king_crud

• 1,451 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:49

Australian tv does have a lot of ads though, even if they're capped

#703 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:17

The coverage itself I don't find too bad, but it's overly jam-packed with ads to the point where it's truly ridiculous.

*bashing head against wall*

It cant be, it just cant be. There is a prescribed amount of ads per hour which they cant go over. It 'feels' like a lot more during live sport becuase youre missing actual content.

Perhaps it just feels like a lot of ads because even though the ads may be capped Seven has every single freakin' segment/replay/feature during the coverage sponsored by someone - so when you aren't watching ads you ARE watching ads...

#704 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,056 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:36

Hi all, I am sorry for taking the trend off corse but I don't know where to put it, anyhow I will just add it here & delete it when the time is right.

I have a question, I am in Australia and I am going to buy the Apple "New" ipad. I have just read Formula 1 has a live app, does enyone here know how much you pay to initially download it to you ipad? and do you pay for each race or is there a fee for the whole season?

Thank you

Mouserat159

Try WP mouserat,guys there are usually way ahead of the pack with app's.

http://forums.whirlp...s.cfm?t=1890915

Edited by Ian G, 03 October 2012 - 11:36.

#705 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 895 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:03

*bashing head against wall*

It cant be, it just cant be. There is a prescribed amount of ads per hour which they cant go over. It 'feels' like a lot more during live sport becuase youre missing actual content.

I realise that, but their cap must allow for more ads than other networks.

#706 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:56

ever watched a U.S. stream of a motorsport race? Australian tv has nowhere near the amount of ads

#707 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:06

Why the hate for Ch7?

Im ambivalent to them, just curious as to why they bring out this reaction?
Is it AFL related? Not a fan so that could well be it.

1. Ads. Okay all stations do it but gah.

2. Actually shortening V8 Supercar races for the f*cking AFL.

3. Delaying Bathurst telecast because there weren't as many safety cars as they thought and they had to get their ads in.

4. Olympics.

5. Tennis. Fine for the late-night matches at AO but terrible for anything else.

6. It's Seven. In terms of the overall quality food chain, it's smack on the bottom below every other free-to-air station in Australia.

7. Grant Denyer.

#708 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,795 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:59

"Capped" is a generous description.
The ad limit is not law, but an industry "code of practise".

What happens if they go over the limit?
Nothing. The ACMA doesnt monitor these things. It requires a complaint, in writing, from a viewer before the ACMA will bother investigating.
On the rare occasions where the ACMA find the TV station to be in breach of the code of conduct, what happens then?
Nothing. The ACMA just put up a link on a web page with the text of the decision. No fines, no penalties.

Here for example, is a whole bunch of ACMA findings...
http://www.acma.gov....RD/pc=PC_310283

Edited by alfa1, 04 October 2012 - 15:00.

#709 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 199 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:00

Why the hate for Ch7?

Im ambivalent to them, just curious as to why they bring out this reaction?
Is it AFL related? Not a fan so that could well be it.

It's related to their horrendous coverage of any sporting event but yes, specifically the AFL.

As a non fan I'll explain the issues to you.

1. Under the previous rights agreement they would delay the Friday night games by an hour at the start to show bloody Better Homes and Gardens :rolleyes: despite relentless opposition.
2. They would then pad out the already delayed game with ads so the game started on a 1 hr delay and finished on a 1:30-2 hour delay.

3. Starting this year with the new rights deal they were forced to put the football on live on Friday/Sat nights and Sunday with only 1 delayed game on a Saturday arvo so that was a kicking and screaming improvement.
4. With the new deal Fox gained the rights to show every game live, with no ads in HD on fox footy (thank the good lord), but unfortunately they had to use the 7 feed for the 4 games a week that 7 does.
5. For the first few rounds like a petulant child the 7 commentators would stay silent in between goals just so Fox subscribers wouldn't get any extra content (even though they would talk through previously for dvd's etc) leading to a horrible disjointed broadcast until the AFL sat them in the naughty corner and the fixed that up.
6. Point blank refused to record the games in HD so even the broadcast on Fox was just upscaled SD shit. To put this in context channel 7 generally gets the 4 'better' games of the weekend so we would have the better games in rubbish quality and the lesser games in proper HD on Fox Footy :rolleyes:
7. They must have gotten a new director or something because the camera work this year has been BEYOND atrocious.
8. They had their choice of commentators and pretty much picked the worst ones. The commentary on every single channel 7 game was horrifying.
9. They went absolutely nuts with ads in the grand final because it was the one game everybody was forced to watch on 7.
10. Refused to show the GF in HD :rolleyes:. The NFL have been showing the Superbowl in HD since around 2000, and in 2009 we had 12-14 hours of continuous HD coverage of the Grand Final on One (when they were a sport channel), yet Channel 7 take us backwards.

They are a disgusting network and treat sport with contempt. I hope they fold and all their assets burn to the ground.

On a side note, OneHD was such a brilliant channel when it started, what has happened to it is really sad. :(

Edited by InvertedLift, 04 October 2012 - 15:04.

#710 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:55

everything you complain about (justifiably) is a result of FTA commercial pressures and mentality. nine does a better job with the NRL and sport in general but they still try the same tricks. oneHD has changed because it was too niche and not making anywhere near enough money. the sooner we have a deal replicating the BBC / sky split, the better.

#711 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:33

everything you complain about (justifiably) is a result of FTA commercial pressures and mentality. nine does a better job with the NRL and sport in general but they still try the same tricks. oneHD has changed because it was too niche and not making anywhere near enough money. the sooner we have a deal replicating the BBC / sky split, the better.

amen :up:

#712 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 199 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:07

Well that's almost exactly what's happened with the AFL. If Fox could send their own team to cover everything like Sky do it would be perfect.

I eagerly await the day we have proper F1 coverage.

#713 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 895 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:00

7. Grant Denyer.

Urgh. Don't get me started on that annoying little prick. I know he's amazingly come back from that horrific injury he sustained and good on him and all for that but I really, REALLY simply cannot stand him. :down:

#714 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 410 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:13

1. Ads. Okay all stations do it but gah.

2. Actually shortening V8 Supercar races for the f*cking AFL.

3. Delaying Bathurst telecast because there weren't as many safety cars as they thought and they had to get their ads in.

4. Olympics.

5. Tennis. Fine for the late-night matches at AO but terrible for anything else.

6. It's Seven. In terms of the overall quality food chain, it's smack on the bottom below every other free-to-air station in Australia.

7. Grant Denyer.

1. Well it is money and advertising :p

2. AFL is more important, it is the national winter game, so I have no issues on that. Considering how Sydney did although I prefer Fox Footy.

3. I have no idea

4. Olympics are shown by Channel Nine (rather terribly) and FoxSports (Very well :D)

5. Tennis is awesome, Australian Open and Wimbledon. The latter had awesome coverage. Still FoxSports ftw

6. Beats Ten

7. Beats Tim Bailey and Andrew O'Keefe.

#715 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,880 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:59

Sadly ONE wont have James Allen at the track tomorrow - instead we are graced with the presence of the useless Tom Clarkson.

#716 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,451 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 13:47

ever watched a U.S. stream of a motorsport race? Australian tv has nowhere near the amount of ads

no, I moved to the UK so get to enjoy F1 commercial free :cool:

#717 WigF1

WigF1

• 62 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 13:12

Ads in q1...they're kidding right?

#718 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 199 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 13:25

Ads in q1...they're kidding right?

There's a bit of a throwback!

They used to do it all the time, but sometime last year or this year decided to stop.

#719 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:30

Um... why is the race on Ten and not One?

Advertisement

#720 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,110 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:37

Um... why is the race on Ten and not One?

I really don't understand why they can't keep it on one, I remember in India, it made me realise how good HD was in comparison

#721 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:40

I really don't understand why they can't keep it on one, I remember in India, it made me realise how good HD was in comparison

I could understand when it was on Ten during the 'European' season as it was an earlier start but no idea why when it's a midnight race...

#722 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 00:04

I just tweeted One HD, but i'll ask here too. Are One HD or Ten showing the full three days of the Australian GP? I just saw the ad on Ten and it only mentioned Saturday and Sunday?

#723 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,050 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:46

After last years Channel 10 debacle with the Oz GP, maybe only 2 days is a good thing?

#724 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:55

one are broadcasting friday practice, ten have the weekend coverage - cue whining from HD geeks:

http://www.tvtonight...grand-prix.html

#725 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:08

/whine :p

suprised it's in color.

#726 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:24

The Aust GP site says Ten are showing Quali and Race in HD? They probably consider SD as HD.

http://www.grandprix...partners/one-hd

#727 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:42

indeed

TEN will broadcast both the qualifying rounds and the race live and exclusively in high definition ensuring that all of the action, suspense and drama of the practice sessions, qualifying rounds and the race is captured in all its glory.

Given the info above, how is this possible?

#728 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,050 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:58

Are they being cheeky saying TEN when they mean the network, not the channel?

#729 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 03:30

Let's hope so.

Good news for us pixel snobs :p

#730 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 23:56

so TEN are capable of transmitting an HD signal on their frequency if they so choose? i'm confused. my guess is they're shooting with HD cameras to satisfy F1 requirements but local viewers won't see it in full bloom.

#731 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,012 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:04

They will probably just double up like they did for years (2008-2011 I think) with SD on Ten, and HD on Ten-HD/One-HD/One channel. I'm fairly sure that 2012 was the only year Melbourne was SD on Ten only since they started their HD channel.

#732 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 23:02

nope, one only broadcast friday then ten only for weekend like last year - see link i posted earlier.

#733 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:06

nope, one only broadcast friday then ten only for weekend like last year - see link i posted earlier.

You can't say that for sure, because they have contradicted themselves, both with what you have quoted and what was in the link redbarron has posted.

It all seems to be a bit of a mess.

That is unlike them :lol:

Edited by lbennie, 08 March 2013 - 05:07.

#734 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:57

that's why i feel i can say it for sure! :lol:

#735 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,012 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 21:35

Just checked the advance TV guides. Ten and One both showing the F1 all day.

#736 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 21:41

^^^ confirmed. i'm pleasantly surprised.

#737 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 199 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:59

But will it be the same for the rest of the year?

#738 sheepgobba

sheepgobba

• 1,097 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:30

After last years Channel 10 debacle with the Oz GP, maybe only 2 days is a good thing?

What happened last year?

#739 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:19

What happened last year?

Channel 10 taking every opportunity to interview as many of their so called 'stars' who knew f*ck all about F1, with the ontrack action treated as an afterthought... iirc.

Advertisement

#740 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:15

that's how i remember it. in particular they took the opportunity to basically run their 'mornings' show with that gibbering kiwi idiot hosting much of the broadcast, despite it being the australian grand prix. here's hoping they learnt their lesson - but we'll all be on one anyway.

#741 clipper

clipper

• 817 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 21:33

that's how i remember it. in particular they took the opportunity to basically run their 'mornings' show with that gibbering kiwi idiot hosting much of the broadcast, despite it being the australian grand prix. here's hoping they learnt their lesson - but we'll all be on one anyway.

I have read somewhere that this year they are doing/covering a grand prix breakfast (ala AFL grand final breakfast, hosted by stephen quartermain), so I would expect more of the general coverage than covering it like we would hope for the race fans.

you can say they are trying to do the same thing as how the melbourne cup is covered. Is that necessarily a bad thing? trying to raise the profile of the whole weekend. I wonder whether horse racing fans roll their eyes at the coverage of the melbourne cup carnival the same way we do? or they don't care as they are either at the event themselves, or only tune in when the races are on and miss the filler?

our only realistic hope is that the extended coverage does continue to raise the profile, and it moves on from a "wow wroom wroom cars, I like the red one," coverage to a better balanced (racing/history/culture/glamour) coverage.

#742 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:35

i don't agree re. melbourne cup - that coverage is focused on the race but also the greater occasion and the personalities surrounding it, which is fine and what i would be comfortable with for GP coverage. what ten did last year was use the coverage as a programming promo mega-mix, hyping new shows and personalities (especially the afore-mentioned kiwi moron) with only the most tenuous connection to the event itself. it was utterly shit.

#743 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,050 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:57

I think thats summarised the reasons why it was awful.

Using a full days 'coverage' as an advertisement for everyhting else they show, while treating fans like idiots

#744 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:01

Last year was the worse coverage I have ever seen of the F1. The limit was when you could hear cars on the track in the background, but we were listening to people being interviewd who didn't know a single thing about Motorsport.

If Ten must promote there crap then fine, but not when there is actual racing happening. In fact, I don't even know why they bother. Motorsport fans don't want to see the fluff when there are cars on track, and non Motorsport fans aren't even watching the coverage in the first place as they just assume its all about cars going in circles.

#745 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,047 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:25

That is what p'd me off the most. Cutting support races so we could watch nobodies discussing thorpe's comeback. Was rage inducing.

#746 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 686 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:39

Last years AGP coverage was a disgrace.. it was hosted by a ( now axed ) morning show manned and womaned by blithering overpaid idiots... I actually longed for the Channel 9 coverage of the AGP.. where they bravely focused on the racing, the drivers, and shock horror, even the cars...

Ive made other plans this year, which mostly involves me not getting pissed off.

#747 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,050 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:00

I actually longed for the Channel 9 coverage

Come on, lets not say things we might regret

#748 W154

W154

• 333 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:16

That is what p'd me off the most. Cutting support races so we could watch nobodies discussing thorpe's comeback. Was rage inducing.

No, it was vomit inducing.
Expect to see lots of masterchef nobodies, the pea brains from the project, lard arse chrissy swan not to mention mr and mrs murder all topped off with the mind numbing interviews of mark howard. Can you bear it?!. Hey they might even fly in an overseas sooooper star like judge judy!

#749 mongo580

mongo580

• 63 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:27

This is not a good sign. Noticed this on the Royal Australian Air Force Facebook page:

Bondi Vet, Dr Chris Brown ( Ten Sport Formula One commentary team)

#750 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,050 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:39

If its all the fluff in the lead up, I'm sure I can screen it out, but they better not have their celebrities doing race commentary