Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
1315 replies to this topic

#1 mongo580

mongo580

• 91 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:18

Tooooooooooooooooooooo many ads.
And big whoop Channel 10 (the non HD channel, the HD channel being ONE for people outside Oz which has been showing the GPs live) is showing Euro GPs "Live!" from 9.30pm (Euro GPs start at 10pm Oz time). There will still be too many ads.

Not sure about Krofty commentating with Martin but I guess we will warm to him.

Advertisement

#2 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,393 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:38

Yeah,only so-so coverage,a lot of waffling and too many ads but thats FTA TV.We watch everything on delay,start record then watch something else,in our case the NRL on 9,then started watching the race around an hour in.It doesn't help with the missing laps while the ads are on though,i notice on other Forums posts that claim over 10 laps were lost.

#3 Zippel

Zippel

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 23:59

What annoyed me the most about the coverage was the cross over to Ten's Breakfast TV crew for no other reason than to gain more viewers for their fledging show. Because those who watch motor racing are the same demographic who watch **** morning breakfast shows. Most of the guests weren't even racing related, and we couldn't watch post qualifying interviews for this crap. Who the **** were all those people?

#4 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:41

Ugh. I'm so glad I was at work and missed most of the coverage except quali and the race. It was making me cringe. I don't give a **** about these breakfast people who didn't even know what they were talking about - one of them said when the fighter came over, "It's our F-111." Stupid dumb morons!

And the bimbos. Oh my goodness. I felt ashamed for my gender the entire weekend! All they seemed to show were the stupid airheaded bimbos who were there for NO other reason than that it was an event on the "social calendar".

On a possibly related note: I am watching Formula One. Formula One is about the DRIVERS. I do not give a sh*t about their GIRLFRIENDS during the race. If I see Jenson's or Lewis' girlfriends again on my TV I will scream. (Quite apart from that, shock horror! THE OTHER DRIVERS HAVE GIRLFRIENDS/WIVES TOO.)

And, of course, too many ads at dumb times and for too long.

#5 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:09

I know ads are a commercial reality, but after 3 days of 5 hour sessions of ads, "celebrity", cross promotion of programs I made it to the race.

Start Race 11 mins - then 3 minute ad break
race 10 mins then a 3 and a half minute ad break (same ads of course plus a few extra promos)
race 10.5 minutes then 3minute ad break
race 10 mins then 3.5 minute ad break
race 19 minutes sort of - this includes long safety car period where inexplicably there is no break ( then 3 mins break)
race 5 mins then the celebrated last ad break of 2 mins 40 sec
race to finish

I believe 19 minutes of ads in a 1 hour 20 min race is ridiculous - nearly one minute of ads for 4 minutes of race.
Is this same internationally?

I loved the race - hated the ads. I hate Greg Rust telling us they'll take a short break and 3 and a half minutes of THE SAME OLD ADS later I can see the race again.

What to do about it? Maybe just watch later and fast forward?
I hate being treated like a moron.

FRUSTRATED
mymemoryfails

Edited by mymemoryfails, 19 March 2012 - 01:12.

#6 dimoose

dimoose

• 89 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:22

I could be wrong because i was in and out a fair bit, but i don't think they showed a lot of the other categories during the day. I wanted to watch the Formula Ford and during the time i thought it was on the breakfast duds where talking rubbish.

#7 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:22

That pathetic sham of a qantas lounge with some f grade celebs who are on some crap morning tv show disgusted me.

10 must think F1 fans are fools.

#8 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:33

Australian TV has two terrible habits, EPIC amounts of cross promotion and the same ads OVER AND OVER AND OVER again during a program. It's un****ingbelievable.

#9 redbarron

redbarron

• 314 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:35

The coverage was very very poor. The cross promotion for channel 10 was beyond awful. They had very little actual F1 coverage, and seemed to focus on the celebrity aspect of the event rather then the technical. I understand the ad's but they are excessive.

You only had to read twitter to see the reaction. Hopefully it was a once off fail for One HD to go in this direction. Otherwise I won't bother watching the coverage other then to watch Qualifying and the Race.

Very big thumbs down!

#10 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:38

You only had to read twitter to see the reaction.

Can you point us to some feeds?

#11 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:39

The coverage was very very poor. The cross promotion for channel 10 was beyond awful. They had very little actual F1 coverage, and seemed to focus on the celebrity aspect of the event rather then the technical. I understand the ad's but they are excessive.

You only had to read twitter to see the reaction. Hopefully it was a once off fail for One HD to go in this direction. Otherwise I won't bother watching the coverage other then to watch Qualifying and the Race.

Very big thumbs down!

Nope - I seem to remember the same bullshit level of cross promotion last year as well. :down:

The amount of ads seemed far more intrusive than they are usually for a GP screened late on a Sunday night - I guess because of the timelsot. But by god, why the hell didn't they throw the ads in when it was the SC period instead of a lap or two after they went green again?!?

Edited by krapmeister, 19 March 2012 - 01:42.

#12 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:42

Channel 10 have always been the masters of cross-promotion. They even work it into their news bulletins.
The breakfast show tie in was shocking and so transparent, but then all the 'guests' i saw being inverviewed just happened to be from channel 10 shows ... what good fortune that was huh?

I didnt think the ads were anything out of the ordinary (i think youre allowed something close to 20 mins an hour of ads) but it annoyed me that we got full coverage of the safety car, then went to an ad break just as DRS was being re-enabled after the restart!

#13 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,658 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:47

Over here TSN has a picture in picture come up so you see the race whilst the ads are on. The race box is a bit small but a fair concession.

#14 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:50

Over here TSN has a picture in picture come up so you see the race whilst the ads are on. The race box is a bit small but a fair concession.

That would be a pretty good compromise :up:

#15 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:50

Thats actually really clever, becuase you then are more likely to stay in the room while the ads are on.

Someone tell Channel Ten/One

#16 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51

Thats actually really clever, becuase you then are more likely to stay in the room while the ads are on.

Someone tell Channel Ten/One

Which is why they probably won't do it... :lol:

#17 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,309 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51

That pathetic sham of a qantas lounge with some f grade celebs who are on some crap morning tv show disgusted me.

That was just embarassing...

"Oh, it's your first F1 too? Jenson Button is so hot!!!" etc etc. ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

#18 Nobody

Nobody

• 3,158 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:55

Liz... Ellis... :down:

#19 rek

rek

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:57

Did anyone in Melbourne or Sydney stay tuned into ONE after the race, to complete the much vaunted "Super Sunday" combination of F1 and Young Talent Time? :stoned:

Advertisement

#20 john_smith

john_smith

• 243 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:59

agree with the ads. we missed the leaders' first pitstops because of them.

although the amount of ads tend to be higher for the aussie GP, it should get better for the next races.

i'm concerned about what they announced regarding channel ten showing european races live - does that mean One will not be showing them? i certainly hope One will still be showing the races, channel ten will inevitably be delayed due to masterchef/other reality tv show running overtime.

#21 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:10

i know im always bitching about the ads on FTA but this time they took it to the next level.

there were 10 minutes of ads in the last 30 minutes of the race - i timed it - absolutely ridiculous. and half of that 20 mintues of actual racing shown was safety car - why not put the ads in there?

move it to foxtel please - ASAP

#22 redbarron

redbarron

• 314 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:17

Can you point us to some feeds?

I won't post any as there is generally a lot of swearing but if you look for #onehd or @onehd you should be able to find the reaction (which is similar to the feeling in this thread).

#23 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:00

What an absolutely piss poor excuse for a weekend of what should have been motorsport. Rather than showing the on-track events like Formula Ford, etc. they had some morons sitting on a couch talking to people who have absolutely no connection to Formula 1 in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. The amount of times they cut to ****ing crap like Shannons truck which had a supposedly awesome simulator (why wouldn't you go inside and actually look at it dipshits?) or to some grid girls with the IQ of 4 dead pigs was ridiculous. At one point I could actually hear cars on the track while they were showing this crap.

But I still can't get over the breakfast show tie-in, which is the worst thing I have ever seen in my entire life. What a crock. I could understand if they were trying to bring in a new casual audience and the breakfast show goons acted as the students who posed the questions etc. to Greg Rust, but they didn't, it was just interviews to other no-name imbeciles. Big opportunity missed there. However even when they asked a simple question, Greg Rust could do nothing but bumble along in what was an answer as coherent as my brain cells after watching this tripe.

People have gone through the pathetic ad timing. I think because it was on channel 10, it might have been under someone else's control. Often on ONE, the 3 stooges appear to have some form of control over when we go to an ad break (ie. during a safety car period they will always say "we will take this opportunity to have a break"..)

Great race though.

Edited by Jaybools, 19 March 2012 - 03:01.

#24 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 11,543 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:03

although the amount of ads tend to be higher for the aussie GP, it should get better for the next races.

i'm concerned about what they announced regarding channel ten showing european races live - does that mean One will not be showing them? i certainly hope One will still be showing the races, channel ten will inevitably be delayed due to masterchef/other reality tv show running overtime.

Pretty sure One will still be showing the races live, not everywhere/everyone can recieve One - so for those people it's a bit of a win to have it on Ten.

Even though Masterchef etc is likely to go overtime, the start of the race should still go according to schedule. If anything it should mean a shortened pre-race intro with muppets Rust, Beattie and Baird - so win-win... :lol:

#25 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:18

Thats actually a good question I think. ONE has moved away from sport to be all things blokey so maybe theyve got designs on running doco's/movies or something? And TEN will always be at the mercy of big ratings winners like the ones you mentioned. I hope you dont take it the wrong way when I say I hope youre are completly wrong :)

#26 andrewr

andrewr

• 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:43

As if the cross promotion and lame "celebrities" wasn't enough, they didn't even bother to show us the post qualifying interviews on Saturday OR Sunday as far as I can tell. I think they showed Hamilton's one briefly but that was it. I guess it's more important to find out what's on Young Talent Time this week.

Edited by andrewr, 19 March 2012 - 03:46.

#27 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:51

Put it on foxtel, seriously. Or atleast give us a paytv option along side FTA. The amount of ads was rediculous, and we got to see the entire safety car period but as soon as they go green again we go to an ad break, wtf? and they also cut away from the podium celebrations to an ad just as they were handing hamilton his trophy lol.

#28 teejay

teejay

• 6,129 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:58

That was just embarassing...

"Oh, it's your first F1 too? Jenson Button is so hot!!!" etc etc. ad nauseum. :rolleyes:

"I just had some champers"

Guess what you whiny sounding bald headed muppet, F1 fans dont care!!!

#29 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:05

FTA has lost it's sport privileges imo.

the whole telecast felt more like melbourne cup day than the melbourne GP. so much breakfast show/omg ian thorpe/fluffiness/have i mention ian thorpe?? - i had to go have a vomit before the race.

the ads were just horrendous - seriously just about every battle of note was missed.

an absolute joke.

If it isn't NRL or AFL FTA just do not show sport or it's fans the respect it deserves.

Still fuming.

#30 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:06

Have i mentioned ian thorpe???

#31 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:14

Im quietly confident theres rules & regulations about the amount of ads that can be shown per hour of programming. I doubt there was any more than normal, but the timing was dodgy in parts (ie safety car) and with hindsight they'd provbably choose them better.
However, doesnt the world feed have the breaks put in? I remember they used to have the ITV/BBC commentary say 'were going for a break' pause for some viewers and then theyd pick up again 10 seconds later and then noticely do an intro back from their ad break.

Send it to Foxtel at their own peril, the sport will DIE in Australia if so.

Amazing with the wealth of F1 knowledge floating around that studio yesterday how much **** was dribbled on air though.

#32 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:26

Send it to Foxtel at their own peril, the sport will DIE in Australia if so.

the sport will never die because of a network change like that. it is as low as it is going to get in this country at the moment because of the garbage broadcast quality.

maybe i am a bit of an anorak, but it has a niche following as it is, and i would suspect a fairly large chunk of this fan base would be willing to part with a few clams for some decent - professional coverage with proper expert analysis.

there were 10 MINUTES of ads on during the last 30 minutes of the race, if you're happy to put up with that, i would question how much of an F1 fan you really are.

now lets cross to the pool and see how thorpies going....

#33 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:29

If those kinds of ad breaks continue I'll just deal with watching the grand prix late and "obtaining" the sky f1 version. Fast forward ads, no ads during the race, no morons.

#34 WigF1

WigF1

• 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:36

However, doesnt the world feed have the breaks put in?

Nope, the FOM feed has no breaks.

I remember they used to have the ITV/BBC commentary say 'were going for a break' pause for some viewers and then theyd pick up again 10 seconds later and then noticely do an intro back from their ad break.

That was when they (Channel 10) used the ITV feed, ITV would go on a break, the commentators would go quiet until the UK had cleared, then keep talking. The BBC never had adverts.

Send it to Foxtel at their own peril, the sport will DIE in Australia if so. Amazing with the wealth of F1 knowledge floating around that studio yesterday how much sh*t was dribbled on air though.

It's already dead in Australia, when you have D-list 'celebs' saying they are in a box next to "the bend" on the track, it's as dead as sh*t. Much as I'd hate to see it go to Fox, I probably would pay for it.

I've already watched the Pre-Season show and qualifying from SkySports HD and when I get home tonight, I'll have the race buildup to watch. The quality is good thus far, the main presenter seems rather stilted, but still, they have Crofty / Brundle / Ant / Ted etc. I can't wait for Brundles 4 day stint from Maranello to air. We don't get that **** on FTA. Even the BBC did what they could within budget regarding extra features.

We have a bikey and some cock who races Porsches FFS and our features? Interviewing Netballers, bogan WAGs and other tossers...

#35 Mohawkk

Mohawkk

• 63 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:45

I do feel as though Greg Rust & Co are getting rough end of the pineapple. sure they are not perfect but they need to dumb it down a bit for casual veiwers too.
But who else would OneHD hire with more info? they do have james allen and tom clarkson on the books for more tech info for us.
other then that I agree with everything said about the weekends broadcast. WTF was the point of those morning show people????F*&^ me!!!!!.

Edited by Mohawkk, 19 March 2012 - 04:47.

#36 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:53

there were 10 MINUTES of ads on during the last 30 minutes of the race, if you're happy to put up with that, i would question how much of an F1 fan you really are.

Dude, seriously! Thats the argument youre going for now?

Charge to see it and you'll lose every single casual fan ONE gets atm. You'll also loose a lot of dedicated fans who beleive that Foxtel is a waste of money for the limited amount of TV they watch. If this was pre internet/streaming/torrent land then there might be an arguemtn for it, but theres other options.
In another thread I pointed to the other sports that Foxtel deals have killed or are killing (A-League/NBL). Didnt Tony Cochrane say something similar recently regarding the V8's?

Thanks WigF1 for clarifying that. With imported commentary you wonder how much control TEN/ONE has over the timing of ads too.

PS. Saw Ted Kravitz in front of the camera on the weekend ..... i think i pictured him about 20 years older!

#37 WigF1

WigF1

• 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:00

Thanks WigF1 for clarifying that. With imported commentary you wonder how much control TEN/ONE has over the timing of ads too.

TEN/ONE have *complete* control over the timing - the feed they used to get from the BBC and now from SkySports has *no* adverts whatsoever. When Brundle said "the main stops are expected in about 7 laps", you'd have thought someone from TEN/ONE would pay attention. No, instead, we go to ads and miss button, vettel and hamilton pitting.

Charge to see it and you'll lose every single casual fan ONE gets atm. You'll also lose a lot of dedicated fans who beleive that Foxtel is a waste of money for the limited amount of TV they watch. If this was pre internet/streaming/torrent land then there might be an arguemtn for it, but theres other options.

True. I always figured if I ever got Fox, I'd watch Disco and NatGeo and that's about it. But as you say, with ChannelBT available, I wouldn't watch anything on Fox other than F1 really.

What we really need is Bernie to pull his finger out and give us 720p streaming of sessions for a reasonable amount.

Edited by WigF1, 19 March 2012 - 05:02.

#38 lbennie

lbennie

• 5,200 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:07

Charge to see it and you'll lose every single casual fan ONE gets atm.

fine with me, we don't need them.

You'll also loose a lot of dedicated fans who beleive that Foxtel is a waste of money for the limited amount of TV they watch.

not very dedicated then.
F1 is a global sport, if ONE/TEN drop it all together, someone else will pick it up. it is a good thing if casual viewers go away. might get some action on this issue.
also, this isnt the NBL or sheffield shield we're talking about here - the whole 'the sport will die' argument does not make sense, it is the 2nd most watched sport in the world behind football - the premier league has a massive following over here, and it is foxtel only.

Well no, his point actually clarified that ONE/TEN have full control over ad breaks as there are none in the world/sky feed.

#39 Paul McLucas

Paul McLucas

• 204 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:18

PS. Saw Ted Kravitz in front of the camera on the weekend ..... i think i pictured him about 20 years older!

Exactly what I thought! :up:

Advertisement

#40 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:22

mmmm feisty one you are!

Learn to read a thread chronologically and you'll see that that point was made AFTER I wrote what you quoted.

And if you think its a good thing to loose casual viewers then you are showing you are completly clueless about the commercial realities of broadcasting this sport (or any other). They are the ones who the advertisers want to sell to, they are the extra tickets, they are the potential market.... and thats what matters.
In short, you DO need them, you just fail to realise.

#41 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:30

i must admit that's a fair point about the premier league. NBL was already on a downward spiral by the time pay TV came along and the A-league also has bigger problems, especially as most keen football fans have foxtel for EPL and also la liga.

my tip is that no local FTA broadcaster will be interested in F1 if the melbourne GP deal runs out in 2015 and it will go to foxtel at that point. the wife and i make full use of our platinum IQ package - we spend whole winters on the couch, which we could never dream of doing with the standard FTA TV - and i'd love to have every race live and ad-free as part of that $3-per-day expense.

off-topic slightly but i don't get foxtel-bashing in general: nearly every sport you could want, great men's TV on history / discovery turbo / CI etc, plenty of soap-opera and reality/lifestyle TV for the wife plus enough classic comedy (seinfeld, friends, arrested development, curb your enthusiasm, peep show, south park, MXC and so on) to pretty much get us through without FTA. news and films on SBS, NRL on 9, new simpsons on 10 and british comedy on ABC is pretty much the only non-foxtel content i consume.

TEN/ONE have *complete* control over the timing - the feed they used to get from the BBC and now from SkySports has *no* adverts whatsoever. When Brundle said "the main stops are expected in about 7 laps", you'd have thought someone from TEN/ONE would pay attention. No, instead, we go to ads and miss button, vettel and hamilton pitting.

ads are a necessity and they probably can't get enough money per unit to have shorter breaks, so i'll cop that. the problem is that they probably think they need to air the race for a certain amount of time between ads: this reflects the ignorance of TEN middle management. they should be anticipating lots of action in the first few laps then a settling of the pace ahead of the first stops and be planning the ad breaks accordingly.

the decision to stick with the pace car for the entire period then go to ads right after was inexplicable. as somebody else said, i'd have expected better anticipation on ONE coverage so it must have been a different production team.

#42 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,794 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:46

not very dedicated then.

There is a difference between dedication and obsession.

Given the choice of;
1. Live HD coverage on FTA that can be watched on any TV in the house, but with the penalty of having to put up with add breaks
Or
2.Foxtel coverage that may have no adds (Foxtel coverage of NASCAR for example is not add free), but is not available to everyone, can only be watched on a FOXTEL equipped TV, and cost nearly $1000 per year (plus more for HD)

What's the rush to change?

Maybe if we were back in 98, when channel 9 had horrible coverage but you could no longer watch it on Optus Vision (Yes F1 used to be on cable in Australia until 97), I could then see the benefit of Foxtel. But with the way it is now coupled with Live timing, what does Foxtel really add except for a monthly bill?

Edited by Jazza, 19 March 2012 - 05:59.

#43 WigF1

WigF1

• 69 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:57

But with the way it is now coupled with Live timing, what does Foxtel really add except for a monthly bill?

All the extra features pre-race, post-race and between races. Last year my modus operandi was to have OneHD on the TV, BBC coverage streaming on the laptop and the live timing app on the iPad. I would start watching an hour before (or whenever the BBC coverage started) and there were some awesome features that the BBC did that we never even heard of, unless remarked in passing by the commentators. As we went to adverts, I'd mute the TV and then unmute the laptop to continue watching the BBC.

Now, sure, we're [Ten/One] not paying for that aspect of the coverage, I'd imagine they're only paying for the stream, not the extra bits.

But that's a lot of *interesting* content that, I for one, loved watching.

#44 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,794 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:58

off-topic slightly but i don't get foxtel-bashing in general: nearly every sport you could want, great men's TV on history / discovery turbo / CI etc, plenty of soap-opera and reality/lifestyle TV for the wife plus enough classic comedy (seinfeld, friends, arrested development, curb your enthusiasm, peep show, south park, MXC and so on) to pretty much get us through without FTA. news and films on SBS, NRL on 9, new simpsons on 10 and british comedy on ABC is pretty much the only non-foxtel content i consume.

Because that can be looked at from the other direction. With all the new channels (ONE, GEM, MATE, GO, etc) there is now enough FTA to get us through without Foxtel. Couple that with Internet streaming as well as dirt cheap DVD TV season Box sets and Movies, and about 2 years ago I realised I was paying $1200 per year to watch the IRL.

I have no issue with people having Foxtel, but I can see why many would hate F1 to become exclusive to it.

#45 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:03

The perennial issue returns again to F1 in Australia - that the broadcaster has a director/producer who has little idea of the sport they are broadcasting. An unprofessional coverage of the race, lacking in commonsense. The production meeting that preceded the race should have covered a plan for a safety car. Not running as much of the maximum 15/20 mins per hour of ads into that time, and then getting on with it, is beyond the comprehension of anyone who watched the race.

On a brighter note - great to see Darryl actually has a personality. He's gone from soporific - to loud and engaged. Pretty funny transition - but great to see. :up:

#46 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,794 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:05

All the extra features pre-race, post-race and between races. Last year my modus operandi was to have OneHD on the TV, BBC coverage streaming on the laptop and the live timing app on the iPad. I would start watching an hour before (or whenever the BBC coverage started) and there were some awesome features that the BBC did that we never even heard of, unless remarked in passing by the commentators. As we went to adverts, I'd mute the TV and then unmute the laptop to continue watching the BBC.

Now, sure, we're [Ten/One] not paying for that aspect of the coverage, I'd imagine they're only paying for the stream, not the extra bits.

But that's a lot of *interesting* content that, I for one, loved watching.

Extra coverage is always welcome, but with the internet these days how much of it is worthwhile? If we are talking dedicated fans here (and that's the kind of people who will get Foxtel just for F1) surely almost everything in that extra coverage has already been discussed on this forum (and other F1 websites) well before hand.

#47 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 6,110 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:28

ads are a necessity and they probably can't get enough money per unit to have shorter breaks, so i'll cop that. the problem is that they probably think they need to air the race for a certain amount of time between ads: this reflects the ignorance of TEN middle management. they should be anticipating lots of action in the first few laps then a settling of the pace ahead of the first stops and be planning the ad breaks accordingly.

the decision to stick with the pace car for the entire period then go to ads right after was inexplicable. as somebody else said, i'd have expected better anticipation on ONE coverage so it must have been a different production team.

Thats where they could improve a lot. Unless im picturing it wrong, before the pit stops would be a decent time perhaps becuase theres a attitude of 'we'll jump 'em in the pits' so things can tend to stay a bit static just before. Get your fill of the ad time then.

And my refusal to pay for tv is down to one main thing, the one thing that they cant provide me with ... Time. I dont have time to watch that much telly to justify paying for it. As it is I dont think I've ever watched the ONE pre race show.

#48 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 692 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:30

If foxsports had F1 they would probably show the entire skysports broadcast and there would be no ads just like when they had motogp. The only reason NASCAR has ads on speed is because the feed they pull from basically goes dead when the local broadcasters go to commercial. They keep showing the race but theres no commentary and its usually a wide shot camera.

I don't really care how we get a pay option, but i want one wether its streaming online or through foxsports (which i already have). Also i think alot of people under estimate how many houses actually have foxtel. NRL and AFL regularly get 200-300k viewers per game. So i imagine F1 would pull the same figures. For everyone not willing to get foxtel just for F1, its possible they'd have an online subscription like they do for the EPL.

#49 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:54

I couldn't believe how bad it was.

I couldn't help thinking about how happy those guys would be that they got to commentate during practice and it was depressing me in the leadup I was going to have to listen to their shite.

Tom Clarkson is fantastic though. Beattie is tolerable. But thats it. That last ad break they took infuriated me like never before, and streams on the net were lagging, it was utterly painful!

Brundle and crofty are an excellent team though. I actually liked dc but wow it's so much better.

#50 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:55

What an absolutely piss poor excuse for a weekend of what should have been motorsport. Rather than showing the on-track events like Formula Ford, etc. they had some morons sitting on a couch talking to people who have absolutely no connection to Formula 1 in ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. The amount of times they cut to ****ing crap like Shannons truck which had a supposedly awesome simulator (why wouldn't you go inside and actually look at it dipshits?) or to some grid girls with the IQ of 4 dead pigs was ridiculous. At one point I could actually hear cars on the track while they were showing this crap.

But I still can't get over the breakfast show tie-in, which is the worst thing I have ever seen in my entire life. What a crock. I could understand if they were trying to bring in a new casual audience and the breakfast show goons acted as the students who posed the questions etc. to Greg Rust, but they didn't, it was just interviews to other no-name imbeciles. Big opportunity missed there. However even when they asked a simple question, Greg Rust could do nothing but bumble along in what was an answer as coherent as my brain cells after watching this tripe.

People have gone through the pathetic ad timing. I think because it was on channel 10, it might have been under someone else's control. Often on ONE, the 3 stooges appear to have some form of control over when we go to an ad break (ie. during a safety car period they will always say "we will take this opportunity to have a break"..)

Great race though.

I happened to be at the track all 4 days so I can say I am glad I didn't have to put up with the coverage cos the support racing was cracking. Formula Ford was close at the front all weekend. One/Ten can't lose the rights to show F1 in Australia soon enough, can't wait til they do and hopefully another FTA channel can do a deal with Foxtel whereas the FTA show it and allow Foxtel to show all sessions live on another channel, being sky probably a SKY Sports channel on Foxtel. Im sick to deather of Ten/ONE and their incompetence, motorsport fans do not give a **** about celebrities, other shows on Ten and 'interesting' non Motorsport related pieces, they should show all categories of events on tv, im not sure if you guys got to see the Historical demonstration? 1985 Ferrari of Michele Alboreto was present and my god I never thought id live to see a turbo F1 car in the flesh let alone pounding around the race track, the SOUND of the thing! And ontop of that, Alan Jone's championship winning Williams and its glorious V8. I would be very surprised if you saw any of that. Luckil for me I filmed alot of it.

I actually downloaded a HD Sky version of the race so knowing how bad the coverage was I won't even bother watching the Ten version I will just delete it from my Foxtel box