Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#651 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,830 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:10

Convincing win by JB. He's gone from a bit of a big time Charlie into a genuinely world class driver. Defo deserves his place at the top table :up:

Lewis was pretty damn unlucky - but luck hinges on things such as getting to turn 1 first. Then the cause and effect starts to extrapolate.

I think it's gonna be a good year for British motorsport :smoking:

Advertisement

#652 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:19

Would he problem have still be style related if he had got ahead of Jenson into turn 1 yesterday?

The times would also suggest that for the first round of pit stops both Lewis and Jenson's tires went off at the same time, except Lewis had spent a few laps in the dirty air of Jenson whilst Jenson had clean air. Also as you can see Lewis had to spend an extra lap on those tyres losing time.

Jenson
13 1:33.970
14 1:34.164
15 1:34.645
P
Lewis
13 1:33.881
14 1:34.255
15 1:34.730
16 1:36.403

After that Lewis spent 3 laps on the gearbox of Perez which undoubtedly affected his tyres, yet he still managed to last until lap 33 before his tyres began to go off.

Of course in the final stint Button had the luxuary of clean air, while Lewis was stuck in the dirty air of Seb, and was then defending from Webber. All in all there is no real basis for the conclusion you came to. Yes Jenson was a little smoother on his tires but there was no big difference between the two, which meant that if Lewis had got in front and pulled a gap, he probably would have won the GP. Especially if both cars were 'fuel saving'.

Jenson wins and he praised his RE/crew big shocker :eek:, I'm sure if Lewis had won, he would have done the same, in fact he always does. 'Thank you guys, the car was a dream to drive' ect. You can't use that as evidence for an extremely flawed premise. Particularly because if there was anything lacking in their relationship, I'm sure he would have been replaced by now.

TBH I was hoping he wasn't to save even more embarrassement.JB looked on all week similar to Japan and I was hoping(guilty) he'd stay P4-P5,once he got that P2 my feeling was ''oh crap''.
I've been vocal about these tires and most of us Pirelli-antis said it'd be this way,not surprised one bit.

As per race JB pulled a easy 3sec gap and was on cruise control there after,his disappearing act after SC restart shows his pace on these tires,compared to LH who looked static throughout.

RE wise JB's side feels like a fraternity whilst on LH's doesn't,personal opinion mate.

Irony was that as I was praising JB's RE you just posted that.

#653 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,510 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:22

I love the irony of Fireaku's post in your signature.

Knights Templar gone rogue?

I'll have to change it now. :(

#654 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:24

Fair enough. Seem extreme because it's been 1 race. How different are this years tyres to last year?

DC stated they only have 2.5 mm of rubber then they degrade faster as per Hembrey,so very.

#655 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:26

I'll have to change it now. :(

I still love my boy trogggy :wave: but my signature stands for something and so does yours,still ;)

#656 pup

pup

• 447 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:33

About Hamilton and tires in general, I won't dive into that argument too much other than to say that sometimes it seems like an issue for him and other times it doesn't. As for this race in particular, though, I posted this in the 27 thread earlier...

Posted Image

Looking at the gaps, I think it's really hard to say that Hamilton's tires were going off any faster than Jenson's. I mean, maybe in the second stint a bit? But I don't really see it. What I think people are reacting to is the fact that Lewis was a lot quicker to complain about the tires, and he sounded a bit panicky when he did. Maybe that's understandable, since he had a Red Bull on his tail and Jenson didn't.

#657 robefc

robefc

• 8,091 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:38

I wouldnt be that sure so early ...
Even though Jense was in a class of his own yesterday , Aus is no doubt his favorite track.

The Joker is RBR who can be either Kingmakers OR better (for me) challenge for the title themselves.
Right now RB8 is short on pace but perhaps not by 7 tenths as appeared from Quali.

If RB develop real fast then they can catch them by Europe and then it will be a title match.
If RB dont develop fast enough but keep close , then they will have a say in on which of the Macca drivers becomes WDC and Macca have to respond by chosing their #1 early.If RB fade away then - Macca can simply let both fight.

Option 2 can be a problem for Lewis otherwise expect him to challenge for the title.
Atleat the season will be interesting..

Why? They didn't in 2007 or 2010

Edited by robefc, 19 March 2012 - 15:39.

#658 robefc

robefc

• 8,091 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:39

About Hamilton and tires in general, I won't dive into that argument too much other than to say that sometimes it seems like an issue for him and other times it doesn't. As for this race in particular, though, I posted this in the 27 thread earlier...

Posted Image

Looking at the gaps, I think it's really hard to say that Hamilton's tires were going off any faster than Jenson's. I mean, maybe in the second stint a bit? But I don't really see it. What I think people are reacting to is the fact that Lewis was a lot quicker to complain about the tires, and he sounded a bit panicky when he did. Maybe that's understandable, since he had a Red Bull on his tail and Jenson didn't.

There tyres went off at about the same rate in the first stint...but one of them went 3.5 seconds quicker in that time...

#659 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,312 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:44

Would he problem have still be style related if he had got ahead of Jenson into turn 1 yesterday?

The times would also suggest that for the first round of pit stops both Lewis and Jenson's tires went off at the same time, except Lewis had spent a few laps in the dirty air of Jenson whilst Jenson had clean air. Also as you can see Lewis had to spend an extra lap on those tyres losing time.

What "dirty air"? At the end of the first lap Jenson had a lead of 1.36 seconds, on the end of the second it was up to 2.24.

Im no formula1 racing driver (damn what a give-away!1) , but a gap of 2s from my viewers perspective is way big enough not to affect the car behind.

Vettel was smelling Mercedes exhaust fumes for a good part of the stint, and if the "dirty air theory" holds then Vettel should have had severly degrading tyres at the end, but did not (perhaps they have a secret particle filter?)1.

http://en.mclarenf-1...amp;hid=1_3_4_7

As far as I can see the degradation was purely the price of investing that 10/13 second lead over the others.

(1) Humour (just not to confuse readers) Posted Image

Advertisement

#660 pup

pup

• 447 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:50

There tyres went off at about the same rate in the first stint...but one of them went 3.5 seconds quicker in that time...

Sure, Jenson was a bit faster than Hamilton from the get go. But then you see that after lap 11 the gap levels off. So either Jenson let up, or Hamilton found his groove, or you might even argue that Jenson's tires went off sooner than Hamilton's.

#661 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:52

What "dirty air"? At the end of the first lap Jenson had a lead of 1.36 seconds, on the end of the second it was up to 2.24.

Im no formula1 racing driver (damn what a give-away!1) , but a gap of 2s from my viewers perspective is way big enough not to affect the car behind.

Vettel was smelling Mercedes exhaust fumes for a good part of the stint, and if the "dirty air theory" holds then Vettel should have had severly degrading tyres at the end, but did not (perhaps they have a secret particle filter?)1.

http://en.mclarenf-1...amp;hid=1_3_4_7

As far as I can see the degradation was purely the price of investing that 10/13 second lead over the others.

(1) Humour (just not to confuse readers) Posted Image

Actually during the Korea qualifying of 2011, Andy Latham race engineer of Lewis Hamilton, told him he would need a gap of at least 5 seconds to completely avoid the effects of dirty air. If that's the minimum difference to avoid the effects its likely that being within 2.5 seconds means there was still an effect of some kind.

Also Vettel was driving a completely different car, and his softs actually lasted longer then the hard tyres on either McLaren, despite Jenson driving in clean air during the second stint, so it would be impossible to use him as evidence. Its obvious that the McLarens get heat into their tyres faster but the Red Bull is kinder on its tyres, although this might also be fully or partially set-up related.

Edited by Kvothe, 19 March 2012 - 15:56.

#662 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:12

Actually during the Korea qualifying of 2011, Andy Latham race engineer of Lewis Hamilton, told him he would need a gap of at least 5 seconds to completely avoid the effects of dirty air. If that's the minimum difference to avoid the effects its likely that being within 2.5 seconds means there was still an effect of some kind.

Also Vettel was driving a completely different car, and his softs actually lasted longer then the hard tyres on either McLaren, despite Jenson driving in clean air during the second stint, so it would be impossible to use him as evidence. Its obvious that the McLarens get heat into their tyres faster but the Red Bull is kinder on its tyres, although this might also be fully or partially set-up related.

Kvothe my friend look at the PM-FA 20 lap stint and we can debunk the dirty air/tire wear theory.20 laps under a second behind.

http://en.mclarenf-1.....tor Maldonado

#663 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:30

Why? They didn't in 2007 or 2010

2007 was a special case of major fall out and they did chose Lewis over Alonso in th eend.

2010 - Button did not really challenge Lewis so Lewis was de facto the #1

2012 looks totally different where the car is good for WDC (till now) and both drivers can get their second title. The problem is there is not much between them so they will take points away from each other.

RBR or some others may have a role to play if they keep the title within sight...

We might see the elusive TEAM ORDER from Macca this year...

#664 slideways

slideways

• 3,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:35

Until Button figures out how to qualify a car (unlikely he will start now) I don't think Hamilton fans have too much to worry about. Both guys have their pros and cons, and now that Button has settled into the team they balance out about the same.

#665 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:37

Until Button figures out how to qualify a car (unlikely he will start now) I don't think Hamilton fans have too much to worry about. Both guys have their pros and cons, and now that Button has settled into the team they balance out about the same.

Yup and when McLaren don't have the qualifying advantage we could see 5 places between the drivers come the start on Sunday.

#666 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:42

Well I would say so far it looks, like Button has improved his qualifying speed way more, than Lewis has improved his tire managing skills. And a top driver does aim to learn from an opponent and to constantly improve. Remember that Frentzen was said to have shown a better driving skills in the Mercedes junior team than Schumacher, but Schumacher had the work ethics and the motivation to constantly improve and learn and work. At the top level skill and natural talent alone is not enough.

#667 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:31

Yeah his qualifying in Oz was abysmal, so far off the pace and way down the grid. :rolleyes:

#668 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:31

WHAT? Blaming dirty air now? Christ. Lewis's car set-up was a little off, that's all.

#669 slideways

slideways

• 3,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:51

Yeah his qualifying in Oz was abysmal, so far off the pace and way down the grid. :rolleyes:

Whatever, as I said he has his pros, but quali isn't one of them, you would probably be the first person in F1 history to argue that it is.

#670 P123

P123

• 8,637 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:57

Whatever, as I said he has his pros, but quali isn't one of them, you would probably be the first person in F1 history to argue that it is.

It's not his major strength, but maybe it just shows as a weakness up against Hamilton. Similar to Hamilton's supposed tyre issues. He tends to wear them out a lap or two earlier than JB. However even Rubens, who isn't reknowned as an aggressive driver, couldn't match JB for tyre preservation in the Bridgestone days, so I'm not sold on the whole Hamilton tyre destroyer view either. It's amazing the amount of bickering that goes on in here about how terrible JB and LH are. They are the best driver pairing on the grid, both race winners and both WDCs.

#671 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,446 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:02

Jenson
13 1:33.970
14 1:34.164
15 1:34.645
P
Lewis
13 1:33.881
14 1:34.255
15 1:34.730
16 1:36.403

I can only assume that the arrangement in the team is that while the leading driver gets preference, if he decides he doesn't want to pit, it's clear for the other guy to do so. Therefore, considering the time you can lose by being out just one lap too much on worn tyres, I would think whichever driver is second will have to be very careful about pitting as late as possible. I would think it'd be better in this situation to try and force the leader's hand by coming in a bit sooner than optimum, and try and make the tyres go a bit longer in subsequent stints, if possible. Maybe it wasn't yesterday, I dunno.

Anyway, Jenson deserved to win, regardless of pit stops. As the times above show, it wasn't degrading tyres that cost Lewis, it was just that he couldn't keep up in the first few laps. Jenson did a great job there. Still, it's only one race, nothing to worry about.

#672 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:03

It's amazing the amount of bickering that goes on in here about how terrible JB and LH are. They are the best driver pairing on the grid, both race winners and both WDCs.

I totally agree. They should work together and then look set to murder the field. Anyway, the Lewis vs Jenson handbag fight is here: http://forums.autosp...w...0&start=640

#673 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,181 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:11

WHAT? Blaming dirty air now? Christ. Lewis's car set-up was a little off, that's all.

ha - i think we need to move on guys....

Jenson won this one.

Maybe lewis was constipated or something. Even so Jenson still won. We will get the charming bast*rd back soon. :)

#674 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:12

I can only assume that the arrangement in the team is that while the leading driver gets preference, if he decides he doesn't want to pit, it's clear for the other guy to do so. Therefore, considering the time you can lose by being out just one lap too much on worn tyres, I would think whichever driver is second will have to be very careful about pitting as late as possible. I would think it'd be better in this situation to try and force the leader's hand by coming in a bit sooner than optimum, and try and make the tyres go a bit longer in subsequent stints, if possible. Maybe it wasn't yesterday, I dunno.

Anyway, Jenson deserved to win, regardless of pit stops. As the times above show, it wasn't degrading tyres that cost Lewis, it was just that he couldn't keep up in the first few laps. Jenson did a great job there. Still, it's only one race, nothing to worry about.

You do also need to keep in mind where the other cars are. The earlier you pit in the first stint the more chance there is of coming out behind other cars. Unless you have built a healthy lead which wasn't the case this weekend.

#675 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,446 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:43

You do also need to keep in mind where the other cars are. The earlier you pit in the first stint the more chance there is of coming out behind other cars. Unless you have built a healthy lead which wasn't the case this weekend.

In principle I agree, but on this occasion I don't think that was the case. The McLarens were lapping slower than nearly everybody by lap 15, so they were actually increasing their chance of coming out behind someone the longer they waited to pit - those who had stopped aleady were eating in to their lead easily. Hamilton lost nearly 4 seconds to Alonso alone on that last lap he was left out. That shouldn't happen. But as we saw, Jenson's lead meant he was ok on this occasion, so he did what was needed, and I don't want to labour this pit stop point too much anyway, because it didn't cost Lewis a win or even a position. Just something to watch for in future races, I would say.

#676 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:46

I suspect the fuel saving had a bigger impact on their speed than anything else. I hope Mac don't keep under-fueling and rely on slow running to get them to the end of the race.

#677 dave12

dave12

• 703 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:55

They're not,not anymore. JB will win and is better atm and I'm dead serious.

I also think if by midseason LH is 40-50 pts back the team should fully back JB or they'll lose WDC to SV, I prefer JB.

So you think that Jenson is the better driver at this time? That is a big U turn from you if true!

Edit

Edited by dave12, 19 March 2012 - 18:57.

#678 FloorIt

FloorIt

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:57

i didnt read the last 2 pages of this thread yet and i just finished watching the race now back to page 16 and grab a popcorn :D

#679 FloorIt

FloorIt

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:09

i think the problem with lewis is that the first time he raced in F1 was in a top team challenging for championship he didn't go through crappy teams and dog cars like jenson did and that teaches a lot for a driver , am i right ?

Advertisement

#680 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,610 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:10

Jenson was faster on the day. Lewis will be faster on other days. That's all there is to it if you ask me. Lewis has never really dominated Button since Button moved to McLaren, so there's no reason to expect it to happen now. They're evenly matched as drivers, I'm not sure what more evidence is required.

Edited by Coops3, 19 March 2012 - 19:11.

#681 itsademo

itsademo

• 404 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:13

Great win by Jenson proving why he is one of the dream team and the only pair of WDC's to keep racing head to head and close for 3 years in the same team.
But only a fool would not also question the extra lap MW kept lewis out for it cost them a 1-2 and all for what?

With a little bit of brain power he could have had a 1-2 and on this occasion Jenson had the 1 in his back pocket, after lewis lost traction off the start.
Mclaren could have had so many more points over red sore losers aka RBR than they did if he had thought a little.
get it together MW you are costing the team too many points

#682 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:14

So you think that Jenson is the better driver at this time? That is a big U turn from you if true!

Edit

I hate to admit it but atm he is,I don't know how anyone can argue that,facts are facts.

#683 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,610 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:15

Great win by Jenson proving why he is one of the dream team and the only pair of WDC's to keep racing head to head and close for 3 years in the same team.
But only a fool would not also question the extra lap MW kept lewis out for it cost them a 1-2 and all for what?

With a little bit of brain power he could have had a 1-2 and on this occasion Jenson had the 1 in his back pocket, after lewis lost traction off the start.
Mclaren could have had so many more points over red sore losers aka RBR than they did if he had thought a little.

I'm pretty sure Martin Whitmarsh isn't making such strategy decisions, and even if he is, hindsight is a wonderful thing. You can't reasonably expect every decision to be the right one.

#684 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:19

If the safety car had come out 1 lap earlier or 1 lap later they would have been 1-2 anyway. It was sheer bad luck that ultimately cost them.

#685 jannyg

jannyg

• 162 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:28

@fieraku

I always look out for your comments on LH as you normally echo my opinion.

But try stay with him my man. Yesterday was painful for me to, its never good seeing Hamilton so off the pace. But he will be back, all it takes is a Germany2011 performance then the table turns. If Hamilton can finish P3 on his off day then its a good result because last year his off day was a collision or outside of the podium. It's unrealistic for us to expect Button to not beat Hamilton throughout the season.

This result reminded me of India and Japan last year where LH was just weirdly slow. But they were only two instances, hopefully Australia was the only instance this year.

Keep the faith, he'll come good. :up:

#686 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:29

Jenson was faster on the day. Lewis will be faster on other days. That's all there is to it if you ask me. Lewis has never really dominated Button since Button moved to McLaren, so there's no reason to expect it to happen now. They're evenly matched as drivers, I'm not sure what more evidence is required.

Agreed.

The only concern is whether Lewis lets his head go down if Jenson has a few more of 'his' days early in the season. He looked like a beaten man last year, and looked beaten yesterday.

He's an enormously talented racing driver, up against a thinking driver who is devastatingly consistent. On his day Lewis is unquestionably the 'faster' driver. The problem for Lewis is that Jenson has demonstrated that he's incredibly effective at delivering the best of his performance evenly over a season.

If Lewis can't even out his peaks and troughs, Jenson is more than capable of doing what he did last year.

#687 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,610 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:35

Agreed.

The only concern is whether Lewis lets his head go down if Jenson has a few more of 'his' days early in the season. He looked like a beaten man last year, and looked beaten yesterday.

He's an enormously talented racing driver, up against a thinking driver who is devastatingly consistent. On his day Lewis is unquestionably the 'faster' driver. The problem for Lewis is that Jenson has demonstrated that he's incredibly effective at delivering the best of his performance evenly over a season.

If Lewis can't even out his peaks and troughs, Jenson is more than capable of doing what he did last year.

I dunno, I think too much is made of Lewis' supposed frail state of mind. He wears his heart on his sleeve, so it shows when he loses out, but I don't think it really affects his speed in a race. I just don't really buy into the idea that you have to have 'your head in the right place' to be able to do what comes naturally to you and drive a car fast.

Edited by Coops3, 19 March 2012 - 19:35.

#688 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:40

I dunno, I think too much is made of Lewis' supposed frail state of mind. He wears his heart on his sleeve, so it shows when he loses out, but I don't think it really affects his speed in a race. I just don't really buy into the idea that you have to have 'your head in the right place' to be able to do what comes naturally to you and drive a car fast.

This is a sport of incredibly fine margins. It doesn't surprise me that extraneous factors can impact pace. I recall Senna driving a second a lap faster after Mansell crashed out in one of his championship years - it was like a pressure had been lifted from his shoulders all of a sudden - and it directly impacted his pace. It's not too much of a stretch to consider that a demoralised driver could be a few tenths off of a driver who's in the right place mentally...

#689 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,214 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:53

Well at least he didn't crash into Massa :well:

#690 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:02

I hate to admit it but atm he is,I don't know how anyone can argue that,facts are facts.

You are normally one of the more level-headed Lewis fans. I hope you are not being serious with your recent posts.

I said it yesterday. This is one race of 20! There will be races this year, maybe even in Sepang where Lewis will win and Jenson will under perform or simply not be as quick! That's racing.

As I said previously, you are basing this on one race I assume? Because Lewis at the end of last year was perfectly fine, quick, making the right calls.

Look at it again... Lewis made one mistake this weekend, the start. Other than that maybe another mistake was not disregarding the team and pitting when he felt he needed (just box and give the team no choice!). He made one mistake, and that's all it needs against Jenson! That's what we've said all along, however before it has never been a winning situation! Lewis has made mistakes before nad Jenson has benefited but for positions of 2nd, or 3rd, 4th or 5th even? It just is more noticeable when it's for the win.

#691 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:08

Well at least he didn't crash into Massa :well:

Nope, but Massa still managed to play bumper cars.

#692 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:17

You are normally one of the more level-headed Lewis fans. I hope you are not being serious with your recent posts.

I said it yesterday. This is one race of 20! There will be races this year, maybe even in Sepang where Lewis will win and Jenson will under perform or simply not be as quick! That's racing.

As I said previously, you are basing this on one race I assume? Because Lewis at the end of last year was perfectly fine, quick, making the right calls.

Look at it again... Lewis made one mistake this weekend, the start. Other than that maybe another mistake was not disregarding the team and pitting when he felt he needed (just box and give the team no choice!). He made one mistake, and that's all it needs against Jenson! That's what we've said all along, however before it has never been a winning situation! Lewis has made mistakes before nad Jenson has benefited but for positions of 2nd, or 3rd, 4th or 5th even? It just is more noticeable when it's for the win.

Come off it. He made a mistake at the start, but he was slower thereafter too. He never for a minute looked like he was going to get his place back.

All the fantasy about him going it alone on strategy is just that; fantasy. If he stops a few laps early on stop one, when is he going top get those laps back? He was (same as everyone) on the edge of his tyres at the end of the race, so if he had done as you guys suggest and pit early for stop 1 he may well have lost 3rd in the end. The only meaningful event was the very bad luck in losing out to Vettel.

One of them had to win, and add to that a bit of bad luck and you get the result as seen - no further excuses or absurdity are needed.

#693 dave12

dave12

• 703 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:19

Ok cool.
Who do you think would come out on top if Lewis is on it and so was Jenson because i happen to think it would close very close infact?

#694 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,068 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:21

A lot of us Lewis fans overreacted yesterday (me included). It was just race 1 of 20 as many have said. Jenson is no slouch and in a decent car he is always going to be a handful. As many have said, Alonso often out paced Lewis and at times even Kovi did. It happens to any driver.

Lewis is a great driver, he'll bounce back.

#695 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:21

Other than that maybe another mistake was not disregarding the team and pitting when he felt he needed (just box and give the team no choice!).

Have you considered the possibility that if he'd done that he'd have compromised the strategy later in the race because he'd either have to stay out longer on a subsequent set of tyres and lost performance there instead, or would have been forced to make another pitstop ?

The way I see it he needs to learn to adjust his driving style to suit the tyres rapidly, as others have done, or he's going to continue to suffer in performance.

Edit: bah too slow, GlenP beat me to it :p

Edited by icecream_man, 19 March 2012 - 20:22.

#696 dave12

dave12

• 703 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:24

A lot of us Lewis fans overreacted yesterday (me included). It was just race 1 of 20 as many have said. Jenson is no slouch and in a decent car he is always going to be a handful. As many have said, Alonso often out paced Lewis and at times even Kovi did. It happens to any driver.

Lewis is a great driver, he'll bounce back.

I hope so i would love to see those go at it over the season it would be an Epic battle.

#697 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,068 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:26

I hope so i would love to see those go at it over the season it would be an Epic battle.

Same here, it could be an epic battle.

#698 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 432 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:46

Same here, it could be an epic battle.

Epic is quite right. I think this could be a duel the like of which we haven't seen since the 1980's.

#699 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,214 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:46

Nope, but Massa still managed to play bumper cars.

Exactly... Kind of vindicates Hamilton a little don't you think

Advertisement

#700 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,640 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:48

Exactly... Kind of vindicates Hamilton a little don't you think

I always thought it was more Massa anyway.