Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#1101 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:22

Did not you notice a strange pattern with BUT Q3 laps?
Today(like in Australia) he was slow after the first lap, but tried for real to grab the pole with his second lap.
_

Everyone does that and did so all last year.

Advertisement

#1102 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:24

Way to overthink it :rotfl:

I know it sounds ludicrous, but maybe Jenson just puts on a safe lap and then a faster more agressive one.

a safe lap being 4 tenths slower? It's not the first time.

#1103 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:24

Just 1 tenth between them but not real. Hamilton made a mistake on last corner, despite he made the pole.

#1104 bauss

bauss

• 4,946 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:25

so Lewis is written off for tmrw...aight

#1105 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:25

a safe lap being 4 tenths slower? It's not the first time.

What's so strange about that?

#1106 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:26

Just 1 tenth between them but not real. Hamilton made a mistake on last corner, despite he made the pole.

Can you confirm Button made no mistakes then?

#1107 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:27

Everyone does that and did so all last year.

They are in the same team, and i have enough data to support what i say.. Anyway forget my post.. They all do that..
-
So congrats for HAM and BUT for the 1-2 :) :p

#1108 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:28

Lewis shows again he is fundamentally quicker than Button but will we again see tomorrow who is better at racing a Grand Prix at this point in time? Button is favourite to set up his car correctly for the race, favourite to manage his tyres through-out and favourite to have the right approach across the entire Grand Prix, knowing when to sit back and knowing when to put his foot down.

Lewis is talking about his set up in detail, he's definitely thinking about how he approaches the weekend but you can't help but feel Button has the edge on that front.

#1109 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:28

If anyone was sandbagging it was Lewis because he almost won a second between Q2 and Q3.

True, if anything heading into Q3 i thought he was either unhappy with the balance or had sacrificed speed for better tire usage.

The race should be a good one.

#1110 DefJack

DefJack

• 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:29

Lewis had time in hand on that pole lap.

Apparently he's gone for a race pace setup aswell.

#1111 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:32

Lewis had time in hand on that pole lap.

Apparently he's gone for a race pace setup aswell.

Even if Lewis has gone for the right set up I think he'll still lose it on the tyres. Still, one disadvantage is better than two.

#1112 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:33

Can you confirm Button made no mistakes then?

No complaining on the radio.

Lewis has made sure he had a good race set up and he lost 2 - 3 tenths at the final turn Ant Davidson said on the pole lap replay.

#1113 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,887 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:36

I thought Lewis looked ragged at the final turn. Didn't look like it was anything to do with race set-up, just a little scruffy.

#1114 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:38

No complaining on the radio.

Lewis has made sure he had a good race set up and he lost 2 - 3 tenths at the final turn Ant Davidson said on the pole lap replay.

Doesn't say anything.

#1115 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:38

Yeah, just a mistake in the final turn from Lewis. The boy is phenominally quick, hopefully he'll be able to translate that pace into races again soon.

#1116 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:39

Doesn't say anything.

Button has said in an interview that he knows where he lost the time and it's in a place where he simply can't drive the car any faster.

#1117 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,887 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:40

Lewis is the FASTEST driver in F1, but I'm happy that Jenson is close to him -- it's bringing out the best from JB.

#1118 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:43

Button will demolish the field tomorrow,unless there's a SC with 5-6 to go,Ham 2nd if he has enough tires left.
:up: job Mac (the car) still pissed @ Mission Control

#1119 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:26

As ever, epic lap by Lewis. We'll be seeing alot more of that this year.

Button close, JUST close enough but that difference between Button and Schumacher is too close. Button need's to up his game else he will lose out 2/3 positions on the grid to Lewis next time out.

As for the race... Will be interesting. Between the Mclaren guys, I am off the believe that whoever leads T1 will likely win the race. Lewis from the front will control the race, pit when he wants and Button will have no choice but to follow suit or either drastically change his own strategy.

If Button leads into T1 then I think it will be a repeat of Australia. Button in the sort of driver who is 10 x more comfortable at the lead of a GP than anywhere else.

One issue I foresee for Lewis, he flat spotted his tyre. How bad, im not sure but no doubt that will be an issue in the first stint.

Lewis has been 'on it' all weekend, if he comes any lower than 2nd Ill be disappointed, but for sure not half as disappointed he or Mclaren will be. This should be a 1-2 Mclaren. The order of which I am not too fussed. I 'hope' Button, but feel Lewis is the one to beat tomorrow.

Edited by PNSD, 24 March 2012 - 10:27.

Advertisement

#1120 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:32

Button close, JUST close enough but that difference between Button and Schumacher is too close. Button need's to up his game else he will lose out 2/3 positions on the grid to Lewis next time out.

As for the race... Will be interesting. Between the Mclaren guys, I am off the believe that whoever leads T1 will likely win the race. Lewis from the front will control the race, pit when he wants and Button will have no choice but to follow suit or either drastically change his own strategy.

If Button leads into T1 then I think it will be a repeat of Australia. Button in the sort of driver who is 10 x more comfortable at the lead of a GP than anywhere else.

One issue I foresee for Lewis, he flat spotted his tyre. How bad, im not sure but no doubt that will be an issue in the first stint.

Lewis has been 'on it' all weekend, if he comes any lower than 2nd Ill be disappointed, but for sure not half as disappointed he or Mclaren will be. This should be a 1-2 Mclaren. The order of which I am not too fussed. I 'hope' Button, but feel Lewis is the one to beat tomorrow.

I'm a Lewis fan, and this is the single reason i didn't want McLaren to produce the fastest car. I'm being honest here. :)

Edited by revlec, 24 March 2012 - 10:34.

#1121 TeamMacca

TeamMacca

• 534 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:35

Fingers crossed that Lewis has a better race set up this time. Will be close regardless though

He said he has gone for a balanced set up leaning more towards the race. To be honest i think that is why he was pumping his fist in the air when he got out of the car because i don't think he expected pole today.

#1122 DefJack

DefJack

• 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:36

JB knows he isn't as fast as Lewis but is stronger in other areas.

As for that last lock up, lots of people were locking there, in the slow mo it looked like the front was bouncing, probably due to the road surface, this bouncing unloads the tires and causes lock ups.

#1123 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:37

JB has this in the bag.

Lewis Hamilton believes that managing his tyres correctly will be the key factor in deciding Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix, after taking pole position for the race.
"It is [crucial at Sepang]; positioning and tyre management," he said. "In these conditions you never know what is going to happen, and these tyres are having a seriously hard time around here, so it's going to be interesting.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98326

Edited by fieraku, 24 March 2012 - 10:38.

#1124 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:58

Didn't look like JB was on the pace through the FP and Qualy. So I don't expect the repeat of Melbourne.

But anyway, hope Jenson wins and wish both drivers GL.

Edited by sofarapartguy, 24 March 2012 - 10:58.

#1125 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:59

JB has this in the bag.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98326

This thread has become very strange, some lewis fans have gone from complete over confidence in his abilities to presuming he's useless and at the mercy of jense, the true TDG (tyre degradation god)

He is in with a chance tomorrow you know...

#1126 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:00

Yup, it seems like the difference in pace is larger at this circuit. And their tyre management was similar in Melbourne, so I don't expect any magic from Jenson at all tomorrow. Just hope he won't fall back too much at the start and ruin his race that way.

#1127 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:08

This thread has become very strange, some lewis fans have gone from complete over confidence in his abilities to presuming he's useless and at the mercy of jense, the true TDG (tyre degradation god)

Not when he got pole :| sorry mate.I wrote this 4 days ago..............

Sepang is a brutal track,his side/team have to get the setup spot on for race pace and also don't waste too many tires in Qualy.I'd rather have Lewis start 6th with fresh tires on hand and a good race setup than on pole with all used tires left.Which is I'm afraid they'll do,again,and he'll start going backwards and end of stints and end up with one more pitstop.
I would love to know how both of them operate and set up their cars relative to e/o,do they use JB's data as reference from practice,does LH set up his car Quali biased,etc.

Luck or not FA started 13th? and got only 5pts less than Lewis in the end,so that's how races could go and how irrelevant Quali can be if you have good race pace vs one lap speed,i.e Merc.

I'll hate saying I told you so :cry: I've lost all faith in Lewis' side of garage. And I will be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong.

#1128 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:19

Lewis bags pole in 1 attempt and you've lose faith?

Tyre wear is an issue here, but to such an extent that Button wont be able to do any better with the equipment... maybe he can, but he'll lose out by not being on fresher rubber.

This will not be a Hungary 2011 where Lewis romped off only to be caught by Jenson later in the stint's.

Tomorrow, either Lewis, or both cars will romp off, then they will both get the tyres dropping as quick as each other. We saw last year as many times with Button, as we did with Lewis that it's not always easy to look after the tyres.

You say Button is favourite, but that is really not the case. If Schumacher get's by then Button's chances of a win lay in whatever chances of rain there is tbh!

#1129 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:26

A repeat from last weekend for sure, Jenson on top. But the win?

#1130 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:28

PNSD I hope you're right,really.I hope Lewis laps everyone,I really do.I just don't see it in these tires,in these conditions,on this track.I'll do my rain dance though.

#1131 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:35

Not when he got pole :| sorry mate.I wrote this 4 days ago..............

I'll hate saying I told you so :cry: I've lost all faith in Lewis' side of garage. And I will be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong.

What did they do differently to Jenson's side of the garage then? And if the answer is nothing, did you lose all faith in his side of the garage too?

#1132 advan031

advan031

• 221 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:36

Button will win tomorrow and he doesn't even need to beat Hamilton to the first corner:) I've said this already...I am OK with Button being "slower" than Hamilton by .1xx in Quali because his intangibles in the race is greater than Hamilton's.

#1133 Masenco

Masenco

• 815 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:42

lol what's up with everyone?

Lose faith in Lewis at your own peril.

Lewis' tyre management issues are being grossly exagurated. And Jensons' tyre management skills are being gassed up.

Tomorrow Lewis' tyre management will not be considerably different than Jensons, you heard it here first people. :up:

Edited by Masenco, 24 March 2012 - 11:42.

#1134 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,788 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:45

lol what's up with everyone?

Lose faith in Lewis at your own peril.

Lewis' tyre management issues are being grossly exagurated. And Jensons' tyre management skills are being gassed up.

Tomorrow Lewis' tyre management will not be considerably different than Jensons, you heard it here first people. :up:

Seems like just one poster to me.

#1135 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:46

What did they do differently to Jenson's side of the garage then?
And if the answer is nothing, did you lose all faith in his side of the garage too?

We can safely say no one here knows that,I just feel Lewis' car is still Q biased and that if he had sacrificed some Q speed he'd be in a better position.Don't forget he had a huge lockup and only one run and will start with flat spotted tires. I hope I'm proven wrong,I'll be happy.

#1136 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,664 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:04

Nice job by Lewis and impressive of McLaren to lock out the front row.

I have no idea how the race will turn out like all of you seem to know.  ;)

#1137 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:11

Great lap by Lewis, even with the lockup - I was half expecting to see a couple of cars between them but JB put a good second run together, and he seemed pretty happy with starting P2.
If it stays as tight as it seems now LH is probably going to find himself a few places ahead of JB in quite a few races, and that could make all the difference between them.
Nothing's changed from last week really though - I'm just hoping the 2 Mclarens can get to the first corner in front so they can race each other. I wouldn't be too surprised if Schumi takes one or both of them.
It'll be interesting to see how things unfold if JB's following LH this time.

#1138 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:34

Jenson will win if they fuel him to the end.

#1139 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:36

Jenson will win if they fuel him to the end.

As opposed to starting him light, calling him in and refuelling him illegally you mean? :drunk: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#1140 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:44

Look like an exact copy of Melbourne so far between the McLaren guys. Hope that continues tomorrow!

#1141 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 5,984 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:48

Button can't leave it too long to nail Hamilton in the race as eventually they will be told to hold position for a 1-2. His main chance is to get him at the start and then try to keep him behind until the tyres go off.

Lewis on the other hand should try to run and hide to give him a chance against Button when the degredation kicks in. If Button runs with Hamilton Button will win. If Lewis can pull a gap while the tyres are new he should be able to stay ahead.

Going to be a great race.

Edit for typos :)

Edited by BuzzingHornet, 24 March 2012 - 12:48.

#1142 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:48

Way too close to call the race. Hopefully they will both be smart and stay out of trouble - the car has the pace to play the long game if Schumacher gets the start; his tyres won't last. If Webber gets a good start (unlikely, sadly) he will be a big threat too.

#1143 DefJack

DefJack

• 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:51

Jenson has like a lap advantage in tire deg, it's barely noticable.

The only difference between them last week was turning on the tires.

#1144 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:55

Jenson has like a lap advantage in tire deg, it's barely noticable.

The only difference between them last week was turning on the tires.

I'm not too sure there. Tyres are under much much more stress here, so I think any difference may be amplified. Maybe Lewis' best bet is to go for an alternative strategy and get on the hard tyres as soon as possible - however, that does of course open up the possibility of blaming the team if it doesn't work (or praising Lewis if it does - that's how it goes isn't it?).

#1145 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:57

however, that does of course open up the possibility of blaming the team if it doesn't work (or praising Lewis if it does - that's how it goes isn't it?).

And what do you base that on?

#1146 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:59

Button, although the racing genius he is will realize the best chance is at the start. He will want to play the long game but he will also realize against Lewis, a hard, fast attack is the best way. An aggressive Jenson from the lights out is what we need. We do not need a Jenson who holds back and wait's for the tyres.

I want to see some real racing with these guys.

My guess is that MW will instruct the team to at least keep cool for turn 1. There is every possibility they could lose out due to the circuits nature so I would assume a hold station for turn 1 barring any problems will be the order of tomorrows start. From then on however it will be a race.

#1147 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:59

That's a trick question, right?

#1148 as65p

as65p

• 17,078 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 13:02

Button, although the racing genius he is will realize the best chance is at the start. He will want to play the long game but he will also realize against Lewis, a hard, fast attack is the best way. An aggressive Jenson from the lights out is what we need. We do not need a Jenson who holds back and wait's for the tyres.

I want to see some real racing with these guys.

My guess is that MW will instruct the team to at least keep cool for turn 1. There is every possibility they could lose out due to the circuits nature so I would assume a hold station for turn 1 barring any problems will be the order of tomorrows start. From then on however it will be a race.

You mean hold station so that Hamilton is first, even if Button has a better start? Ho does that tally with your first paragraph?

#1149 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 13:03

Have you not read this thread?

#1150 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,471 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 13:03

That's a trick question, right?

Are we likely to see the BBC and Sky acknowledge this type of perception or is it based on ones biased forum view? That isn't a trick question.