* * * * - 3 votes

Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#101 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:53

It was shit, i've agreed with that already.

However, I have real things in my life to get passionate about rather than tv, its just sport after all.

Advertisement

#102 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:04

However, I have real things in my life to get passionate about rather than tv, its just sport after all.

haha, you sound like my missus :p

#103 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:13

maybe I am  ;)

#104 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:30

:lol:

#105 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:35

At least we get good coverage and since it is not on FOXTEL (WHICH I LOVE), I mean people can get into it and more casual viewers. My mates didn't like F1 till now.

Personally besides the ads (which have to happen), we are getting good coverage. Just the Breakfast Crew is terrible but other than that pretty solid (granted It helped that I could change to the Shield Final)

#106 prospeked

prospeked

• 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:09

The Australian GP weekend was a total abomination but I am going to let them make up for it with the normal GP coverage before I jump to the F1 should be on pay tv camp. It was basically a 20+ hour add for vitamins and channel ten self promotion with maybe 5 hours of ad interrupted F1 action. The breakfast show and the whole QANTAS club thing was just insulting. Some of the painful moments were a D grade celeb declaring his favourite F1 team as "Testa Rossa" or the whole cringe worthy Laura Bingle interview. More or less every interview revolved around asking the female celebs which driver they want to date or asking the guys if they had seen any nice grid girls. My absolute high light was the clown doing the interviews with the drivers at the autograph area. Lewis Hamilton was filling with rage every time the idiot asked a stupid question and you tell he just wanted to tell him to f#@k off or at least snot him. Hilarious! I saw the same Nico Hulkenberg interview with Tom Clarkson about 4 times during sat and sun. They could so easily have filled some time showing some highlights of past Australian Grand Prix or doing a proper run down on the teams and drivers

I wonder if the three regular F1 presenters who are all proper motor sport guys (well two of them) were aware of how much the broadcast sucked? An apology of at least an acknowledgment of how bad it all was from one of them would go a long way!

#107 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:30

The Australian GP weekend was a total abomination but I am going to let them make up for it with the normal GP coverage before I jump to the F1 should be on pay tv camp. It was basically a 20+ hour add for vitamins and channel ten self promotion with maybe 5 hours of ad interrupted F1 action. The breakfast show and the whole QANTAS club thing was just insulting. Some of the painful moments were a D grade celeb declaring his favourite F1 team as "Testa Rossa" or the whole cringe worthy Laura Bingle interview. More or less every interview revolved around asking the female celebs which driver they want to date or asking the guys if they had seen any nice grid girls. My absolute high light was the clown doing the interviews with the drivers at the autograph area. Lewis Hamilton was filling with rage every time the idiot asked a stupid question and you tell he just wanted to tell him to f#@k off or at least snot him. Hilarious! I saw the same Nico Hulkenberg interview with Tom Clarkson about 4 times during sat and sun. They could so easily have filled some time showing some highlights of past Australian Grand Prix or doing a proper run down on the teams and drivers

I wonder if the three regular F1 presenters who are all proper motor sport guys (well two of them) were aware of how much the broadcast sucked? An apology of at least an acknowledgment of how bad it all was from one of them would go a long way!

I hate to say it but they have to draw new viewers even if it is via crud.

Lara Bingle? You mean the chick who nearly ruined Pup's cricketing career. Drop the weight and scoring double tons. :p

I mean the coverage isn't that great but you will get less viewers by showing good quality feeder races than stuff that rates.

#108 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:46

I hate to say it but they have to draw new viewers even if it is via crud.

Lara Bingle? You mean the chick who nearly ruined Pup's cricketing career. Drop the weight and scoring double tons. :p

I mean the coverage isn't that great but you will get less viewers by showing good quality feeder races than stuff that rates.

I disagree - plenty would have loved to see formula ford guys trying to impress, or the group a &c touring cars. But then that would have made it a sports telecast. I know that Ten have always preferred to talk about it than show it, no matter what - it needs a panel discuusion.

But I say Why have filler when you could have killer?

(BTW I thought Richard Craill did an excellent job, could be "promoted")

mymemoryfails

#109 McPedro

McPedro

• 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:46

I thought it was pretty good coverage to be honest, there is fook all happening between races anyhoo :well:

The Sky figures for the UK are out and it seems like there was over 50% less people watching it live; I would think it would be much more than that if it was on Foxtel here (I don't have Foxtel and couldn't justify paying $100/m for F1 alone).

#110 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:51

(I don't have Foxtel and couldn't justify paying $100/m for F1 alone).

Don't say that out loud, you'll be branded 'not a real fan'

#111 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34

Don't say that out loud, you'll be branded 'not a real fan'

nah, his opening sentence was what locked that in  ;)

#112 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 13:42

My absolute high light was the clown doing the interviews with the drivers at the autograph area. Lewis Hamilton was filling with rage every time the idiot asked a stupid question and you tell he just wanted to tell him to f#@k off or at least snot him.

Yes, that annoyed me too.

I was at the race, but just before we left to go to the track on Sunday I turned on the TV to see what was happening. They went to an interview with Webber, which wasnt so much an interview as a "interupt the guy with a microphone and some questions and if he doesnt answer me he'll look like an arsehole, so he'll answer". This interview was conducted while Mark was dutifully signing autographs for actual fans who might have liked to have said a few words to Mark and maybe asked him a question or two, rather than have the dickhead from Ten take away all of their maybe 5 seconds in front of Mark.

Poor form Ten, it really made my blood boil to think they cared so little about anything else but getting a grab from Webber that they would interupt the fans' moment with Mark - fans who'd probably been waiting for hours for a few seconds of his time. :down:

#113 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,586 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 14:00

I'm telling you guys that moving everything to pay TV achieves nothing. once they get everything then there's no need to be special. Like I said, over here EVERYONE has it and it's the same cringe worthy coverage most of the time for most sports, thought not quite as lame TBH 'cos north americans love sports analysis.

#114 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 409 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 14:07

I thought it was pretty good coverage to be honest, there is fook all happening between races anyhoo :well:

The Sky figures for the UK are out and it seems like there was over 50% less people watching it live; I would think it would be much more than that if it was on Foxtel here (I don't have Foxtel and couldn't justify paying $100/m for F1 alone).

Dude FOXTEL is boss.

Where am I going to get my NBA, NFL, NRL, AFL, Overseas Cricket, Tennis, EPL and Super 15 from.

FOXTEL is so worth it for sport.

#115 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:57

You obviously weren't at the track, there was never more than say 10/15mins between on track action.

#116 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 21:59

Don't use the Aus gp as a guide, it is in the early hours of the morning after all, I will be much more interested in those figures once they reach Europe and its on a primetime for them.

#117 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,315 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 22:09

that's year-on-year and i suspect it will bear out ... i'm pro-foxtel but i'd be happy for F1 to stay on FTA (which directors who understand the sport, mind you), i'm just saying that i think it may not continue if melbourne doesn't renew after 2015. watch this space.

haha you serious, every major event on every network in Australia gets packed full of crap cross promotion for their own network, what we saw was nothing new.. The whole lead up to the AFL GF is pure crap and just as many but slightly better b grade celebs..

maybe that's because it's on channel 10? nine's coverage of the NRL GF is as focused as their aus GP coverage used to be, say what you will about that shadow of a network these days but it still does sport best.

#118 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 22:19

that's year-on-year and i suspect it will bear out ... i'm pro-foxtel but i'd be happy for F1 to stay on FTA (which directors who understand the sport, mind you), i'm just saying that i think it may not continue if melbourne doesn't renew after 2015. watch this space.

maybe that's because it's on channel 10? nine's coverage of the NRL GF is as focused as their aus GP coverage used to be, say what you will about that shadow of a network these days but it still does sport best.

I think Channel 7 does sport best to be honest. AFL grand final, Melbourne Cup, Olympic Games (if they still have those, i am actually not sure if they still do) and the Rugby Union that they used to cover was always good coverage. They do a good job of V8 Supercars, when they're actually showing coverage and not ad breaks. That is the problem these days, ad breaks are getting longer and coverage is getting shorter, instead of saying 'ad breaks are breaking up the coverage into segments' its 'the coverage is breaking up the ad breaks into segments'. That is why sport on Fox is so much better. One thing that ONE does that does annoy me and this is probably purely down to the fact that is is 'sponsored' less is during MotoGP coverage of the race there isnt an ad break, and if there is there is one. Lets say average Motogp race is 45mins long for example, in 45mins of F1 coverage we would probably be 'treated' to 4 or 5 ad breaks

#119 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,009 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 22:34

Dude FOXTEL is boss.

Where am I going to get my NBA, NFL, NRL, AFL, Overseas Cricket, Tennis, EPL and Super 15 from.

FOXTEL is so worth it for sport.

Well almost all of that was on FTA ten years ago (and a lot of it still is). In most cases Foxtel just took what we all had anyway and stuck a price tag on it. Now that Foxtel has their hands on most of the good stuff I can understand why people want it. But just because they have most of the good stuff today doesn't mean that they should have everything.

If everyone pulled their subscription tomorrow and Foxtel shut down, all the big sports that Foxtel offer would end up on FTA in no time. Foxtel isn't as much offering extra sports as they are hoarding what could be available to all anyway.

Edited by Jazza, 21 March 2012 - 22:36.

Advertisement

#120 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 23:36

Wow, if you have time to watch all that no wonder we're coming from different viewpoints.

I agree that 9 does the footy reasonably well (although programming at Ch 9 consists of showing the footy and then squeezing in as much 2 1/2 men as possible, then sleeping for the rest of the week). I think they genuinely care about it and it shows.
However they (and others) do something that grates me much worse than ill timed ad breaks. Working advertising into the commentary, and gambling at that.

Whoever had the last olympics was apalling btw, just disgraceful. Mindless chat show banter, abbreviated podium ceermonies showing the Aussie in bronze and not even bothering to show/respect the winner etc.

Foxtel was originally sold to the people as ad free wasnt it? Then ads start to creep in bit by bit. If they get more penetration (hehe) then the temptation to squeeze more ads in will become too great. Remeber theyre not there for your entertainment, its a business ... and Rupert does business well.

#121 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 00:19

Wow, if you have time to watch all that no wonder we're coming from different viewpoints.

I agree that 9 does the footy reasonably well (although programming at Ch 9 consists of showing the footy and then squeezing in as much 2 1/2 men as possible, then sleeping for the rest of the week). I think they genuinely care about it and it shows.
However they (and others) do something that grates me much worse than ill timed ad breaks. Working advertising into the commentary, and gambling at that.

Whoever had the last olympics was apalling btw, just disgraceful. Mindless chat show banter, abbreviated podium ceermonies showing the Aussie in bronze and not even bothering to show/respect the winner etc.

Foxtel was originally sold to the people as ad free wasnt it? Then ads start to creep in bit by bit. If they get more penetration (hehe) then the temptation to squeeze more ads in will become too great. Remeber theyre not there for your entertainment, its a business ... and Rupert does business well.

yet you have time to post here fairly often :p

the olympics are a joke to start with. so many different sports being shown at the same time; it is made for the casual viewer. the coverage was quite fitting i thought.

yes, they have ads, but they never show them while play is occuring during live sport. its always at half-time etc. only exception to the rule is nascar, but they have ads in the feed before foxtel even gets it.

Edited by lbennie, 22 March 2012 - 01:35.

#122 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 779 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:19

Jeeze, how precious is some of this stuff :rolleyes:

1. The race could have been done better, but it really wasn't all that bad.

2. Yes, it would have been nice to have seen a lot of the support races, but that is just icing on the cake.

3. Anyone who listens to the TV commentators looking for more than entertainment value just is not digging deep enough - you have the information streamed on screen, live timing and live commentary from any number of sources to inform you, and as a result most of the time I think that I am better informed than what I hear from the TV audio :)

4. No way will I be buying Foxtel to see the F1.

#123 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 409 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:58

Channel 7 only has like some AFL, V8s and Melbourne Cup and of course the Aussie Open

Channel 9 has Cricket, League, Olympics, Union and Horse Racing, Wimbledon and the French finals

Ten has AFL GF, F1, Swimming and some AFL I think :S

So Channel 7 sucks.

Hey I love FOXTEL and I only watched the important parts of the Aussie GP Weekend.

Whining even about ads in sport. You need ads and sometimes to feed that FOXTEL gets is ads, so just put ads.

#124 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:21

Ive read that 3 times and still dont know what im reading.

#125 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:03

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

#126 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 409 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 13:51

I didn't know what I'm typing. :p

In short FOXTEL is cool because of sport. ONE's F1 coverage is meh but other users find it worse.

That's basically it. :p

#127 Spa One

Spa One

• 344 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:12

Are One not showing quali today?

#128 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 431 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:21

Yeah starts shortly :)

#129 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 429 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:35

The race starts at 6pm and One coverage starts at 5:30pm,not 6:30pm like Greg Rust said at the end of qualli! Lucky I checked!

#130 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,106 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:01

For me it starts at 6:30 in NSW are you in a different state? dont know why pre-race show is only half an hour cause they are only showing a fishing show

#131 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:06

Same here in Melbourne...6.30pm coverage starts.

#132 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 431 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:17

530 in QLD..

#133 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:12

How ****ing hard is it? Seriously?

#134 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:18

Posted Image

#135 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:15

At least it seems they've learned from Melbourne's fiasco and crammed in the ad breaks during the safety car/red flag.
Probably because the rest of Channel Ten doesn't care about this race and the motorsport guys have more control.

ps. formula1.com .... click on convert to my timezone ... pretty idiot proof

#136 mongo580

mongo580

• 63 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:27

Greg Rust said, as the safety car was going round, "we know you like watching the racing so we'll take this opportunity to take a break". So they know!

Did you notice though once the race re-started, there was at least 40mins without commercials (it was probably not that long but it was long enough to notice).

#137 KOMORI

KOMORI

• 431 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:39

I did notice that: it's normally roughly 10-12 mins between add breaks, that period you're referring to had to be at least half an hour: long enough for me to wonder what was going on really and start to miss Greg Rust's impressive presentative skillz*

*not...

#138 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:45

Greg Rust said, as the safety car was going round, "we know you like watching the racing so we'll take this opportunity to take a break". So they know!

Did you notice though once the race re-started, there was at least 40mins without commercials (it was probably not that long but it was long enough to notice).

to be fair, this was literally 5 minutes after the previous ad break.

#139 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 298 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:08

Maybe the money saved by getting rid of one studio person would pay for a decent audio link to the sky/bbc?

Honestly ABC cricket coverage from England in 1960 was more stable technically.

How embarassment

mymemoryfail

Edited by mymemoryfails, 27 March 2012 - 05:09.

Advertisement

#140 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,015 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:01

Didnt they say when back on the air that they were hit by lightning? Lets see how many things function after that event.

Maybe you should write a letter of complaint to whoever controls the weather over Malaysia? :rolleyes:

#141 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,055 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:05

Yep,power of Twitter and Forums,also Beattie isn't staring at the camera with those blank creepy looks on his face nearly as much as he used too.

#142 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:16

Didnt they say when back on the air that they were hit by lightning? Lets see how many things function after that event.

Maybe you should write a letter of complaint to whoever controls the weather over Malaysia? :rolleyes:

yes, and in that letter, ask them why the weather only effects ONE and not SKY or RAI or star sports or BBC etc. :rolleyes:

#143 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:23

Tunein radio + amplifier + BBC = no One HD commentary :)

#144 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:45

Tunein radio + amplifier + BBC = no One HD commentary :)

:up:

#145 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,034 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:14

i must admit, i was a big fan of crofty last year during practice sessions when watching a stream - I kind of turned a blind eye to his mclaren centric commentary as it was intended for UK viewers only.

he has carried it over though to this year, and coupled with ted's (my blood runs silver) interjections it is starting to do my head in already.

as much as i enjoy martin, i'm considering the switch.
is coulthard and co an improvement?

#146 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:24

Bedwards is good imo. Better than crofty. DC is obviously not as good as Brundle but he never makes you think "shut it you moron" and so the commentary experience is as it should be - something in the background and complimenting the racing.

Rather than listening to some oaf screaming at the telly so much that it detracts from the action itself. Ahem. CROFTY

#147 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 894 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:38

Yes it seemed ONE were the only network to suffer an 'audio out' at the start of the race. No other network had such issues. I'm sure it was a 16 year old work experience kid who unplugged the wrong chord. And of course it had to happen at the beginning of the race, again. It's happened several times in the past year or two.

Who remembers the 2005 Japanese GP coverage? One of the most exciting races in years, and Channel 10 absolutely MASSACRED it. IIRC the broadcast was shortened to ~90 minutes including a quali wrap-up and all the bs before the race. They chopped out something like 23 laps of the 53 lap race. Disgrace.

#148 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 435 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:01

Yes it seemed ONE were the only network to suffer an 'audio out' at the start of the race. No other network had such issues. I'm sure it was a 16 year old work experience kid who unplugged the wrong chord. And of course it had to happen at the beginning of the race, again. It's happened several times in the past year or two.

Who remembers the 2005 Japanese GP coverage? One of the most exciting races in years, and Channel 10 absolutely MASSACRED it. IIRC the broadcast was shortened to ~90 minutes including a quali wrap-up and all the bs before the race. They chopped out something like 23 laps of the 53 lap race. Disgrace.

mhmm i remember those days when they would cut laps out, they did it to various degrees at every race. Ofcourse they have had to improve their coverage due to internet streaming instead of treating their viewers like crap, but then they shit like playing the BBC feed instead of sky and then blaming it on the weather lol. And then when they finally plugged in the right feed its volume was way down so they blamed that on the weather aswell.

#149 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 409 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:34

It was actually more amusing than annoying.

I actually don't hate the ONE HD coverage. At least we get FTA coverage and at least it is better than listening to Michael Slater or no just Michael Slater.

#150 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:28

ONE HD coverage could be better, but I am grateful that we get all the races live now :) sure its not as good as the poms get, but if you want that you can find streams online anyway (I like to watch the sky before and after race coverage)