Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#1 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:08

Way to go Jenson!!! :up: So far so good.

Edited by TheBunk, 16 March 2012 - 11:29.

Advertisement

#2 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 6,802 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:11

Jenson seems very positive about the car today. :up: It seems that the car is built around him -- looks good on track.

#3 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:22

Half a day before qualifying at Melbourne park, the first race of 2012 maybe we can start a new Jenson vs Lewis scorecard thread.

Lets try and keep it civil and on topic as much as possible. They are both great drivers.

Sofar the first practise sessions suggest there is very little between them.

Predictions for qualifying?

Edited by TheBunk, 16 March 2012 - 11:23.

#4 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:27

Career vs E/O

JB 484 pts-LH 467

JB 5 wins-LH 6 wins

JB 19 podiums-LH 15 podiums

JB 0 poles-LH 2 poles

I see Bunk beat me to it..............

Edited by fieraku, 16 March 2012 - 11:30.

#5 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 673 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:18

Lets try and keep it civil and on topic as much as possible.

You KNOW that's going to last until the first time Jenson beats Lewis.

Anyways - out of the box Jenson looked quick today, which is promising. I get the feeling he has the edge on Lewis right now - but we'll know tomorrow!

#6 PistonHead

PistonHead

• 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:25

Genuinely too close to call for me - JB always likes it around here, and we know how a strong, well-balanced car brings out the best in his driving style. Think it'll be a tenth or two in it at the most.

#7 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 6,090 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:31

Button seems to be in a zone right now and seems very confident in the team and himself. I really thought he showed some extra aggression in his driving last year. I was impressed in how he came out in FP1 and just stuck in a flier so quickly.

The above comments are about Button and not intended to infer anything about the other guy.

#8 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:33

Career vs E/O

JB 484 pts-LH 467

JB 5 wins-LH 6 wins

JB 19 podiums-LH 15 podiums

JB 0 poles-LH 2 poles

I see Bunk beat me to it..............

Wow..This one came as a surprise to me.

#9 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:38

Lewis was onto beating Jensons time after sector 2 but had to pull out because of Nico. I don't see much in it really, practice means nothings but looking at the heavy fuel loads Jenson went softs and Lewis medium to get data from both tyres, Jenson was 3tenths up every lap.

#10 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:46

I'm only going to enter this thread for the 1st race, then every 5th race to give my opinions. 1. because I have a life and 2. because it is going to be a madhouse inhabited by the crackers, AKA the serial wind-up merchants and troll kings. My sanity simply wont survive another year intact in the "Twilight zone" known as the Jenson vs Lewis scorecard, if the previous 2 years is a reference. They both look on it to be honest and Australia is one of Buttons better circuits. I'll still expect Hamilton to take qualifying, as for the race, I'll have to see how the tyres stand up for all the teams before making a judgement.

#11 bub

bub

• 2,722 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:50

I'll go with the obvious choice. Hamilton to out-qualify Button.

#12 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 14:05

Hamilton was nearly as fast as Button while on the harder compound in FP2. Both look happy and in form. At this point I don't really mind who does better as long as they both beat Vettel.

#13 robefc

robefc

• 13,534 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 14:07

I'm only going to enter this thread for the 1st race, then every 5th race to give my opinions. 1. because I have a life

Careful what you're implying for the rest of us ;)

Whenever LH beats jenson in FP I instinctively get up and whenever it's the other way round I insticively think 'it's just practice'!

I do think the latter is the more sensible opinion in either case though and what we really want to see is macca's at the front so happy so far, can't wait for tomorrow.

#14 Lights

Lights

• 17,875 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 14:09

Whenever LH beats jenson in FP I instinctively get up and whenever it's the other way round I insticively think 'it's just practice'!

I do think the latter is the more sensible opinion in either case though and what we really want to see is macca's at the front so happy so far, can't wait for tomorrow.

Ehm no, it's the other way around! :lol: (for me)

#15 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:18

Jenson seems very positive about the car today. :up: It seems that the car is built around him -- looks good on track.

The car looks great; certainly built with him in mind; but whether it was built around him or not, we'll know in a few days. . . . lol

#16 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 19:53

Hey TheBunk, thanks for starting this up!

Two great guys, two great competitors, seemingly a truly great car (so far), so should be a lot of fun.

But if this thread is just for scorekeeping purposes, where do we go to actually discuss the "non-scorekepping" aspects of the rivalry (and surely there are and will continue to be some)?

#17 itsademo

itsademo

• 571 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:04

You KNOW that's going to last until the first time Jenson beats Lewis.

Anyways - out of the box Jenson looked quick today, which is promising. I get the feeling he has the edge on Lewis right now - but we'll know tomorrow!

guess it did not even last to even FP3.
let alone the first time one beat the other to pole while both drivers ensure between them they gain a clean sweep
such a shame someone who seams to support a driver who seams very level headed cannot atleast try to emulate that part of their favourite driver.

#18 cooper

cooper

• 391 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:04

So long as McLaren are on top I am good either way.. Two very different drives with different skill sets.. Jenson has a very cool head, conserves his tyres and comes into his element usually at the end of the race which is a strategic approach. Lewis on the other hand is more aggressive, risky but is a very very fast driver.. Together I think they form a strong McLaren team and it is going exceptionally tough to call who will be on top!

#19 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:09

More than the car its him who has got this special ability to diligently work on the car to get the car to his liking. It is the solid preseason that he has had this which has made a ton of difference.

Advertisement

#20 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:25

Free practice times count for nothing.. The real deal is tomorrow and the day after. When button is happy with the car he rarely does mistakes and i hope he can start the season with a pole and a race win. would be nice to see Lewis on the podium too..

Edited by xtremespeedjunkie, 16 March 2012 - 20:25.

#21 miniq

miniq

• 304 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:26

Interesting to see how Jenson & Lewis deal with the tyres again this year.

#22 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:41

Interesting to see how Jenson & Lewis deal with the tyres again this year.

we all know button has always been regarded as one of the best if not the best when it comes to getting the maximum life out of tires. It is up to Lewis to get close to Button if not match him in this regard if he has any hopes of beating Button again. It will be difficult but not impossible.

#23 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 20:58

How long is it now, wasn´t back in 2001 Jenson started with Benetton, a lot of water has floated under the bridge since then. The experience Jenson got is immense, the setup work, reading the weather condition and so on. For me theres no doubt, Jenson will be on top this year to.

#24 xtremespeedjunkie

xtremespeedjunkie

• 293 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:09

How long is it now, wasn´t back in 2001 Jenson started with Benetton, a lot of water has floated under the bridge since then. The experience Jenson got is immense, the setup work, reading the weather condition and so on. For me theres no doubt, Jenson will be on top this year to.

+1

He looks like a guy with the bit between his teeth. looks really calm, comfortable and focused on the job in hand.

#25 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 673 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:19

guess it did not even last to even FP3.
let alone the first time one beat the other to pole while both drivers ensure between them they gain a clean sweep
such a shame someone who seams to support a driver who seams very level headed cannot atleast try to emulate that part of their favourite driver.

WTF? I'd love to know what wasn't level headed in what I said!

#26 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:39

Lewis will most likely trounce Jenson in qualy again, if he can stay focused like he did in 2007-10 then there is no reason why he won't beat Jenson this year. Lewis drove like a tool last year, if he cuts out the nonsense I can only see a Lewis victory.

#27 Octavian

Octavian

• 703 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:45

Lewis has more raw talent than Button (and I suspect the rest of the entire grid) but he'll only beat Button if he learns to grow up and put distractions aside. Has he done that over a winter? Possible. It's too close to call right now.

#28 MrPodium

MrPodium

• 693 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:50

Lewis has more raw talent than Button (and I suspect the rest of the entire grid) but he'll only beat Button if he learns to grow up and put distractions aside. Has he done that over a winter? Possible. It's too close to call right now.

Who knows, really ? But people do grow up, they evolve, it's part and parcel of human nature. To suggest Hamilton (or anyone for that matter) will stay in the same mindset ad infinitum is a flawed argument.

If Button performs to 100% or his capacity, and Hamilton does the same then I would back Hamilton every time. However, they're both human, and can't be expected to deliver 100% day in, day out. Everyone makes mistakes !

It's who makes the least that counts.

#29 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 21:59

Hey TheBunk, thanks for starting this up!

Two great guys, two great competitors, seemingly a truly great car (so far), so should be a lot of fun.

But if this thread is just for scorekeeping purposes, where do we go to actually discuss the "non-scorekepping" aspects of the rivalry (and surely there are and will continue to be some)?

A lot of that goes by the way people interpret how a race weekend unfolds, I guess. That should provide plenty to discus. I dont think itll reach a concensus, but I hope at least some respect for different opinions.

#30 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,192 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 22:52

Hamilton was nearly as fast as Button while on the harder compound in FP2. Both look happy and in form. At this point I don't really mind who does better as long as they both beat Vettel.

Agree with the bold part.

If they are both ahead of vettel in qually Ill be chuffed.

We can get into the banter come the European season when there both 50 points ahead of everyone else :cool:

#31 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 23:09

Jensons racecraft is very good, he is very fast but also calm.

Lewis, fast some times, erratic most times.

#32 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 23:52

Jensons racecraft is very good, he is very fast but also calm.

Lewis, fast some times, erratic most times.

Correction. Lewis is blisteringly fast, and we all know it.

My prediction -- Lewis will contol the race from the front; Jenson to fend off Vettel and Webber for second; the Mercedes boys fast early, but fading late; and the Ferrari boys struggling, and waiting for better things to come.

However it goes though, there won't be any losers among us at the first race, that's for sure.

#33 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 23:57

Just watched 1st practice and I have to say the McLaren looked better in the hands on Jenson than it did Lewis.

#34 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:06

Just watched 1st practice and I have to say the McLaren looked better in the hands on Jenson than it did Lewis.

Maybe. But to quote Allen Iverson: "P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E ?!?!?"

Surely you jest? :smoking:

#35 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:17

Maybe. But to quote Allen Iverson: "P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E ?!?!?"

Surely you jest? :smoking:

Just had to google "allen iverson practice". Class! :lol:

Um, no I'm not jesting! Yes it's practice, but I think you can still read something into the way two drivers drive the same car. Maybe it's setup related. However I fully expect (not to mention hope, by the way) Lewis will out qualify Jenson.

#36 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:19

More than the car its him who has got this special ability to diligently work on the car to get the car to his liking. It is the solid preseason that he has had this which has made a ton of difference.

No disagreements there. Certainly with his experience, and due to the requirements of his driving style, he's done a lot to make that car what it is -- hopefully a winner today!

#37 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 00:59

Just had to google "allen iverson practice". Class! :lol:

Um, no I'm not jesting! Yes it's practice, but I think you can still read something into the way two drivers drive the same car. Maybe it's setup related. However I fully expect (not to mention hope, by the way) Lewis will out qualify Jenson.

:D Are you one of those lucky guys at the track?

Qualy will be interesting, but the tires are the wildcard, a known to the teams -- an unknown to most of us. JB could make a late charge, at least that's the most likely scenario I see, rather than for him to outduel Lewis.

Edit: Computer acting up, some partial posts getting through, then disappearing, only to show up later. Sorry for the incoherence earlier. He-He

Edited by theTruth, 17 March 2012 - 01:45.

#38 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:12

:D Are you one of those lucky guys at the track?

Qualy will be interesting, but the tires are the wildcard, a known to the teams -- an unknown to most of us. JB could make a late charge, at least that's the most likely scenario I see, rather than for him to outduel Lewis.

Edit: Ccomputer acting up, some partial posts getting through, then disappearing, only to show up later. Sorry for the incoherence earlier. He-He

Ha, I wish!

To be honest neither outcome would be in the least bit surprising. I just hope RB don't do their party trick of pulling half a second out of their arses in Q3 again. The gits!

#39 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:21

Prediction for quali they'll be seperated by a tenth.

But in the end who knows.

Advertisement

#40 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:28

Yeah I'll go with that.

Nice sig by the way :)

#41 BillBald

BillBald

• 5,819 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:29

No disagreements there. Certainly with his experience, and due to the requirements of his driving style, he's done a lot to make that car what it is -- hopefully a winner today!

I am more and more convinced that this will be Jenson's year.

It had better be - I've got money on it - winnings already spent!

#42 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:37

Yeah I'll go with that.

Nice sig by the way :)

:up:

#43 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:42

I'll be happier if Hamilton regains the upperhand, but it won't mean much if in the end the MP4-27 isn't a car that allows both to fight for wins and strong results each time out.
I think Hamilton will do better because the field seems more even than in 2011 so Lewis' qualifying could make a greater difference in his favour.

#44 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:49

I am more and more convinced that this will be Jenson's year.

It had better be - I've got money on it - winnings already spent!

:lol:  ;)

#45 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,462 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:40

I'll be happier if Hamilton regains the upperhand, but it won't mean much if in the end the MP4-27 isn't a car that allows both to fight for wins and strong results each time out.
I think Hamilton will do better because the field seems more even than in 2011 so Lewis' qualifying could make a greater difference in his favour.

i agree that if the field is more competative then Lewis with the better qualifying pace would undoubtedly benefit from this at the expense of Jenson. Of course Jenson is perfectly capable of putting in very fast laps, and beating Lewis but if he has a weakness its this, and his starts.

#46 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:12

Brilliant!!!
Button sounds happy enough to finish just behind LH.
What a car!
Roll on tomorrow. :D

#47 advan031

advan031

• 222 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:15

Amazing job by both drivers!!! Great lap by Hamilton and I'll be okay with Button being .1xx slower in qualifying...lol

#48 MP422

MP422

• 2,157 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:16

Monster lap by Hamilton !!

#49 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:28

A truly monster lap by Hamilton. :up: It's no secret Hamilton is faster than Button, but the points are given out on Sunday. These tyres and managing degradation plays into Button's strength and masks his lack of speed. One thing is sure, it;s going to be close. If they were using Bridgestones, I would have already written Buttons obituary. Qualifying;1-0 to Hammy.

#50 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:22

Spot on :lol:
The race between the two will be interesting.
If jenson wants to beat lewis he has to get him at the start.