Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#2051 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,090 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:16

Something funny I noticed on this board and on another board I go on. So far in his career, Lewis's driving style has been compared to Senna's and Button's to Prost's. Last year Button was constantly "ridiculed" for being safe, boring, playing the long game etc. This year Lewis has shown more maturity in the way he approaches race day and has stated himself that consistency is key and solid points on every weekend is what he wants to do. So he's approaching the championship more like Jenson has been doing. Yes, so suddenly Lewis is Senna no more and his drives are no longer "more Sennaesque than Ayrton himself" (sth I read a while back that made me chuckle). He is now Lewis "Prost" Hamilton (the actual title was given on another board but the comparison was also made here). :) My view is that both Jenson and Lewis have a long way to go before they can be mentioned alongside Senna and Prost.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by PARAZAR, 15 April 2012 - 11:19.

Advertisement

#2052 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:17

The only relevance i guess would be that Lewis was disadvantaged more because of his inferior track position

Not much happened in that stint though. They both tried to close to Rosberg but that kinda failed. I don't see any reason why it disadvantaged Hamilton more.

#2053 as65p

as65p

• 17,157 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:18

Strange, where are all the complaints how McLaren deliberately delayed Buttons pit stop so that Hamilton could close the gap again? That was blatant favoritism! McLaren really showed their colors today, they treat Jenson like a no.2 driver! :mad:

#2054 as65p

as65p

• 17,157 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:21

Exactly, he basically could have only had 6 points more had he drove 3 perfect races. Not many drivers can boast of being so close to maximising car potential this season, and it already shows in WDC table.

:lol: So whose fault was it that he couldn't touch JB's pace in Melbourne? That's another 7 points right there.

#2055 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:21

They hit the limiter at the same speed. Perhaps Button had better acceleration out of the corners.

If Jenson had faster acceleration out of corners he would also hit the limiter sooner.

Not necessarily, he could've had better traction or different gearing and because of it got better use of tow/DRS. Ham almost got re-passed on corner exit every time,and was too far back to DRS pass almost every time as well.

#2056 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 314 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:22

Strange, where are all the complaints how McLaren deliberately delayed Buttons pit stop so that Hamilton could close the gap again? That was blatant favoritism! McLaren really showed their colors today, they treat Jenson like a no.2 driver! :mad:

merely a clever smokescreen after all the public indignation over macs current efforts to see hamilton stuck in the midfield far away from their favourite.

:stoned:

#2057 inca_roads

inca_roads

• 1,425 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:24

Just shows how costly that grid penalty was for Lewis. Without that, he could have built a small gap to the pack early while they were stuck behind Schumacher, and consequently would have had far less traffic to deal with later on, which was a crucial factor. He lost what was a really good track position advantage over his main rivals from Saturday for a Sunday in which it played a big part.

#2058 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

too bad that same gap was opened by them. :p

Edited by revlec, 15 April 2012 - 11:26.

#2059 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Something funny I noticed on this board and on another board I go on. So far in his career, Lewis's driving style has been compared to Senna and Button's to Prost. Last year Button was constantly "ridiculed" for being safe, boring, playing the long game etc. This year Lewis has shown more maturity in the way he approaches race day and has stated himself that consistency is key and solid points on every weekend are what he wants to do. So he's approaching the championship more like Jenson has been doing. Yes, so suddenly Lewis is Senna no more and his drives are no longer "more Sennaesque than Ayrton himself" (sth I read a while back that made me chuckle). He is now Lewis "Prost" Hamilton (the actual title was given on another board but the comparison was also made here). :) My view is that both Jenson and Lewis have a long way to go before they can be mentioned alongside Senna and Prost.

I don't think they should be mentioned alongside any other names from 20 years ago. They are who they are.

What I find interesting though is how many fans of Lewis explained to be his fan purely because of his style. I even seem to remember some saying that they didn't really care whether he finished a race or not, as long as he tried to win the race and gave it his all etc.

So far this year we've seen a more timid Lewis, with a streak of three 3rd places. Impressive, but not really according to the style you became a fan of, now is it?

Advertisement

#2060 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:25

You're late, I was expecting this!

#2061 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:25

I don't know you guys, but i'm not that confident.
WEB is only 9 poinst off the WDC lead, and VET 17 points off.

Once RB will fix their qualifying issues, they will be serious contenders. They still have the downforce(massive amount i must say) but for some reason they are struggling to qualify well. the speed is there though.

I expected a +35 points lead on them by now.

TBH, I feel the same.

But thats only because things haven't been going Hamilton's way, and now that Hamilton knows he has a competitive car he won't be wreckless like last year, which means you can't put your faith in Button either because he's a little too slow in qualifying. To back Button they need to get rid of Hamilton, he's too quick on a Saturday and thus too frequently will take a points position away from Button.

McLaren need to focus and back 1 driver. Otherwise they'll throw the WDC away. I feel it should be Hamilton, he is the future, and Button groomed to retire in an ambassador role for McLaren helping them to be perceived as less of a 'grey' team.

Already we are seeing McLaren drivers taking points off each other.

Redbull last year and Ferrari before that: they collect their points in 1 basket, not 2, thats why they build big leads, whereas we probably never will.

Edited by ZooL, 15 April 2012 - 11:27.

#2062 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:26

A bit late to the party with that one as65p, its been covered or is that covered up. :lol:

#2063 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:27

So Lewis was behind teammate but pitted first. What do we have now?

I say: MOAR CONSPIRACY THEORIES!!!

#2064 peroa

peroa

• 8,846 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:27

Actually, it was karma that came back to bite MW and his boytoy...
You must admit, MW played it perfectly, getting JB a healthy extra 10sec by putting LH in traffic.

#2065 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:28

Not necessarily, he could've had better traction or different gearing and because of it got better use of tow/DRS. Ham almost got re-passed on corner exit every time,and was too far back to DRS pass almost every time as well.

We've already seen several explanations in the past few pages about Hamilton's T13 exit. I also wrote my view on it here. If you'd like to search more behind it, perhaps contact McLaren and ask them, because nobody here will ever find something out apart from the obvious.

#2066 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:30

I don't know you guys, but i'm not that confident.
WEB is only 9 poinst off the WDC lead, and VET 17 points off.

Once RB will fix their qualifying issues, they will be serious contenders. They still have the downforce(massive amount i must say) but for some reason they are struggling to qualify well. the speed is there though.

I expected a +35 points lead on them by now.

McLaren haven't been that dominant,if Nico hadn't messed up his first two Q3s he might've had 3 poles and who knows what scenarios that opens.

This is the closest grid in recent history I think,and the best driver will win it,there won't be a best/dominant car they all develop at equal rates so I'm highly confident that the "Best Driver" will win it all. ;)

Whomever that may be.

#2067 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:30

You must admit, MW played it perfectly, getting JB a healthy extra 10sec by putting LH in traffic.

My eyes! :rotfl:

#2068 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:31

The lap before Hamilton pitted he was losing time to JB, I think they had no choice, though it did cost him so much time.

#2069 P123

P123

• 8,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:32

So far this year we've seen a more timid Lewis, with a streak of three 3rd places. Impressive, but not really according to the style you became a fan of, now is it?

Ah, so no comfort to be made in criticising his approach... so spin that into questionning his 'fans' instead... Impressive even for this topic. A timid LH.. let's see..... generally slower than his teammate in Oz, in a race of his own in Malaysia and lots of overtaking today. But if not pranging into everything and anything he is passing is 'timid' then I'm all for it.

#2070 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:35

What I find interesting though is how many fans of Lewis explained to be his fan purely because of his style. I even seem to remember some saying that they didn't really care whether he finished a race or not, as long as he tried to win the race and gave it his all etc.

He seemed to have a good go with Webber. I think there is a misconception that because Lewis has been consistent and not getting involved in incidents, that he is cruising, this just isn't true. In Aus he had a poor get away and didn't have the pace of Button. In Malaysia the McLaren's didn't looks so strong in the changeable conditions, however Lewis was asking his race engineer where he could find more time, so obviously he was trying. Someone just posted part of an interview with Lewis after this very race, in which he was quoted to say that he thinks he got everything out of the car he could today. Clearly he is trying, he has also had elements outside of his control every race weekend so far this season, that has hampered his progress.

#2071 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:36

Ah, so no comfort to be made in criticising his approach... so spin that into questionning his 'fans' instead... Impressive even for this topic. A timid LH.. let's see..... generally slower than his teammate in Oz, in a race of his own in Malaysia and lots of overtaking today. But if not pranging into everything and anything he is passing is 'timid' then I'm all for it.

Hard to argue he doesn't seem to be more careful? I don't understand why you have to put my post down.

#2072 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,615 posts

@Lights:

I'm a Lewis Hamilton fan, and you can find numerous posts from me in 2010 and 2011. where I've written that he needs to use the approach of picking up good points, and better risk managament.

#2073 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

TBH, I feel the same.

But thats only because things haven't been going Hamilton's way, and now that Hamilton knows he has a competitive car he won't be wreckless like last year, which means you can't put your faith in Button either because he's a little too slow in qualifying. To back Button they need to get rid of Hamilton, he's too quick on a Saturday and thus too frequently will take a points position away from Button.

McLaren need to focus and back 1 driver. Otherwise they'll throw the WDC away. I feel it should be Hamilton, he is the future, and Button groomed to retire in an ambassador role for McLaren helping them to be perceived as less of a 'grey' team.

Already we are seeing McLaren drivers taking points off each other.

Redbull last year and Ferrari before that: they collect their points in 1 basket, not 2, thats why they build big leads, whereas we probably never will.

I don't agree with the #1 driver policy as long as other teams are doing the same(like in 2007 with Ferrari and BMW).
Problem is, if RB fix their problems and go behind VET.. that will not end very well.

#2074 as65p

as65p

• 17,157 posts

A bit late to the party with that one as65p, its been covered or is that covered up. :lol:

So the local summit is that they favoured Button again but then favoured Hamilton to cover it up? McLaren really are the evild lords of darkness, eh? :drunk:

Nothing new, but really, there's no limit to the amount of paranoia in a conspiracy theory.  ;)

#2075 P123

P123

• 8,093 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:38

The lap before Hamilton pitted he was losing time to JB, I think they had no choice, though it did cost him so much time.

At the first stop? That was to cover Webber. Kimi and LH followed each other in, either to cover Webber or because JB was holidng them up at that stage and they were hoping to get the jump on him.

#2076 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:38

I don't think they should be mentioned alongside any other names from 20 years ago. They are who they are.

In what way was he 'timid' today? He was slower than JB in Australia, not timid. In Malaysia, he was slower than the cars in front and faster than the cars behind for the majority of the race - out on his own. He was timid with his race starts last year towards the end, and indecisive with his racecraft. That was completely the opposite today, and it's been the only time this season that he's found himself fighting in traffic and can genuinely be judged on whether or not he's being 'timid'. This year his only remaining question mark has been his race-pace on these tyres, but it was good today.

#2077 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:39

Lewis clearly wasn't timid in the race, he overtook lots of cars, many under breaking. looking at Lights' comments I'm not sure he watched the race very closely.

#2078 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:39

At the first stop? That was to cover Webber. Kimi and LH followed each other in, either to cover Webber or because JB was holidng them up at that stage and they were hoping to get the jump on him.

The second stop I was talking about - though I was surprised how short his second stint was, and then further surprised JB stopped only a lap later.

#2079 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:40

He seemed to have a good go with Webber. I think there is a misconception that because Lewis has been consistent and not getting involved in incidents, that he is cruising, this just isn't true. In Aus he had a poor get away and didn't have the pace of Button. In Malaysia the McLaren's didn't looks so strong in the changeable conditions, however Lewis was asking his race engineer where he could find more time, so obviously he was trying. Someone just posted part of an interview with Lewis after this very race, in which he was quoted to say that he thinks he got everything out of the car he could today. Clearly he is trying, he has also had elements outside of his control every race weekend so far this season, that has hampered his progress.

Fair enough, it's probably a misconception of me then. :up:

Advertisement

#2080 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:40

Hard to argue he doesn't seem to be more careful? I don't understand why you have to put my post down.

How was he timid today though? Because he didn't crash?

#2081 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:42

Lewis clearly wasn't timid in the race, he overtook lots of cars, many under breaking. looking at Lights' comments I'm not sure he watched the race very closely.

Very very closely... but to be fair, it was quite spectacular throughout the field and that made it harder to follow than usual.

And with 'more timid' I definitely didn't want come across like I thought Lewis was too scared to overtake.

#2082 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:45

I don't agree with the #1 driver policy as long as other teams are doing the same(like in 2007 with Ferrari and BMW).
Problem is, if RB fix their problems and go behind VET.. that will not end very well.

I don't 'morally' agree with it either.

BUT, we already know if they or Ferrari fix their problems they will get behind a single driver.

So why do we wait and suffer consequencely? we should do the same right now and build that cushty lead while we have the performance edge because its high unlikely we will hold the advantage all season. We barely have an advantage anyway, which is more case to back 1 driver. IF the shoe was on the other foot, they would be doing that right now.

Team orders are legal so we should do it.

An analogy is todays race. Teams like RBR/Ferrari were being very agressive and we had to cover them off.

But we need to cover them off 'from the bigger picture WDC approach' also. This we fail at.

Edited by ZooL, 15 April 2012 - 11:49.

#2083 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:46

Fair enough, it's probably a misconception of me then. :up:

Lights I do understand your posts and your standpoint. The post about Jenson being favoured, being lucky, only knowing how to cruise and collect while Lewis is a driving god are ridiculous.

#2084 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47

Very very closely... but to be fair, it was quite spectacular throughout the field and that made it harder to follow than usual.

And with 'more timid' I definitely didn't want come across like I thought Lewis was too scared to overtake.

If you watch Hamilton's pre-f1 career, his race craft is a whole blend of things, he usually bided his time for the right moment to pass, and he wasn't always full gung-ho as some people tend to think - he raced intelligently. 2011 is very much the exception - he was more aggressive than he had been before (in the first half of the season), and then more indecisive and 'timid' towards the end.

BTW JB was every bit as brilliant in traffic today as Hamilton was, it's not like Hamilton is the only person capable of that type of performance.

#2085 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:47

How was he timid today though? Because he didn't crash?

I seem to remember he used to go for the occasional lunge. And successfully. You sensed the danger if he was closely behind another driver. Overtakes that made my eyes widen, on places you didn't expect.

Now he just seems like anyone in traffic. Perhaps it's just me. Probably just me. I'll pack my bags. :)

#2086 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:49

I thoguht his approach to overtaking today could be described as controlled aggression, evident when he had a few sniffs down the inside of Massa into T1 and one of the Williams in T6 and backed out of it, biding his time, which is an improvement over some of the moves from last year.

#2087 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:50

I seem to remember he used to go for the occasional lunge. And successfully. You sensed the danger if he was closely behind another driver. Overtakes that made my eyes widen, on places you didn't expect.

Now he just seems like anyone in traffic. Perhaps it's just me. Probably just me. I'll pack my bags. :)

I grimaced plenty of times today, he had a great battle with Webber into turn one and two side by side, and almost passed him there, and then did pass him with an out-braking manoeuvre into turn 6 hairpin straight after. I think it was all kicking off ahead of him at that point with JB as well so I don't blame you if you missed that.

#2088 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:51

Pirelli's can't sustain that type of driving sadly, you're right that he is more neutered on this new rubber, he's had to adjust his style and that means being less aggressive.

#2089 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:53

I thoguht his approach to overtaking today could be described as controlled aggression, evident when he had a few sniffs down the inside of Massa into T1 and one of the Williams in T6 and backed out of it, biding his time, which is an improvement over some of the moves from last year.

Exactly. A strength of Hamilton's racecraft has always been how he has bided his time, but was always decisive with it and didn't hold back when commiting to an overtake. Guys like Webber, and Vettel to an extent look a little less comfortable in this sense (though Vettel has actually been brilliant in the races this year, scrape with Narain aside).

#2090 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54

@Lights:

I'm a Lewis Hamilton fan, and you can find numerous posts from me in 2010 and 2011. where I've written that he needs to use the approach of picking up good points, and better risk managament.

I hoped I didn't write 'Hamilton fans' in general again! But you must be happy then because it seems like he's doing exactly that, and it gave him the lead in the championship. Button is the one that let himself down so far this season and I hate it when he does that.

#2091 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:54

For a start the Pirelli tyres don't reward you for being agressive. Lewis has learnt this the hard way.

Also last year he didn't have a competitive car to mount a serious WDC challenge and he knew it, so he was far more gung-ho and not focussed because I sense he don't care as much when he knows he can't win.

But now he knows he's in serious contention so will race accordingly.

#2092 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,158 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:55

Good effort from both of them.

I didn't think Hamilton was particularly timid nor Button particularly incisive. Both just did some good clean overtaking when the opportunity arose. Button was behind vettel and raikkonnen for an awful long time and likewise Hamilton struggled when behind others. Some real heart in mouth stuff though at times - hamilton taking massa, also hamilton on webber/kimi. All pretty busy. Jenson really lost his advantage in qualifying - I've been really surprised to see so many on here saying that qualifying doesn't really matter and it's the race that counts. If Jenson had qualified better he wouldn't've been stuck in any of that traffic - he could've been on the front row and been in a much better position. With the grid so close, the few tenths that Hamilton appears to have on Button in qualifying could mean the difference of several rows on the grid which will have a huge impact on how the races pan out. As it was, both managed to salvage something today but Button I feel missed an opportunity with a poor show on Saturday.

Edited by bonjon1979a, 15 April 2012 - 11:56.

#2093 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:57

I don't 'morally' agree with it either.

BUT, we already know if they or Ferrari fix their problems they will get behind a single driver.

So why do we wait and suffer consequencely? we should do the same right now and build that cushty lead while we have the performance edge because its high unlikely we will hold the advantage all season. We barely have an advantage anyway, which is more case to back 1 driver. IF the shoe was on the other foot, they would be doing that right now.

Team orders are legal so we should do it.

An analogy is todays race. Teams like RBR/Ferrari were being very agressive and we had to cover them off.

But we need to cover them off 'from the bigger picture WDC approach' also. This we fail at.

I understand what you mean.
Talking about RedBull we should remember last year race in China where VET did the exact same strategy with 2 stops and was really struggling.
I'm not that sure that this RB8 is slow(looking at their performance today), and i expect them to surprise "us" in Barcellona.

RB guys should be happy.

Edited by revlec, 15 April 2012 - 11:59.

#2094 BuzzingHornet

BuzzingHornet

• 5,984 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:57

The excuses and whining found here whenever Button beats Hamilton are pretty tiresome. Some people seem to have a very tenuous grip on reality.

Button is every bit as good as Lewis. There is no holy entitlement of one driver over the other... Get used to it.

If there were team orders for Lewis Button would leave... And would you really want to push him into a Redbull?

#2095 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:58

Lights I do understand your posts and your standpoint. The post about Jenson being favoured, being lucky, only knowing how to cruise and collect while Lewis is a driving god are ridiculous.

Very nice to read, thank you :up:

Perhaps those posts sometimes get to me, resulting in me writing similar bs. Nobody's perfect.

#2096 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:59

Pirelli's can't sustain that type of driving sadly, you're right that he is more neutered on this new rubber, he's had to adjust his style and that means being less aggressive.

I think its more his mindset in terms of overtaking today, he didn't need to make any risky lunges- he had good racepace and could afford to bide his time waiting for a less risky opportunity to get infront. Ofcourse it meant that he was losing time compared to the leader, but his mindset right now is to be consistent- and it's working!
But I'm sure if he had more of a chance at winning he would be more aggressive on the overtakes, its all a balancing act and he's doing pretty well so far :)

#2097 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:03

Good effort from both of them.

I didn't think Hamilton was particularly timid nor Button particularly incisive. Both just did some good clean overtaking when the opportunity arose. Button was behind vettel and raikkonnen for an awful long time and likewise Hamilton struggled when behind others. Some real heart in mouth stuff though at times - hamilton taking massa, also hamilton on webber/kimi. All pretty busy. Jenson really lost his advantage in qualifying - I've been really surprised to see so many on here saying that qualifying doesn't really matter and it's the race that counts. If Jenson had qualified better he wouldn't've been stuck in any of that traffic - he could've been on the front row and been in a much better position. With the grid so close, the few tenths that Hamilton appears to have on Button in qualifying could mean the difference of several rows on the grid which will have a huge impact on how the races pan out. As it was, both managed to salvage something today but Button I feel missed an opportunity with a poor show on Saturday.

I think this is a misconception. Don't forget Jenson had a good start and was in 3rd place already. He could not really keep up the pace with Schumacher, let alone Rosberg. Raikkonen behind him appeared to be faster at this stage of the race, possibly because his engine requires less fuel. But no, I really think traffic was unavoidable today. Same for Lewis. Perhaps had he been ahead of Schumacher, the traffic would be a bit less, but avoid it? No way. I don't see how he could have kept up with Rosberg/drove away from Schumacher. McLaren simply did not have that pace today, especially in the first stint.

#2098 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:04

I think its more his mindset in terms of overtaking today, he didn't need to make any risky lunges- he had good racepace and could afford to bide his time waiting for a less risky opportunity to get infront. Ofcourse it meant that he was losing time compared to the leader, but his mindset right now is to be consistent- and it's working!
But I'm sure if he had more of a chance at winning he would be more aggressive on the overtakes, its all a balancing act and he's doing pretty well so far :)

Not sure I fully agree, on a few occasions we saw him close in the breaking zone to Perez where on BS he would have made the lunge into the hairpin - now if you do that you risk ruining the life of your tyre - a lot of that is to do with the Pirelli's. However, there's no doubt he'll want no repeat of last seasons antics and will be taking a more measured approach and he has said himself he's looking for consistency. I think he drove very well today.

#2099 Wingnut

Wingnut

• 710 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:05

Lewis appeared to make a number of his passes outside of the DRS zone, turn 6 was a favourite if I remember rightly.

Advertisement

#2100 Masenco

Masenco

• 819 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:05

In terms of Lewis vs Jenson, I have to say that Lewis seems to have had the upper hand this weekend.
In qually he was faster and was also slightly faster in the race and had to overtake more people too- although Jenson was also pretty much just as fast.

Both of their race pace's are very close, should be a great season!