* * * * - 3 votes

Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#451 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 170 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:41

I believe the idea is to make the companies who hold the purse strings (i.e. control) do something about it, which it looks like may be happening.

Yep. It's also more realistic for F1 fans to boycott advertisers, rather than the race (if they can't find an appropriate alternative).

We're getting mentions in the mainstream press and more importantly over 1300 signatures in four days. With three weeks till the next GP I think 5,000 is a very realistic target, with 10,000 not outside the realm of possibility.

Advertisement

#452 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 13:15

I am lost as to why, for a country that is often ahead of the curve due to costs, the oz marketplace cannot get it's head around the digital world. I can shop online for anything here, go to sears.ca or canadiantire.ca or homedepot.ca and you'll dead set have a heart attack.

Similarly, why are 10 and ONE not dual channels anyway? e.g over here we have TSN that is part of a sports package for $10 a month (keep in mind FTA is virtually non existant). That sports package has 4 sports networks (not channels) of which TSN has TSN SD, TSN HD, TSN2 SD, TSN2 HD. TSN and TSN HD SHOW THE SAME EXACT SHOWS, as do TSN2 and TSN2HD.

I pay $10 a month for HD of which TSN is part of that, it's like 20 channels though so to get HD TSn i suppose it's more than $10 a month but pennies.

Long story short, 10 and ONE should have two channels each, one is SD and one is HD. That solves everything, because right now if a show does well on HD the network moves it to the more common SD channel which is stark raving bloody mad. I loathe SD, i really do but can see why 10 would do it. Add to that TSN uses a split screen for ads and as someone said, I watch the ads because i don't flick the channel or go get a coffee. Infiniti have smartly run ads at every break, i know the ad by heart, $350 a month and 2K down, 2.9% lease (i'd still borrow on a line of credit cos it's less interest but i digress).

FWIW i don't watch SD unless backed into a corner, i have set up all our HD channels on one menu and i bee line to that.

#453 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 13:21

Theres some restrictions AFAIK about the number of HD channels each network can run. Will probably change over time, but I think its becuase a lot of people still cant receive HD (due to equipment) and therefore they would get super stooged as all good content would go to HD.

#454 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 13:23

Yep. It's also more realistic for F1 fans to boycott advertisers, rather than the race (if they can't find an appropriate alternative).

We're getting mentions in the mainstream press and more importantly over 1300 signatures in four days. With three weeks till the next GP I think 5,000 is a very realistic target, with 10,000 not outside the realm of possibility.

Nice and convenient too. I see the list has Visa and EFTPOS .... hows that boycott working out?

#455 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 13:28

Theres some restrictions AFAIK about the number of HD channels each network can run. Will probably change over time, but I think its becuase a lot of people still cant receive HD (due to equipment) and therefore they would get super stooged as all good content would go to HD.

Not if they just run the same shows though, that's my point. They run HD in OZ as a separate channel instead of a duplicate channel for those who are wiling to pay for it.

#456 IMOA

IMOA

• 26 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 16:52

I think the most logical answer for the move to Ten is that they feel F1 is big enough to be live on the main channel. Considering that a large percentage of people still cant get HD (a lot of them being Foxtel viewers who do not have the HD pack, and because they have cable they no longer have a working antenna on the TV) last nights race would have been watchable live by more people than had it been on One (Even taking into account the western states being shafted).

Whatever makes you think that having Foxtel somehow breaks your TV antenna? You use av inputs, not the antenna, to get the signal from the foxtel box to a TV.

This decision means that more than 95% of australians can no longer get F1 in HD but more importantly 20% of australians can no longer get F1 live and every F1 fan is the country should be incensed by that.

#457 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:07

I've just called Shannons and advised that unless they lobby Ten to show F1 Live and in HD starting from Spain i will be changing insurance companies for my two vehicles.

I think this is the best way to get the attention of Ten, threaten their revenue stream. I think all F1 fans should take action here. We may not pay for coverage directly to Ten but we do indirectly. Let's threaten this income stream for Ten!

Believe me, Shannons is listening to our concerns.

#458 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:10

I just noticed a post(claiming inside knowledge) on another Forum that Ten will be simulcasting with 1 for the rest of the season.I just did a Google and couldn't find any facts to back this up so we will just have to wait and see.

#459 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:25

More on my conversation with Shannons.

They effectively pay sponsorhship dollars to both FOM and Ten for the F1.
They have now been informed of the Boycott Ten and sponsors website. It is definitely gaining awareness and i think we all need to follow through to ensure these sponsors and Ten are aware that whatever is possible to boycott these companies will be done.

I already have a new quote for my car insurance policies which i am waiting until Spain to decide whether or not to enforce.
Forward this link to all friends and associates who love their F1 ( http://boycotttensport.com/ ).

Advertisement

#460 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:44

More on my conversation with Shannons.

They effectively pay sponsorhship dollars to both FOM and Ten for the F1.
They have now been informed of the Boycott Ten and sponsors website. It is definitely gaining awareness and i think we all need to follow through to ensure these sponsors and Ten are aware that whatever is possible to boycott these companies will be done.

I already have a new quote for my car insurance policies which i am waiting until Spain to decide whether or not to enforce.
Forward this link to all friends and associates who love their F1 ( http://boycotttensport.com/ ).

You my friend, are a godsend! I will send Shannons an email now :)

#461 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:52

Email sent, they're at ransom until the Spanish Grand Prix weekend. Let's hope something is done about this.

#462 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:03

I just noticed a post(claiming inside knowledge) on another Forum that Ten will be simulcasting with 1 for the rest of the season.I just did a Google and couldn't find any facts to back this up so we will just have to wait and see.

Basically doing what i suggested above, guarantee some schlub is reading this thread and stole my genius idea.

#463 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:05

http://www.theaustra...d-1226335722978

#464 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:06

Email sent, they're at ransom until the Spanish Grand Prix weekend. Let's hope something is done about this.

Great work Bartel! 50 new signatures in the last 30 min.
http://boycotttensport.com definitely gaining momentum.

#465 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:17

people power. in this age, it really works.

#466 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:20

Anyone have the ratings for the show they ran on ONE during the race? Wonder if the net numbers will be higher if they run F1 on both channels?

#467 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:23

people power. in this age, it really works.

And its about time others learn this too, the sooner the better. The internet is a powerful tool when utilised correctly! And utilise it we will!

#468 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:37

Anyone have the ratings for the show they ran on ONE during the race? Wonder if the net numbers will be higher if they run F1 on both channels?

Yeah they wouldnt have to mirror the entire Channel 10, just the live sport. Ratings probably wouldnt justify the former (hence CH 9 & 7 canned their HD mirror channels long ago) but 2 hours a week wouldnt make much difference.
A question arises about the advertisers effectively getting shown on 2 channels for the price of one. Might be some argy bargy there.

#469 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:47

So far, no difference in network ratings.

But the difference between OneHD ratings and the ch10 ratings fro F1 are not the factor here, in fact F1 is irrelevant. The only important thing is the ratings in a particular timeslot.

The main thing ch10 would be interested in what where the ratings for the 9:30pm Sunday evening time slot prior to them showing F1?

So if they were only getting 200,000 viewers for whatever crap they were showing before and they get 400,000 viewers for F1 then it has been a resounding success (for them).

Edited by SuperSoft, 24 April 2012 - 01:49.

#470 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:58

Its on here somewhere,i looked it up yesterday and i think 1HD had a little over 1% of the market averaged over the capital cities while the F-1 was on.

http://www.tvtonight...april-2012.html

#471 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:04

Even if you are not affected by the fact that Channel Ten is not showing races live to all Australian Statesm the support of al F1 fans would be greatly appreciated.

From one F1 fan to another, please show your support and sign the petition.

http://boycotttensport.com/

#472 Finn

Finn

• 35 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:16

Its on here somewhere,i looked it up yesterday and i think 1HD had a little over 1% of the market averaged over the capital cities while the F-1 was on.

http://www.tvtonight...april-2012.html

Maybe I need to go back through my race recordings last year and find some of those really annoying OneHD adds about how brilliant HD is for viewing sport and upload them to youtube for the irony.

#473 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:35

This decision means that more than 95% of australians can no longer get F1 in HD but more importantly 20% of australians can no longer get F1 live and every F1 fan is the country should be incensed by that.

What the decision also means is that 100% of Australians now get Formula 1. It's not a perfect situation but if you cant see the obvious benefit in that i dont know what.
I dont know the percentage of peopel who cant get HD (and im not going to guess) but fisssssi's story about his gf shows that the problem does exist.

#474 IMOA

IMOA

• 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:43

What the decision also means is that 100% of Australians now get Formula 1. It's not a perfect situation but if you cant see the obvious benefit in that i dont know what.
I dont know the percentage of peopel who cant get HD (and im not going to guess) but fisssssi's story about his gf shows that the problem does exist.

100% of australians got F1 before the change as the races were also shown delayed on channel 10. One is also carried by the regional stations now so the percentage of people who couldn't get F1 live previously is far less than the 20% who can't get it now.

#475 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:06

the percentage of people who couldn't get F1 live previously is far less than the 20% who can't get it now.

Any facts to back that up? Its a pretty definite statement and goes to the core of the decision if true.

Also, where is the 20% coming from?

#476 IMOA

IMOA

• 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:33

Any facts to back that up? Its a pretty definite statement and goes to the core of the decision if true.

Also, where is the 20% coming from?

20% is the population of WA, SA and NT, thats easy to estimate

As to who gets One now

All capital cities get One
The following regional area/stations carry One:
NSW Central Coast
Coffs Harbour
Lismore
Newcastle
Orange/Dubbo
NSW South Coast
Tamworth
Taree/Port Macquarie
Wagga Wagga
Woollongong
Regional NT
Cairns
Gold Coast
Mackay
QLD Remote and Central
Rockhampton
Sunshine Coast
Toowoomba
Townsville
Wide Bay
Port Augusta
SA - Riverland
South East SA
Spencer Gulf
Launceston
Albury Wodonga
Ballarat
Bendigo
Geelong
Gippsland
Mildura/sunraysia
Shepparton
Bunbury

There's very few areas which don't get One which would be lucky to count for more than a couple of percent of the population, even being massively over-generous and calling it 5% it's still a hell of a lot less than the entire population of WA, SA and NT

#477 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:41

Not sure if im convinced that those three make up 20% of the population TBH but anyway my point was not about ONE's coverage, but those without HD receivers or still using analogue equipment (for whatever reason).

#478 john_smith

john_smith

• 242 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:44

Not sure if im convinced that those three make up 20% of the population TBH but anyway my point was not about ONE's coverage, but those without HD receivers or still using analogue equipment (for whatever reason).

the number of people who are worse off now - people in the eastern states with HD equipment plus the western states, vastly outnumber the people who have benefited from this move - people with only SD equipment in the eastern states.

#479 IMOA

IMOA

• 26 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:59

It's not hard to look up populations, WA is about 2.2, SA 1.6 and NT .25 so around 20% of the population

As of the end of last year 82% of Australian households had either a digital TV or digital stb, stats here http://www.digitalre...tv-reports.aspx

In itself thats about the same number however what matters is those that haven't converted who actually want to watch F1 live compared to who can no longer watch F1 live. For your argument to work you have to believe that there is the same percentage of people in the 18% remaining to convert to digital in the Eastern states that want to watch F1 live (but haven't paid $50 for a stb in the last two years when they have had access to it live on One but delayed on Ten) compared with the people who watch F1 in WA, SA and NT. There's no way someone could reasonably argue that.

Advertisement

#480 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:22

http://www.theaustra...d-1226335722978

:up:

'digital activists' making some progress then.
nice to see this thread is going in the right direction again.

#481 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:36

the number of people who are worse off now - people in the eastern states with HD equipment plus the western states, vastly outnumber the people who have benefited from this move - people with only SD equipment in the eastern states.

It's not hard to look up populations, WA is about 2.2, SA 1.6 and NT .25 so around 20% of the population

As of the end of last year 82% of Australian households had either a digital TV or digital stb, stats here http://www.digitalre...tv-reports.aspx

In itself thats about the same number however what matters is those that haven't converted who actually want to watch F1 live compared to who can no longer watch F1 live. For your argument to work you have to believe that there is the same percentage of people in the 18% remaining to convert to digital in the Eastern states that want to watch F1 live (but haven't paid $50 for a stb in the last two years when they have had access to it live on One but delayed on Ten) compared with the people who watch F1 in WA, SA and NT. There's no way someone could reasonably argue that.

Im not making an argument, Im asking for something to back up what youre arguing, and so far Im yet to see it. You just cant make up definitive statements like yours based on statistics you dont have. You may be right, the same as you may be wrong.

And the figures youve given dont back up anything, if anything its hurting your view. 18% of people cant get any digital coverage. So if only 3% of the population have SD STB's then their potential market is higher this new way.
Ie. that would give 21% of the population who cant get ONE versus the 20% you quote for SA/NT/WA.

#482 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:44

signed.

#483 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:50

I live in Melbourne but didn't even know about all this, as I watch the races in a bar on Ten + on a Sky Sports streaming simultaneously.

Signed, then.

Edited by AdHoc, 24 April 2012 - 05:51.

#484 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:12

0417 704 819 - Catherine Donovan from Ten Sport is the best number to air your concerns about the lack of live F1 coverage on One.
She doesn't seem to be taking many calls at the moment but i think if we all persist then hopefully someone will get through and explain how frustrated the motorsport loving public are. Her office number is 02 9650 1254.

It will probably frustrate her if we all call at once... maybe this is the best way to demonstrate our frustrations however... I'll leave it to you to decide. I have her on speed dial myself. :wave:

http://au.linkedin.c...ovan/15/702/79b

Edited by Italiano Tifoso, 24 April 2012 - 06:12.

#485 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 194 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:29

Not if they just run the same shows though, that's my point. They run HD in OZ as a separate channel instead of a duplicate channel for those who are wiling to pay for it.

SBS HD is just SBS1 but in HD.

Channel 10/One used to be amazing for this. Every football match was simulcast in HD one One from the time the channel started, until halfway through last season when they just gave up after the management change (that was partially good because it gave us live F1 qualy) meaning we only got the games in SD and even the GRAND FINAL ffs. That was a pathetic 7-like effort.

By the way, I heard on SEN today that some guy who used to run sport at 7 is now the MD of 10/One. Any Aussie who knows how pathetic 7's treatment of sport (and lack of HD sport) is, can see why this shit is happening.

#486 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:36

Thank you for your email.

Please be advised our National Marketing Manager is continually providing feedback for Channel 10 who are currently reviewing the situation.

For further assistance please contact Shannons on 13 46 46.

Regards

#487 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:37

0417 704 819 - Catherine Donovan from Ten Sport is the best number to air your concerns about the lack of live F1 coverage on One.
She doesn't seem to be taking many calls at the moment but i think if we all persist then hopefully someone will get through and explain how frustrated the motorsport loving public are. Her office number is 02 9650 1254.

It will probably frustrate her if we all call at once... maybe this is the best way to demonstrate our frustrations however... I'll leave it to you to decide. I have her on speed dial myself. :wave:

http://au.linkedin.c...ovan/15/702/79b

I am sending her a text as we speak!

#488 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:45

You are a bit late - Channel 10 just reversed their decision.

F1 fans win!!!

#489 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:49

LINK?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

#490 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:53

http://tensport.com....t-statement.htm

Ten Sport, Published Date:Apr 24, 2012, 16:58M

Network Ten is committed to bringing Formula One and MotoGP to more viewers and building motorsport’s television presence in Australia.

This was achieved successfully on Sunday night (April 22), when running Round 4 - Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix on TEN produced a 46% increase in viewers in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane compared with the same round last year.
As a result, Network Ten’s broadcast of Formula One and MotoGP will remain live on TEN in the Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane markets.

But we recognise that viewers in Adelaide and Perth want live sport. We acknowledge the concerns expressed by some viewers in those cities about the delayed telecast of Sunday night’s race.

Network Ten has, therefore, decided to broadcast Formula One and MotoGP in Adelaide and Perth live on ONE. Viewers in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will continue to receive the broadcast live on TEN.

#491 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:54

So east coast still get bloody SD whilst west coast get HD grrrr!

#492 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,853 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:02

christ are you ever happy?

#493 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:06

christ are you ever happy?

What's up your butt ? I want to watch F1 in a decent quality. The image was extremely poor. I'm sorry you find it acceptable to go back to SD!

Edited by redbarron, 24 April 2012 - 08:09.

#494 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:07

So east coast still get bloody SD whilst west coast get HD grrrr!

Not good enough.

#495 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:14

Where to now gents, we've come this far we might as well see it through! I don't know how else to get the HD point across and Ten conveniently doesn't have a comment box below the press release.

#496 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:16

Incredible! Congratulations!

#497 Italiano Tifoso

Italiano Tifoso

• 1,888 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:18

Congrats and many thanks to Channel 10. Not for doing the right thing (as this coverage error of judgement should not have happened to begin with) but for listening to your audience and doing the best thing for your sponsors with speed.

Well done to everyone who voiced their frustration in a concerted and mature way. This is the best first step in achieving the targeted outcome for all viewers.

There is still the issue of HD/SD for the Eastern States and this cannot be ignored, however the largest battle to ensure we all at least get to see the race live seems to have been achieved; but we must remember it takes two.

Thanks Ten Management for listening and responding. Big respect!

#498 clipper

clipper

• 813 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:24

if anyone is following mark webber on twitter, maybe ask him to retweet someone about the change, also Dan Riccardo being from WA he might be of help if the WA audiences are on delay now (don't know if he is on twitter)

I'm guessing that the best time to get them to retweet would be next week after the bahrain GP

ideal situation would be them to boycott any 10 interviews during the course of the GP weekend!

step 1 achieved and it maybe came with a little help from an aussie abroad!

Mark Webber ‏ @AussieGrit Close
Come on @tensporttv @onehd I hear out great Australian motor sport fans are not happy with rescheduling of timings of the GPs. #letsgolive

hey I suggested it a couple of days back!! lol

Edited by clipper, 24 April 2012 - 09:28.

#499 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:25

http://tensport.com....t-statement.htm

This was achieved successfully on Sunday night (April 22), when running Round 4 - Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix on TEN produced a 46% increase in viewers in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane compared with the same round last year.
As a result, Network Ten’s broadcast of Formula One and MotoGP will remain live on TEN in the Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane markets.

It's funny how there was no Bahrain last year lol

Advertisement

#500 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 205 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:27

Good news for this South Australian. Well done to everyone who has kept up the pressure. Obviously the SD / HD issue is still there but this is a great first step.