4041 replies to this topic

#3701 MP422

MP422

• 1,718 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:12

Anybody see this on planetf1 ?

it's about teammates.

PF1~
"Some very interesting comments from Lewis after the race that give an indication of the tensions brought about by comparison with your team-mate. "Someone told me that I was the only person on a two stop, so I think that considering everyone keeps telling me that I am hard on tyres and how much smoother my team-mate is, I think that should show them." In fact it was his opening stint that was the most impressive because he overtook cars, diced in traffic and got his tyres through to Lap 15 - if you compare that against the Red Bulls of Lap 7 and 8. Button had another moany weekend. If Kimi Raikkonen's default phrase of the year is "I'm disappointed" then Jenson's would be, "I've got no rear grip." Race engineers must have the patience of saints."

Great read.

Advertisement

#3702 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,128 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:05

it's about teammates.

PF1~
"Some very interesting comments from Lewis after the race that give an indication of the tensions brought about by comparison with your team-mate. "Someone told me that I was the only person on a two stop, so I think that considering everyone keeps telling me that I am hard on tyres and how much smoother my team-mate is, I think that should show them." In fact it was his opening stint that was the most impressive because he overtook cars, diced in traffic and got his tyres through to Lap 15 - if you compare that against the Red Bulls of Lap 7 and 8. Button had another moany weekend. If Kimi Raikkonen's default phrase of the year is "I'm disappointed" then Jenson's would be, "I've got no rear grip." Race engineers must have the patience of saints."

Great read.

Surely not, I'm reliably informed by many Lewis fans that he is totally "not bovvered" by Jenson :)

#3703 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:49

it's about teammates.

PF1~

Great read.

I see some kind of bias here..

#3704 Dalin80

Dalin80

• 314 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:06

I see some kind of bias here..

Yeah, planetf1 usual go above and beyond to give Jenson the point including races he retired early from, 'well if Jenson hadn't retired on lap one we must presume he would have finished and therefore beets Hamilton out on this one'.

#3705 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,240 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:48

Posts deleted. 2012 please.

#3706 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:06

Yeah, planetf1 usual go above and beyond to give Jenson the point including races he retired early from, 'well if Jenson hadn't retired on lap one we must presume he would have finished and therefore beets Hamilton out on this one'.

And no-one does the opposite? There are literally hundreds of pages on these threads describing the places Hamilton would have achieved if only for this or that.

#3707 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:14

And no-one does the opposite? There are literally hundreds of pages on these threads describing the places Hamilton would have achieved if only for this or that.

I guess Dalin meant that if planetf1 says some negative things about JB than considering their bias toward Jenson JB shoud've been really awful to get such statement.

#3708 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:20

I guess Dalin meant that if planetf1 says some negative things about JB than considering their bias toward Jenson JB shoud've been really awful to get such statement.

Yea I know, but I was trying to illustrate that the bias seen is merely a matter of perspective. If a person can "see" pro JB bias, and describe the mechanism of it, but not see the exact same mechanism in play to the opposite effect then maybe the bias they see at Planet f1 does not even exist - it is just not as pro Hamilton as they expect the neutral position to be.

#3709 Jamiednm

Jamiednm

• 1,495 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:50

Saw this live last year, forgot how funny it was:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

:rotfl:

#3710 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,937 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:17

Totally agrees. He has take one leaf out of Jensons book.

One moore thing, it´s wise of him, when he is under pressure (could be from himself) he very offfen fails.
Here I admire Jenson, when he took his WDC he was under great pressure at the end. It didn´t brake him.

It's got nothing to do with Jenson, you could easly say he's taken a leaf out of any driver thats less aggressive. The difference is he just has his head in gear this year, like he did in his whole racing career before 2011

Hamilton will always have a couple incidents a season, it comes with his style of driving. It could have happened in Spain. The only thing that has changed is he is back with Nicole and managed to focus on racing again.

Edited by Olly F1, 17 May 2012 - 12:19.

#3711 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:19

I disagree - I think he has grown noticeably. And much the better for it.

#3712 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,937 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:22

I disagree - I think he has grown noticeably. And much the better for it.

You really think adults can change that much in a few months?

Lewis will have a moment at some point this year when people will say he needs to mature. He's a complex guy and a racer that thrives on taking risks.

Edited by Olly F1, 17 May 2012 - 12:22.

#3713 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:32

Not saying he has fully matured - which of us ever gets to that point?

But yes, I am saying that he changed. You don't just hit a point where you are an adult and then no more maturity is possible. Plus, these things tend to have watershed moments. I believe he was reluctant to change in 2011 to a degree, but has a new perspective this year (possibly due to new personal manager? Obviously don't actually know the true reason).

#3714 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,472 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 13:53

Not saying he has fully matured - which of us ever gets to that point?

But yes, I am saying that he changed. You don't just hit a point where you are an adult and then no more maturity is possible. Plus, these things tend to have watershed moments. I believe he was reluctant to change in 2011 to a degree, but has a new perspective this year (possibly due to new personal manager? Obviously don't actually know the true reason).

Lewis got to a point in the season where the championship was out of reach and he didn't need to change. I admire the all out approach and its how I used to behave on the go kart track. Lewis had not much to lose and an awful lot to gain in the second half of 2011, so a few scrapes was worth it as far as I am concerned. I am glad he has toned it down slightly for the long term this season however, but if he slips back down the field due to bad luck, I'd like to see the risky Lewis return.

#3715 Jeag

Jeag

• 963 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:24

I expect Jenson to easily beat Lewis this weekend.

#3716 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:26

I really don't understand why, given that qualifying is of such significance this weekend and, frankly, JB's not been anywhere near Lewis recently in quali.

#3717 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,307 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:27

:confused:

#3718 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,400 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:28

I really don't understand why, given that qualifying is of such significance this weekend and, frankly, JB's not been anywhere near Lewis recently in quali.

This is the guy who said that JB "Easily won" the battle in Spain.

Make your own conclusions.....

#3719 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:29

This is the guy who said that JB "Easily won" the battle in Spain.

Make your own conclusions.....

Ah the picture is becoming clearer. Thank you.

Advertisement

#3720 Jeag

Jeag

• 963 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:30

Just my opinion.

#3721 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:30

May I ask why ?

Other than Oz and China, Jenson has massively underperformed so far this season, certainly not carried the momentum of 2011 through to this season.

Other than Oz and China he has been slower than Lewis in qualifying AND the races...

I expect the unexpected this weekend.

The suggestion that Lewis is a Monaco master is laughable (to those who believe it). I expect him to be initially quick, and maybe quicker in qualifying but I expect Sunday to be close regardless of conditions.

#3722 MP422

MP422

• 1,718 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:34

I think Lewis has every chance to pole/win this weekend if the team and himself minimize their mistakes. Jensen i believe will need a bit of luck.

#3723 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:41

Thats cool, I expect Lewis to easily beat Jenson so our predictions are the opposite way around. Monaco is easier on the tyres than any other circuit and Lewis has a better record in recent years. Jenson often struggles to get heat into his tyres in qualifying and I think he'll struggle this weekend too.

#3724 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:42

I think Lewis has every chance to pole/win this weekend if the team and himself minimize their mistakes. Jensen i believe will need a bit of luck.

Yeah his performance last year was born out of frustration at his team messing up his qualifying so they need to step up and give him the support to get the job done this year.

#3725 robefc

robefc

• 8,002 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:54

Just my opinion.

Care to elaborate? It's kind of usual to try and back your opinion up with something otherwise this forum would just be a series of unconnected statements...

#3726 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:55

Monaco is easier on the tyres than any other circuit and Lewis has a better record in recent years. Jenson often struggles to get heat into his tyres in qualifying and I think he'll struggle this weekend too.

They'll be using supersofts, so if Jenson can turn it around anywhere, it's here.

#3727 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:57

They'll be using supersofts, so if Jenson can turn it around anywhere, it's here.

Same with Lewis. His reputation as being very good at managing these Pirelli tyres should also be proven at Monaco. Should play into Lewis's hands nicely and I expect him on pole. :)

#3728 MP422

MP422

• 1,718 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 17:58

Same with Lewis. His reputation as being very good at managing these Pirelli tyres should also be proven at Monaco. Should play into Lewis's hands nicely and I expect him on pole. :)

LOL at the Prancing donkey in your avatar !!! haha just noticed.

#3729 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 18:01

Ah sorry, I was solely referring to qualifying. Also, Lewis doesn't have anything to turn around, he's been in great form recently.

#3730 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,472 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 18:54

LOL at the Prancing donkey in your avatar !!! haha just noticed.

I've known a few posts here where I have been accused of being a Ferrari fan......................... And then they have a proper look at the avatar and remove the posts.. :lol:

Ah sorry, I was solely referring to qualifying. Also, Lewis doesn't have anything to turn around, he's been in great form recently.

Well I do hope Button sorts his tyre issues out for qualifying I really do. A McLaren front row would be most welcome and either driver winning would bring a smile to my face.. :)

#3731 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:09

:D

One race does not a reputation make.

#3732 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,115 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:17

How many exactly does?

#3733 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:19

How many exactly does?

Jesus, it's like discussing politics with Goebbels and his team.

#3734 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:25

Was interesting to hear Paddy Lowe say on The Flying Lap that Barcelona for Lewis was a 'great breakthrough in terms of his ability to manage the tyres' saying this was how LH himself felt.

Hamilton would seem to back that up himself judging by a comment he made near the end of this interview (you should watch the whole thing though):

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

#3735 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,791 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:30

Jesus, it's like discussing politics with Goebbels and his team.

Well, you brought the number up, now you don't like it how it went? Right...

#3736 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:46

Was interesting to hear Paddy Lowe say on The Flying Lap that Barcelona for Lewis was a 'great breakthrough in terms of his ability to manage the tyres' saying this was how LH himself felt.

Hamilton would seem to back that up himself judging by a comment he made near the end of this interview (you should watch the whole thing though):

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

Perhaps that's what Lazy tried to point out, that it's not his reputation at all, but he doesn't say that Lewis is unable to change that, as in Spain he obviously managed them as well as anybody.

Lowe just backs this up with his comments.

#3737 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:59

Well, you brought the number up, now you don't like it how it went? Right...

Wow

#3738 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,905 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:25

LOL I was just about to write that. It's really going to depend on a per circuit basis.

#3739 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,937 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:02

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#3740 Jeag

Jeag

• 963 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 19:18

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:(

#3741 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,905 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:37

Well, at the moment Jenson is happy with the car... that is until Saturday when the balance is out by a degree. :(

#3742 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,007 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:49

Well, at the moment Jenson is happy with the car... that is until Saturday when the balance is out by a degree. :(

I'd say it's a bad thing for JB to be happy with the balance after FP1/FP2 as track changes pretty much from Friday (Thursday for Monaco) to Sunday when suddenly Jense finds himself out of the balance..

Edited by sofarapartguy, 25 May 2012 - 07:50.

#3743 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,128 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:54

At the risk of jinxing things, I think the lack high speed corners and therefore serious tyre deformation, temp degredation will not be such an issue and it will be more down to standard, predictable slip tyre wear. Therefore balance issues will be less problematic.

#3744 Rocket73

Rocket73

• 1,452 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:02

I'd say it's a bad thing for JB to be happy with the balance after FP1/FP2 as track changes pretty much from Friday (Thursday for Monaco) to Sunday when suddenly Jense finds himself out of the balance..

I would say the opposite...usually when jb doesnt have good balance in practice he doesnt have it in the race either. Sometimes he can turn it around for the race but i think that when he is happy all weekend is when he excels..

#3745 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,400 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:03

At the risk of jinxing things, I think the lack high speed corners and therefore serious tyre deformation, temp degredation will not be such an issue and it will be more down to standard, predictable slip tyre wear. Therefore balance issues will be less problematic.

But will he be able to get enough heat into his tyres?

#3746 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:06

the same way one bad season out of 4 good ones does not make a reputation but it didn't stop the critics.

#3747 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:03

I think BUT has a very good chance to do better then HAM this week end.
Lewis has to stay calm and wait for Canada to punch everyone. a DNF here could cost too much.

#3748 revlec

revlec

• 2,721 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 13:05

the same way one bad season out of 4 good ones does not make a reputation but it didn't stop the critics.

:up: :up:

#3749 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,128 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 15:36

True, but being outscored by your team mate 529-520 over their 43 races together might.

#3750 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,682 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 18:13

True, but being outscored by your team mate 529-520 over their 43 races together might.

Wonder how much $ Lewis would be asking for if he had outscored his teammate. ;)