Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#201 P123

P123

• 8,608 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:14

Lewis wasn't slow the gap before the first pits was like 3-4 seconds jenson was just a little bit quicker.
Lewis shouldn't be down he's got a podium, he should be very strong in malaysia.
Great drive by jenson absolutely perfect :up:

Agreed. On to the next race. JB still with his great form from last season and LH disappointed with 3rd (better than being disappointed with yet another DNF).

Advertisement

#202 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,454 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:14

LH had a bad start and was desperately unlucky to lose 2nd. Why should he look happy with that?

#203 BenettonB192

BenettonB192

• 855 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:15

Congrats to Jenson. Perfect race. :up:

#204 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 3,102 posts

How many drivers can you remember that were annoyed that they only came in third in the first race? Or any race?

All of them if third comes in a dominant car, from pole and their teammate wins. Living a dream is only important the moment you land the gig, after that it becomes the norm and you have new goals to get the same level of exitement. It's what makes us normal.

Out of the top three he had the biggest reason to be pissed and yeah, he indeed was.

#205 robefc

robefc

• 8,087 posts

Because he's supposed to be living his dream of being a Formula One driver and he's on the podium of the first race of the year. How many drivers can you remember that were annoyed that they only came in third in the first race? Or any race?

Being annoyed is a sign of weakness and it's unproductive. The mechanics won't like it either.

Think about what Jenson would be doing if the situation was reversed - he'd be all smiles and saying how it's great to start the year with a podium (just ask Michael and Nico about the start of their year) and how he'd be trying to get one back on Lewis in Malaysia next week. He certainly wouldn't be pouting like a child.

Sorry, I'm just disappointed that he hasn't figured this out yet. I really thought he had matured a lot in the off season, but right now it appears not. Let's hope I'm wrong.

I nearly replied to your initial post but after consideration I think I agree with you.

He reminds me of when i was a kid and couldn't handle losing (or my team losing), as you mature you keep things in perspective. and use the annoyance constructively. Now it might take a while for him to get 'un'pissef off internally but in the meantime exude confidence etc, dont be so bloody transparent, JB must be grinning inside thinking lewis is so delicate and emotional.

#206 Coral

Coral

• 2,829 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:16

Well, that's that. Congrats Jenson. It seems that Lewis has finally lost the tremendous speed and flair that made me his fan in 2007. I don't know what has happened to him, but he's no longer the driver of old. So you win Jenson fans. :cry:

#207 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:16

Because he's supposed to be living his dream of being a Formula One driver and he's on the podium of the first race of the year. How many drivers can you remember that were annoyed that they only came in third in the first race? Or any race?

Being annoyed is a sign of weakness and it's unproductive. The mechanics won't like it either.

Think about what Jenson would be doing if the situation was reversed - he'd be all smiles and saying how it's great to start the year with a podium (just ask Michael and Nico about the start of their year) and how he'd be trying to get one back on Lewis in Malaysia next week. He certainly wouldn't be pouting like a child.

Sorry, I'm just disappointed that he hasn't figured this out yet. I really thought he had matured a lot in the off season, but right now it appears not. Let's hope I'm wrong.

This line is as old as sin. Some of "us" should be just happy to be here, on planet earth, that is.

#208 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:17

Couldn't disagree more.
Button might gain a psychological edge from winning the race, but how is LH supposed to be / look happy with 3rd?

He could take a look at how happy Alonso was finishing 5th. He could also be excited to battle Jenson throughout the year, and say il get you next week. But nothing of that. Sadly.

#209 P123

P123

• 8,608 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:17

Well, that's that. Congrats Jenson. It seems that Lewis has finally lost the tremendous speed and flair that made me his fan in 2007. I don't know what has happened to him, but he's no longer the driver of old. So you win Jenson fans. :cry:

What do the JB fans win? :confused:

#210 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:18

You are actually unbelievable!

#211 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:19

So Lewis should put on a fake smile and look fakely happy for others winning?

No thanks,I like him real and honest.

#212 micktosin

micktosin

• 503 posts

I fully agree. His reaction today was shocking and a pain to watch.

#213 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,454 posts

I think this is just rubbish tbh.
If he was angry / moaning about the team then yes. There's no sign of that.
After a great Saturday he lost 1st to a poor start, was outraced by his team-mate and was just desperately unlucky to lose 2nd on the safety car. The team did nothing wrong, he made one mistake and had a large slice of bad luck. Third today wasn't a good result for him. Frankly if JB was all smiles after a race like that I'd write the same.

#214 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:20

I think this is just rubbish tbh.
If he was angry / moaning about the team then yes. There's no sign of that.
After a great Saturday he lost 1st to a poor start, was outraced by his team-mate and was just desperately unlucky to lose 2nd on the safety car. The team did nothing wrong, he made one mistake and had a large slice of bad luck. Third today wasn't a good result for him. Frankly if JB was all smiles after a race like that I'd write the same.

well said, tkulla is being ridiculous

#215 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,454 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:21

He could take a look at how happy Alonso was finishing 5th. He could also be excited to battle Jenson throughout the year, and say il get you next week. But nothing of that. Sadly.

5th in a p.o.s. car was a good result.
You think Alonso would be all smiles if he'd been 3rd from pole in what looks like the best car (until next week at least)? With Massa and Seb in front of him?
Right. Sure.
Give him a break for once.

#216 Jayarem

Jayarem

• 10 posts

I don't think its that simple at all. Anger affects different people differently. I used to play tennis competitively as a kid. If i lost a match it would infuriate me, as i knew i should be winning. That anger made me more focused, made me push harder in training, made me (usually) win next time out.

#217 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Get outta here,where did Alonso start and what were his expectations pre race?

#218 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,946 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22

This line is as old as sin. Some of "us" should be just happy to be here, on planet earth, that is.

:lol:
:up: :up:

Oh my boss can f*ck with me as he want but I should be happy...
I am alive but living a shitty live, but I should be happy...
Oh look the other guy just got awarded second but I should be happy with 3rd...
For sure, like the other says....
:lol:

#219 Coral

Coral

• 2,829 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22

The scorecard!

Advertisement

#220 P123

P123

• 8,608 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:23

That's just the difference in pre-race expectation. 5th was a great bonus for Alonso, 3rd not so great from Hamilton's perspective.

#221 btrader

btrader

• 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:23

bragging rights on this thread. Isn't that what this thread is about :wave:

#222 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:24

Congrats to Jenson! He did a great race :up:

#223 Lights

Lights

• 9,796 posts

Just maybe, the image of Lewis you created in 2007 was based on false presumptions and was never realistic, giving Lewis the impossible task of performing according to that level in order to please you.

#224 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,946 posts

That's just the difference in pre-race expectation. 5th was a great bonus for Alonso, 3rd not so great from Hamilton's perspective.

Or any one else having a shot at least at 2nd for that matter...

#225 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:25

5th in a p.o.s. car was a good result.
You think Alonso would be all smiles if he'd been 3rd from pole in what looks like the best car (until next week at least)? With Massa and Seb in front of him?
Right. Sure.
Give him a break for once.

Doesnt matter. Alonso was gonna get a car that would win from the start. Well maybe not win but at least a podium. And here he is, finishing 5th in a car thats a good second slower than the mclaren. And look at Vettel, defending his title, totally resigning that Button was uncatchable. But he also was happy.

Hamilton was gonna turn a corner on this year mentally wise. Doesnt look like its all 100% yet tbh.

#226 stairpotato

stairpotato

• 432 posts

Utterly ridiculous.

You must come from the 'Jenson is rubbish' school of thought. Therefore Jenson beating Lewis means that now Lewis must be rubbish.

....which is nonsense.

Jenson is effing quick. So is Lewis. It'll always be nip and tuck between those two, but Jenson did have the measure of Lewis this weekend.

...it doesn't mean that Lewis has 'lost' anything.

#227 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Eh?
You make no sense. I think you've misunderstood - or :confused:
LH had a bad start and was desperately unlucky to lose 2nd. Why should he look happy with that?

Nah man, I know you're not agreeing with me. It's just that over time, this discussion has gone from antagonistic, to enjoyable. And I think it's about over, 'cause once I'm out, I'm gone for good. But hopefully I can leave with class, but that may be too much to ask of me at this point. The negatively "race conscious" of us seem to be out in force, and my tolerance at my age, and understanding of the ways of the world, won't tolerate it. So . . . solution, someone soon is going to be saying "goodbye" to theTruth. That's life. :well: Much worse is happening around us each day, so I'll find some other constructive way to make use of the time I've enjoyed -- to this point -- on here.

Peace everyone. . . .

#228 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:27

engineers make and set up the machine.. :wave:
It's clear(at leat to me) that since BUT is there, McLaren is just "smooth" and barely lock tyres or shake like crazy..
All the cars look more brutal than the McLaren(2010 was the exception with the weird version of the Blown diffuser).

#229 P123

P123

• 8,608 posts

well said, tkulla is being ridiculous

I suspect he knows that, or for him it shows a lack of empathy. It shouldn't need explaining after that race...... which driver in the top 3 would look disappointed. Yeah, it would be nice if they were all robots. Sure. But LH would be criticised from the same quarters for that too.

#230 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Hamilton not best pleased, bad start and unfortunate safety-car bad luck losing a place to Vettel. I'm quite pleased for Hamilton, at least he never tried to force anything. Solid points and with a tight field it is imperative not to get stuck behind other cars. Great race by Jenson, but Jenson's dad confirmed the obvious in his interview with SKY Sports F1, how "Jenson was nervous, but an excited nervous, that he was there and the car was there and that he was "GOOD ON THE TYRES" and that's what happened" *end quote* Was tyre wear an issue in the race? Not really and I would be a liar if I said it was, but it does let you into Jenson's mindset and the importance of John Button's quote. Being 4, 5 6, 9, or 10 seconds down, you cannot make the time back up with these tyres. They just won't last. All mistakes(including bad starts) must be kept to a minimum and clean races are paramount. That's the lesson Hamilton has learned today. Roll on Sepang. Outright speed isn't enough. This is my last post in this thread until the Spanish GP.

Edited by The Ragged Edge, 18 March 2012 - 08:31.

#231 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,302 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:28

Eh?

+1

And why does this matter re racing... its not some kind of TV reality show... its a sport, remember?

#232 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:28

Just maybe, the image of Lewis you created in 2007 was based on false presumptions and was never realistic, giving Lewis the impossible task of performing according to that level in order to please you.

yeah because we discover his talent just in 2007. :cat:
in F3 with VET, SUT, it was the same Lewis and he was the best.

#233 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:30

you said that with much more class than I'm capable of. Thanks for seeing things clearly.

You know, I was hoping Lewis could work it out with McLaren, but you were right. I bet Mercedes is licking their chops right now, first out of the Lewis sweepstakes, then magically, right back in again.

'Cause it's obvious that mcshaman don't give a damn about him. :lol:

#234 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:31

Agree, he was overrated by everyone, by his fans, experts, media. He has got a huge talent and skill, no doubt about that, but he isnt head and shoulders above the rest, especially in such a competive field we have got now.
This was just the first race of the season, he already scored a pole position and third place (would be even second had the SC not come out). Thats not a really bad start of the year, if you ask me.

#235 btrader

btrader

• 148 posts

I don't think what cora said was too far off the mark certainly the tyres, new regs makes todays racing very different from back in 2007. Lewis is mentally finished and imo today would be the final nail in the coffin. To go from pole to 3rd and have your team mate win would finish him off. We saw the end of LH after Buttons brilliant win in Canada. It shook him to the very core and he stopped being a racer and started apologising to the team for very single thing. I think he is damaged goods. McLaren rightfully are building the team and car around Button who is the number 1 driver.

#236 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

I suspect he knows that, or for him it shows a lack of empathy. It shouldn't need explaining after that race...... which driver in the top 3 would look disappointed. Yeah, it would be nice if they were all robots. Sure. But LH would be criticised from the same quarters for that too.

Did you see how happy and confident Button was yesterday when he got beaten to pole by Hamilton? Button was relaxed and praised Lewis, and said lets see tomorrow. And look at him now. Thats the mindset of a winner.

Edited by TheBunk, 18 March 2012 - 08:32.

#237 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:32

Lead driver gets the call.

Which makes sense because otherwise the lead driver would have to come in earlier than anticipated purely to stop the guy behind getting an advantage.

Happened in china last year too, tough luch, be the one ahead.

lead driver getting call is understandable, but it is something that needs to be revisited and tweaked.

It is a terrible thing if it means destroying the race of the 2nd driver, it almost did in China ....and basically cost them a place this race.

Had they pit Lewis two laps earlier and told him to conserve or both of them one lap earlier, they would have still been fine. But having him drive too many laps with his tires over the cliff just so Jenson can pit optimally is a bit of bullshit.

Jenson conserves his tires better, so whenever they make sure Lewis pits AFTER him in the first stint...his races are almost always ruined.

Lewis can avoid this by outqualifying and getting better starts... but he cant everytime and there will be more days like today. With the field being quite close, they could easily ruin his WDC fight with this rubbish strategy call.

They are basically forcing Lewis to conserve tires like Jenson, which is against everything in his instincts that brought him to F1 and got him a world championship.

It is pure bullsh*t

#238 theTruth

theTruth

• 516 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:35

Did you see how happy and confident Button was yesterday when he got beaten to pole by Hamilton? Button was relaxed and praised Lewis, and said lets see tomorrow. And look at him now. Thats the mindset of a winner.

What did Button know and when did he know it? Always the right question to ask.

#239 Coral

Coral

• 2,829 posts

Oh come on, that's not true. I had no expectations of Lewis in 2007, I wasn't even a fan back then. But I couldn't believe what I was seeing from Lewis in 2007, his performances were breathtaking. Montreal, Indianapolis...quite incredible races. I tuned in just to see him drive. Lewis simply lit up F1 then. I don't know what has happened to him in recent years, but it is as if he has had the life sucked out of him. As a fan it's sad to see... :cry:

Advertisement

#240 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

lead driver getting call is understandable, but it is something that needs to be revisited and tweaked.

Lewis can avoid this by outqualifying and getting better starts...

You answered yourself.

#241 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,946 posts

It is a terrible thing if it means destroying the race of the 2nd driver, it almost did in China ....and basically cost them a place this race.

Had they pit Lewis two laps earlier and told him to conserve or both of them one lap earlier, they would have still been fine. But having him drive too many laps with his tires over the cliff just so Jenson can pit optimally is a bit of bullshit.

Jenson conserves his tires better, so whenever they make sure Lewis pits AFTER him in the first stint...his races are almost always ruined.

Lewis can avoid this by outqualifying and getting better starts... but he cant everytime and there will be more days like today. With the field being quite close, they could easily ruin his WDC fight with this rubbish strategy call.

They are basically forcing Lewis to conserve tires like Jenson, which is against everything in his instincts that brought him to F1 and got him a world championship.

It is pure bullsh*t

As a mclaren fan this is one of the things that annoys me the most.
The notion they have to stick to the by-the-book-plan as cost them in the past and will cost them in the future...
They just can't seem to adapt to the situation...

#242 P123

P123

• 8,608 posts

That's the mindset of somebody who knows the race is tomorrow.

I've seen JB disappointed, frustrated, complaining plenty of times. All perfectly understandable at the time.

#243 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37

Oh get over it, Lewis fluffed the second phase of the start which therein disadvantaged him strategy wise, and he couldn't keep up with Button in the early stages, Jenson was the better driver today and Lewis got unlucky with the safety car and Vettel got lucky twice with Michaels problem and then the safety car.

#244 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:39

What did Button know and when did he know it? Always the right question to ask.

Confidence in own ability. Sheer confidence, come what may.

Lewis screwed up his start and Button took it and never looked back, and didnt put a foot wrong all race. He won this race on merit. He was the better man today, as Hamilton was the better man yesterday. Simple.

#245 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,852 posts

Why? Am I not allowed to say what I think or are we only allowed to post if we're happy?! :confused:

No of course you are, the ignore button however allows me to avoid your ridiculously over dramatic posts, and thus reduce my chances of a hernia :well:

Edited by Kvothe, 18 March 2012 - 08:39.

#246 Nigol

Nigol

• 1,356 posts

Agree, he was overrated by everyone, by his fans, experts, media. He has got a huge talent and skill, no doubt about that, but he isnt head and shoulders above the rest, especially in such a competive field we have got now.
This was just the first race of the season, he already scored a pole position and third place (would be even second had the SC not come out). Thats not a really bad start of the year, if you ask me.

I don't agree, I still think its the "unracey" tires whats screwing him, but still everyone expected him to handle this better.

#247 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 939 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:40

Lead driver getting the call whether to pit is the right thing, but if he opts not to come in on a lap the second driver should get the option to come in on that lap - if they get the undercut the lead driver can't complain as he was given the option to come in.

#248 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:41

It is pure bullsh*t

My thoughts watching live,exactly. This equal treatment is not equal at all,Lewis should get on top of things and did I mention get a new/other RE.
Alonso pitted early and he stayed 5th,while Lewis not only lost time but caught traffic twice.
It is BS

#249 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Oh get over it, Lewis fluffed the second phase of the start which therein disadvantaged him strategy wise, and he couldn't keep up with Button in the early stages, Jenson was the better driver today and Lewis got unlucky with the safety car and Vettel got lucky twice with Michaels problem and then the safety car.

Simple as that completely agree :up:

#250 btrader

btrader

• 148 posts

Oh the dream cliche :rolleyes: I hate it when people say this trash. The dream ends after a few races, reality sets in. It applies to every single person not just racing drivers. I know people have their dream jobs, you think they should be smiling when things are not going well at work just becuase they are in a job they have always dreamed off? :lol: