Posted Image
Posted Image

indeed.

Advertisement

#752 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,632 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 13:51

I am no marketing guru but would like to think i have half a clue given the industry i work in. Subtle cross promotion is a good idea but you need to know your market, crossing a motorsport show with programs CLEARLY aimed at woman is staggeringly stupid, it's going to do nothing but piss the viewer off and god knows the typical viewer (young males) is a tough market to attract and are high up on the advertising rate card.

On SPEED channel over here, i see countless ads for toothpaste and shampoo, womens shampoo no less ......... it defies all logic. i suspect it's part of advertising bundling given the 90000 or so channels over here that have a lot of cross ownership, well it better be that or someone is just not thinking.

#753 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:02

the ads here are pretty blokey - shannons, mercedes-benz et al - but i'm fervently hoping that the bondi vet on the commentary team is a joke, even if he's probably a fair-dinkum motorsport fan.

and those chrissie swan pics were uncalled for. i'm praying you've violated copyright there and they have to be taken down!

#754 ed24f1

ed24f1

• 978 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:16

Well I guess the best thing about the coverage is maybe it inspires more people to actually go to the track!

#755 mongo580

mongo580

• 63 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:25

Bob! My eyes. Spoiler warning at least man!

#756 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:05

Off topic: hate on her for many reasons I don't care, but does being big actually affect anything?

Maybe they misunderstood when they heard there was going to be 4 red bulls and a pair of prancing horses at the track, thought it would make an interesting episode of Bondi Vet?

#757 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:22

If that Bondi Vet is going to be commentating I am personally going to go down to Albert Park and throw a bagful of puppies into the lake...

#758 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,045 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:46

#drowningpuppiesforF1fans

#759 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 00:54

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a bondi vet?

nevermind, I googled. i had visions of a veteran life saver or something.

So why is this bloke on the commentary team now?

Edited by lbennie, 15 March 2013 - 00:57.

Advertisement

#760 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:14

Wooh hoo qantas club in the first 5 minutes!

#761 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:16

If that Bondi Vet is going to be commentating I am personally going to go down to Albert Park and throw a bagful of puppies into the lake...

I'm waiting for the puppies!! :lol:

#762 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,045 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:25

So why is this bloke on the commentary team now?

Cross promotion - the answer to most of the "What are CH 10 doing?" questions

If (and only if) its for the pre race show type of stuff, i can kind of see the point though. He's a popular personality, so probably is more inviting for casual and newbies to relate to.
The motorsport hosts/journos and former drvers/riders may come across as a bit too hardcore for complete newbies??

#763 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:33

Jeez AJ comes out with some rubbish - bless his soul :D

He does have some decent insight from williams though.

Edited by lbennie, 15 March 2013 - 01:49.

#764 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:47

I'm waiting for the puppies!! :lol:

Well it seems the puppies are safe for the moment - no bloody Bondi Vet commentating on FP1 thank god...

Edited by krapmeister, 15 March 2013 - 02:47.

#765 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,046 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:10

so no FP1 analysis then?

Back to the tools on the couch?

#766 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 297 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:12

Today's coverage was almost as bad with that Amanda Callor and Chris Brown.

#767 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 683 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:16

funny when the early swimming host turned to have a glass of bubbles in the Qantas Club and startled the girl holding the tray with just one glass - guess what - down it went. wife turned to all watching in our media room and said " that my friends is just the start of a rubbish presentation"

#768 F1hooked

F1hooked

• 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:21

funny when the early swimming host turned to have a glass of bubbles in the Qantas Club and startled the girl holding the tray with just one glass - guess what - down it went. wife turned to all watching in our media room and said " that my friends is just the start of a rubbish presentation"

Hahaha I saw that, it was so bad, I was hoping someone put it on YouTube so I could show my friends.. :lol:

#769 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:33

Come on, lets not say things we might regret

At least Channel 9 used to show all of the racing: super karts, historics etc. There was no celebrity bullshit, between races they'd have stories about motorsport to fill the time

#770 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 683 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:01

Hahaha I saw that, it was so bad, I was hoping someone put it on YouTube so I could show my friends.. :lol:

We started a game of naming the fat bogans in the Qantas Club who posed in the background of the TV shots - texting their beloved "can you see me on ten"
I recognised one and rang him on his mobile - he was reasonable sober but admitted that he had not watched any of the practice sessions, but had a look at the last lap of the V8 race .................. as he thought it was David Coultard winning.

#771 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:28

At least Channel 9 used to show all of the racing: super karts, historics etc. There was no celebrity bullshit, between races they'd have stories about motorsport to fill the time

Channel 9 didn't even show the practice sessions. Friday practice was a highlights show at about 11 Friday night (and just before F1 went to ten they had even stopped that and just gave a run down of the friday sessions on the saturday coverage) with the Saturday practice sometimes being shown but often delayed, with just a quick hightlights of the Sunday morning warm up hours after it had happened. 9, especially in the years just before it went to 10, were not even trying.

#772 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,451 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 13:19

Channel 9 didn't even show the practice sessions. Friday practice was a highlights show at about 11 Friday night (and just before F1 went to ten they had even stopped that and just gave a run down of the friday sessions on the saturday coverage) with the Saturday practice sometimes being shown but often delayed, with just a quick hightlights of the Sunday morning warm up hours after it had happened. 9, especially in the years just before it went to 10, were not even trying.

I'm thinking of 80s & early to mid 90s. I know they didn't show Friday, but they did show Saturday and Sunday and it was all day (or at least most of the day), I used to record it for a while there

#773 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 436 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:13

i laugh everytime someone sets a new fastest lap...in the first practice session of the year when no one is really trying, yet the 10 commentators have to get all super excited and yell at whats happening.

#774 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,387 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 21:09

Are we a bit overly critical here? Okay the Qantas chitchat is utter crap as is the Breakfast show and all their useless celebrities, we all know that. And the quality of the commentary rather stinks, nothing new there either. But I don't think that there's a single other network in the world that is broadcasting this much coverage from a Grand Prix weekend, whether it's home race or not. I mean, 7 hours of coverage for Friday is pretty great when you think about it. Please tell me again which support races and other on-track sessions Sky and BBC are covering at the British GP? Or the local channels in Malaysia where they tend to have like ONE support series during the entire weekend... yeah

If you forget the celebrity BS, they had these in Friday coverage

F1 Practice 1
V8 Supercars R2
Ultimate speed comparison
Celebrity Challenge R1
F1 Practice 2
Carrera Cup R1

+ F1 themed features

Track action wise only really missing the first V8s race due to coverage starting later. Okay they could've shown it tape delayed instead of that Qantas club trash but nevertheless.

Edited by SonnyViceR, 15 March 2013 - 21:12.

#775 clipper

clipper

• 817 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 23:17

Are we a bit overly critical here? Okay the Qantas chitchat is utter crap as is the Breakfast show and all their useless celebrities, we all know that. And the quality of the commentary rather stinks, nothing new there either. But I don't think that there's a single other network in the world that is broadcasting this much coverage from a Grand Prix weekend, whether it's home race or not. I mean, 7 hours of coverage for Friday is pretty great when you think about it. Please tell me again which support races and other on-track sessions Sky and BBC are covering at the British GP? Or the local channels in Malaysia where they tend to have like ONE support series during the entire weekend... yeah

If you forget the celebrity BS, they had these in Friday coverage

F1 Practice 1
V8 Supercars R2
Ultimate speed comparison
Celebrity Challenge R1
F1 Practice 2
Carrera Cup R1

+ F1 themed features

Track action wise only really missing the first V8s race due to coverage starting later. Okay they could've shown it tape delayed instead of that Qantas club trash but nevertheless.

Enjoying the grand pros breakfast this morning!

#776 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,330 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:31

i missed the qantas fiasco but i'm watching the relative pace (AMG / V8S / F1) race after paddock interviews with JYS, MH and DH. i heard good things about the breakfast too - i only saw the red bull dancers, which was a bit odd, but no complaints from me so far.

#777 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,046 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:06

today hasn't been all that bad tbh

#778 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 297 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:56

today hasn't been all that bad tbh

No today hasn't be as bad, but still way to much of Amanda & Chris. I wish channel One would show the Historics

#779 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:16

anyone else having trouble with one's live streaming? Worked fine yesterday but not now. Nothing coming up.

Advertisement

#780 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:18

Jeez AJ comes out with some rubbish - bless his soul :D

Haha I'll say but I'm glad he's there, gives a real nostalgic feeling, just missing Darrell Eastlake! With Daz's health probably not a goer though, they could just get Billy Birmingham in to impersonate him ;)

#781 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:02

anyone else having trouble with one's live streaming? Worked fine yesterday but not now. Nothing coming up.

if anyone is nearby a pc could they check if one's streaming is working? It would be massively appreciated :)

Stuck at work at an LNG construction site in the middle of nowhere and all illegal streams are blocked. Getting worried :|

#782 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:05

if anyone is nearby a pc could they check if one's streaming is working? It would be massively appreciated :)

Stuck at work at an LNG construction site in the middle of nowhere and all illegal streams are blocked. Getting worried :|

Working fine for me...

#783 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,694 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:06

nah, Sky went down

#784 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:08

nah, Sky went down

He's referring to One HD's live streaming, not Sky streams...

#785 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,416 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:10

Sky GO has a temporary fault at the moment, not sure if that is replicated on the television

Andy

#786 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,416 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:14

Oh they had a power cut and thunderstorm

Hopefully damp for qualy to make it more unpredicatable

Andy

#787 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,447 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:19

na haven't been able to get stream on one hd site all day including practice, it just comes up with the schedule.

#788 Andy35

Andy35

• 3,416 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:20

Now they have lost it again.

Time to watch some other class tv from Oz

Andy

#789 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:21

na haven't been able to get stream on one hd site all day including practice, it just comes up with the schedule.

Oh dear... well keep trying, it's all good for me here...

#790 W154

W154

• 333 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:27

Haha I'll say but I'm glad he's there, gives a real nostalgic feeling, just missing Darrell Eastlake! :up: With Daz's health probably not a goer though, they could just get Billy Birmingham in to impersonate him ;)

:up:

#791 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 895 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 00:58

Absolutely. Whilst Nine's coverage was not perfect, it was much better than the tripe Ten present to us in this regard.

I have to say that with how diabolically painful Craig Baird was to listen to, having AJ back (it seems for the rest of the year as co-host with Rusty) as clueless as he sometimes is, (and was, back in the days of Nine's coverage) is still a massive improvement.

The idiotic and irrelevant celebrity bullshit is so unnecessary though. Whilst the coverage of the on-track events is decent enough, the padding with all the interviews with fuckwit Australian celebrities trying to promote their own shows, most of whom would struggle to name 5 drivers in the field is nothing short of woeful. Then there's the fact that they could have shown the first V8 Supercar race tape delayed instead of that shitful Living Room panel discussion.

It's supposed to be coverage of a MOTOR RACING EVENT and as far as I'm concerned, that means any support race taking place on that track should be shown first and foremost before interviewing idiotic celebrities who are just there to be seen and remind everybody they exist and promote their shitty shows, asking dopey tarts who they think will win the race who don't even know Sebastian Vettel's last name, or Ricki Lee attempting to sing and shaking her arse, as pleasant as that may be to watch.

Edited by Eff One 2002, 17 March 2013 - 01:03.

#792 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:36

...or Ricki Lee attempting to sing and shaking her arse, as pleasant as that may be to watch.

Ricki Lee is NEVER pleasant to watch.

Agree that AJ has been good value - I still say that the coverage has been a vast improvement on last years efforts but...

...unfortunately I just spied the Historics racing in the background, while we are treated to an interview with Leo bloody Sayer. :down:

Edited by krapmeister, 17 March 2013 - 01:38.

#793 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 410 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:56

I don't watch it till 5 minutes before the race because I can't stand listening to people that barely qualify as C-listers but ratings I guess.

#794 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 895 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:58

Ricki Lee is NEVER pleasant to watch.

:lol:

Agree that AJ has been good value - I still say that the coverage has been a vast improvement on last years efforts but...

...unfortunately I just spied the Historics racing in the background, while we are treated to an interview with Leo bloody Sayer. :down:

Yep and there's the problem right there. We should have been shown that race not some lame interview with that guy.. :rolleyes: That's where they are really ****ing this coverage up. :mad:

#795 mouserat159

mouserat159

• 297 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:08

If anyone has a iPad and have the police scanner app, you can tune in to the f1 radio coms from the track. I heard Kimi talking to his team about his tyres in Q3 today

Edited by mouserat159, 17 March 2013 - 02:15.

#796 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 895 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:51

Getting back to how unimaginably diabolical the Ten coverage is, with their interviewing of air-heads who could barely name 5 drivers in the field while we could be watching support races happening in the background and such. It's that sort of thing that makes me glad I'm working all day during the weekend lead-up and that way I can fast foward through the recorder and delete all that crap in large chunks and watch the actual on-track action straight up.

#797 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,794 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:07

I don't watch it till 5 minutes before the race because

That been my plan for a while now.

Switch the TV on just a few moments before,
and when done, immediately switch it off again.

#798 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,045 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:46

So I've seen (tv on but not watching) puberty blues plugs and now Matt Preston

So either they are f'ing stupid and didn't learn from the criticism last year, or worse still, it actually works with casual viewers and they're going to stick with it

#799 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,578 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:13

So I've seen (tv on but not watching) puberty blues plugs and now Matt Preston

So either they are f'ing stupid and didn't learn from the criticism last year, or worse still, it actually works with casual viewers and they're going to stick with it

They haven't been as over the top though with the cross promotion as last year - it seems to come in waves of it so unfortunately you caught one of those cross-promo intensive bursts. But while not covering all of the track action - such as the historics :well: - they have been doing quite a bit of F1 focused stuff. IMO they have taken the criticism from 2012 on board, it is far more reasonable coverage this year...

Advertisement

#800 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 895 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:05

They haven't been as over the top though with the cross promotion as last year - it seems to come in waves of it so unfortunately you caught one of those cross-promo intensive bursts. But while not covering all of the track action - such as the historics :well: - they have been doing quite a bit of F1 focused stuff. IMO they have taken the criticism from 2012 on board, it is far more reasonable coverage this year...

I'd say it's an improvement but not by much. Not having coverage of a support race and instead talking with some knob-head irrelevant to motor sport is completely unacceptable.