• 223 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:32

Thank you, again! :)

Advertisement

#602 slideways

slideways

• 3,294 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:50

If it's an old TV make sure the one you buy has a coax antenna or RCA (red/white/yellow) style output depending on your TV.

#603 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,592 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:35

If it's an old TV make sure the one you buy has a coax antenna or RCA (red/white/yellow) style output depending on your TV.

Good point - I would take a picture of the back of the tv so he can show it to the shop assistant (should he strike one that knows anything... :p )

#604 Formula-1

Formula-1

• 443 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:29

Are ONE showing the Canadian GP live? I wanna see it in HD.

#605 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:42

check back here tomorrow:

http://tv-guide.ten.com.au/

but quali is on both ten and one - maybe the race is too?

#606 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:30

In case anyone doesn't know, Ten Sport have an iPhone app where you can stream Qualy & race.
It's a bit delayed, maybe up to 1 min, but if you're caught out and not in front of the tv it's more than fine.

#607 Formula-1

Formula-1

• 443 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 14:08

They are showing nascar instead on one, screw them i'm just gonna wait till later at night that day to watch it on one im sick of watching SD.

#608 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:09

you really can't complain about them putting the race on SD when they've got NASCAR commitments. it's not as if they're re-running 'australia's fittest netballer' (yes, that is a show - check out the guide)

#609 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,127 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 00:50

Australia's fittest netballer > nascar imo :p

#610 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:32

Theres a big difference between showing some crappy movie and live NASCAR though

#611 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:43

Well I will be waiting till Monday evening and watching the full, uninterrupted SkyF1 HD version of the event, complete with pre-show. Love that this year's F1 app let's you play and pause live timing from past races :) Monaco was the last race I'm watching on Ten.

#612 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 209 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:00

Well I will be waiting till Monday evening and watching the full, uninterrupted SkyF1 HD version of the event, complete with pre-show. Love that this year's F1 app let's you play and pause live timing from past races :) Monaco was the last race I'm watching on Ten.

Wait, It does???

Is it free or do you have to pay for it?

Live timing is the only reason I'm putting up with watching the blurry crap provided by the pit stains of society.

#613 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:55

i do wonder why they couldn't replay it immediately on HD instead of re-running the highlights of summernats 25? that wouldn't impede on the other programming.

#614 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:28

Wait, It does???

Is it free or do you have to pay for it?

Live timing is the only reason I'm putting up with watching the blurry crap provided by the pit stains of society.

I have the paid android app. I'm sure there are ways to get the app without paying for it, but I thought it was worth it.

#615 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:33

i do wonder why they couldn't replay it immediately on HD instead of re-running the highlights of summernats 25? that wouldn't impede on the other programming.

:rotfl: Funny you mention Sumernats 25.Appears to be the only one they have as they really have replayed that a thousand times over.To the point of ridiculousness.
On topic.The craziness of the SD/HD biz is really highlighted by the MotoGP rounds when they have quali on Saturday and all the lead up races on Sunday in HD then just before the main race they ask everyone to flip over to SD.Crazy!

#616 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:41

They are showing nascar instead on one, screw them i'm just gonna wait till later at night that day to watch it on one im sick of watching SD.

Some people are really never happy, are they? Motorsport double treat and you're b*tching that they're showing two races live at the same time.

On topic.The craziness of the SD/HD biz is really highlighted by the MotoGP rounds when they have quali on Saturday and all the lead up races on Sunday in HD then just before the main race they ask everyone to flip over to SD.Crazy!

It has never failed to confuse my Dad yet, no matter what we're watching.

My biggest problem with Montreal is that I'm working 8am-5:00pm on that day, so I'm trying to work out whether to get up at 4am, watch the race live, and just stay up and go to work, or whether to snatch a couple of extra hours' sleep and watch the race on replay that night. I won't be able to record one and watch the other nor will I be able to record both F1 and NASCAR so we have a serious problem there.

#617 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,592 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:49

Canadian GP coverage from 3.30am! Going to be a loooooong day on Monday...

#618 W154

W154

• 340 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:17

Canadian GP coverage from 3.30am! Going to be a loooooong day on Monday...

That's OK, Monday is public holiday, no work. Thank you Good Queen Liz! :wave:
(Not quite the royal wave ,but close)

#619 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,592 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:19

That's OK, Monday is public holiday, no work. Thank you Good Queen Liz! :wave:
(Not quite the royal wave ,but close)

Oh yeah - forgot about that. But I have a young'un - so I won't be going back to bed anyway...

Advertisement

#620 Formula-1

Formula-1

• 443 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:28

Some people are really never happy, are they? Motorsport double treat and you're b*tching that they're showing two races live at the same time.

Excuse me for not wanting to strain my eyes looking at blurF1, I want to see all the vibrant colours and detail that HD offers.

#621 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,852 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 14:33

I'm gonna grab an adult beverage after maybe getting some ribs going on the BBQ, have my lunch whilst watching the GP. One of my few pleasures as a result of living in the frozen north.

#622 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 23:07

I know we're going back to old territory with this, but id rather watch a grainy static filled analogue picutre on a 30 cm CRT with rabbit ears live than wait till the next night to see the race. To each their own I guess?

I forgot about the public holiday :) Have had to struggle through the monday the last 2 years living in Brisneyland but this year we score an extra public holiday for Liz's big party ... Yay monarchy!

#623 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:24

i'm recording the race and watching it whenever i get up, so i can fast-forward through the pre-show and ads. gotta love a public holiday! and as bemused as ever at the hysteria over the admittedly noticeable but actually quite mild difference in picture quality between HD and SD.

My biggest problem with Montreal is that I'm working 8am-5:00pm on that day, so I'm trying to work out whether to get up at 4am, watch the race live, and just stay up and go to work, or whether to snatch a couple of extra hours' sleep and watch the race on replay that night. I won't be able to record one and watch the other nor will I be able to record both F1 and NASCAR so we have a serious problem there.

if you had a foxtel digital IQ, you could record both :p

#624 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,852 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:28

quite mild difference in picture quality between HD and SD.

I dunno about that, it's 4 times the resolution and it looks it on a 50 inch set.

#625 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:51

Quick! Grab a can and help me gather up these worms.

#626 teejay

teejay

• 3,711 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:57

1st world problems eh?

I will going to bed early Sunday, up to watch it live, then back to bed and work on monday - no holiday in Perth!

#627 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:00

1st world problems eh?

So true.

Plus not sure if it was intentional but theres a little something in that for a Montreal (or Canada in general) reference :up:

#628 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:05

i'm recording the race and watching it whenever i get up, so i can fast-forward through the pre-show and ads. gotta love a public holiday! and as bemused as ever at the hysteria over the admittedly noticeable but actually quite mild difference in picture quality between HD and SD.

if you had a foxtel digital IQ, you could record both :p

If you're going to watch it the next day, why record Ten's crappy SD with ads? Why not enjoy Sky's full coverage with proper 720p? Quality is a step again from what even One's HD was and you don't have ads...

#629 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,127 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:39

If you're going to watch it the next day, why record Ten's crappy SD with ads? Why not enjoy Sky's full coverage with proper 720p? Quality is a step again from what even One's HD was and you don't have ads...

is there an easier way to do that these days other than proxies/torrents?

#630 WigF1

WigF1

• 63 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:42

I haven't yet managed to catch a recording of the SkyF1 with the build up, but, I suppose that's Fairplay.

#631 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:19

is there an easier way to do that these days other than proxies/torrents?

For F1 coverage, Proxies are only useful for streaming the live BBC coverage on the weekends they're on. Quality is ok, close to SD tv.

As for getting the race after it has finished, usually takes ~ six hours to appear in the usual places. I hear there are several ways to go about acquiring it, with some methods being faster and more secure than others. Someone who knew about such methods could probably only discuss them via PM for legal reasons... ;)

#632 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:46

and as bemused as ever at the hysteria over the admittedly noticeable but actually quite mild difference in picture quality between HD and SD.

You may need a new TV if you think the difference is mild.Try watching MotoGP when they flick from one to the other.With F1 the comparison is not as easy as its over two nights.The main point of difference is long range speed shots you struggle to make out numbers on SD yet on HD it's as clear as a bell.

#633 slideways

slideways

• 3,294 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:59

We do actually live in a first world country. Our ancestors bitched about tuberculosis and influenza so we'd one day be given the chance to bitch about shitty looking SD feeds.

Btw in case it makes you feel better the western states are all back to SD again now.

This is what NASCAR would 'threaten' if they were switched for this weekend. Someone should stab whoever is in charge of the scheduling.

1.50am - 2.25am
Home Shopping

2.25am - 3.00am
Home Shopping

#634 slideways

slideways

• 3,294 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:11

You may need a new TV if you think the difference is mild.Try watching MotoGP when they flick from one to the other.With F1 the comparison is not as easy as its over two nights.The main point of difference is long range speed shots you struggle to make out numbers on SD yet on HD it's as clear as a bell.

It's baffling to me but some people just don't care. I met someone last fortnight who had just bought the max size sammy plasma (65"?) and was running SD analogue TV on it. I asked him to let me setup the HD tuner but nope, not interested.

#635 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:25

This is what NASCAR would 'threaten' if they were switched for this weekend. Someone should stab whoever is in charge of the scheduling.

I really am starting to buy into the conspiracy theory that Ten are deliberately treating it like shit in order to justify on-selling the rights to Foxtel. With Lachlan Murdoch recently (Feb) appointed as Chairman of Ten Network Holdings and Foxsports being Murdoch (obviously), I have my suspicions that they are trying to pull a similar deal as Sky got in the UK.

#636 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,012 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:39

I really am starting to buy into the conspiracy theory that Ten are deliberately treating it like shit in order to justify on-selling the rights to Foxtel. With Lachlan Murdoch recently (Feb) appointed as Chairman of Ten Network Holdings and Foxsports being Murdoch (obviously), I have my suspicions that they are trying to pull a similar deal as Sky got in the UK.

If that was really the case they would keep F1 on ONE as less people have access to it. The move to Ten was obviously to grab a wider audience since every one in the country can watch Ten.

Would moving if from HD to SD really reduce viewing figures that much that it would allow a smoother transaction to Foxtel? How many die hard fans out there are going to skip Ten and wait a day to download the coverage off the net? Most die hard fans would want to watch it live even if it is SD. As for casual fans, they are not going to skip Tens coverage and go to the trouble of downloading it, nor are casual fans only going to watch a sport because it is in HD.

So how many people are Ten going to actually lose by sticking it on the prime channel over ONE?

Edited by Jazza, 07 June 2012 - 07:41.

#637 slideways

slideways

• 3,294 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:41

It wouldn't surprise me. I don't think FOM would be opposed to it. But at the same time they've shown they care less about target audience these days so might let Ch. 10 outbid fox and still delay/SD broadcast everything. :(

#638 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:32

When I lived in NZ - I used to get up at 4.30am - get ready for work - watch the race and then go to work - I liked it bettger than the midnight races.

Now I have a problem - I now live in Singapore - to watch the race I have to go to a pub - the race is on 3am Monday morning.. I will watch from the computer I think...

#639 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 183 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:48

If that was really the case they would keep F1 on ONE as less people have access to it. The move to Ten was obviously to grab a wider audience since every one in the country can watch Ten.

Would moving if from HD to SD really reduce viewing figures that much that it would allow a smoother transaction to Foxtel? How many die hard fans out there are going to skip Ten and wait a day to download the coverage off the net? Most die hard fans would want to watch it live even if it is SD. As for casual fans, they are not going to skip Tens coverage and go to the trouble of downloading it, nor are casual fans only going to watch a sport because it is in HD.

So how many people are Ten going to actually lose by sticking it on the prime channel over ONE?

But the thing is Ten having been coming out way behind on a Sunday night by putting F1 on Ten. Going off the published figures, they went from an average of 400,000 one two races shown on ONE, while getting 500,000+ for a decent movie or tv show (new girl was getting over 800,000 Avaar got over 500,000 on Sundays with F1 was on One) on Ten. But, F1 was on earlier for these races, so not a direct comparison.

Lets look at last years Monaco GP. A year that wasn't as exciting as this year (Vettel was dominating and Webber was struggling).

Monaco 2011:
One - FIA Formula One World Championship: 331,000
Ten - Merlin 940,000 & Hawaii Five-O Ten 570,000 = average 755,000
Total Ten + One = 1086,000

Monaco 2012:
One: None of their shows made the top 20 on Sunday for multi-channels - http://www.tvtonight...7-may-2012.html - 20th place is 158,000 so let's be generous and assume that it was close to this at:
Ten: F1 didn't make the top 20 either, so no exact number, but 20th place was 488,000, let me extra generous and give them 480,000

So, the (optimistic) total for Ten and One combined is: 638,000

Advertisement

#640 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 13:35

We do actually live in a first world country. Our ancestors bitched about tuberculosis and influenza so we'd one day be given the chance to bitch about shitty looking SD feeds.

Btw in case it makes you feel better the western states are all back to SD again now.

1.50am - 2.25am
Home Shopping

2.25am - 3.00am
Home Shopping

You should have seen the impeccable lineup the Indy 500 would have disturbed. Home Shopping AND some weirdo religious show! :eek:

Speaking of threatening, ONE HD are not showing the replay of the F1 race until 11:45PM on monday night. I won't insult your brain cells by listing everything on before it...

When I lived in NZ - I used to get up at 4.30am - get ready for work - watch the race and then go to work - I liked it bettger than the midnight races.

Now I have a problem - I now live in Singapore - to watch the race I have to go to a pub - the race is on 3am Monday morning.. I will watch from the computer I think...

I just realised that now they switched the analogue signal off, I can't watch on Ten and record One at the same time. Poo.

#641 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:02

As for getting the race after it has finished, usually takes ~ six hours to appear in the usual places. I hear there are several ways to go about acquiring it, with some methods being faster and more secure than others. Someone who knew about such methods could probably only discuss them via PM for legal reasons...;)

i'm not going to wait six hours for a race to appear then wait again for it to download when i can wake up at my leisure and watch it at the push of a button, FFing through all the boring stuff. give me convenience or give me death!

#642 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:04

i totally agree with you on the quality front - earlier in this thread, i recalled watching the waratahs on foxsports HD then the tigers on nine SD (on a 40" HD TV) and struggling to make out players faces in dynamic situations in the latter game. it's just not enough to make me poop my pants with anger like some of the young geeks do in this thread. that said, i totally support any lobbying they do for better quality - always demand more from a commercial provider. it's not a frickin' charity.

#643 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,852 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 00:59

The home shopping thing just upsets people. Some of the stuff they have on when they could be showing a race is baffling.

#644 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:09

it's just not enough to make me poop my pants with anger like some of the young geeks do in this thread.

:rotfl:

#645 slideways

slideways

• 3,294 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:09

it's just not enough to make me poop my pants with anger like some of the young geeks do in this thread.

Dunno if that was aimed at me but I'm not young (I wish) and I'm not a geek just a lifelong obsessed f1 fan I dont watch any tv besides f1/motogp. I'm not a fan of the way 10 dicks us around hd, sd, live, delayed, its like carrot and stick but way more stick of late.

#646 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 209 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:07

Dunno if that was aimed at me but I'm not young (I wish) and I'm not a geek just a lifelong obsessed f1 fan I dont watch any tv besides f1/motogp. I'm not a fan of the way 10 dicks us around hd, sd, live, delayed, its like carrot and stick but way more stick of late.

I'm similar, besides F1/MotoGP/Footy/Cricket and very occasionally Rugby league, I don't watch a single thing on commercial TV. It's deplorable.

I can't wait for the day when we are able to get a decent quality live stream of sport online, even if I have to pay for it (i.e. NBA league pass).

#647 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,203 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:11

I don't watch a single thing on commercial TV. It's deplorable.

Like a gold nugget in a river of shit, its there but hard to find.

#648 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,127 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:30

Like a gold nugget in a river of shit, its there but hard to find.

foxtel make it a bit easier: tv guide button >> sport section :p

#649 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,362 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:57

wasn't aimed at anybody in particular. ten is panicking at the moment, all major metrics going through the floor so chopping and changing.

#650 slideways

slideways

• 3,294 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:28

That's a good point repco. To be honest the picture quality on 10 last night was pretty good. Seemed a lot better than 2010? Quality. Not on par with HD but upscaled ok.