Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#2101 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:07

In terms of Lewis vs Jenson, I have to say that Lewis seems to have had the upper hand this weekend.
In qually he was faster and was also slightly faster in the race and had to overtake more people too- although Jenson was also pretty much just as fast.

Both of their race pace's are very close, should be a great season!

When?

Advertisement

#2102 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:08

For me this season is already better than last. 3 different winners from 3 different teams.

#2103 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,064 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:09

For a start the Pirelli tyres don't reward you for being agressive. Lewis has learnt this the hard way.

Also last year he didn't have a competitive car to mount a serious WDC challenge and he knew it, so he was far more gung-ho and not focussed because I sense he don't care as much when he knows he can't win.

But now he knows he's in serious contention so will race accordingly.

What's that supposed to mean? Jenson was in the same car last year, did you see him going gung-ho? And also I disagree with a previous post you made about McLaren having to give Lewis n.1 status in the team. What has Lewis done in the past 3 seasons alongside Button that is so spectacular that he should get n.1 status? He is leading Jenson by two points, 3 races in where Jenson didn't even finish in the points in the last race (his mistake, his fault by the way).

#2104 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:12

I'm frankly amazed people are still talking at all about him being 'timid'. He simply wasn't timid at all today, anyone who watched him reasonably close today would see that. It just makes me think how powerful and hard to eradicate preconceptions are - so many people have been talking about his timidity this season it's as if people are believing it because it's the new conventional wisdom and not because they've decided on it properly for themselves.

#2105 Masenco

Masenco

• 814 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:13

When?

If you look at their lap times in clean air it seems Lewis is marginally faster, I didn't work out the averages if your wondering so it could just be my bias speaking lol

#2106 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,612 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:13

I think this is a misconception. Don't forget Jenson had a good start and was in 3rd place already. He could not really keep up the pace with Schumacher, let alone Rosberg. Raikkonen behind him appeared to be faster at this stage of the race, possibly because his engine requires less fuel. But no, I really think traffic was unavoidable today. Same for Lewis. Perhaps had he been ahead of Schumacher, the traffic would be a bit less, but avoid it? No way. I don't see how he could have kept up with Rosberg/drove away from Schumacher. McLaren simply did not have that pace today, especially in the first stint.

True that, Mercedes was just better car today. Also, at one point it even looked like a Button train, and it was clear that guys behind both McLarens were very close.

McLaren looks great in quali, and on low fuel, but leaves little to be desired with full tank.

However, its a good prospect for any race. If you get good start positions, and enter race strongly (lets say 1-2 McLarens into first corner) then you can even allow yourself to have a small 'train' behind.

#2107 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:14

If you look at their lap times in clean air it seems Lewis is marginally faster, I didn't work out the averages if your wondering so it could just be my bias speaking lol

Which laps are you looking at?

#2108 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:16

The excuses and whining found here whenever Button beats Hamilton are pretty tiresome. Some people seem to have a very tenuous grip on reality.

Button is every bit as good as Lewis. There is no holy entitlement of one driver over the other... Get used to it.

If there were team orders for Lewis Button would leave... And would you really want to push him into a Redbull?

Button isn't every bit as good as Lewis. If that was the case Button would not have qualified in P5. That ruined his Sunday. He should have won today, but instead being a slower qualifier hurt him evidently when the other cars are closer in performance.

As for Button leaving, well I believe McLaren should make the same choice like RBR and Ferrari have.

After seeing how competitive Button is I don't think either RBR or Ferrari would hire him because it doesn't fit in with their approach of going for the WDC and unsettling their #1 drivers. In fact by your own reasoning he wouldn't go to RBR or Ferrari because it would be the exact same reason for why he would leave McLaren!

Edited by ZooL, 15 April 2012 - 12:17.

#2109 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Which laps are you looking at?

Interestingly the fastest laps set by both drivers were lap 40 for Hamilton and then 56 (the final lap) for JB. I'm not making any point in that, just odd to be so far apart in time of the race and yet only a tenth in it.

#2110 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,004 posts

In addition I think when Hamilton starts racing at the front cleanly we may start seeing that Button looking after his tyres won't help because the undercut (i.e. pitting 1st) is always advantageous (as long as Hamilton's FINAL pitstop of the race is not to early for the tyres to hit that cliff).

I think in clean weekends racing at the front, the best chance of Button finishing ahead is by beating Hamilton in qualifying.

This is why I think Hamilton is favourite for the WDC as long as McLaren can still provide the car throughout the season.

Yeah, like today :D

No, it will be by being better than him in the race like today and Aus.

#2111 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:17

I seem to remember he used to go for the occasional lunge. And successfully. You sensed the danger if he was closely behind another driver. Overtakes that made my eyes widen, on places you didn't expect.

Now he just seems like anyone in traffic. Perhaps it's just me. Probably just me. I'll pack my bags. :)

He did have a "lunge" at Maldonado,Senna and Massa.Not the safest of the bunch.

It's just you.

#2112 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:18

In what way was he better in the race today than Hamilton? I'd call that one a definite draw.

#2113 stillOrange

stillOrange

• 896 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:19

Don't know if this was posted here. Here is a nice interview with Jenson. They mention the "who's first to pit" issue a bit. Jenson also said that he was surprised by Lewis going in first and that probably he just took the risk of going into the traffic.
BBC interview with Jenson after Chinese GP
I presume this is available for UK audience only :(

#2114 P123

P123

• 7,915 posts

When?

In the first stint? 1.5s to 1s. All very marginal. On balance JB edged it today on race pace...and that is based on the sole part of the race where they were running unhindered by traffic: in the second stint where the gap went from 2.1s, down to 1.6s and then back out to 2.4s.

#2115 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,066 posts

He did have a "lunge" at Maldonado,Senna and Massa.Not the safest of the bunch.

It's just you.

I prefer to call it a 'sniff'.

#2116 Masenco

Masenco

• 814 posts

Not sure I fully agree, on a few occasions we saw him close in the breaking zone to Perez where on BS he would have made the lunge into the hairpin - now if you do that you risk ruining the life of your tyre - a lot of that is to do with the Pirelli's. However, there's no doubt he'll want no repeat of last seasons antics and will be taking a more measured approach and he has said himself he's looking for consistency. I think he drove very well today.

I'm not sure if braking late for one corner would really effect the tyres enough to outweigh the benefits of clearing a slower car

#2117 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,006 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:21

In terms of Lewis vs Jenson, I have to say that Lewis seems to have had the upper hand this weekend.
In qually he was faster and was also slightly faster in the race and had to overtake more people too- although Jenson was also pretty much just as fast.

Both of their race pace's are very close, should be a great season!

The very least you can say is that they were pretty even. In the race there was no moment when JB was slower then LH.

#2118 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:21

Interestingly the fastest laps set by both drivers were lap 40 for Hamilton and then 56 (the final lap) for JB. I'm not making any point in that, just odd to be so far apart in time of the race and yet only a tenth in it.

I agree that's a bit odd.
I can't see how anyone can conclude Hamilton was 'a bit faster' in the race today though - maybe I'm missing something, hence my question about which laps are being considered.

#2119 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:23

In the first stint? 1.5s to 1s. All very marginal. On balance JB edged it today on race pace...and that is based on the sole part of the race where they were running unhindered by traffic: in the second stint where the gap went from 2.1s, down to 1.6s and then back out to 2.4s.

That's about what I thought.

Advertisement

#2120 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:25

I'm not sure if braking late for one corner would really effect the tyres enough to outweigh the benefits of clearing a slower car

It all depends on how it's executed, but many drivers have said you can ruin a pair of these tyres on one corner alone.

#2121 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:27

I prefer to call it a 'sniff'.

Well if by lunge ya'll mean crashing/losing wings,tires then OK,a ''sniff'' it is and LH is a p**** :rolleyes:

He was bashed for inconsistency and now for consistency and not lunging and being timid :drunk:

It must have hit hard he's leading WDC and hasn't even shown his best or won a race and had bad fortune all3 races :clap:

#2122 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:28

I think this is a misconception. Don't forget Jenson had a good start and was in 3rd place already. He could not really keep up the pace with Schumacher, let alone Rosberg. Raikkonen behind him appeared to be faster at this stage of the race, possibly because his engine requires less fuel. But no, I really think traffic was unavoidable today. Same for Lewis. Perhaps had he been ahead of Schumacher, the traffic would be a bit less, but avoid it? No way. I don't see how he could have kept up with Rosberg/drove away from Schumacher. McLaren simply did not have that pace today, especially in the first stint.

I disagree. Had he been on the front row he wouldn't've lost time skirmishing and maintaining that 3rd place. He would've been on Nico's gearbox which would've put him in a better position throughout the race. In this instance the bad pitstop makes that a moot point but if Button continues to qualify further back than hamilton it will start to have an impact on his race results which is kind of an obvious statement to make but there you have it.

#2123 Masenco

Masenco

• 814 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:29

It all depends on how it's executed, but many drivers have said you can ruin a pair of these tyres on one corner alone.

Oh really? I guess there is probably an element of that then

#2124 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:32

Button would never be ahead of Hamilton without Hamilton's penalty. You know Hamilton won't get a penalty every race, if Button continues to qualify as bad as this week then Hamilton will beat him every race comfortably. The race is of course more important but in some races quality is way more important than some people think.

:drunk: What planet are you on?

I think you shouldnt diminish the fact that qualifying is still important, also remember Jenson got a good start upto 3rd place an average start would have compromised his race more

Did Perez look like he was "nursing" his tyres. He kept Hamilton behind though didn't he.

He was about to stop for tyres so wasnt too bothered about locking his tyres up in order to keep Lewis behind him

Yeah I thought that too, and thought it was instrumental in winning the race. Today during the battles for position DC mentioned him power sliding a lot and I think this may have offset the tire saving off turn 13 somewhat, as well as being in a hailstorm of traffic.

I noticed Lewis power sliding as well, that couldnt have been doing his tyres any good

bs mate,i think hamilton couldn't win any of these races.

Button was better on the first one,on the second alonso/perez were fasters and now he got a hell of race to do and rosberg i think was peerless.

I think he could get one third and two seconds with all perfect.

I think he could have won today if not for his penalty which was hardly his fault

I don't think so. BUT will outqualify HAM sometimes(Monaco for example or Barcellona) this year and we don't know if Mercedes will be competitive in the next races.
One thing is sure though: RB will win atleast once this year or even bag a Pole positon.

McLaren(and their drivers) had to capitalize this first 3 races, but they failed miserably. Had VET had this kind of team in 2011, BUT could have had a shot to the WDC last year.

What you forget is that at McLaren is that with car also comes the strategy

#2125 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,004 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:32

In what way was he better in the race today than Hamilton? I'd call that one a definite draw.

More efficient overtaking, better execution of strategy ie going fast at the right times and better use of tyres.

#2126 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,066 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:33

Well if by lunge ya'll mean crashing/losing wings,tires then OK,a ''sniff'' it is and LH is a p**** :rolleyes:

He was bashed for inconsistency and now for consistency and not lunging and being timid :drunk:

It must have hit hard he's leading WDC and hasn't even shown his best or won a race and had bad fortune all3 races :clap:

Not sure if that last line is intended at me because I'm as big a Lewis fan as there is out there and I'm loving the championship standings (check my avatar too). Also check the previous page where I praised Lewis biding his time and striking when the right opportunity presented itself, instead of as you say, perhaps damaging the car ala Massa incidents last year.

#2127 Lights

Lights

• 9,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:35

I disagree. Had he been on the front row he wouldn't've lost time skirmishing and maintaining that 3rd place. He would've been on Nico's gearbox which would've put him in a better position throughout the race. In this instance the bad pitstop makes that a moot point but if Button continues to qualify further back than hamilton it will start to have an impact on his race results which is kind of an obvious statement to make but there you have it.

Jenson couldn't even keep up with Schumacher. There's no way he would be on Nico's gearbox. Had he been second after the start it would not have changed much and he would've still finished second.

#2128 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:39

True,Hamilton won't always get penalized nor Schumi lose a wheel,if JB qualifies like China he'll find it harder,but then some hot races are coming up,all JB territory.

Who knows this is a crazy season,but Qualifying higher does help and it will hinder JB at times starting that low.He was fortunate today with the circumstances.

#2129 Masenco

Masenco

• 814 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:41

Jenson couldn't even keep up with Schumacher. There's no way he would be on Nico's gearbox. Had he been second after the start it would not have changed much and he would've still finished second.

We don't know how hard they were pushing at each part of the race, so its all relative and I don't think we can really say confidently either way. All you can say is that given the evidence that at some parts of the race Jenson and Lewis' pace seemed similar to Rosbergs they could have had a shot at the win if they started from the front

#2130 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:41

In this race, I agree that it wouldn't've made much difference but his pace wasn't remarkably different from Nico's. He lost time in the first couple of laps defending position and then did start to close in on schumacher. had he been second on the grid he might even have had a chance of overtaking Nico, back in 5th there was no chance of overtaking nico so clearly it would've been far better to be second on the grid. Qualifying 5th may've just been a freak result but if it happens at a track like Hungary, Singapore or Monaco then Button will be a huge price and those who suggest that qualifying doesn't really matter are absolutely crazy.

EDIT: at the end of last lap jb was down 2 seconds after fighting kimi and Michael, end of lap 3 it was 3.2 seconds as jb had to watch kimi in his mirrors and deal with being in michaels dirty air. Obviously being in 3rd rather than second hurt him

Edited by bonjon1979a, 15 April 2012 - 12:52.

#2131 MinT

MinT

• 1,991 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:45

Another solid 3rd for Hami in keeping with his new strategy.

Not sure however safe podiums are going to be quite enough for him as Button looks to be willing to be racey this year.

#2132 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,006 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:46

True,Hamilton won't always get penalized nor Schumi lose a wheel,if JB qualifies like China he'll find it harder,but then some hot races are coming up,all JB territory.

Who knows this is a crazy season,but Qualifying higher does help and it will hinder JB at times starting that low.He was fortunate today with the circumstances.

True, but nowadays you have an unique option to set the car for better qualifying: longer gears, harder on the tires. It will benefit you on saturday, but where will you finish on sunday? We will never know if the saturday result is a real team/driver pace. I'm sure JB could qualify a couple of places higher in China, but that would compromise his race pace today which was as good if not better than LH'.

#2133 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,870 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:48

In clear air, Jenson had the pace but Michael slowed Jenson down and then he was sticking to tyre management. It's clear this year that if you get the lead early on you can dictate the race and win it. Front row is everything this year because the pace between the cars is very similar.

#2134 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:48

He will hopefully be less fortunate with his pitstops further on, clocking some 3,7 second ones instead of 9,7 ones putting him in traffic. I find it a bit rich you repeatedly calling him fortunate today. Fortunate compared to whom?

#2135 Lights

Lights

• 9,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:50

In this race, I agree that it wouldn't've made much difference but his pace wasn't remarkably different from Nico's. He lost time in the first couple of laps defending position and then did start to close in on schumacher. had he been second on the grid he might even have had a chance of overtaking Nico, back in 5th there was no chance of overtaking nico so clearly it would've been far better to be second on the grid. Qualifying 5th may've just been a freak result but if it happens at a track like Hungary, Singapore or Monaco then Button will be a huge price and those who suggest that qualifying doesn't really matter are absolutely crazy.

Nobody is suggesting that qualifying doesn't matter, but for this particular race and how it panned out, starting 2nd or 5th did not matter at all. Not saying it's not important, in other races it might affect him indeed. Qualifying has never been his strongest point so I suspect he will qualify behind the front row quite often.

#2136 Lights

Lights

• 9,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:51

In clear air, Jenson had the pace but Michael slowed Jenson down and then he was sticking to tyre management. It's clear this year that if you get the lead early on you can dictate the race and win it. Front row is everything this year because the pace between the cars is very similar.

Michael showed Jenson down? Didn't look like that all. If that was the case Jenson would have tried closing the gap once DRS was enabled, but he couldn't get near him.

#2137 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:57

Not much happened in that stint though. They both tried to close to Rosberg but that kinda failed. I don't see any reason why it disadvantaged Hamilton more.

Because Lewis had to deal with more traffic

I don't think they should be mentioned alongside any other names from 20 years ago. They are who they are.

What I find interesting though is how many fans of Lewis explained to be his fan purely because of his style. I even seem to remember some saying that they didn't really care whether he finished a race or not, as long as he tried to win the race and gave it his all etc.

So far this year we've seen a more timid Lewis, with a streak of three 3rd places. Impressive, but not really according to the style you became a fan of, now is it?

The style has had to change to a degree because of the Pirelli tyres

TBH, I feel the same.

But thats only because things haven't been going Hamilton's way, and now that Hamilton knows he has a competitive car he won't be wreckless like last year, which means you can't put your faith in Button either because he's a little too slow in qualifying. To back Button they need to get rid of Hamilton, he's too quick on a Saturday and thus too frequently will take a points position away from Button.

McLaren need to focus and back 1 driver. Otherwise they'll throw the WDC away. I feel it should be Hamilton, he is the future, and Button groomed to retire in an ambassador role for McLaren helping them to be perceived as less of a 'grey' team.

Already we are seeing McLaren drivers taking points off each other.

Redbull last year and Ferrari before that: they collect their points in 1 basket, not 2, thats why they build big leads, whereas we probably never will.

That doesnt really matter as much when we have so many competitve cars and drivers are taking points off one another left right and centre

The second stop I was talking about - though I was surprised how short his second stint was, and then further surprised JB stopped only a lap later.

Thats basically because they put on the wrong tyres which were no quicker than the mediums and degraded faster

#2138 ImDDAA

ImDDAA

• 3,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:59

I don't think Jenson had the pace on Schumacher at all.

#2139 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:59

Michael showed Jenson down? Didn't look like that all. If that was the case Jenson would have tried closing the gap once DRS was enabled, but he couldn't get near him.

You don't seem to grasp that being in dirty air and defending against cars using drs slows you down. Jb lost 4 seconds in first 5 laps because of it. Go back and look at the live timing and you'll see.

edit: as late as lap 9 jb was within a second of msc

Edited by bonjon1979a, 15 April 2012 - 13:01.

Advertisement

#2140 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:16

He will hopefully be less fortunate with his pitstops further on, clocking some 3,7 second ones instead of 9,7 ones putting him in traffic. I find it a bit rich you repeatedly calling him fortunate today. Fortunate compared to whom?

Hamilton/penalty,Schum/tire both qualified ahead and could have easily finished ahead if not for circumstances. Even minus the 6extra seconds JB would still be some 20 seconds behind with 16 laps to go and with only 5-6 lap fresher tires. Today was Nico's day so JB lost nothing with that pitstop,his tires would have been done at the end from pushing anyway.

#2141 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,571 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:19

There was absolutely nothing between Lewis and Jenson today imo. I thought they both drove superbly.

#2142 Lights

Lights

• 9,300 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:21

You don't seem to grasp that being in dirty air and defending against cars using drs slows you down. Jb lost 4 seconds in first 5 laps because of it. Go back and look at the live timing and you'll see.

edit: as late as lap 9 jb was within a second of msc

Lol. I'm quite confident that I can see it when someone is being held up. This wasn't Jenson doing his 'tyre saving'-mode. This was Jenson not being able to close down Schumacher, while not being able to get rid of Raikkonen. He wasn't held up whatsoever. The team pushed him to get out of Raikkonens DRS range but he couldn't. Not that he was losing time 'defending'. I didn't see him make a single defensive move, so you're making this up. After a couple of laps he asked the team "How close was I to the DRS of Michael?". He was trying to close him down but he couldn't till, indeed like you say, lap 9. Dirty air is not such an issue if you're 1,5 seconds behind. If you're really quicker, you don't fall back that much. Don't tell me that I don't seem to grasp simple stuff like this. You claiming he lost 4 seconds in the first 5 laps because of Schumacher on the other hand is just grabbing numbers out of the air.

#2143 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:35

I seem to remember he used to go for the occasional lunge. And successfully. You sensed the danger if he was closely behind another driver. Overtakes that made my eyes widen, on places you didn't expect.

Now he just seems like anyone in traffic. Perhaps it's just me. Probably just me. I'll pack my bags. :)

I think Lewis has learned that some drivers are prepared to have a crash with him, it was Jackie Stewart who said last year that Lewis shouldnt leave himself vulnerable to such drivers

You think that if Lewis had not had his grid penalty then Jenson would still have beat him?

#2144 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:41

You think that if Lewis had not had his grid penalty then Jenson would still have beat him?

Possibly.
He had marginally more pace in the race, as well as making his tyres last marginally better.
If they'd had Schumacher between them at turn 1 then it would depend to some degree on whether LH could drive away from him.

It would be silly to claim a yes or no as a certainty though.

#2145 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 3,084 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:43

Lol. I'm quite confident that I can see it when someone is being held up. This wasn't Jenson doing his 'tyre saving'-mode. This was Jenson not being able to close down Schumacher, while not being able to get rid of Raikkonen. He wasn't held up whatsoever. The team pushed him to get out of Raikkonens DRS range but he couldn't. Not that he was losing time 'defending'. I didn't see him make a single defensive move, so you're making this up. After a couple of laps he asked the team "How close was I to the DRS of Michael?". He was trying to close him down but he couldn't till, indeed like you say, lap 9. Dirty air is not such an issue if you're 1,5 seconds behind. If you're really quicker, you don't fall back that much. Don't tell me that I don't seem to grasp simple stuff like this. You claiming he lost 4 seconds in the first 5 laps because of Schumacher on the other hand is just grabbing numbers out of the air.

I'm not grabbing any numbers out of the air - all of it is taken from the live timing app that I've just rewatched. You're clearly clueless about how turbulent air can effect these cars if you think that Jenson's aero wouldn't be effected when he spent most of his time around 1 second behind Msc. We've heard teams talk about dirty air effecting cars that are up to 2 seconds behind.

So you honestly think that Jenson was free to just think about putting in the lap times and wasn't concerned about what was going on behind? We didn't get to see a lot of what was going on in the first few laps because of FOM's crazy habit of showing dozens of repeats of the start when the first couple of laps are running. I'm not going to carry on discussing this with you because you've decided what you think. Personally, I remain convinced that had button been 2nd on the grid he wouldn't've lost so much time and would've been closer to nico at the first round of pitstops.

Edited by bonjon1979a, 15 April 2012 - 13:43.

#2146 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,083 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:45

Good to see this page is lively this morning...

A couple of points:

Jenson's poor qualifying was a result of colder than expected temperatures. Won't happen often.

If they wore the same helmet, would it even be possible to tell the to McLaren drivers apart in the race?

#2147 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:46

Another solid 3rd for Hami in keeping with his new strategy.

Not sure however safe podiums are going to be quite enough for him as Button looks to be willing to be racey this year.

Well once he has some clean races we'll probably see some race wins

Nobody is suggesting that qualifying doesn't matter, but for this particular race and how it panned out, starting 2nd or 5th did not matter at all. Not saying it's not important, in other races it might affect him indeed. Qualifying has never been his strongest point so I suspect he will qualify behind the front row quite often.

You dont think it would have mattered without Lewis's penalty?

#2148 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,176 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:49

Good to see this page is lively this morning...

A couple of points:

Jenson's poor qualifying was a result of colder than expected temperatures. Won't happen often.

If they wore the same helmet, would it even be possible to tell the to McLaren drivers apart in the race?

re the helmets - i agree.

Lewis has realised that there is only one way to race the pirellis. Jenson realised that sooner.

Imo i think Hamiltons qually pace will put him ahead of Jenson this season. Its going to be really close though. Jenson was a little lucky hamilton had the penalty as it hink the result would have been the other way around.. I dont think Jensons pits stop issue changed the result in the end. At least it should put some of the bias theories to rest though.

Edited by gricey1981, 15 April 2012 - 13:51.

#2149 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:51

Possibly.
He had marginally more pace in the race, as well as making his tyres last marginally better.
If they'd had Schumacher between them at turn 1 then it would depend to some degree on whether LH could drive away from him.

How many ontrack passes were there amongst the top drivers on the same strategy?

#2150 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:54

Possibly.

Well he would have had to pass Lewis on the track plus the poor pitstop would have probably sealed it for Lewis