Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#501 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:42

It's funny how there was no Bahrain last year lol

And they blindingly think it has to do with the rescheduling which is nonsense. There is not one but two Aussies on the grid, and Ricciardo would have brought a lot of people from WA into the sport, not to mention the first 3 races prior to Bahrain were 3 great races. But of course, it must be down to Ten's popularity, I wonder why they didn't post the ratings difference from China to Bahrain? I'd be interested to know what they were.

Advertisement

#502 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,420 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:47

live for all is better than HD for some. The difference between live and delayed is much larger than between HD and SD. And I live in brisbane by the way.

Don't worry, they will probs make a mess of it anyway and revert back to one in a few races haha

#503 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:55

Yeah I agree... it's completely different watching when it's not live. Anyway happy with this reversal from 10... live and HD for me now. :)

#504 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:48

So what happens when masterchef goes over time on ten? Delayed broadcast is my guess!

#505 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:00

Masterchef may run overtime but not by 30mins+ - you can bank on it going 10-15mins but not more than that.

Just means that we get less of Rust/Beattie/Baird in the pre-race show. Which is a shame...

#506 Burt007

Burt007

• 11 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:39

OK, so Channel Ten have back flipped on there decision to telecast F1 on SD instead of HD, and delayed by 2 hours instead of live. People power wins!...I too was a part of the campaign, emailing and telephoning Ten, OneHD and sponsors of both channels, but somehow......you know........I still feel empty.

Bit of history and background for you.....I was a part of the vigorous campaign to improve the Channel Nine telecast from around the early 90's. Races were delayed by 4 hours for some instances, with no decent pre-race show and most times no interviews after the race. That battle went on for a decade until Channel Ten took over.

Ten's efforts were great - even recruiting a retired Murray Walker to commentate on the Australian GP one year...then we started to get Qualifying....delayed on a Saturday night, but hey we got to see it! Then the telecast switched to OneHD....HD!!! Brilliant!!! Races started to be shown live season long, with full pre-race shows, Qualifying too was live the day before.....it was great! Steps forward one after the other........

This latest programming decision by Channel Ten (and subsequent semi-back flip) has been a backwards step in the broadcast history of Formula One in this country...the first backwards step ever. I feel the same today as when they grounded Concorde...it wasn't replaced by something better, faster or a more beautiful machine...in fact at that moment, for the first time aviation took a backwards step.

Where do we go from here? Well I wont give in until we get....well...what we had! HD telecast Live Nation wide. That is not a step forward Channel Ten, it is simply getting you back to where you were.

A step forward would be to also telecast F1 Live on Channel 10, so ALL of Australia, wherever you are in this great country, can enjoy the sport I have so much passion for.

Now that would be a step forward.....

Are you listening Ten?

Brett Mohen

#507 silver fan

silver fan

• 3,104 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:01

Good news for people in WA & SA but I'll stick to downloading a HD rip from Pirate Bay untill we get HD broadcasts live.

#508 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:12

christ are you ever happy?

No, and i'm not either.

#509 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:20

glad my motorsport brethren in the western states get it live now.

#510 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 13:28

They really are ****ing hopeless, JUST RUN IT ONE 10 AND ONE AT THE SAME ****ing TIME NUMBNUTS.

#511 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:01

They really are ****ing hopeless, JUST RUN IT ONE 10 AND ONE AT THE SAME ****ing TIME NUMBNUTS.

mate Your not serious are ya ? that would be the dumbest thing they could do ! (commercially )

#512 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:02

glad my motorsport brethren in the western states get it live now.

same here that was my biggest gripe about the recent changes Ten made . at the end of the day its all LIVE now and thats what matters.

#513 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:09

OK, so Channel Ten have back flipped on there decision to telecast F1 on SD instead of HD, and delayed by 2 hours instead of live. People power wins!...I too was a part of the campaign, emailing and telephoning Ten, OneHD and sponsors of both channels, but somehow......you know........I still feel empty.

Bit of history and background for you.....I was a part of the vigorous campaign to improve the Channel Nine telecast from around the early 90's. Races were delayed by 4 hours for some instances, with no decent pre-race show and most times no interviews after the race. That battle went on for a decade until Channel Ten took over.

Ten's efforts were great - even recruiting a retired Murray Walker to commentate on the Australian GP one year...then we started to get Qualifying....delayed on a Saturday night, but hey we got to see it! Then the telecast switched to OneHD....HD!!! Brilliant!!! Races started to be shown live season long, with full pre-race shows, Qualifying too was live the day before.....it was great! Steps forward one after the other........

This latest programming decision by Channel Ten (and subsequent semi-back flip) has been a backwards step in the broadcast history of Formula One in this country...the first backwards step ever. I feel the same today as when they grounded Concorde...it wasn't replaced by something better, faster or a more beautiful machine...in fact at that moment, for the first time aviation took a backwards step.

Where do we go from here? Well I wont give in until we get....well...what we had! HD telecast Live Nation wide. That is not a step forward Channel Ten, it is simply getting you back to where you were.

A step forward would be to also telecast F1 Live on Channel 10, so ALL of Australia, wherever you are in this great country, can enjoy the sport I have so much passion for.

Now that would be a step forward.....

why cant you or anyone else understand that ten who are a business made a business decision to boost the channles profit margin as its known fact that they are in dire straights in regards to profits .

we as viewers would love the best of everything but there comes a time when you gotto be sensible bout it especially coming from someone like you who like me lived through that channel 9 debarcle of not only putting up with delayed broadcasts but also the two clowns hosting it namely that Eastlake fella.

what was important was the west coast getting LIVE broadcast and that has been now achieved .

#514 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 102 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:16

What's up your butt ? I want to watch F1 in a decent quality. The image was extremely poor. I'm sorry you find it acceptable to go back to SD!

are you kidding ?

go get your eyes checked out or buy a new TV ! what a bunch of precious little you know what you and the rest of the HD crowd are ! \

fairly simple if you dont like what you get for free pick up the remote control and switch it off stop getting ulcers about it.

#515 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:42

are you kidding ?

go get your eyes checked out or buy a new TV ! what a bunch of precious little you know what you and the rest of the HD crowd are ! \

fairly simple if you dont like what you get for free pick up the remote control and switch it off stop getting ulcers about it.

The way some people go they make SD sound like it is un-watchable. How did they cope for so long with only SD for most of their lives? :drunk:

Edited by peacockantony, 24 April 2012 - 20:42.

#516 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:17

The way some people go they make SD sound like it is un-watchable. How did they cope for so long with only SD for most of their lives? :drunk:

For the 50th time, on a TV half the size. Everyone promises HD this and HD that so you go out and buy a decent set then they throw a quarter of the pixels at you.

#517 silver fan

silver fan

• 3,104 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:57

I'll be glad when the analogue signal is finally shut down in Australia. At least then the Networks willl no longer have an excuse to be pumping out SD signals for the benefit of a few people who are still using CRT televisions without digital tuners.

#518 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,053 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 23:51

It will probaly come to that,simulcast on 1 & 10 for the F-1 GP,thats assuming Lachlan doesn't have another agenda,read Foxtel,in mind.

Edited by Ian G, 25 April 2012 - 02:51.

#519 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 23:58

Whatever makes you think that having Foxtel somehow breaks your TV antenna? You use av inputs, not the antenna, to get the signal from the foxtel box to a TV.

This decision means that more than 95% of australians can no longer get F1 in HD but more importantly 20% of australians can no longer get F1 live and every F1 fan is the country should be incensed by that.

I know how Foxtel works. But a lot of people who have Foxtel no longer have their TV hooked up to an antenna because it is redundant.

Advertisement

#520 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 00:17

I'll be glad when the analogue signal is finally shut down in Australia. At least then the Networks willl no longer have an excuse to be pumping out SD signals for the benefit of a few people who are still using CRT televisions without digital tuners.

That won't change anything, at least not for a while. Digital does not equall HD. Many people have digital TV but can only get SD. So even once analog gets turned off there will still be many people who won't be able to watch HD TV.

#521 silver fan

silver fan

• 3,104 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 00:37

That won't change anything, at least not for a while. Digital does not equall HD. Many people have digital TV but can only get SD. So even once analog gets turned off there will still be many people who won't be able to watch HD TV.

As long as the television has a digital tuner then it should be able to accept a HD signal, it may not be able to display it, instead it will scale it back to either 576i or 480p. The point is Networks will no longer have to piggy back a largly redundant analogue signal on the digital signal in doing so chewing up already limited bandwidth.

#522 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 123 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:09

I know how Foxtel works. But a lot of people who have Foxtel no longer have their TV hooked up to an antenna because it is redundant.

No one I know only has foxtel and not FTA...

#523 Burt007

Burt007

• 11 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:33

why cant you or anyone else understand that ten who are a business made a business decision to boost the channles profit margin as its known fact that they are in dire straights in regards to profits .

we as viewers would love the best of everything but there comes a time when you gotto be sensible bout it especially coming from someone like you who like me lived through that channel 9 debarcle of not only putting up with delayed broadcasts but also the two clowns hosting it namely that Eastlake fella.

what was important was the west coast getting LIVE broadcast and that has been now achieved .

Mr Muzzy, I do understand business decisions - please don't patronize me.....Re-read what I said....10 years we spent trying to IMPROVE channel 9's coverage.......2 weeks we spent trying to GET BACK from Channel 10 what we already had! We had live telecasts here in WA, we campaigned to get it back!

The fact Channel 10 management have miss-managed their company, to the point where income streams are strained and the company is not making a profit.....well that is up to them to rectify WITHOUT turning viewers away.

#524 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:41

His point is that if you have fox you don't use an antenna.Your FTA feed comes through the fox box.That was a long standing argument that Fox wasn't allowed to carry the FTA channels via its set top box due to the FTA channels arguing about it impinging on their rights or some such.Fox won that (minor) battle so people who have it don't have to switch between boxes to watch Fox or FTA.Sounds trivial but there was a protracted fight over it a few years ago believe it or not.

#525 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:41

And plenty of people I know dont have it. Mostly because that don't have digital as they get all the TV through Foxtel.

Up until a few years ago there was no need for an antenna if you had cable. Every show on FTA was there on pay tv. It is only with the new FTA channels that there is a need for people to have an antenna hooked up get everything. For those who got cable in the 90's their antenna by now would be mostly useless.

#526 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:43

Jinx  ;)

#527 IMOA

IMOA

• 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:50

His point is that if you have fox you don't use an antenna.Your FTA feed comes through the fox box.That was a long standing argument that Fox wasn't allowed to carry the FTA channels via its set top box due to the FTA channels arguing about it impinging on their rights or some such.Fox won that (minor) battle so people who have it don't have to switch between boxes to watch Fox or FTA.Sounds trivial but there was a protracted fight over it a few years ago believe it or not.

I disagree, the point that was being made was that people with non HD foxtel didn't have access to HD channels, this is false, all they need to do is plug an antenna into their TV. It is absurd to suggest that needing to plug an antenna into a TV is somehow the same as not having access to digital channels.

Another point that was being made was that the 20% who lost live coverage would be less than the people in eastern states who gained live coverage. This is also absurd because a HD set top box is $30 which would allow almost anyone in the eastern states access to the live coverage.

By comparison the only means those living in SA, WA and NT had to access live coverage was to fly to the eastern states. I'm simply incredulous that on an F1 forum that people would defend that situation as being acceptable, and worse, actually an improvement.

#528 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:19

I disagree, the point that was being made was that people with non HD foxtel didn't have access to HD channels, this is false, all they need to do is plug an antenna into their TV. It is absurd to suggest that needing to plug an antenna into a TV is somehow the same as not having access to digital channels.

That wasn't the point at all. You are simply assuming what the point was then making an argument against it.

Many people who have Foxtel do not have an antenna linked up to their TV. Some don't even have one on their roof, and if they do if may not even work anymore. Until the extra digital channels came along there was no need for an antenna for over a decade if you had pay tv. For those people they do not have access to One, and to get it may cost hundreds of dollars in installing a new antenna as well as possibly a HD set top box.

Now of course many people who have Foxtel do have an antenna linked to their TV. So even with SD Foxtel they can still get the HD channels. It is obvious that they are not the ones being referred to, and it was part of an argument as to why channel Ten would move it off One. Who has actual access right now to One vs Ten is something that Ten will take into account. That was the point.

Another point that was being made was that the 20% who lost live coverage would be less than the people in eastern states who gained live coverage. This is also absurd because a HD set top box is $30 which would allow almost anyone in the eastern states access to the live coverage.

How is it absurd? Unless they already have the HD set top box they don't actually have access. Yes they have the potential to get it if they go to the shop and buy one. But until they do how is it absurd to say that many people of the east do not currently have access to One? It is an unquestionable fact. Again, who has actual access right now to One vs Ten is something that Ten will take into account.

By comparison the only means those living in SA, WA and NT had to access live coverage was to fly to the eastern states. I'm simply incredulous that on an F1 forum that people would defend that situation as being acceptable, and worse, actually an improvement.

I think you are serious missing the argument in this thread. You complain that people are wrong for defending Ten when 20% of the nation will no longer have live access (Even though I said these people were being shafted. As in i am not defending the move, but simply explaining what might be the reasoning behind Tens decision). Did you notice this took place in an argument about F1 moving to Foxtel? If that happened the majority of people will not be able to watch it at all. Why aren't you getting pissed about that?

Edited by Jazza, 25 April 2012 - 05:25.

#529 IMOA

IMOA

• 26 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:31

That wasn't the point at all. You are simply assuming what the point was then making an argument against it.

Many people who have Foxtel do not have an antenna linked up to their TV. Some don't even have one on their roof, and if they do if may not even work anymore. Until the extra digital channels came along there was no need for an antenna for over a decade if you had pay tv. For those people they do not have access to One, and to get it may cost hundreds of dollars in installing a new antenna as well as possibly a HD set top box.

Now of course many people who have Foxtel do have an antenna linked to their TV. So even with SD Foxtel they can still get the HD channels. It is obvious that they are not the ones being referred to, and it was part of an argument as to why channel Ten would move it off One. Who has actual access right now to One vs Ten is something that Ten will take into account. That was the point.

I disagree, you said

Considering that a large percentage of people still cant get HD (a lot of them being Foxtel viewers who do not have the HD pack, and because they have cable they no longer have a working antenna on the TV) last nights race would have been watchable live by more people than had it been on One (Even taking into account the western states being shafted).

To me I read that as a lot of people don't have access to HD (very few don't, see the list of the regional stations carrying HD) and a lot of those are 'because they have cable they no longer have a working antenna on the TV' which is simply false. You've also specifically stated that this group is larger than the 20% of australians who lost live coverage.

And fwiw I am one of those people with non HD foxtel because my apartment block isn't wired for it, on the very rare occasions we have an outage on the TV antenna on the roof (usually during a storm) I unplug the cord from the wall and stick a coat hanger in the end. Not pretty but it works. Options (even if that means spending $30 on a set top box or a lot less on some rabbit ears) is always better than no options.

How is it absurd? Unless they already have the HD set top box they don't actually have access. Yes they have the potential to get it if they go to the shop and buy one. But until they do how is it absurd to say that many people of the east do not currently have access to One? It is an unquestionable fact. Again, who has actual access right now to One vs Ten is something that Ten will take into account.

They do have access, they have simply not chosen to take the very simple, very cheap steps to exercise that access. The people in WA,SA and NT would completely lose that access and have no reasonable steps to remedy that. I think you're also forgetting that the eastern states have had live coverage on One and delayed coverage on Ten for a few years now so your group of people benefiting in the eastern states is limited to those who have had the ability to watch live F1 for a number of years but to date haven't bothered. Your argument is that the group of people in the eastern states that have never bothered either getting a set top box or plugging an antenna into the back of their TV who now want to watch live F1 is larger than all the people in WA, SA and NT who have been watching live F1 for the past few years. That is absurd.

I think you are serious missing the argument in this thread. You complain that people are wrong for defending Ten when 20% of the nation will no longer have live access (Even though I said these people were being shafted. As in i am not defending the move, but simply explaining what might be the reasoning behind Tens decision). Did you notice this took place in an argument about F1 moving to Foxtel? If that happened the majority of people will not be able to watch it at all. Why aren't you getting pissed about that?

Thats fair, I was merging the comments from a few different people and so not all I said was in response to you. I do think your reasoning that more people would get access to live F1 with the move to Ten is absurd though, it was all about shoring up ratings on the main channel with little regard for their actual customers.

Edited by IMOA, 25 April 2012 - 06:32.

#530 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:34

I disagree, you said

To me I read that as a lot of people don't have access to HD (very few don't, see the list of the regional stations carrying HD) and a lot of those are 'because they have cable they no longer have a working antenna on the TV' which is simply false. You've also specifically stated that this group is larger than the 20% of australians who lost live coverage.

And fwiw I am one of those people with non HD foxtel because my apartment block isn't wired for it, on the very rare occasions we have an outage on the TV antenna on the roof (usually during a storm) I unplug the cord from the wall and stick a coat hanger in the end. Not pretty but it works. Options (even if that means spending $30 on a set top box or a lot less on some rabbit ears) is always better than no options.

They do have access, they have simply not chosen to take the very simple, very cheap steps to exercise that access. The people in WA,SA and NT would completely lose that access and have no reasonable steps to remedy that. I think you're also forgetting that the eastern states have had live coverage on One and delayed coverage on Ten for a few years now so your group of people benefiting in the eastern states is limited to those who have had the ability to watch live F1 for a number of years but to date haven't bothered. Your argument is that the group of people in the eastern states that have never bothered either getting a set top box or plugging an antenna into the back of their TV who now want to watch live F1 is larger than all the people in WA, SA and NT who have been watching live F1 for the past few years. That is absurd.

Thats fair, I was merging the comments from a few different people and so not all I said was in response to you. I do think your reasoning that more people would get access to live F1 with the move to Ten is absurd though, it was all about shoring up ratings on the main channel with little regard for their actual customers.

Sorry, but what I find "absurd" is your definition of the word "access". What you call access is actually availability, which is a completely different thing. Just because someone has channel One available in their area does not mean they have access to it. To access those airwaves you need particular equipment (a HD ready TV/ HD STB) to do so. Without that equipment you can't access that channel. If we were take your definition of access, then I have access to Optus, Vodafone, Virgin mobile Telephone/broadband simple because I live in their coverage area, even though I have a Telstra sim. The reality is that I do not have access to them at all, they are simply available if I am willing to pay to have access to them. Likewise, I can not claim to have access to a Ferrari or a 100 meter Yacht. They are however available for purchase. So I fail to see how these people have "access" to channel One, just by living in an area that has coverage. Until they have it on a television screen in front of them, they don't actually have access to it.

This issue of having actual access therefore effects the argument about the 20% of the population losing live coverage, (WA, NT, SA), and how the people in east who now get it live don't make up for that number (that 20%). This is because you are ignoring the people in the west who didn't have it live either. Not everyone in WA, NT, SA has access to One (which reduces that 20% number substantially). These people in the west who can't access One would all be sitting up till 11:30/12 to watch Tens repeated coverage, or having to miss out all together because it is on too late. The fact is that almost every TV in Australia has access to Ten, while far less have One coverage. When you take into account all the people who still have Analogue, SD digital only, people who rely solely on cable with no antenna, or simple do not live in an area where there is One coverage at all, then it wouldn't surprise me if only half the TV's in the entire nation actually have access to One. So yes people who haven't upgraded in the east now have F1 live, and people in the West who haven't upgraded now have F1 at a reasonable time. If half of your 20% no longer have it live (as the other half never had access to live coverage anyway), and 80% of the population now have it live (when probably only half of that actually has access to One before hand), a huge amount of people (80%) now have live coverage, while the rest (20%) have F1 coverage at a reasonable time (9:30pm). Before about 50% had it live (those who actually have One on their TV), and the other 50% had it at about 11:30pm (Those relying on Ten).

So when you take all these things into account, how is it "absurd" that having F1 on Ten will now reach more people than One? from a straight out selling of commercial time channel Ten seems the better choice when it comes to people actually watching F1 on their TV.

Edited by Jazza, 26 April 2012 - 07:19.

#531 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:41

are you kidding ?

and cassettes sound just as good as CD's, right? :lol:
love the irony of the 'get your eyes checked' part though. quality stuff.

Edited by lbennie, 26 April 2012 - 05:52.

#532 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:47

Only the people who aren't tech savvy / don't care about quality. The FTA channels look a lot worse via foxtel, one HD in particular.

#533 fourseven

fourseven

• 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:55

We're not finished yet. The site has been redesigned, we're getting more signatures, and we'll continue until our demands have been met.

If you haven't visited already, now is the time to do so! www.boycotttensport.com

Edited by fourseven, 26 April 2012 - 07:58.

#534 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:26

Only the people who aren't tech savvy / don't care about quality. The FTA channels look a lot worse via foxtel, one HD in particular.

I never had HD Foxtel, but you are right about the lower quality. I mentioned a few pages back that I think a lot of the Foxtel users complaining about it being SD are probably thinking that Foxtel Ten is what we all get. SD through the antenna is a lot clearer.

As for people not being tech savvy and indifferent to quality... Surely that is the greater majority of people? The fact many people pay to have their new TV professionally installed (mostly having the TV placed on a cabinet and a couple of cables stuck in the back) shows how little many people know about these things.

#535 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:26

I never had HD Foxtel, but you are right about the lower quality. I mentioned a few pages back that I think a lot of the Foxtel users complaining about it being SD are probably thinking that Foxtel Ten is what we all get. SD through the antenna is a lot clearer.

As for people not being tech savvy and indifferent to quality... Surely that is the greater majority of people? The fact many people pay to have their new TV professionally installed (mostly having the TV placed on a cabinet and a couple of cables stuck in the back) shows how little many people know about these things.

Hmmm... if that is the case then is there an actual technical reason for it? Or is it Foxtel being a bit naughty?

I have a 46inch HDLCD tv and in all honesty, while I would prefer the races be broadcast in HD the SD picture quality is acceptible to me - as long as I get the races live. Certainly MUCH better than watching an internet stream. However, I do get my SD via the aerial - so if the quality is significantly degraded in comparison when viewed via Foxtel then that would suck, but hey - that's Murdoch for you... :p

#536 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 13:36

What's up your butt ? I want to watch F1 in a decent quality. The image was extremely poor. I'm sorry you find it acceptable to go back to SD!

You know what it is? It's the whinging and refusal to make any compromise in the pursuit of you* getting 100% your way. (*you being a general term for a lot of people, not you personally)
We are moving way ahead of the Poms as far as whinging goes and worst part of it is that people start to act like bitchy schoolgirls when they dont get exactly what they want.

We now have F1 available to ALL tv's in Australia, thats a pretty good move from that perspective. I doubt the people who may start to follow F1 because they never saw it before on their SD receivers aren't happy with the move. Yes its a pity that the East coast loses HD but is everyone that selfish that they would rather deprive others of any coverage so they gain more pixels?

There's a refusal to acknowledge the realities of the situation too. Network Ten needs to make money, its been said that they're in financial difficulties and need to take action. Did they handle it poorly ... most likely, but if they go to the wall then a lot of good entertainment would be lost and shift more control to the other networks to do as they please.
This combined with the legal requirements of network management to act in the shareholders best interests (ie make as much money as possible) drive these decsions, but that seemingly cannot be acknowledged.

Also the complainers may also want to think about the fact that they've bought the upper end equipment for a technology thats still very much transitional. I mean we still have a 4:3 analogue signal being beamed around for CRT tellys. There's restrictions in place on the number of HD channels each network can show because of this and this severely restricts their programming choices. But once again, the 'me me me' uncompromising attitude rears its head and you expect everyone to have that upper end of equipment (60" HD etc).
In ten years time when the analogue signal is confined to history then you'll have a point but not in this transitional period.
There has also been a lack of response to how close people sit to their tv to see this marked difference that is being claimed. I guess its easier to call everyone else stupid than admit that maybe you bought a tv too big for your room.

Instead of dealing with any of these realities, too many people revert to bitchy personal attacks which are just poor form. Should mods get involved? Hell no, but some of these people should be man enough to recognise when they've overstepped and take a step back. Attack the content of posts, not the poster with some childish idea (eg the you cant see, get some glasses type of crap)

Thats probably whats 'up my butt' ... .whinging bitches, whinging uncompromising bitches.

#537 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 13:37

Hmmm... if that is the case then is there an actual technical reason for it? Or is it Foxtel being a bit naughty?

I have a 46inch HDLCD tv and in all honesty, while I would prefer the races be broadcast in HD the SD picture quality is acceptible to me - as long as I get the races live. Certainly MUCH better than watching an internet stream. However, I do get my SD via the aerial - so if the quality is significantly degraded in comparison when viewed via Foxtel then that would suck, but hey - that's Murdoch for you... :p

No expert on this, but I believe it is a matter of having a low bitrate. Apparently Foxtel struggle to fit all the channels in and therefore have to compress each channel lowering the image quality. Some of their HD channels (such as WHD) have a worse bitrate than even some of their SD channels.

Despite the calls of many HD fanatics, being HD does not always give you a better image than SD. It's not just about resolution. This is something that can be experienced on YouTube, when videos with a low pixel count can look a lot better than some of the higher ones.

Edited by Jazza, 26 April 2012 - 15:53.

#538 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 433 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 14:23

You know what it is? It's the whinging and refusal to make any compromise in the pursuit of you* getting 100% your way. (*you being a general term for a lot of people, not you personally)
We are moving way ahead of the Poms as far as whinging goes and worst part of it is that people start to act like bitchy schoolgirls when they dont get exactly what they want.

We now have F1 available to ALL tv's in Australia, thats a pretty good move from that perspective. I doubt the people who may start to follow F1 because they never saw it before on their SD receivers aren't happy with the move. Yes its a pity that the East coast loses HD but is everyone that selfish that they would rather deprive others of any coverage so they gain more pixels?

There's a refusal to acknowledge the realities of the situation too. Network Ten needs to make money, its been said that they're in financial difficulties and need to take action. Did they handle it poorly ... most likely, but if they go to the wall then a lot of good entertainment would be lost and shift more control to the other networks to do as they please.
This combined with the legal requirements of network management to act in the shareholders best interests (ie make as much money as possible) drive these decsions, but that seemingly cannot be acknowledged.

Also the complainers may also want to think about the fact that they've bought the upper end equipment for a technology thats still very much transitional. I mean we still have a 4:3 analogue signal being beamed around for CRT tellys. There's restrictions in place on the number of HD channels each network can show because of this and this severely restricts their programming choices. But once again, the 'me me me' uncompromising attitude rears its head and you expect everyone to have that upper end of equipment (60" HD etc).
In ten years time when the analogue signal is confined to history then you'll have a point but not in this transitional period.
There has also been a lack of response to how close people sit to their tv to see this marked difference that is being claimed. I guess its easier to call everyone else stupid than admit that maybe you bought a tv too big for your room.

Instead of dealing with any of these realities, too many people revert to bitchy personal attacks which are just poor form. Should mods get involved? Hell no, but some of these people should be man enough to recognise when they've overstepped and take a step back. Attack the content of posts, not the poster with some childish idea (eg the you cant see, get some glasses type of crap)

Thats probably whats 'up my butt' ... .whinging bitches, whinging uncompromising bitches.

cuz we want to watch F1 the best way possible live and in HD. ****ing deal with it mate. You can have your shitty SD and 4:3 CRT and never go beyond that until the day you die, whilst the rest of us keep up with technology and have the best possible viewing experience. If we never complained F1 wouldn't be live today AT ALL. Or do you want to go back to listening to it on the radio when it wasn't even on tv? your the type of person that is happy to stagnate whilst you whinge and bitch at everyone else for moving forward.

#539 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,426 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 14:54

You know what it is?

To a degree i agree with you but the solution is there, frankly the government should switch off analog like they did here because until they do that there's people that hang on to the old way for the sake of saving $35 on a set top box. That makes it difficult because in reality even the basic channels should be HD like they are here so everyone wins, instead you've got this half arsed SD/HD system that forces 10 into making some odd decisions. Given the time of night and the relatively low viewing numbers you do wonder why 10 cannot just simulcast on both channels and keep everyone happy except the 17 people that watch the netball or whatever they would be playing instead at the same time. That's why i asked for the viewing figures on ONE last week during the GP, add the numbers to the 10 F1 ratings and see what the total is, experiment one week with the simulcast and see what the total is ..... it may be closer than people think.

SD to me is as bad as black and white or a cassette tape, was fine at the time but as soon as colour or CD's came out you never looked back. Frankly i'd prefer to stream cos then i can leave the TV to the mrs or what not cos the quality is about the same.

Advertisement

#540 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,850 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:02

Sardukar - Thanks! Thanks for giving a perfect example of the arrogance and lack of understanding of people in a different suituation than you.
Lets have a little look-see at what you dribbled:

cuz

Great start ...

we want to watch F1 the best way possible live and in HD. ****ing deal with it mate.

Exactly, You want, while other people need an SD or analogue signal. So youre happy to selfishly deprive other people....nice.

You can have your shitty SD and 4:3 CRT and never go beyond that until the day you die, whilst the rest of us keep up with technology and have the best possible viewing experience.

Please show me where I said I want SD and 4:3? In fact I stated earlier that i have a HD telly, albeit only 720. What I want is the best outcome for the most people, a concept you seem to be unable to come to terms with.

If we never complained F1 wouldn't be live today AT ALL.

A bold statement .... any facts to back it up?

your the type of person that is happy to stagnate whilst you whinge and bitch at everyone else for moving forward.

And thats it! The toys are out of the pram! Making assumptions about what I want when you clearly dont know shit from clay. Im pointing out that analogue-to-digital is still transitional and everyone needs to make concessions during this time and you read that as im complaining about people buying HD tv's? Wow!

To a degree i agree with you but the solution is there, frankly the government should switch off analog like they did here because until they do that there's people that hang on to the old way for the sake of saving $35 on a set top box. That makes it difficult because in reality even the basic channels should be HD like they are here so everyone wins, instead you've got this half arsed SD/HD system that forces 10 into making some odd decisions. Given the time of night and the relatively low viewing numbers you do wonder why 10 cannot just simulcast on both channels and keep everyone happy except the 17 people that watch the netball or whatever they would be playing instead at the same time. That's why i asked for the viewing figures on ONE last week during the GP, add the numbers to the 10 F1 ratings and see what the total is, experiment one week with the simulcast and see what the total is ..... it may be closer than people think.

SD to me is as bad as black and white or a cassette tape, was fine at the time but as soon as colour or CD's came out you never looked back. Frankly i'd prefer to stream cos then i can leave the TV to the mrs or what not cos the quality is about the same.

No doubt the decision to keep analogue waaaay past its intended shut off date is political as the majority of those requiring it are probably older and the grey vote is important. Theres been some movement towards it providing free or cheap receivers though (dont know much about the details though). Id say that it has been hastened becuase of that and the shut off is finally occurring.

Although I still think the simulcast would bring up problems behind the scenes between networks and advertisers. If they just show the same ads on both then Shannons etc are getting twice as much airtime for the same outlay and TEN management/shareholders wont be comfortable with that. And if they run different ads on the 2 channels then advertisers may be pissed cause they paid to advertise to the (formerly captive) F1 audience. Now if theyre only catching ONE viewers theyre not getting what they wanted/agreed to.
Of course all speculation but since no one here knows what the details of their agreements are then were all just stabbing in the dark.

Edited by Brother Fox, 27 April 2012 - 01:04.

#541 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:04

Sardukar - Thanks! Thanks for giving a perfect example of the arrogance and lack of understanding of people in a different suituation than you.
Lets have a little look-see at what you dribbled:

Great start ...

Exactly, You want, while other people need an SD or analogue signal. So youre happy to selfishly deprive other people....nice.

Please show me where I said I want SD and 4:3? In fact I stated earlier that i have a HD telly, albeit only 720. What I want is the best outcome for the most people, a concept you seem to be unable to come to terms with.

A bold statement .... any facts to back it up?

And thats it! The toys are out of the pram! Making assumptions about what I want when you clearly dont know shit from clay. Im pointing out that analogue-to-digital is still transitional and everyone needs to make concessions during this time and you read that as im complaining about people buying HD tv's? Wow!

No doubt the decision to keep analogue waaaay past its intended shut off date is political as the majority of those requiring it are probably older and the grey vote is important. Theres been some movement towards it providing free or cheap receivers though (dont know much about the details though). Id say that it has been hastened becuase of that and the shut off is finally occurring.

Although I still think the simulcast would bring up problems behind the scenes between networks and advertisers. If they just show the same ads on both then Shannons etc are getting twice as much airtime for the same outlay and TEN management/shareholders wont be comfortable with that. And if they run different ads on the 2 channels then advertisers may be pissed cause they paid to advertise to the (formerly captive) F1 audience. Now if theyre only catching ONE viewers theyre not getting what they wanted/agreed to.
Of course all speculation but since no one here knows what the details of their agreements are then were all just stabbing in the dark.

unless it's rugby league or AFL, sport does not belong on FTA tv. ten/nine/seven etc just aren't willing to pay it the respect it deserves.

you are missing the point entirely by going into potential problems TEN might have with advertisers etc. why do we care? we, as F1 fans just want the highest possible quality of broadcast available. Super 14 doesn't need FTA/SD, the a-league doesn't need FTA/SD. why does Formula 1? (arguably an even more niche sport). we just want what the rugby and soccer crowd already have.

Come to think of it, almost all NRL and AFL games are available in HD.... so why are we arrogant for wanting the same?

#542 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,002 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:21

unless it's rugby league or AFL, sport does not belong on FTA tv. ten/nine/seven etc just aren't willing to pay it the respect it deserves.

you are missing the point entirely by going into potential problems TEN might have with advertisers etc. why do we care? we, as F1 fans just want the highest possible quality of broadcast available.

Some of us F1 fans want coverage first, anything else is a bonus. Given the choice of SD coverage with commercials that we can all watch, verses having it on cable that only those with Foxtel can watch, I go with the former.

Super 14 doesn't need FTA/SD, the a-league doesn't need FTA/SD. why does Formula 1? (arguably an even more niche sport). we just want what the rugby and soccer crowd already have.

Come to think of it, almost all NRL and AFL games are available in HD.... so why are we arrogant for wanting the same?

It is interesting that you compare it with rugby and soccer. Why is it that despite the insane popularity of both sports, most conversations I have with people about sport hardly mention them? Even more amazingly, people are more interested in talking about the F1 race that happened instead of those sports. It seems (from my own experience) when people don't have Foxtel, the sports not on FTA just get forgotten.

#543 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:19

Some of us F1 fans want coverage first, anything else is a bonus. Given the choice of SD coverage with commercials that we can all watch, verses having it on cable that only those with Foxtel can watch, I go with the former.

how about a 3rd option? ten actually puts the race on ONEHD for all, and actually pays attention to when it chucks in the ads? why is that too much to ask?

we are a decade behind other countries, when it comes to coverage quality, as it stands, and this sort of attitude facilitates that. we should not be putting up with it.

Edited by lbennie, 27 April 2012 - 06:28.

#544 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:45

A better option considering the direction ten are moving would be for a split deal, with both ten and Foxtel. Then ten would be free to broadcast the race in whichever channel/timeslot/delay they like, while Fox catered to the sports fans with full weekend coverage etc.

In terms of this other argument, that there is somehow a need for these grannies/bogans/people-who-don't-care-about-TV to be fed SD Formula 1 coverage just because they can't be bothered spending less than a single centerlink payment on an HD capable TV is complete BS.

Ten didn't move the broadcast because they felt these people suddenly needed to see Formula 1, but because they are in between headlining shows, and after what they viewed as a successful F1 coverage of the Australian GP, and the increased demand with a second Aussie in the sport they took a risk on it pulling more viewers in a mainstream slot. It didn't. Remember these are the guys who sometimes air netball and swimming in prime time when they are low on syndicated programming.

#545 Nasty McBastard

Nasty McBastard

• 5,977 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:48

Clearly the way to get f1 back on HD in the east is to argue in a massive circle, rehashing the same stuff that was went over 3 weeks ago. I mean it worked earlier this week! Thanks to all your shitposting efforts, WA and SA now have live F1 again! Everyone keep going, I can feel we are almost there! Weve just ticked off football again, better redo anti-syphoning laws and whether you can REALLY tell the difference from SD anyway. Thatll do it!

Jesus, the coverage might be better than back in the 90's, but the posting about it here sure sucks a lot more balls.

#546 BlinkMeElias

BlinkMeElias

• 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:49

The channel 10 broadcast is only for the European races and races that start at 10pm right?
Because when they were doing thier whole spill for it they said European races, meaning we get the rest on one?

#547 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:56

I got the feeling they meant 'starting with the European races'. I wouldn't be confident of them putting the late night races on one, just because they can.

And thanks for your brilliant contribution to the thread NB....

#548 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:48

Clearly the way to get f1 back on HD in the east is to argue in a massive circle, rehashing the same stuff that was went over 3 weeks ago. I mean it worked earlier this week! Thanks to all your shitposting efforts, WA and SA now have live F1 again! Everyone keep going, I can feel we are almost there! Weve just ticked off football again, better redo anti-syphoning laws and whether you can REALLY tell the difference from SD anyway. Thatll do it!

Jesus, the coverage might be better than back in the 90's, but the posting about it here sure sucks a lot more balls.

yeah, how dare we discuss things on an internet forum.

#549 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,289 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:56

great to see you again :up: love the new avatar!

i was just thinking what a nerdgasm this thread had become :lol: but they got results and will continue to do so. i really see nothing wrong with demanding the best from a commercial content provider, and media professionals are FAR from infallible.

#550 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:50

love the craptastic motogp coverage... locking up every 10 seconds

well done 10