Photo

Personal photos of F1 and suchlike 2012

• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

#251 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,849 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:15

Wouldn't we lurve to see Nico win today.

Advertisement

#252 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:34

Posted Image

"I don't care who you are, you still can't park there ..."

#253 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 576 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 23:12

[quote name='Vitesse2' date='Jul 22 2012, 12:34' post='5834527']
Posted Image

The new multi angle negative camber, toe in set up still had its shortcomings

#254 Macca

Macca

• 3,335 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:17

Posted Image

The 90-degree swivelling drag-reduction rear wing needed some more fine tuning.

Paul M

#255 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 295 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:50

Sorry if I missed something, but what was the old circuit where these photos was taken?

Posted Image
The first chicane...

Posted Image
...and the straight that once led to it. Hard to believe Juan Pablo Montoya was tearing along here, at 200mph-plus, as recently as 2001.

#256 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:00

Sorry if I missed something, but what was the old circuit where these photos was taken?

The old Hockenheim when it was a flat out blast through the forests.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#257 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,219 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 13:47

The other thing of course being that there were loads of people there all around the circuit. Yesterday's footage (as well as Simon's shots) seemed to indicate a rather half empty stadium with only a smattering of race fans on the banking leading down to the hairpin.

#258 Option1

Option1

• 13,213 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 14:39

Count me as another who misses the old circuit. IMHO, it also produced better racing even without the contrived devices Bernie's introduced.

Neil

#259 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,262 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:06

The qualifying gaps even in 2001 were pretty big. As the field spread narrowed in the last decade, 'normal' Hockenheim would have turned into a slipstreamer even without flappy wings and battery boosts. New Hockenheim is probaly my least favourite contemporary circuit.

Advertisement

#260 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,849 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 15:20

.....along with about a dozen others.

#261 alansart

alansart

• 4,015 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:10

The other thing of course being that there were loads of people there all around the circuit. Yesterday's footage (as well as Simon's shots) seemed to indicate a rather half empty stadium with only a smattering of race fans on the banking leading down to the hairpin.

The only real viewing areas around the long circuit were at the chicanes and it was a long walk to get some of them! The stands in the stadium are huge and I'm not sure if they were ever full. We couldn't afford them in 86 hence spending most of our time at the Ostcurve. We parked the car at that end of the circuit for the race and once it was all over it took us about 20 minutes to get back to our campsite by the River Neckar at Heidleburg. It took over 4 hours to do the same distance out of Silverstone!!

I attended several Formula 2 meetings at Hockenheim in the early 80's, when the stands were more affordable in the Stadium, and got a brilliant view when I found the right spot. I don't think that's changed with the current circuit.

#262 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:24

I used to love my annual visits to Hockenheim. Before work started in earnest, I used to get a chance to take a vehicle and drive around, stopping off at various places. If asked of course I was out checking the placement of Bernie's microphones, but in reality, I would stop off at the Clark memorial en route to the spot where Patrick lost his life. You always, but always bumped into a bunch of enthusiasts who knew why you were there, because it's why they were there. I shall never forget just happening to be there as Patrick's mother was leaving one year, she just thanked me for remembering her son. Full of history, but then, a lot of places are...........

#263 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:31

I first went in 1970 and it was packed to the rafters. I suspect one reason for the big gaps at the front is due to the height of the debris fencing!

#264 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:41

The first Formula 1 race I attended, and my first holiday without my parents, was a Page & Moy trip to the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim in 1986.
If I recall correctly the holiday was £130 per person, with £30 for a weekend grandstand seat in the stadium, on its first corner (and very quick then). Twenty-four hours on a coach from central London with my best mate, it was absolutely fantastic. Watching the turbo cars on full boost coming out of the forest at, I'm guessing, north of 200mph was just awesome.
Several spectators had put a banner over the concrete wall on race day but most were removed before the start as they were covering advertising. Ours was not and you can just make it out on some of the television coverage, it was the only one left.
A great, hospitable place to visit, and the beer/bratwurst carts kept us fed and watered all through that glorious weekend. I'd hate to visit there now, it just looks so... dull.

#265 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 16:50

I would stop off at the Clark memorial en route to the spot where Patrick lost his life. You always, but always bumped into a bunch of enthusiasts who knew why you were there, because it's why they were there.

It's the same story with the Bernd Rosemeyer memorial a few kilometers along the Autobahn not far from Darmstadt. It marks the spot where Bernd lost his life during a record attempt in 1938. It's in woods a few metres off an Autobahn Parkplatz, and you'd have to know what you were looking for to find it. I've been several times, there are always fresh flowers and sometimes a candle or two, and it's neatly tended. Every time I've been, others have also been there paying their respects, pretty impressive when you think that it's 74 years since he died. We shall not forget them.

#266 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 17:11

It's the same story with the Bernd Rosemeyer memorial a few kilometers along the Autobahn not far from Darmstadt. It marks the spot where Bernd lost his life during a record attempt in 1938. It's in woods a few metres off an Autobahn Parkplatz, and you'd have to know what you were looking for to find it. I've been several times, there are always fresh flowers and sometimes a candle or two, and it's neatly tended. Every time I've been, others have also been there paying their respects, pretty impressive when you think that it's 74 years since he died. We shall not forget them.

:up: :up: :up: :up:

#267 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 295 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:29

The old Hockenheim when it was a flat out blast through the forests.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Thank you for your reply alansart. I thought it may have been but I wasn't sure.
Funny that because as I was watching the Hockeneim GP the other night I was thinking how they wrecked a classic circuit and how I miss seeing the cars go thought the forrest at 320Km/h.
It was a great utube clip thanks :up:

Mouserat 159

#268 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:50

Thanks for all the input, chaps, much of it splendidly poignant. Here are a final few from last weekend before I pack my bags for wherever Bernie wants us to go next...
Posted Image
"Did you remember to pack the binoculars? I want to keep an eye on Seb's line through the hairpin."

Posted Image
Lewis wonders how many women it's possible to fit into a single hotel suite.

Posted Image

Posted Image
So let's see. one Ferrari driver qualifies on pole and dominates the race, while the other almost takes his team-mate off during Q2, hits a Toro Rosso at the start, covers the circuit in debris and then dawdles home 12th. Thanks for your contribution, Felipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Bygone F3000 race winner savours the prospect of running HRT.

Posted Image
In his spare time, Lewis likes to practise Rick Wakeman covers.

Posted Image

Edited by Simon Arron, 24 July 2012 - 08:51.

#269 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 440 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:04

The first Formula 1 race I attended, and my first holiday without my parents, was a Page & Moy trip to the German Grand Prix at Hockenheim in 1986.
If I recall correctly the holiday was £130 per person, with £30 for a weekend grandstand seat in the stadium, on its first corner (and very quick then). Twenty-four hours on a coach from central London with my best mate, it was absolutely fantastic. Watching the turbo cars on full boost coming out of the forest at, I'm guessing, north of 200mph was just awesome.
Several spectators had put a banner over the concrete wall on race day but most were removed before the start as they were covering advertising. Ours was not and you can just make it out on some of the television coverage, it was the only one left.
A great, hospitable place to visit, and the beer/bratwurst carts kept us fed and watered all through that glorious weekend. I'd hate to visit there now, it just looks so... dull.

If you had to use just one adjective to describe the old circuit, I would use 'fearsome' just because of the long high speed curves through the forest, waiting for something to break on your car or for your engine to explode. It must be a feeling of quiet relief to arrive back in the stadium section each lap. Also those huge granstands in the stadium gave it an air of grandeur & importance. Those things helped to make up for any lack of technical difficulty or geographical interest. Once again those clever people at FOCA/FISA/FIA/professional circuit architects have suceeded in 'dumbing down' what used to be a great sport.

Personally, I preferred the 'Bratwurst mit Zenf' at the Nurburgring, served from those wooden huts, dotted around the circuit & the smell of bbqs everywhere...

#270 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:12

...I was thinking how they wrecked a classic circuit and how I miss seeing the cars go thought the forrest at 320Km/h.

The death of the old Hockenheim is a grim testament to the power and influence of the German Green party. If permission had been granted to remove some trees, the forest part of the track could have been made 'safe' enough for it to continue in use, it was the relative narrowness of the cleared area that caused much of the danger, but "die Baume" or "the trees" are sacred in Germany, an important part of the national heritage, and there have been many similar instances with road improvements, airport enlargement etc, where trees have triumphed over other considerations. I'd be interested to know Bernie's views on the old track, with relatively limited possibilities for trackside advertising and paying spectators, maybe he wasn't sorry to see it go, the current emasculated version is certainly a better proposition commercially, and as we know, even that struggles to survive.

#271 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:27

Posted Image
So let's see. one Ferrari driver qualifies on pole and dominates the race, while the other almost takes his team-mate off during Q2, hits a Toro Rosso at the start, covers the circuit in debris and then dawdles home 12th. Thanks for your contribution, Felipe.

According to Massa the team need him to help Alonso take the title this year. That knock on the head really did affect him!

:drunk:

#272 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,236 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:00

According to Massa the team need him to help Alonso take the title this year. That knock on the head really did affect him!

:drunk:

Rob Smedley (waving watch in front of Felipe): You are feeling sleepy ...

Massa: Zzzzz ...

Smedley: Now remember ... Fernando is faster than you ... can you confirm you understood that message?

Massa: I understand.

Smedley: Good lad, now repeat three times after me ... Fernando is faster than me ...

Massa: Fernando is faster than me ... Fernando is faster than me ... Fernando is faster than me ...

Smedley: When I snap my fingers you will wake up. You will not remember this conversation. *SNAP*

Massa: Huh? Did I fall asleep?

Smedley: Yes, just for a second. Perhaps you shouldn't have had such a big lunch. The chef seems to be getting a bit magnanimous with the portions ...

Massa: Uh, Rob - what means "magnanimous"? Issa like Mickey Mouse or Dangermouse?

Smedley: Err ... yeah ... summat like that ...

#273 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:36

The death of the old Hockenheim is a grim testament to the power and influence of the German Green party. If permission had been granted to remove some trees, the forest part of the track could have been made 'safe' enough for it to continue in use, it was the relative narrowness of the cleared area that caused much of the danger, but "die Baume" or "the trees" are sacred in Germany, an important part of the national heritage, and there have been many similar instances with road improvements, airport enlargement etc, where trees have triumphed over other considerations. I'd be interested to know Bernie's views on the old track, with relatively limited possibilities for trackside advertising and paying spectators, maybe he wasn't sorry to see it go, the current emasculated version is certainly a better proposition commercially, and as we know, even that struggles to survive.

The track length was also cut down in part to match the "optimum" circuit length, that is, one that fits the glass optic loop that is taken to, and laid around, each circuit in turn (timing, sector and cheat loops for circuit positioning map, as well as the OBC nodes), so not all the "greens" fault!

#274 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,188 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 13:02

...so not all the "greens" fault!

I don't doubt any of that Steve, but I was going on German media reports from the period. They said that the Greens were refusing to allow any trees could be removed, knowing that would mean the demise of the long circuit. There was speculation that their real intention was to make Hockenheim unviable, so that it would be closed down altogether. Hasn't Monza had similar problems? What a fun lot these Greens are, have you noticed how many windmills have sprouted all over Germany, some of the installations in what used to be the East seem to fill the landscape. The Greens clearly don't care a great deal about spoiling views.

#275 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,075 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 13:57

Sorry for that very evil thought...maybe they should have done it the greek/spanish way when they need land for new hotels. Just start a bushfire inside the track and the track itself would have worked as a barricade for the fire.

#276 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 14:55

I have no doubt BCE used the "goings on" in his favour, bless him!

#277 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,262 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 15:25

I'd heard it was cheaper to design/pave the new version than resurface the old.

Id love to see the trackside billboard TV numbers for the old circuit. All those lovely stationary long-distance shots, with the D2 and Bridgestone logos hovering in view...

#278 PCC

PCC

• 465 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 00:27

What a fun lot these Greens are, have you noticed how many windmills have sprouted all over Germany, some of the installations in what used to be the East seem to fill the landscape. The Greens clearly don't care a great deal about spoiling views.

Actually, I've never understood why people consider windmills to be such an eyesore...

Posted Image

#279 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,849 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:07

Ah, but, take those mountains away from the background and then see how they stand out. Most of these things stick up on the top of hills and dominate the landscape (or seascape, in the case of the area off Rhyl in North Wales.)

Advertisement

#280 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,075 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 16:27

Ah, but, take those mountains away from the background and then see how they stand out. Most of these things stick up on the top of hills and dominate the landscape (or seascape, in the case of the area off Rhyl in North Wales.)

...and they kill birds as well.

#281 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 22:18

Posted Image
Fast Finn and some roof tiles.

Posted Image
Kamui Kobayashi faces a 10-position grid penalty for failing to get either of his rear wheels off the ground while being photographed.

Posted Image
HRT participated in a city-centre demonstration run.

Posted Image
Spanish genius.

Posted Image
Spaniard.

Posted Image
One for Rainford.

Posted Image
Sky sports.

#282 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 23:02

The track length was also cut down in part to match the "optimum" circuit length, that is, one that fits the glass optic loop that is taken to, and laid around, each circuit in turn (timing, sector and cheat loops for circuit positioning map, as well as the OBC nodes), so not all the "greens" fault!

Given how close the trees were to the stadium before the new circuit was built and the amount that must have been cut down during the building works ( as a guide the tight hairpin on the new circuit is roughly where the third/last chicane was on the old one ), surely the Greens would've been happier for the old circuit to be retained with far fewer trees cut down to enable the safety areas to be constructed ? Makes me think that Bernies timing system & advertising requirements were probably the prime driver behind all of this.

http://www.google.co...,r:12,s:0,i:114

Edited by LittleChris, 28 July 2012 - 23:10.

#283 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,849 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:44

I wonder what the lap speeds would have been without the chicanes and with the 'stadium loop' by-passed.

(BTW this is Hockenheim we are discussing, in case anyone thinks we've gone mad)

#284 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,470 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:11

Given how close the trees were to the stadium before the new circuit was built and the amount that must have been cut down during the building works ( as a guide the tight hairpin on the new circuit is roughly where the third/last chicane was on the old one ), surely the Greens would've been happier for the old circuit to be retained with far fewer trees cut down to enable the safety areas to be constructed ? Makes me think that Bernies timing system & advertising requirements were probably the prime driver behind all of this.

It's a total misconception to think that the Greens had anything to do with the circuit change or that the circuit change was made because of green issues.
Green issues only came into play as a result of the need to provide environmental compensation after the decision was made and quite possibly as a gesture to make the subsidy of a large amount of public money (60 million euro) acceptable. The Greens were not in power in the Landesregierung at the time BTW.

Ironically one of the main reasons for changing the nature of the circuit was creating the possibility of creating for spectator capacity from 83.000 to 120.000 seats http://de.wikipedia....in...ürttemberg
Seats that possibly weren't half filled last weekend....

Edited by scheivlak, 29 July 2012 - 10:11.

#285 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:06

Ironically one of the main reasons for changing the nature of the circuit was creating the possibility of creating for spectator capacity from 83.000 to 120.000 seats http://de.wikipedia....in...ürttemberg
Seats that possibly weren't half filled last weekend....

Interesting. I'm sure Motoring News always used to quote that the Stadium section had a capacity of over 100,000 and was usually full if HJ Stuck was competing in the F2 races during the mid 70's

#286 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:25

Posted Image
One for Rainford.

You have excelled yourself :rotfl:

PAR

#287 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:01

After the afternoon Schumi had, :eek: I'm keenly awaiting this week's captions... :drunk:

#288 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:28

After the afternoon Schumi had, :eek: I'm keenly awaiting this week's captions... :drunk:

He's getting quite a hard time in Motorsport News this week. More pix to follow shortly...

#289 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:04

Posted Image
Gift rapping.

Posted Image
Rare night shot of Budapest with no hookers visible.

Posted Image
Equally rare shot of Romain Grosjean not being blocked by a pensioner.

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Bloody hell. Have you seen where Michael is trying to start?"

Posted Image
The future is, erm, blue and white. Valtteri Bottas has all but driven himself into a Williams seat for 2013, allegedly.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Official FIA data reveals that the tree grows as briskly as the car moves. The biggest difference is that the tree understands blue flags...

#290 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 14:57

Posted Image
Another opportunity to recycle that old 'Herr Spray' caption. Man tiptoes around on Friday morning, in preparation for his 300th GP start.

Posted Image
No idea why he's smiling. Thus far, he's been useless.

Posted Image
Kind of blue.

Posted Image
Slow Rouge: the less effective McLaren driver.

Posted Image
"Horseradish catapult daffodil albatross Messerschmitt etc etc..." Kimi contemplates the possibility of a fifth Spa success.

Posted Image
Heikki contemplates the likelihood of qualifying 18th.

Posted Image
Nico Hülkenberg and a large chunk of southern Belgium.

#291 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,246 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:09

[quote name='Simon Arron' date='Sep 2 2012, 00:57' post='5889531']
Thanks SIMON for this shot of a pensioner at work. :clap:

Posted Image

#292 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:38

Posted Image

Caught a well known effone presenter moonlighting at Silverstone last week.

#293 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,849 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:54

I didn't realise Eddie Jordan still raced. :eek:

#294 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:04

I didn't realise Eddie Jordan still raced. :eek:

:lol: :clap:

#295 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:50

Posted Image

My ideal GP circuit - just love the view back towards the old start.

#296 Vitesse2

Vitesse2

• 24,236 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 15:03

Romain Grosjean seems to have misunderstood this banner from earlier in the season:

Posted Image

After the race we asked other drivers for their reaction to Romain's start today:

Posted Image

"Something unprintable in Spanish - or possibly Italian"

Posted Image

"I'm not taking my helmet off until I'm sure he's left the circuit - the way he drove today I wouldn't trust him on a golf cart."

Posted Image

"It stinks"

Posted Image

"It was funny to watch from where I was"

Posted Image

"I may have spun several times today, but at least I didn't hit anybody"

Posted Image

"I have only this to say to him after he ruined my best ever qualifying ..."

#297 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:45

The " in car " from Alonso's Ferrari illustrated how F1 can never be deemed safe....

PAR

#298 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 293 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 17:41

The " in car " from Alonso's Ferrari illustrated how F1 can never be deemed safe....

PAR

Before the start, Sky had a sequence of Spa F1 clips to the soundtrack of Weller's superb "Wild Wood" - very apt, as the second line of the song is "People fly by in the traffics boom...."

JohnP :cool:

#299 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:47

Posted Image
Race morning has broken, as Cat Stevens almost once sang.

Posted Image
"I've just been overtaken by Felipe bloody Massa..."

Posted Image

Posted Image
"Is it OK if I tweet the design plans for next year's chassis?"

Posted Image

Posted Image
Can you tell that this a practice shot?

Posted Image

Posted Image
"I reckon I'm still as quick as Felipe bloody Massa..."

Advertisement

#300 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 11,718 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:09

Posted Image
"I reckon I'm still as quick as Felipe bloody Massa..."

Mr Arron how dare you - he is probably quicker than a ceratin pair of Mercedes drivers never mind "Felipe bloody Massa".

:wave:

PS still the most famous Belgian after Tin Tin!

Edited by Stephen W, 04 September 2012 - 08:10.