* * * * - 3 votes

Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#801 WigF1

WigF1

• 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:17

Could they have more adverts FFS? Show the majority in the crap leading up to the race...

Advertisement

#802 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:20

commercial imperatives blah blah blah nothing has changed. that's what live timing's for. mind you, amused that they've managed to blank out the entire martin hindmarsh pitwall interview!

#803 mongo580

mongo580

• 62 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 21:40

Glad I was at the track for three days. Although had to put up with Neil Crompton as the track commentator. Thank goodness the F1s require the wearing of earplugs that helpfully drown out the comments.

So are 10 doing the all European races in SD like last year? Rather it be on One in HD.

#804 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 881 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:18

So are 10 doing the all European races in SD like last year? Rather it be on One in HD.

Not sure. Malaysia will be broadcast on ONE though....

#805 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:21

a bit confused: autosport and f1.com both say chinese GP starts at 5pm EST but one's coverage goes from 3.30 to 6pm. looks like somebody got a bit confused with daylights saving and overcorrected...

http://tv-guide.ten.com.au/

#806 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:41

called one today: got an answering machine but a flunky called me back almost immediately and, after some confusion about whether i was talking about ten or one, i explained how the live scheduling was apparently out of whack by an hour. i double-checked autosport and formula1.com's local time converters with an online timezone converter: they were right and one is wrong. hopefully it will be corrected soon!

#807 icecream

icecream

• 396 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:03

delayed quali telecast in australia?  coverage set to run 10:05->11:30pm.

Edited by icecream, 07 September 2013 - 11:03.

#808 Eff One 2002

Eff One 2002

• 881 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:41

delayed quali telecast in australia?  coverage set to run 10:05->11:30pm.

Yup, they joined the telecast just in time for Q1 to begin with no lead-up or anything because of ****ing football coverage. :mad:  :down:

Edited by Eff One 2002, 08 September 2013 - 01:41.

#809 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 22:43

so I guess we're satisfied / mollified with the coverage this year? I thought rusty's spin the AMGs in NZ was one of the lamest pieces of TV ever but at least it was brief...

anyway, here's hoping gina and her mining mates move the GP to perth for 2016 in anticipation of WDC dan!

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/110153

#810 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,778 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:45

so I guess we're satisfied / mollified with the coverage this year?

Not even slightly.

Races still in standard definition, and fools for commentators.

On the rare occasions I dont mute the audio, they're only saying:

- Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber

- Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo

- just repeating what Martin Brundle told us a few minutes earlier before the ad break

There is seriously not a single reason I have to listen to anything they have to say, before during or after the race.

#811 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,796 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:18

Not even slightly.

Races still in standard definition, and fools for commentators.

On the rare occasions I dont mute the audio, they're only saying:

- Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber Mark Webber

- Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo Daniel Ricciardo

- just repeating what Martin Brundle told us a few minutes earlier before the ad break

There is seriously not a single reason I have to listen to anything they have to say, before during or after the race.

Ah yes the old Mark Webber pre show.

Unfortunately now that Ricciardo has made the big time we're going to have to listen to them talk about him.

#812 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 433 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:37

10 coverage still sucks, nothing has changed except now its mostly in SD which is laughable in 2013.

#813 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:46

I assume Korean GP is on one? of course, the TV guide on their site doesn't reach that far ahead...

#814 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,866 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:23

Does SD really make a difference?

[exits the room chuckling while they tear themselves apart]

#815 icecream

icecream

• 396 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:43

I don't find it that bad.. except the ads.  Personally I like the pre race interviews with the local boys, but then I am guilty of following them much closer than other's in the field.

As for SD v HD, on my 32" tv SD is fine, but yes HD is better.  I guess the rights are cheaper for SD coverage. 

#816 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,074 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:35

One thing that annoys me about Alan Jones is that whenever it is raining, he will say something along the lines of "This is a great chance for Dan to really step up and have a great result", when if he was paying attention, would realise that intermediate conditions seriously with Vergne, but to answer the above question, aren't we just used to it now

#817 ausf1webber

ausf1webber

• 175 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:31

[quote name="mongo580" post="6179943" timestamp="1363642828"]Glad I was at the track for three days. Although had to put up with Neil Crompton as the track commentator. Thank goodness the F1s require the wearing of earplugs that helpfully drown out the comments.
(Quote)
If you compare the other commentators Neil Crompton leaves the others for dead, I was also in Singapore and the thorough knowledge and ability to convey that to casual F1 spectators stood out, I guess that's why he is given the job.
It is easy to criticise others but u should try it some time, maybe you preferred the couple with the usa accent that spent 3 days of over the top nothingness. The English guys seemed to think they were at Silverstone with a predominantly English audience who only were interested in Sam Bird in gp2 or hammy and Jensen in f1.

#818 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 23:19

had a bit of a scare when I saw autosport home page pointing to a 4pm local start time for the race with one schedule advertising 4.30pm start to coverage, but then remembered daylight saving starts that day. phew!

it's actually very well-timed if you're an NRL fan...

Edited by repcobrabham, 29 September 2013 - 23:20.

#819 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,054 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 00:09

I don't mind the local guys,i don't  know why they were told to wear suits thou.AJ has matured well as a commentator,he doesn't talk about his own career now unless asked or it fits the point he trying to make.

http://www.yourtv.com.au/guide/sun/

Advertisement

#820 Thomas99

Thomas99

• 1,796 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:23

I don't find it that bad.. except the ads.  Personally I like the pre race interviews with the local boys, but then I am guilty of following them much closer than other's in the field.

As for SD v HD, on my 32" tv SD is fine, but yes HD is better.  I guess the rights are cheaper for SD coverage. 

They want it on their main station, which is what the ratings matter for. Back when no one watched it they shoved it on One, but I imagine following 2010 the audience picked up.

#821 mongo580

mongo580

• 62 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:00

If you compare the other commentators Neil Crompton leaves the others for dead, I was also in Singapore and the thorough knowledge and ability to convey that to casual F1 spectators stood out, I guess that's why he is given the job.
It is easy to criticise others but u should try it some time, maybe you preferred the couple with the usa accent that spent 3 days of over the top nothingness. The English guys seemed to think they were at Silverstone with a predominantly English audience who only were interested in Sam Bird in gp2 or hammy and Jensen in f1.

I'm happy to have a go. Once the lights go out I'd stay quiet unless there is an incident that needs reporting. Not go over the top,talk a million miles an hour and loud (yes Neil is guilty of this too). Also when the lights are going out I'd scream "Boogity boogity boogity let's go racing boys'. :clap:

#822 WigF1

WigF1

• 62 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:42

Not live for QLD tonight? I see OneHD have it at 7pm, but race starts at 6:30pm?

Edit: seems Autosport homepage might have wrong time for Buddh!

Edited by WigF1, 27 October 2013 - 05:48.

#823 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,074 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:43

Race start is live for one so yeah, autosport might be wrong because I think (don't quote me on it) the UK had to set their clocks back from daylight saving

#824 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,866 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:53

My online telly guide says 7pm coverage start and the race is 7:30 Brissy time so it should be live with a half hour lead in

Seems daylight savings might be the culprit again

#825 GD66

GD66

• 2,178 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:02

I'm happy to have a go. Once the lights go out I'd stay quiet unless there is an incident that needs reporting. Not go over the top,talk a million miles an hour and loud (yes Neil is guilty of this too). Also when the lights are going out I'd scream "Boogity boogity boogity let's go racing boys'. :clap:

Jeez, there's an idea to adopt for the F1 coverage ! :lol:

#826 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,291 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:24

was at a Ferrari media event yesterday and a photographer there told me that foxtel have done a deal very similar to BBC / sky, with only six FTA qualis and races per year (presumably asia / pacific races) but full practice / quali / race coverage on pay TV.

this bloke was quite certain about it and didn't seem the type to bullshit, but I can find nothing about this online. anyone heard anything?

#827 wonk123

wonk123

• 926 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:31

There is some deal like that for V8SC, so it wouldn't suprise me if F1 went the same way. 2015?

#828 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,866 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:44

Death of the sport in Oz if true.

Even the V8's will struggle with a deal like this.

#829 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 433 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:00

I haven't heard anything, but if true i think it is good news. Finally we will get proper coverage without it being full of ads like channel 10.

#830 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:40

That is incredibly great news, although I'm not sure I believe it.

Channel 10 has let the country down with sports and one 'hd'.

And death of sport my arse. We are one of the richest countries on the planet, yet demand everything for free.

#831 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 170 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:44

And death of sport my arse. We are one of the richest countries on the planet, yet demand everything for free.

Yeah, as much as I don't like paying Murdoch, my housemate has it and I must admit for sport it's quite good (pity we have to pay for a heap of crap to get the sport channels).

You can already stream it as higher quality than Ten for every race, better than Ten for every other race (720p BBC) and not far off One with increasingly good p2p streaming.

I hope it would mean we actually get the sky f1 channel, not just select sessions on one of the fox sports channels.

#832 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:48

I am pretty sure it would match their MotoGP strategy, so live international feed (sky) for all sessions, on Speed HD channel.

#833 The Passenger

The Passenger

• 847 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:55

I would have a big problem giving Rupert Murdoch money.

#834 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,866 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:32

Been through all this before but existing subscribers to Rupert-vision will love it because they get it for free, but it screws over many other fans. Haven't the UK rating dropped since the Sky deal, in a country that cares about F1?
It's a niche here and you'll kiss goodbye to all the 'casual' watchers

I'll be updating my anti-spyware and visiting the Nigerian Steaming Club

#835 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:13

And I call bs on fans 'getting screwed'. The vast majority of sports viewing demographic are in the full time employment bracket.

A Fox sports sub, which gives all 10 of the 24/7 sports channels, costs $86 per month, or cheaper if you self install, get a good signup deal or promotion etc.

Median wage is around 50-75k depending on source. ~$4200 - 6250 per month.

You can't argue it's out of reach for even a casual viewer household, if just one person sits inside that demographic.

If you want to take a moral stand, that's fine. I don't understand it, but I won't argue.

The problem I have is the entitlement culture. People will shell out way more just to take the family to one footy match.

#836 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:32

And I call bs on fans 'getting screwed'. The vast majority of sports viewing demographic are in the full time employment bracket.
A Fox sports sub, which gives all 10 of the 24/7 sports channels, costs $86 per month, or cheaper if you self install, get a good signup deal or promotion etc.

You can't argue it's out of reach for even a casual viewer household, if just one person sits inside that demographic.
If you want to take a moral stand, that's fine. I don't understand it, but I won't argue.

The problem I have is the entitlement culture. People will shell out way more just to take the family to one footy match.

Sorry but I've no idea how you can be sure of what people can or can't afford.

Circumstances will differ from one family to the next but I dare say a single income family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids) with a mortgage will not see $50-$75k go that far. The best part of $100 a month just may not be affordable for them.

And tbh I don't see how not wanting to pay for Foxtel is part of 'the entitlement culture' either...

Edited by krapmeister, 28 March 2014 - 10:41.

#837 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:59

I'm not saying which people can or can't.

Plenty of people will prioritise a pack a day smoking habit, an extra kid, new car, trip to the footy, or whatever else above their desire to watch F1 (or pay tv in general).

My point is that it is within reach for most of the viewing demographic in this country. Outside that demographic, retirees already hold a higher than average sub base for pay tv, and those below, are largely in a single or dual median+ income family.

On entitlement - F1 is obviously not turning a profit for Ch10 except for the Aus GP - which is why stepping down to fewer races and smaller FOM fee would make sense for them.

So really the blame should go to either Ch10 for not being willing to continue going in the red to fund the telecast, or to ABC/SBS for not deeming it worthy of gov subsidy (comparative to the UK situation with BBC).

Now all this said, I totally understand and empathise with best case scenario of a FTA telecast. One of the very first races I watched as a kid was a BBC highlights of a Brazilian GP in the 80s, in the middle of fkn no where rural Victoria, in a caravan with some dodgy black & white telly, diesel genset and coathanger antenna that my old man rigged up at 2am.

Going to a pay barrier will block a lot of kids seeing a lot of races. But watching TV didn't make me a lifer fan and influence me towards racing and engineering, It was attending Adelaide GPs.

#838 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,008 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:04

Most of those full time workers on the $50,000-$75,000 income don't spend their days watching cable TV channels. They especially don't spend their time watching cable channels that are polluted with commercials. When they do want to watch TV they won't sit there watching 3 year old episodes of family guy full of adds. Pay TV is simply having to create a monopoly on sports to survive. If it wasn't for sports pay tv would be dead. TV shows, movies, news, even documentaries, have all been replaced by net based media and DVD/blueray. Just stream or download what you want for free or for just a few dollars, or just buy an entire series boxset of your favorite show for far less than the cost of just one month of Foxtel. It will also be the latest episodes, not ones that are years out of date.

Yes fans are getting screwed (if this is indeed true). They go from getting every race live on FTA to having to buy the privilege off foxtel at about $55 a race. Pay TV has gone from giving people something extra by showing TV and sports shows that would have never normally been seen in Australia (commercial free as well) to slowly buying up everything we already had anyway (and wanting to stick their adds in or at least around it). As more sports take up net based subscription services (or start to see the connection between FTA and sponsorship numbers and the damage pay TV does to the sport) hopefull this sports monopoly will finally die.

Edited by Jazza, 28 March 2014 - 11:06.

#839 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:22

Not that I am really motivated to argue on behalf foxtel.

But you're ignoring the instant new yank HBO/AMC/Showtime etc. cable TV episodes (most on weeks/months/years delay on FTA), large quantity of ad free movies, various other exclusive content (to our marketplace).

The live streaming thing is fantasy land for anyone without tech knowledge. We have no established net flix type alternative. Smart TVs are moving things forwards but have an extremely slow uptake rate. You don't take into account the availability or cost of broadband (~6 mil out of ~8 mil households have 256kbps, but the percentage on a high speed or high DL/UP quota link is far lower). 

Very few (probably lower than the foxtel subscriber base of ~2,5 mil) have that combination of speed & quota to stream reliably at even 256kbps (which is actually lower quality than SD 576p tv despite what people state here).

etc etc etc

Advertisement

#840 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,866 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:30

*cough*
And why do we have crap internet locked in?
*cough*
Rupert
*cough*
What?

#841 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:31

I'm not saying which people can or can't.

Plenty of people will prioritise a pack a day smoking habit, an extra kid, new car, trip to the footy, or whatever else above their desire to watch F1 (or pay tv in general).

My point is that it is within reach for most of the viewing demographic in this country. Outside that demographic, retirees already hold a higher than average sub base for pay tv, and those below, are largely in a single or dual median+ income family.

On entitlement - F1 is obviously not turning a profit for Ch10 except for the Aus GP - which is why stepping down to fewer races and smaller FOM fee would make sense for them.
So really the blame should go to either Ch10 for not being willing to continue going in the red to fund the telecast, or to ABC/SBS for not deeming it worthy of gov subsidy (comparative to the UK situation with BBC).

Now all this said, I totally understand and empathise with best case scenario of a FTA telecast. One of the very first races I watched as a kid was a BBC highlights of a Brazilian GP in the 80s, in the middle of fkn no where rural Victoria, in a caravan with some dodgy black & white telly, diesel genset and coathanger antenna that my old man rigged up at 2am.
Going to a pay barrier will block a lot of kids seeing a lot of races. But watching TV didn't make me a lifer fan and influence me towards racing and engineering, It was attending Adelaide GPs.

The SBS/ABC v. BBC comparison isn't really fair - the BBC receives an enormous amount of funding relatively and the way the BBC operates within the UK television environment is also very different.

Unfortunately watching the F1 on telly was what made me a lifelong fan - living in Brisbane I never got to the GP and didn't see one in person until I moved to the UK in my twenties...

#842 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:51

The SBS/ABC v. BBC comparison isn't really fair - the BBC receives an enormous amount of funding relatively and the way the BBC operates within the UK television environment is also very different.

Unfortunately watching the F1 on telly was what made me a lifelong fan - living in Brisbane I never got to the GP and didn't see one in person until I moved to the UK in my twenties...

No it's not, and the licensing vs budgetary funding, and the huge local industry affected by the choice. Less kids deciding on engineering etc.

The BBC reached the same conclusion as public/private Aussie FTA though.

#843 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:58

The BBC reached the same conclusion as public/private Aussie FTA though.

Which might beg the question - how long before PayTV reaches the same thing? :p

#844 slideways

slideways

• 3,254 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:10

Knowing Bernie, the license fee rises annually ad infinitum.  :well:

Let's cling to hope that the commercial rights are managed better once he falls off the perch.

#845 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:35

Interesting to see that both TEN and Fox Sports (Foxtel) have signed deals with Dorna for another couple of years - this means that MotoGP will continue to be shown on free-to-air.

That gives me more optimism that they will still sign a deal with FOM to continue showing the F1 - although I imagine this will be a far more expensive proposition for them than MotoGP. However with Ricciardo going so well at RBR they might be keen to try and retain it for another couple of years at least...

#846 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 433 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:24

Ultimately i'd like to see F1 on FTA but with an ad free version on foxsports or stream. From what i know about 10, i don't think they will be able to afford the exclusive rights to F1, it will be shared or nothing.

#847 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:31

Well that is kind of what I was thinking - if MotoGP can sign a deal with both Ten and Foxtel, then perhaps they can strike a similar deal (coverage on both FTA and PayTV) with F1.

#848 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,211 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 00:06

Special 2014-2015 dispensation for Aussie's who can't be arsed to fork out even more $AUD for nuthin'.

kD35cch.jpg

Jp