Photo

2012 Jenson vs Lewis scorecard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4041 replies to this topic

#2501 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:32

On a good day Jenson was as fast or faster as Hamilton even in 2010. Problem in 2010. with Jenson was inconsistency (just like he was a bit inonsistent even in 2009.)

However, as time progresses Jenson's pace is more consistent and completely comparable to Hamilton's now (which is quite a feat). If Hamilton wants to beat Jenson, he needs to do this through combination of strong qualifying (something Hamilton is no doubt very good at) and strong consistency - something we are yet to see over a full season. We saw that he is capable of it in 2007., and in 2010., now its just a matter of taking that step and making 'possibility' -> 'reality' :)

Yep it was inconsistency of balance which meant jenson wasn't being consistent.

Advertisement

#2502 MP422

MP422

• 1,717 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:37

What PretentiousBread and some otheres are doing is looking at 2010 and thinking why didnt lewis beat jenson like that in 2011 and 2012 oh it must be these pirellis completely forgetting what changed for button between the 2010 season to the 2011 season.
Sits in the car properly at the right height he feels more comfortable and even more happier with where he's sitting in 2012.
His engineers understand now how to get the best out him which helps balance/setup.
In 2010 they had no data of him on any of the circuits in 2011 they did.
All those things meant he could be at his best in 2011/2012 in 2010 he wasn't.
And just to say being faster with 2 laps of fuel doesn't mean you can be with 56 laps of fuel.

Enough of that too high in the car nonsense. Your going against actual common facts about tires with an excuse you made up again about JB. LOL.

#2503 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:41

Enough of that too high in the car nonsense. Your going against actual common facts about tires with an excuse you made up again about JB. LOL.

That's not a made up thing. You might choose, with your blinkers on, that's it doesn't have a great deal of value but it certainly isn't made up.

#2504 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:43

I dont think anyone said the loss of EBD would hurt Jenson in the races. I actually said it would help him especially with these Pirellis, no EBD means rears have to work more...preserving rears and tires in general is king nowadays, so if your natural style is to look after tires, you will be fine compared to those naturally inclined to want to do more.

Where it will hurt you is in qualifying, where sharp turn-ins and sliding the rears a bit under low speed can give you time (redundant stuff with the EBD). I believe a perfect example of this is Vettel, you can see he is hurting from the lack of "stable rear end at all times" he enjoyed in the past years in qualifying, but you can see that come race day, his pace is still there.

I won't read too much in Mel. or Sepang qualy times...those are supposed to be tracks JB is very strong at historically, yet LH's banker laps were sufficient to do the job.

Lets not forget he outqualified Lewis on those tracks in 2010 (*changing conditions in Malaysia).

Anyone expecting the qualy diff. btw the two this year to be smaller than ever will probably be disappointed.

JB can be very quick if the car is perfect to his likings. This year it is obviously the case.

#2505 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:58

Not made up.
What facts am i going against about tyres.
Lets put lewis too high and see how he likes or take away his happy bubble.

#2506 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:31

Ted Kravitz Chinese notebook,(4.30 to 5.20) stated Hamilton once again suffered from thermal degradation. The tyres are so marginal it is not even disputed. The key to the 2012 Pirelli tyres is all about keeping them in their ultra-narrow operating window, in order to extract peek performance. Once you step outside of that widow, pace falls away and the tyre simply does not give up the same speed/lap time, compared to a tyre exactly the same age, but not suffering thermal degradation,(IE running outside of its optimum working temperature) and as Ted said, this was not the first time this year it has happened to Hamilton during a race. It is these variables that gives the appearance Button, is a match for Hamilton and last year the tyres were even more marginal. It is Buttons great tyre management skills that is making the difference, not his fundamental speed as qualifying constantly reminds anybody caring to look. How many articles like this have we seen in the last 2 years? The tyres are be all and end all. The tyres are everything. Can they even be called racing tyres, because IMO no genuine racing takes places? It is a tyre management exercise from lights to flag and even the most ardent fan of these tyres can't deny this fact.

#2507 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:34

And yet, if Hamilton were finding it easy and Button struggling, I very much doubt most people here would have any problem.

#2508 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:37

And yet, if Hamilton were finding it easy and Button struggling, I very much doubt most people here would have any problem.

I think most would and look for another excuse other than tires for the disparity between them ( Some might even say JB bones are heavier and has no aero effect unlike LH that is why he is slower...or something equally silly)

works both ways mate!!!

#2509 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,096 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:37

Ted Kravitz Chinese notebook,(4.30 to 5.20) stated Hamilton once again suffered from thermal degradation. The tyres are so marginal it is not even disputed. The key to the 2012 Pirelli tyres is all about keeping them in their ultra-narrow operating window, in order to extract peek performance. Once you step outside of that widow, pace falls away and the tyre simply does not give up the same speed/lap time, compared to a tyre exactly the same age, but not suffering thermal degradation,(IE running outside of its optimum working temperature) and as Ted said, this was not the first time this year it has happened to Hamilton during a race. It is these variables that gives the appearance Button, is a match for Hamilton and last year the tyres were even more marginal. It is Buttons great tyre management skills that is making the difference, not his fundamental speed as qualifying constantly reminds anybody caring to look. How many articles like this have we seen in the last 2 years? The tyres are be all and end all. The tyres are everything. Can they even be called racing tyres, because IMO no genuine racing takes places? It is a tyre management exercise from lights to flag and even the most ardent fan of these tyres can't deny this fact.

:up:

#2510 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:39

I think most would and look for another excuse other than tires for the disparity between them ( Some might even say JB bones are heavier and has no aero effect unlike LH that is why he is slower...or something equally silly)

works both ways mate!!!

It doesn't work either way.

#2511 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:41

Oh come on. The sprint race that Calado won is 22 laps long (no stops) and on one of the toughest tracks of the year in terms of rear tyre degradation.

With a three stop F1 race, the average stint would be 14 laps.

Calado didnt mention preserving the tyres for a 22 lap race though, he mentioned being careful not too overheat the tyres and hence then going slower on any particular lap during the race, even short shifting presumably to limit wheel spin, he could drive so fast and no faster.

Wasn't my point.
My point is i don't agree that lewis suffers more because of the pirellis and that these regulations are perfect for button.
PrententiousBread's point about lewis not being able to be at his limit and jenson can be at his because if he was his tyres would degrade.
First point they don't drive balls out like in quali because they can't because of heavy fuel
Secondly why isn't this a problem for alonso aswell he is faster than massa in qualifying closer to the edge than massa right on the edge of adhesion.

Its known that the way you have to race on the Pirelli's is basically how Jenson drives anyways, its obviously still a skill set given Massa's performances but i would venture that Alonso would have problems alongside Jenson as well

Drivers can definitely make a difference with the current regs. But compared to the last sports car race I watched, its funny how endurance racing such as Le Man has turned into a 24hr sprint race whereas F1 has gone in the opposite direction.

I ventured this before drivers are driving more flat out in sports car races than they are in F1, it doesnt seem right somehow

That's not the races I'm watching. JB and LH have both shown agression and battled with other cars. And let's not forget that even in 2010 with the Bridgestones there were already races were Button lapped as fast or even faster than Hamilton. Nowadays Button can do that more often than in 2010, but that can easily attributed to difficulties in finding his feet with new team and car in 2010. On closer look, not that much has changed between the two with the switch from Bridgestone to Pirellis, only Button has become more consistent and is rarely way off Hamiltons pace, like he sometimes was in 2010. But even back then, with supposedly 'raceable' Bridgestones, Hamilton wasn't able to put 3 tenths or so on Button every race lap, like he should have been able to if the tyre theory was correct.

I dont recall one race in 2010 where Jenson was quicker than Lewis apart from perhaps Turkey but that was a fuel issue, some races Lewis was quite a bit quicker than Jenson

Yeah, Jenson could have outqualified Hamilton all last year if he had driven better.

China's times aren't comparable because there was a difference in track temperature. Button did a worse job, sure, but they aren't comparable.

You need to run that past me :confused:

#2512 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:42

It doesn't work either way.

it does............unless you chose not to be objective

#2513 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:44

it does............unless you chose not to be objective

Que?

Tyres are the same for everybody and the most important component on the car, whatever the brand or spec.

#2514 BernieEc

BernieEc

• 2,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:52

Que?

Tyres are the same for everybody and the most important component on the car, whatever the brand or spec.

Why are we having this arguement. its only been 3 races so we can't say who has an advantage between the 2. For all you know Jenson Might outqualify LH in the next 17 races or LH might outpace Jenson in all the remaining races. Can we at least wait till the end of the season to see who's where.

I just want us to be objective when analysing both drivers. its obvious you are a JB fan and likewise I support LH. if JB wins the WDC am happy for Mclaren but would have been happier LH won it.

My question is do you mind at ll if LH wins the WDC......just want to know your honest thoughts

Edited by BernieEc, 19 April 2012 - 15:53.

#2515 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:55

He was already a match for Hamilton, which is why they are more or less tied on points after two seasons and three races.

He wasnt a match for Lewis in 2010

Lets not forget in the same qualifying session in Q3 on his last flying lap Jenson had a massive lock up into turn 1.

Jenson lost 1 to 2 tenths, Lewis 2 to 3 tenths, its plain to see who made the biggest mistake you could have driven a bus between Lewis and the apex of the corner

What PretentiousBread and some otheres are doing is looking at 2010 and thinking why didnt lewis beat jenson like that in 2011 and 2012 oh it must be these pirellis completely forgetting what changed for button between the 2010 season to the 2011 season.
Sits in the car properly at the right height he feels more comfortable and even more happier with where he's sitting in 2012.
His engineers understand now how to get the best out him which helps balance/setup.
In 2010 they had no data of him on any of the circuits in 2011 they did.
All those things meant he could be at his best in 2011/2012 in 2010 he wasn't.
And just to say being faster with 2 laps of fuel doesn't mean you can be with 56 laps of fuel.

Its been shown that the qualifying difference hasnt changed so Jenson couldnt have been that uncomfortable

We saw Lewis a few times power sliding the car i think perhaps he has too be a bit more clever than that

#2516 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:55

You don't know what your talking about the problem was not overheating it was that tyres weren't heating up button struggled with it to.
Listen at the end
If anything jenson struggled with it more but lets just keep that quiet shall we.

#2517 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:05

You don't know what your talking about the problem was not overheating it was that tyres weren't heating up button struggled with it to.
Listen at the end
If anything jenson struggled with it more but lets just keep that quiet shall we.

Jenson can struggle in cold conditions its not the same as Lewis's problems

#2518 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:06

We saw Lewis a few times power sliding the car i think perhaps he has too be a bit more clever than that

In terms of what was shown on TV, I recall perhaps two occasions in which Lewis got sideways, the same with Button.

#2519 bauss

bauss

• 4,946 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:07

JB can be very quick if the car is perfect to his likings. This year it is obviously the case.

for qualifying, this year car cant been more of a match than the 26.... the EBD overrun, that was perfect for his style

Advertisement

#2520 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:13

Why are we having this arguement. its only been 3 races so we can't say who has an advantage between the 2. For all you know Jenson Might outqualify LH in the next 17 races or LH might outpace Jenson in all the remaining races. Can we at least wait till the end of the season to see who's where.

I just want us to be objective when analysing both drivers. its obvious you are a JB fan and likewise I support LH. if JB wins the WDC am happy for Mclaren but would have been happier LH won it.

My question is do you mind at ll if LH wins the WDC......just want to know your honest thoughts

Why are we are discussing this? Why are you directing that question at me - I didn't bring the subject up.

Of course I don't mind if Hamilton wins the WDC. My point all along for the last two years has been that he won't win if he keeps over-driving - a point that has ad me called all sorts of things in these threads, but which most now seem to agree with. (I won't hold my breath for apologies from certain quarters.) For me it's not who I want to win, it's who I think will win, which is JB because I believe he is a more complete package.

#2521 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:15

We saw that Lewis appeared to struggle with traction out of a few corners, even before tyre wear was an issue. Could it be that he's having the car set-up too stiffly at the rear? A stiff rear will allow the car to be more direct and responsive I think, but may hamper traction and thus tyre management.

Edited by Obi Offiah, 19 April 2012 - 16:17.

#2522 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:19

Jenson can struggle in cold conditions its not the same as Lewis's problems

What problems? at the weekend the problems were tyres not heating up nothing to do with just lewis nearly everyone had the same problem.

#2523 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:20

Here
Skip to 2:30.23 and you'll see jenson slide aswell while pushing too get vettel.
They both had moments of sliding as Obi offiah has pointed out also.

#2524 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,254 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:26

Here
Skip to 2:30.23 and you'll see jenson slide aswell while pushing too get vettel.
They both had moments of sliding as Obi offiah has pointed out also.

Thanks zack :up: . That was small potatoes compared to the two I recall. One of them was as he exited the turn on the circuit two corners before the one leading onto the back straight. The other was on that long right-hander onto the back straight.

#2525 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:31

You're probably right and this is human nature, hypocrisy knows no bounds.  ;) Despite this fact, no amount of spin, or obfuscation can obscure the hard truth/facts regarding the Pirelli's. The truth is, I along with a few others, was stating the obvious since Australia 2011 and were shouted down. I've been vociferous in my condemnation of the Pirelli's, even when Hamilton was leading Button in points, this was before Button started to get the upper hand when Hamilton was driving like Crash Bandicoot and at times genuinely getting outpaced.(my post history proves that) What is pleasing though, is our views on the tyres is now the prevailing wisdom, but it did take some time. The last bastion of resistance is the view, alternate strategies are a viable option on tyres that have no longevity. Yes, I know logic has flown the nest, but alas, a few die-hards still cling to this notion. Exciting racing? Yes, But as a product fit for purpose, it must be the worst race tyre in my living memory.

#2526 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 17:04

Its been shown that the qualifying difference hasnt changed so Jenson couldnt have been that uncomfortable

2 times the gap was a tenths either way in quali/2010
7 times the gap was a tenths either way in quali/2011
Thats not even counting india where that was on the cards also or belgium where we didnt get too see jenson's pace
The gap being 3 tenths happened 4 times in 2010 it happened 2 times in 2011
The gap being 4 tenths happened 4 times in 2010 it happened just once in 2011
It was closer in qualifying in 2011
Its about car balance in 2010 when jenson didn't have it he would sometimes not even be in q3.

#2527 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 17:54

You're probably right and this is human nature, hypocrisy knows no bounds. ;) Despite this fact, no amount of spin, or obfuscation can obscure the hard truth/facts regarding the Pirelli's. The truth is, I along with a few others, was stating the obvious since Australia 2011 and were shouted down. I've been vociferous in my condemnation of the Pirelli's, even when Hamilton was leading Button in points, this was before Button started to get the upper hand when Hamilton was driving like Crash Bandicoot and at times genuinely getting outpaced.(my post history proves that) What is pleasing though, is our views on the tyres is now the prevailing wisdom, but it did take some time. The last bastion of resistance is the view, alternate strategies are a viable option on tyres that have no longevity. Yes, I know logic has flown the nest, but alas, a few die-hards still cling to this notion. Exciting racing? Yes, But as a product fit for purpose, it must be the worst race tyre in my living memory.

Chinese GP

Winner - 2 stopped.
2nd place - 3 stopped.
3rd place - 3 stopped.
4thplace - 3 stopped.
5th place (14th at the end of lap 1)- 2 stopped.

Alternate strategies weren't a viable option?
That's genuinely the stupidest position I can remember reading here this year.

#2528 as65p

as65p

• 17,108 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 18:57

From todays PC:

LH: I personally don't think they[tyres]'re much more important than in the past, I think last year we had similar tyre degradation and we had to manage the tyres in a similar way. If you look at the last race the people on a two-stop were slow at the end of the race and people on three stop were overtaking them. It was the same last year – that's how I won the race. This year the tyre window, the working range is slightly narrower than it was last year, which is making it a little more difficult for people to warm-up the tyres in qualifying, for example. It is a little more challenging but it's providing good racing.

So, and to his credit, Hamilton once again passes an opportunity to blame the tyres for anything.

#2529 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:03

In terms of what was shown on TV, I recall perhaps two occasions in which Lewis got sideways, the same with Button.

Ok im surprised Jenson was doing it as well, thought that wasnt the best way to treat the tyres

2 times the gap was a tenths either way in quali/2010
7 times the gap was a tenths either way in quali/2011
Thats not even counting india where that was on the cards also or belgium where we didnt get too see jenson's pace
The gap being 3 tenths happened 4 times in 2010 it happened 2 times in 2011
The gap being 4 tenths happened 4 times in 2010 it happened just once in 2011
It was closer in qualifying in 2011
Its about car balance in 2010 when jenson didn't have it he would sometimes not even be in q3.

Well i didnt want to double check all that but didnt Jenson outqualify Lewis 3 times in 2010?

#2530 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,790 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:06

From todays PC:

LH: I personally don't think they[tyres]'re much more important than in the past, I think last year we had similar tyre degradation and we had to manage the tyres in a similar way. If you look at the last race the people on a two-stop were slow at the end of the race and people on three stop were overtaking them. It was the same last year – that's how I won the race. This year the tyre window, the working range is slightly narrower than it was last year, which is making it a little more difficult for people to warm-up the tyres in qualifying, for example. It is a little more challenging but it's providing good racing.

So, and to his credit, Hamilton once again passes an opportunity to blame the tyres for anything.

Clearly he meant in comparison to last year which also featured Pirellis, although I do agree that its to his credit that he doesn't take the chance to blame the tires, but instead chooses to focus on the best way to utilise them.

Rosberg
http://www.fia.com/e...rence-thurs.pdf

Q. The emphasis more on setup than it used to be?
NR: Tyre management is more of a problem in the races than it used to be. That's definitely the case and that can be influenced with setup and various other things.

#2531 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:27

Ok im surprised Jenson was doing it as well, thought that wasnt the best way to treat the tyres

Well i didnt want to double check all that but didnt Jenson outqualify Lewis 3 times in 2010?

What do you mean?
2 times there was 1 tenth between them in 2010 either way.
In 2011 it happened 7 times

#2532 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:32

What do you mean?
2 times there was 1 tenth between them in 2010 either way.
In 2011 it happened 7 times

So when Jenson outqualified Lewis by more than a tenth in 2010 thats ignored?

Edited by hammibal, 19 April 2012 - 19:35.

#2533 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,434 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:47

Nope, read it again. It's listed how many times the gap was three and four tenths as well.

#2534 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:50

So when Jenson outqualified Lewis by more than a tenth in 2010 thats ignored?

The stats are a gap between JB and LH being 1 tenth, 3 tenths or 4 tenths and comparing 2010 to 2011.
Confused at what your getting at.

#2535 gricey1981

gricey1981

• 1,176 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:07

The stats are a gap between JB and LH being 1 tenth, 3 tenths or 4 tenths and comparing 2010 to 2011.

Didnt someone post recently that hamilton was constantly .2 secs faster 10, 11 and the races so far this year

#2536 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:11

Didnt someone post recently that hamilton was constantly .2 secs faster 10, 11 and the races so far this year

Average, dear boy, average.

#2537 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 18:39

Boy, did I get confident after China. Now the poor guy already ran into trouble and can't make anything work for him. Teaches me to shut the hell up. I can only hope posting this will teach me to wait till qualifying.

#2538 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 18:42

Boy, did I get confident after China. Now the poor guy already ran into trouble and can't make anything work for him. Teaches me to shut the hell up. I can only hope posting this will teach me to wait till qualifying.

Just remember to post that he'll make his usual terrible start. If you don't it might jinx him. :D

#2539 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 18:44

:lol: Hopefull they can sort the setup out they usually they do.
Jenson sort of said they/mclaren weren't running a setup they usually do and have gone too far away from that so there are still other options for them to improve the car.

Advertisement

#2540 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:00

For now it seems even between the to with a slightly edge to Jenson.

#2541 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:27

He really needs to sort out his tyre management :p

#2542 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:34

Just remember to post that he'll make his usual terrible start. If you don't it might jinx him. :D

A week ago I didn't! And he had a great start, so actually not gonna try to jinx my pessimism anymore. Lewis had a great (even better?) start though, seems like the McLarens have this sorted.

#2543 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:39

:lol: Hopefull they can sort the setup out they usually they do.
Jenson sort of said they/mclaren weren't running a setup they usually do and have gone too far away from that so there are still other options for them to improve the car.

I don't know, I don't like the "I don't feel very happy with the balance of the car and the direction we have gone in." sentence. Almost sounds like McLaren have decided to develop the car towards Lewis's prefere..... nah just kidding.

I better hope Jenson does realize that if he wants to put his mark on the championship, he needs to perform on his absolute maximum in the weekends where he cannot possibly complain about not getting his tyres up to temperature.

#2544 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:42

A week ago I didn't! And he had a great start, so actually not gonna try to jinx my pessimism anymore. Lewis had a great (even better?) start though, seems like the McLarens have this sorted.

While I am disappointed, I've seen him bounce back from worse qualifications than this. However as usual I still fear the worst and I expect a dreadful first lap in which everything will seem ruined.

:p

#2545 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:47

:p

:blush:

Point taken. I'll be on it after qualifying, don't worry.

#2546 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 19:49

:blush:

Point taken. I'll be on it after qualifying, don't worry.

:up:

#2547 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:07

Nope, read it again. It's listed how many times the gap was three and four tenths as well.

If you include in the 3 tenths when Jenson was quicker than Lewis how is that evidence of Jenson being poorer in 2010?

#2548 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:10

If you include in the 3 tenths when Jenson was quicker than Lewis how is that evidence of Jenson being poorer in 2010?

The gap being 1 tenth between them increased in 2011 and the gap being 3 to 4 tenths decreased in 2011.

#2549 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,079 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:16

For now it seems even between the to with a slightly edge to Jenson.

Maybe in a parallel universe (:

#2550 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:18

The gap being 1 tenth between them increased in 2011 and the gap being 3 to 4 tenths decreased in 2011.

I think the point of contention is whether we're talking about the difference between them or just lewis beating jenson. The actual difference between them doesn't tell us anything (e.g. 10 races with Lewis beating jense by 3/10s and 10 races the other way round would mean they were equal, as it would if the figure was 1/10th).