2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#1801 learningtobelost

learningtobelost

• 690 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:25

Both of them did.

My understanding was that Lewis only did an outlap, whereas Jenson did a full 3 lap run due to being pretty close to the drop zone? Hence being in a less fortuitous tyre situation.

Advertisement

#1802 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:40

his second run was slower,but he was still quicker than button in the first 2 sectors,eventhough he was behind button who was struggling because of the temp.
but lewis's lap wouldnt have beaten rosbergs great lap so lewis abandoned it.

That doesn't explain the 'both cars went out late' comment at all.

#1803 SonicAngel

SonicAngel

• 49 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:02

We can argue over who had the tenth here and who had it there all day. The fact is that Jenson does not like cold temps and was struggling with them today, as he always does. He may have put in ~2 laps more than Lewis, had less tires and launched his Q3 lap too late as the track was rapidly cooling down (and according to Alonso, building up wind as will).

But had everything been perfect do we really believe he can take Lewis on one of his favorite tracks in conditions that suit him much more than Jenson? Probably not and the results speak for themselves. Lewis was better today as far as I'm concerned, and I'm a big JB fan.

As for tomorrow? who knows. Maybe the track will be hotter, maybe just the fact that the cars are running on it non-stop will help JB, all I hope is that it's hotter tomorrow, cause that's the only thing that will get JB back into this.

#1804 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 3,084 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:44

I just hope both driver get a clean start, no dramas. Hopefully Webber will have one off his dodgy starts again.

#1805 Pingu Pi

Pingu Pi

• 1,719 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 13:20

I think Jenson has a race set up, and perhaps a too short 7th gear.

Hypocrisy at it's finest, Lewis has to have had quali setup but jenson who had no race compromise has a race setup.

New degrees of insanity are being developed.

#1806 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 13:49

I think Jenson has a race set up, and perhaps a too short 7th gear.

C'mon Bunk, at least check the speed trap before making that one up. You can do better.

#1807 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:17

Great stuff from Lewis, Nico was clearly untouchable so I think he maximised his position. Button was pretty drab but I expect him to be very strong in the race tomorrow. It's possible we'll see Lewis behind him at the end of the first stint so it'll be interesting to see what happens with the pits - no doubt with Lewis staying out too long waiting for Button to stop, as luck seems to have it.

#1808 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,827 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:18

C'mon Bunk, at least check the speed trap before making that one up. You can do better.

In case people are interested:

15 3 Jenson Button 14:10:35 313.4
16 4 Lewis Hamilton 14:32:29 313.2

Good old bunk, never one to let his hatred of Hamilton cloud the facts.

#1809 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:22

Great stuff from Lewis, Nico was clearly untouchable so I think he maximised his position. Button was pretty drab but I expect him to be very strong in the race tomorrow. It's possible we'll see Lewis behind him at the end of the first stint so it'll be interesting to see what happens with the pits - no doubt with Lewis staying out too long waiting for Button to stop, as luck seems to have it.

If you're looking for it - and you obviously are - you'll probably see it.

#1810 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,617 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:25

I doubt he'll see it if it doesn't happen! :)

#1811 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:26

He did last race.

#1812 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:30

Bang on, it'll either happen or it won't - that's nothing to do with a conspiracy but the luck of being the second driver on the track.

#1813 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,827 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:32

Bang on, it'll either happen or it won't - that's nothing to do with a conspiracy but the luck of being the second driver on the track.

Alonso will be ahead of both of them after turn 1. His car really does start fast. Key for both mclarens will be to make sure they keep on the outside of turn one so they're in good position for turn 2. Get stuck on the inside and you can lose a lot of places as you're taken around the outside.

#1814 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:34

Alonso will be ahead of both of them after turn 1. His car really does start fast. Key for both mclarens will be to make sure they keep on the outside of turn one so they're in good position for turn 2. Get stuck on the inside and you can lose a lot of places as you're taken around the outside.

Yeah, the first corner is pretty insane, anything could happen, I was being slightly facetious with my comment anyway - 'as luck would have it...' etc.

#1815 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:37

Yeah, the first corner is pretty insane, anything could happen, I was being slightly facetious with my comment anyway - 'as luck would have it...' etc.

Kobayashi on the 2nd row should increase the insanity factor on the first lap. :D

#1816 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 15:14

My understanding was that Lewis only did an outlap, whereas Jenson did a full 3 lap run due to being pretty close to the drop zone? Hence being in a less fortuitous tyre situation.

correct

#1817 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 15:16

Hamilton fans must be smirking at Lewis being right behind Jenson on the grid despite his penalty. Poor performance from Jenson, not really competitive throughout qualifying and on the moment he needed it the most he even lost some of that.

I'm half pleased from that perspective and half annoyed as this was a great chance to out qualify Jenson significantly - by which I mean having cars between them rather than sharing the same row. I think that is going to be an area which can potentially win Lewis the title, particularly with cars being so close in quali trim now.

Forgot to mention, the reaction to your other post about team mistakes made me chuckle...mind you, if I was paranoid MW's completely Jenson-centric quali comments on the macca website wouldn't help!

Edited by robefc, 14 April 2012 - 15:38.

#1818 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,447 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:29

I'm half pleased from that perspective and half annoyed as this was a great chance to out qualify Jenson significantly - by which I mean having cars between them rather than sharing the same row. I think that is going to be an area which can potentially win Lewis the title, particularly with cars being so close in quali trim now.

Spot on. I'm still rather frustrated about the penalty, as Lewis would be in a great position relative to the Red Bulls and Jenson, if he'd kept his true grid spot. Still, a good performance, and it's still looking more than decent for the race.

#1819 aerodynamic

aerodynamic

• 201 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:34

Everyone that has been following Lewis knows that he is on fire right now, only external factors can stop him from becoming WDC 2012. fact.

Advertisement

#1820 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:42

MW's completely Jenson-centric quali comments on the macca website wouldn't help!

Link?

#1821 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:49

Link?

http://www.mclaren.c...rix--qualifying

People need to stop reading into this, might be worth thinking he needs to be more positive with his comments on Jenson because Jenson realistically needs that boost if he's going to have a chance of beating Lewis.

#1822 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:51

Everyone that has been following Lewis knows that he is on fire right now, only external factors can stop him from becoming WDC 2012. fact.

He has been good in qually but drab so far in the races. Monza 2011 drab, just being safe and collecting points.

If he can break out of this mode and still finish races then you may be right. We will see how he does tomorrow on one of his favorite tracks.

#1823 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:53

People need to stop reading into this, might be worth thinking he needs to be more positive with his comments on Jenson because Jenson realistically needs that boost if he's going to have a chance of beating Lewis.

Sorry English isn't my first language and I'm not denying MW's salivation over JB but I see nothing in that piece.

#1824 Grundle

Grundle

• 722 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:53

If the team had given lewis the same attention as Jenson, he would have won at least one race by now. dodgy clutch settings and hrt style pit stops are unacceptable imo. the good thing is lewis is staying positive, and i liked that he put the brake coolers on the car after q3 in parc ferm

Edited by Grundle, 14 April 2012 - 16:57.

#1825 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:12

What are you on about, this is conclusive proof that Whitmarsh is sabotaging Lewis from the inside, this is going straight on my blog.

#1826 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:22

Hamilton beats Button in qualifying. What a turn up for the books. ;) Qualifying prowess and outright speed is one thing, tyre management racing is another. With these two things cancelling out each others strengths and weaknesses, either driver is capable of finishing ahead of the other tomorrow, if the other has a less than great race.

#1827 MP422

MP422

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:22

I hope Button set the car up for overtaking instead of qualifying !! :stoned:

#1828 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:38

Hypocrisy at it's finest, Lewis has to have had quali setup but jenson who had no race compromise has a race setup.

New degrees of insanity are being developed.

Reminds me of some of the things hamilton fans said last year to explain Jenson being so close to hamilton in qualifying :p

#1829 MP422

MP422

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:47

Reminds me of some of the things hamilton fans said last year to explain Jenson being so close to hamilton in qualifying :p

Some proof please. Dig up some posts so we can see what Hamilton fanS said.

#1830 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:52

Some proof please. Dig up some posts so we can see what Hamilton fanS said.

Well conspiracies theories like whitmarsh favoring button and the team intentionally screwing up lewis' strategy is the first thing that comes to mind. Your not really going to pretend like those things weren't thrown aroung are you? Dig up the posts? :lol: Sure just for you :kiss:

#1831 Lights

Lights

• 9,885 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:13

Agreed, I remember Jenson mentioning in a press conference once that the first thing he does on a Saturday night is check out the McLaren website to read Martin's comment.

#1832 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:18

Agreed, I remember Jenson mentioning in a press conference once that the first thing he does on a Saturday night is check out the McLaren website to read Martin's comment.

Is that a joke?

#1833 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 882 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:25

:lol:

#1834 Lights

Lights

• 9,885 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:25

Is that a joke?

It's not like I'm known to be serious around here. Sorry for the confusion.

#1835 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,698 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:27

Definitely, the mans confidence is obviously at an all time low.

#1836 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 18:33

It's not like I'm known to be serious around here. Sorry for the confusion.

Ah ok, I initially laughed, but I just had to do a double take though.

#1837 MP422

MP422

• 2,038 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 19:34

Well conspiracies theories like whitmarsh favoring button and the team intentionally screwing up lewis' strategy is the first thing that comes to mind. Your not really going to pretend like those things weren't thrown aroung are you? Dig up the posts? :lol: Sure just for you :kiss:

So what does race strategy have anything to do with what the gap in qualifying is as you mentioned ? I don't understand. I don't believe generalizing peoples opinions into one group is accurate is all my point is. In reality i believe maybe a few guess at that possibility but overall i think the consensus is mistakes on that side of the garage. In all fairness i believe that MW JB thing is perpetuated by maybe posts of opinions that tend to be against Hamilton.

#1838 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:48

So...this is going to be an interesting one...!

Frankly no idea at the moment but pretty good result for both drivers I think.

And whaaaaat a race for pure drama/excitement/nerves!

#1839 Lights

Lights

• 9,885 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:50

Great race from Jenson. I'll definitely start a new thread on how McLaren tries to sabotage him in order to get Lewis ahead though.

Advertisement

#1840 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:50

So...this is going to be an interesting one...!

Frankly no idea at the moment but pretty good result for both drivers I think.

And whaaaaat a race for pure drama/excitement/nerves!

Indeed :)

#1841 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,698 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:51

Great race from Jenson. I'll definitely start a new thread on how McLaren tries to sabotage him in order to get Lewis ahead though.

:)

Quality drive.

#1842 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 577 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:52

Unlucky forJenson. What is McLaren doing with their stops???

#1843 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:52

Why aren't you congratulating Lewis?

Edited by slmk, 15 April 2012 - 08:52.

#1844 Lights

Lights

• 9,885 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53

Why aren't you congratulating Lewis?

Why aren't you congratulating Jenson?

#1845 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,352 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:53

Nice work by Button and Hamilton today. Great starts and good passing on a tough track. And the pit work for Lewis was key - watching them outperform the Ferrari guys head-to-head was priceless.

#1846 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:55

Why aren't you congratulating Jenson?

I haven't congratulated anyone, yet. I was about to do so, actually.

Jenson and Lewis drove wonderful races despite some bad strategy work by McLaren at times. I'd say this race is a draw, all things considered.

#1847 TomNokoe

TomNokoe

• 5,368 posts

Hamilton went from being 2 seconds behind Button to being 14 seconds behind and then back to 2 seconds all through the virtue of traffic. Hamilton had more traffic all race, due to starting 7th, was close throughout, I can't help but think track wise, Button got a slight rub of the green, the first round of pit stops defined the race a lot, and this was where Button gained his advantage over Hamilton. Had they been closer together or Hamilton never got his penalty it could have been different, but Hamilton leads the championship and Button 2 points behind soooooo game on.

#1848 Lights

Lights

• 9,885 posts

I haven't congratulated anyone, yet. I was about to do so, actually.

Jenson and Lewis drove wonderful races despite some bad strategy work by McLaren at times. I'd say this race is a draw, all things considered.

What was the bad strategy for Lewis?

#1849 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 3,056 posts

Good result for us. Would have been interesting if Jenson didn't have the bad pitstop. Race pace between both was similar, but Jenson was in a better position to extract more from the tyres.

#1850 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:56

Button was better.