good day, I left London just after 9.30 this morning and drove straight in without so much as a moments hold up. I've been a very fierce critic of the traffic jams in the past but today I just swept straight in. I had to get back to fairly early for another engagement but I still managed to get sunburned (there and back with the roof down on the Frogeye).

#39 Suzy

Suzy

• 1,099 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 19:12

Nice to meet some of you at lunchtime. Sorry I didn't get to do much chatting; another issue required my attention. Also I am so sorry (and deeply embarrassed) about my wardrobe malfunction which, I think, was caused by my scrabbling around on the floor.

Advertisement

#40 Nick Savage

Nick Savage

• 157 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 19:56

Are there any TNF observations on the Under Two-Litre Touring Car race (U2TC) today at Silverstone ? I was at Pre-War Prescott today and could not get to Silverstone.

There seemed to be quite a few retirements.

Will be spectating at the TT race tomorrow supporting James Wiseman in his Alfa Sprint Zagato.
Nick

#41 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 22:40

Are there any TNF observations on the Under Two-Litre Touring Car race (U2TC) today at Silverstone ? I was at Pre-War Prescott today and could not get to Silverstone.

There seemed to be quite a few retirements.

Will be spectating at the TT race tomorrow supporting James Wiseman in his Alfa Sprint Zagato.
Nick

There was a lengthy safety car period after a bad accident, which I did not see.
I can't remember who won - possibly Somebody MacInerny? They were driving a Lotus Cortina iirc, as was half the grid. It was a good race to watch from where I was.

#42 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 23:25

I was on the outside of Magotts when I saw a BMW roll in the new complex after the new pits straight I'm afraid I do not know who was driving it, or what became of the driver.

Edited by arttidesco, 21 July 2012 - 23:25.

#43 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:25

There was a lengthy safety car period after a bad accident, which I did not see.
I can't remember who won - possibly Somebody MacInerny? They were driving a Lotus Cortina iirc, as was half the grid. It was a good race to watch from where I was.

That would be Sean McInerney.

#44 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:45

Started 38th and finished first. Epic drive.

#45 jcdeleted

jcdeleted

• 40 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:59

Would he be any relation of the famous formula 3 triplets, Brendan, Mac an' Ernie?

#46 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 851 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 13:51

Would he be any relation of the famous formula 3 triplets, Brendan, Mac an' Ernie?

That was one of the highlights of early '70s F3 commentaries. :) We were always amazed how all three fitted into the car! Was it a Brabham BT35 that he drove in 1971?

Edited by Pullman99, 23 July 2012 - 20:28.

#47 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 888 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 15:49

He figured in a few other races as well - had not encountered him before.

#48 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 19:30

Looking at Saturday's U-2litre results I can make no sense of who rolled a BMW on Saturday, Andrew Beaumont is the only listed BMW DNF but he is credited with 17 laps of the 18 lap race, the BMW I saw roll was before the pit stops had started. Does anyone know who the driver was and or what became of him ?

#49 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 455 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:08

Looking at Saturday's U-2litre results I can make no sense of who rolled a BMW on Saturday, Andrew Beaumont is the only listed BMW DNF but he is credited with 17 laps of the 18 lap race, the BMW I saw roll was before the pit stops had started. Does anyone know who the driver was and or what became of him ?

It was a cortina I think

#50 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 20:33

I thought the quality of racing on display was fantastic this year. Very difficult to pick a favourite, but both F2/F5000 races enthralled and today's Grand Prix Masters was great to watch as Bill Coombs and Steve Hartley went wheel-to-wheel, with Michael Lyons gaining on them with every passing lap.