* * * * - 3 votes

Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
843 replies to this topic

#251 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 370 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59

Pay TV gets money by subscription. FTA doesn't, they need advertisers for money which is why you get a lot of ads during F1, at least Rusty stops ads from happening if something important happens.

I don't care for ads really, they happen and look at the positives; we get F1 for free, it is live, decent coverage compared to other countries and a preview show (better than nothing) I mean see the positives not the negatives.

Advertisement

#252 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,310 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:53

I moved to the UK 4 years ago and got Sky Sports, and I'm surprised how little ads they show. Obviously they have the F1 ad free but even with coverage of indycar or other American sports that are fed with ad breaks in them they will instead cut to the studio and have their panelists chat about the event. Even when they're presented with an opportunity to show ads they don't always take it.

Oh and as a general thing, fta tv in Australia is shit, it's so nice to have shows starting and ending when scheduled.

#253 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:14

I moved to the UK 4 years ago and got Sky Sports, and I'm surprised how little ads they show. Obviously they have the F1 ad free but even with coverage of indycar or other American sports that are fed with ad breaks in them they will instead cut to the studio and have their panelists chat about the event. Even when they're presented with an opportunity to show ads they don't always take it.

Oh and as a general thing, fta tv in Australia is shit, it's so nice to have shows starting and ending when scheduled.

Yes yes YES! Although, when it comes to live sport, foxtel suk at this because if a show runs 20mins overtime then if you have a show recorded afterwards it will record atthe scheduled time so your recording the overrun program, and it will cut the remaining 20mins from your recorded program, i am surprised Foxtel havent fixed this yet.

#254 Burt007

Burt007

• 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 15:11

https://www.facebook...9...5268&type=1

So F1 AND MotoGP has gone from Live HD Coverage on ONE HD to Delayed SD telecast on Channel ten into Perth (Daniel Ricciardo's home town)..........

I haven't felt this bad since the Concorde retired..........the feeling we just went backwards a step.......... :evil:

#255 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 427 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 18:05

Thats kind of my point, theres nothing to compare it to to see if they would go 90 mins week in week out ad free.

The only similarities would be NASCAR/Indy/V8's etc and there either imported with ad breaks as has been said or on FTA. Just had to check, MotoGP races seem to go for about 40-45 mins so theyre no different to a half of footy, thats more easily done ad free.

I think if foxsports showed F1 they wouldn't put ads on during the race, but they would put them on during the pre and post race shows like they do with every other sport. The pre/post game shows for a-league, NRL etc. actually rate very well so it makes up for it.

#256 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,016 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 18:09

Australian TV has no patience, they need to get on a plane and see how it works in the states and Canada. Almost EVERYONE up here has pay TV, free to air is borderline unheard of.

NRL is way better than AFL on TV cos the action is concentrated. AFL has the problem of such a large field too.

#257 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 292 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:14

NRL is way better than AFL on TV cos the action is concentrated. AFL has the problem of such a large field too.

but it's an awful game. You get a "concentrated view" of an ugly thing.

mymemoryfails

#258 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:54

hmmm, AFL versus League ... thats going to keep this on track.

Im sure he'll clear it up, but maybe he meant that because of the fairly regular scoring method that is long enough in between tries to get some good continuous action and then a couple of mins for the restart, allowing 3 or 4 ads while nothing is happening?
I always got the opinion that AFL doesnt have much downtime between a goal or a miss and the bouncy thing.

#259 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:07

hmmm, AFL versus League ... thats going to keep this on track.

Im sure he'll clear it up, but maybe he meant that because of the fairly regular scoring method that is long enough in between tries to get some good continuous action and then a couple of mins for the restart, allowing 3 or 4 ads while nothing is happening?
I always got the opinion that AFL doesnt have much downtime between a goal or a miss and the bouncy thing.

The way AFL used to be done on FTA was that as soon as a goal was kicked, more often that not they would cut to a quick commercial usually only 1 commercial then come back for the bounce, but if it was 2 quick goals in succession they wouldn't cut to an ad break again they'd stay with it, they didn't take advantage of it so to speak. Has anybody actually contacted Ch10 for answers?

Advertisement

#260 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 292 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:22

Sorry I'll try to get back on track.

I think I could cope with a semi live telecast.

That is start it on time live but when there is an ad break go back to the point you left so you know you havent missed anything.

I know you're depending on the tv station not to screw you with ads ( their track record doesnt give much confidence) .
But at least you wont miss action and I'd try and tell myself to stay calm throughout the 3 minute break. Sure I know it's pretending , you could find out what was happening live online, but I would be able to "suspend curiosity" for a little bit I think. I mean now when you come back after hearing about bloody Shannons are real car people (real car people wouldn't want to interrupt a grand prix) for the billionth time you are worried about what you've missed.

This compromise would allow fta network their commercial necessity and mean I don't have to pay for pay tv for 2 or 4 hours a month, taking the risk they might act same as fta stations and bombard us with ads.
And why not convert the pre- race show to the ad-show? One hour continous ads so we can see the race ad-free?

mymemoryfails

#261 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:28

Sorry I'll try to get back on track.

I think I could cope with a semi live telecast.

That is start it on time live but when there is an ad break go back to the point you left so you know you havent missed anything.

I know you're depending on the tv station not to screw you with ads ( their track record doesnt give much confidence) .
But at least you wont miss action and I'd try and tell myself to stay calm throughout the 3 minute break. Sure I know it's pretending , you could find out what was happening live online, but I would be able to "suspend curiosity" for a little bit I think. I mean now when you come back after hearing about bloody Shannons are real car people (real car people wouldn't want to interrupt a grand prix) for the billionth time you are worried about what you've missed.

This compromise would allow fta network their commercial necessity and mean I don't have to pay for pay tv for 2 or 4 hours a month, taking the risk they might act same as fta stations and bombard us with ads.
And why not convert the pre- race show to the ad-show? One hour continous ads so we can see the race ad-free?

mymemoryfails

Nobody would bother turning the tv on til 5mins to race start, thus the 'ads' would be pointless, companies won't be getting their moneys worth. On the TenSport facebok page people are giving them a right old thumping! I've already attacked their twitter service but we aren't alone guys, there are alot of people sticking it to 10 and I say good on them!

#262 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,164 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:36

nope, delays as of the first ad break don't work for those who use live timing or like to banter on here. i'd sooner take ads but urge ten/one to be more creative in finding ways to have less complete stoppages.

but it's an awful game. You get a "concentrated view" of an ugly thing.

debating the relative merits of each game is boring and will remain unresolved forever in the tradition of the interwebz. debating the relative merits of each game as a televised event is totally different and also clear-cut in favour of league. that's why aussie rules attendances are way higher than either rugby code but TV ratings for league (on foxtel) are way higher than for aussie rules.

i'm not sure about the numbers for super rugby but the core advertiser profile - bundy rum, mac bank and mercedes benz - tells a different story again, which is actually more relevant to the viewer profile foxtel would expect from F1.

as to bskyb not running ads during NASCAR stoppages: everyone who can afford cable in the UK has it so the network is absolutely rolling in it. that's why murdoch has been trying to buy it outright - please note that news corp just holds a stake in both bskyb and foxtel, it owns neither outright.

#263 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:42

nope, delays as of the first ad break don't work for those who use live timing or like to banter on here. i'd sooner take ads but urge ten/one to be more creative in finding ways to have less complete stoppages.

debating the relative merits of each game is boring and will remain unresolved forever in the tradition of the interwebz. debating the relative merits of each game as a televised event is totally different and also clear-cut in favour of league. that's why aussie rules attendances are way higher than either rugby code but TV ratings for league (on foxtel) are way higher than for aussie rules.

i'm not sure about the numbers for super rugby but the core advertiser profile - bundy rum, mac bank and mercedes benz - tells a different story again, which is actually more relevant to the viewer profile foxtel would expect from F1.

as to bskyb not running ads during NASCAR stoppages: everyone who can afford cable in the UK has it so the network is absolutely rolling in it. that's why murdoch has been trying to buy it outright - please note that news corp just holds a stake in both bskyb and foxtel, it owns neither outright.

I question this, if that is the case, why give AFL its own channel with less viewers than could be possible with an NRL channel with more viewers? I don't believe that, but I'd be interested to see numbers.

#264 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:53

I'd sooner take ads but urge ten/one to be more creative in finding ways to have less complete stoppages.

Why oh why cant they go the picture in picture route that Alfisti mentioned ages ago what he gets in Canadia? Seriously its even better for the advertisers becuase people will be reluctant to leave the room and therefore absorb some of the advertising by osmosis while squinting at the little pic in the corner.

Anyway, I think theres none and buckleys of getting any info from Ten switchboard/facebook/twitter. I reckon the decision is down to 1 of 2 things. Either the tempporary move from the channel reshuffle i mentioned (in which case if theyre not making a public announcement on it, theyre not going to tell someone who rings up) or its a financial/advertising revenue decsion to try to rescue a tanking financial result (which they of course will tell you even less about).

Much like the racing itself, lets see how it all looks when we get to Europe.

#265 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 23:58

Apparently a website has done a write up on just how poor Ten is at explaining changes and/or answering questions regarding coverage etc. Still, no word from 10 after 3 full days of internet pandemonium, not even one little "We did it because of this" even if it was a total crock of crap, which it would be, they still haven't said a word.

#266 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 292 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 00:47

Apparently a website has done a write up on just how poor Ten is at explaining changes and/or answering questions regarding coverage etc. Still, no word from 10 after 3 full days of internet pandemonium, not even one little "We did it because of this" even if it was a total crock of crap, which it would be, they still haven't said a word.

And I seem to remember at the end of the Chinese GP telecast Greg Rust says " check your guides" for next race details, times etc."

I remember thinking how pathetic it was they couldn't tell me when (or where as it turns out) to tune in for next weeks edition. Pathetic in my mind.

mymemoryfails

#267 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 292 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 00:50

good luck with that! We all suffer

mymemoryfails

#268 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 370 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:48

AFL is so much better to watch than League. AFL Grand Final ratings crush NRL Grand Finals' and more people actually go to the games.

Not saying AFL is a better sport, they are both different but AFL is winning in the ratings battle.

To be fair on Ten, I mean it was Bahrain and the situation and stuff, so Ten wasn't sure if it was going to happen. Hopefully everything becomes more clear by Friday

#269 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:09

Yeah but Finnish Pes├Ąpallo out rates them all. Know what proof I used for that? The same as everyone else .... none.
Theres so many variables in what were talking about ratings, which city, peak viewers, overall viewers etc.

Anyway, I think we're all forgetting that this is for the Bahrain GP .... its gunna suck anyway

#270 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:01

AFL is so much better to watch than League. AFL Grand Final ratings crush NRL Grand Finals' and more people actually go to the games.

Not saying AFL is a better sport, they are both different but AFL is winning in the ratings battle.

To be fair on Ten, I mean it was Bahrain and the situation and stuff, so Ten wasn't sure if it was going to happen. Hopefully everything becomes more clear by Friday

That has nothing to do with it. If so, then it would be business as usual after Bahrain, but it is not. All the Euro races will be on Ten and in SD. Tv companies wouldn't gamble on the possibility that a race 'might' be cancelled.

#271 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:29

again, we are not debating which code is better: it's a matter of opinion, perspective and upbringing (union is my favourite game anyway). the point about this discussion and what makes it relevant to F1 is how it illustrates the differences between FTA and pay-TV coverage.

I question this, if that is the case, why give AFL its own channel with less viewers than could be possible with an NRL channel with more viewers? I don't believe that, but I'd be interested to see numbers.

it turns out the answer is (as is usually the case) more nuanced than you might think. i found an excellent exposition of sports ratings in australia that makes this point on aussie rules vs rugby league on foxtel:

With the NRL having five games to the AFL's four, and the AFL having a flexible arrangement whereby Foxtel games for local teams get shown on free-to-air in all cities bar Melbourne, the take up for pay-tv in New South Wales and Queensland is far greater than any other state. Consequently, NRL programs in 2009 have accounted for 60 of the top 100 programs on pay-tv, with their average rating per game being higher than the average AFL figure. However, when one takes into account the "reach" of the programs, a different story emerges. The reach measures the cumulative audience that watches a program (including when it was replayed at various times during the week) for any length of time. The reach of the average AFL home and away game on Foxtel was 562,000 to the NRL's 546,000.

http://www.talkingfo...atings_2011.php

it's no surprise that AFL spanks NRL on FTA as it's the premier national winter sport. the a-league and super rugby figures are impressive but it has to be remembered that both comps show all their games exclusively on foxtel. even so, it shows many people are prepared to pay to watch their preferred sport.

Edited by repcobrabham, 18 April 2012 - 09:31.

#272 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 370 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:44

I don't care really if F1 goes to FOXTEL cause I have it anyway but still I'm not picky, if it is live I will take it.

#273 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:59

again, we are not debating which code is better: it's a matter of opinion, perspective and upbringing (union is my favourite game anyway). the point about this discussion and what makes it relevant to F1 is how it illustrates the differences between FTA and pay-TV coverage.

it turns out the answer is (as is usually the case) more nuanced than you might think. i found an excellent exposition of sports ratings in australia that makes this point on aussie rules vs rugby league on foxtel:

With the NRL having five games to the AFL's four, and the AFL having a flexible arrangement whereby Foxtel games for local teams get shown on free-to-air in all cities bar Melbourne, the take up for pay-tv in New South Wales and Queensland is far greater than any other state. Consequently, NRL programs in 2009 have accounted for 60 of the top 100 programs on pay-tv, with their average rating per game being higher than the average AFL figure. However, when one takes into account the "reach" of the programs, a different story emerges. The reach measures the cumulative audience that watches a program (including when it was replayed at various times during the week) for any length of time. The reach of the average AFL home and away game on Foxtel was 562,000 to the NRL's 546,000.

http://www.talkingfo...atings_2011.php

it's no surprise that AFL spanks NRL on FTA as it's the premier national winter sport. the a-league and super rugby figures are impressive but it has to be remembered that both comps show all their games exclusively on foxtel. even so, it shows many people are prepared to pay to watch their preferred sport.

Its not the same this year however, all 9 games are shown LIVE and 'uninterrupted' on Foxtel. It just seems strange to me if NRL is so popular why Foxtel didn't push as hard as ever to do the same and make an NRL channel, after all Channel 9 and Foxtel are owned by the same person.

#274 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:07

Telstra owns channel 9???

#275 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:05

Yes yes YES! Although, when it comes to live sport, foxtel suk at this because if a show runs 20mins overtime then if you have a show recorded afterwards it will record atthe scheduled time so your recording the overrun program, and it will cut the remaining 20mins from your recorded program, i am surprised Foxtel havent fixed this yet.

This is why you always set the recorder to start ten minutes early and finish at least 20 minutes late. *nods sagely*

#276 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,016 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 14:24

My PVR allows a custom default set up, I set fir a 10 minute start and run it an hr late.

#277 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,022 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:05

I live on the Gold Coast, I lived here during Brisbane's domination, I live here now, it is very popular up here still, maybe not further north, and Queensland IS a Rugby League state, but even so, the game is popular and it is still growing, especially now after Hunt and Folau have switched codes. NSW I can't really comment on, but the fact that another NSW has entered the competition to me speaks for itself.

Australia is AFL dominated when it comes to ball sports.

Getting OT again but some of you may find this interesting,my Niece is a Journo and i attended a sport dinner with her last year and one of the guys at our table seemed to have a good line on current AFL expansion plans,he said they had adopted Macauthur's WW11 Jap. strategy,they were going to give the NRL North Qld for the forseeable future and concentrate on Southern Qld. with the introduction of a 3rd Team,probaly based in Brisbane but possibly in a regional centre like Toowoomba.When you take into account a Canberra based Team within 10 years and a long term goal to try and get something happening in Darwin the AFL is looking good.

What annoys me with 10 was that they were banging on during the AGP about them covering F-1 races live from mid April but failed to mention the removal of the live race from 1 after saying that all 2012 F-1 races would be on 1 around the time of the BBC-Sky deal last year.

#278 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:12

This is why you always set the recorder to start ten minutes early and finish at least 20 minutes late. *nods sagely*

Cant do that with Fixtel IQ2 you can only highlight the show you want to record and it will only run from that given timeslot start, you can extend 20mins at the end though but you cant start it earlier, theres no compromise hopefully they have addressed this when the new box comes out for the Olympics, the IQ3.

#279 Jazza

Jazza

• 992 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:17

I guess the issue is the fact that the primary channels in Australia are in SD, while their HD channels have been abandoned and turned into new secondary channels (9HD>Gem, 7HD>Mate, 10HD>One). In many ways going from One to Ten is in fact an upgrade for live F1 coverage, it's just a problem that the primary channel is only SD. I don't know the regulations for TV channels in Australia, but it appears that One is shown of both channel 1 and 12. Maybe Ten need to turn channel 12 into Ten HD if that is actually possible.

Advertisement

#280 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:33

I guess the issue is the fact that the primary channels in Australia are in SD, while their HD channels have been abandoned and turned into new secondary channels (9HD>Gem, 7HD>Mate, 10HD>One). In many ways going from One to Ten is in fact an upgrade for live F1 coverage, it's just a problem that the primary channel is only SD. I don't know the regulations for TV channels in Australia, but it appears that One is shown of both channel 1 and 12. Maybe Ten need to turn channel 12 into Ten HD if that is actually possible.

Well thats what I thought the second channels were always destined for, HD whereas the primary stays SD for the mass's that can't watch HD feeds, so they couldn't have One as HD and then turn 12 into 10HD because people who can't watch HD wouldn't be able to see One coverage. THis whole thing is just stupid though I mean channel 7 has about 3 normal channels that run the same as 7, and the only HD channel they have is 7Mate and even then not everything is run in HD.

I would just like Ten to release a statement telling us what is happening and why, not complete silence it just shows they do not care for the consumers.

#281 Jazza

Jazza

• 992 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:41

Well thats what I thought the second channels were always destined for, HD whereas the primary stays SD for the mass's that can't watch HD feeds, so they couldn't have One as HD and then turn 12 into 10HD because people who can't watch HD wouldn't be able to see One coverage.THis whole thing is just stupid though I mean channel 7 has about 3 normal channels that run the same as 7, and the only HD channel they have is 7Mate and even then not everything is run in HD.

I would just like Ten to release a statement telling us what is happening and why, not complete silence it just shows they do not care for the consumers.

That's how it is now but. One SD became Eleven, while one HD stayed on channel 1 And 12. Hence why the channel Ten coverage of F1 is an upgrade for all those who can't get HD. Many people have not been able to get One since they turned the SD channel into Eleven.

#282 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,164 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:57

Its not the same this year however, all 9 games are shown LIVE and 'uninterrupted' on Foxtel. It just seems strange to me if NRL is so popular why Foxtel didn't push as hard as ever to do the same and make an NRL channel, after all Channel 9 and Foxtel are owned by the same person.

re. ownership: nine does own a percentage of foxtel but not the whole thing. i believe telstra is the majority shareholder with news ltd and nine also holding chunks, the percentages escape me and i'm too busy at work to chase them but that's the structure. this might be why nine is happy to split the coverage between FTA and pay-TV. AFL has enough popularity (see my link) to sustain coverage in both formats simultaneously, so the foxtel conglomerate does a deal with seven and/or ten plus the AFL itself.

also, NRL fans generally aren't as committed to their code or their club as AFL fans are - for myriad reasons that we REALLY don't need to debate here - so the demand for wall-to-wall coverage just doesn't exist at a high enough level to be serviced. this is why i keep coming back to NRL (and also super rugby and a-league/EPL) as an illustration of why foxtel coverage could work if F1 fails to find a home on FTA after 2015. AFL is in its own universe in terms of popularity and commercial appeal so it isn't relevant.

#283 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 23:58

Quoting myself again becuase it seems that its been missed.
Eleven is still on #12 though isnt it? was the other night. Thats what i reckon is driving this who schamozzle, ELEVEN is #12 on the dial, was a stupid decison to start with, now theyre trying to rectify it.

Yeah couldn't agree more :up: :)

Quoting myself to point out that I noticed on my telly tonight that #11 (the One SD mirror) is coming up as 1080i and #12 is still 576i
So that means anyone with a SD only set top box cant get ONE at all, as both are now HD.
So, Id say Network Ten are finally aligning their channel names and numbers so that ONE is on #1, Ten is on #10 (both as before), Eleven will be moved to #11 and they'll move the ONE SD mirror to #12.

OLD
#1 ONE HD
#10 Ten SD
#11 ONE SD
#12 Eleven SD (?)

NEW
#1 ONE HD
#10 Ten SD
#11 Eleven HD
#12 One SD

If they didn't move the F1 to #10 for the next few weeks then anyone without an HD STB would not be able to watch it ... which would be even more unpopular methinks

#284 Jazza

Jazza

• 992 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:04

Quoting myself again becuase it seems that its been missed.
Eleven is still on #12 though isnt it? was the other night. Thats what i reckon is driving this who schamozzle, ELEVEN is #12 on the dial, was a stupid decison to start with, now theyre trying to rectify it.

I don't think so.

One = 1
Ten = 10
Eleven = 11
One = 12

The old way was

One HD = 1
Ten = 10
One SD = 11
One HD = 12

There seems to be two One HD channels. Why they can't make 12 into Ten HD (just a HD copy of Ten now) I dont know. That would solve everything.

[edit] Should add that I am in Sydney. There may be some wierd variations across the country.

Edited by Jazza, 19 April 2012 - 00:09.

#285 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:06

That's how it is now but. One SD became Eleven, while one HD stayed on channel 1 And 12. Hence why the channel Ten coverage of F1 is an upgrade for all those who can't get HD. Many people have not been able to get One since they turned the SD channel into Eleven.

Then why don't they just show it on Ten AND One? Like they used it, they used to show it delayed on Ten. Why take it completely off One for netball? I wouldn't care if it was shown on both but why one and not the other when nothing is preventing it from being shown on One other than replays of Netball? Who even watches Netball!

#286 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:07

Well maybe its just a big clusterf*ck around the country then cause in Brissy it definitely was ELEVEN on #12

EDIT: Plus youre missing Eleven from the 'old' way

Edited by Brother Fox, 19 April 2012 - 00:08.

#287 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:08

I don't think so.

One = 1
Ten = 10
Eleven = 11
One =12

The ols way was

One HD = 1
Ten = 10
One SD = 11
One HD =12

There seems to be two One HD channels. Why they can't make 12 into Ten HD (just a HD copy of Ten now) I dont know. That would solve everything.

It makes too much sense that's why. Its a funny thing isn't it, common sense REALLY isn't that common. They would hire someone with a degree and no common sense, over someone without a degree and more common sense, all because a bit of paper says I went to university.

#288 Jazza

Jazza

• 992 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:11

Well maybe its just a big clusterf*ck around the country then cause in Brissy it definitely was ELEVEN on #12

EDIT: Plus youre missing Eleven from the 'old' way

Thats because Eleven didnt exist in the old way :) One SD became Eleven. There is no SD for One anymore (at least not in Sydney)

#289 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,319 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:16

Huh? How old are we talking?

When Eleven came on board last year (?) it was not on #11 cause that was the ONE SD mirror, what I called the 'old' way.

OLD
#1 ONE HD
#10 Ten SD
#11 ONE SD
#12 Eleven SD (?)

#290 Jazza

Jazza

• 992 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 00:27

Huh? How old are we talking?

When Eleven came on board last year (?) it was not on #11 cause that was the ONE SD mirror, what I called the 'old' way.

OLD
#1 ONE HD
#10 Ten SD
#11 ONE SD
#12 Eleven SD (?)

I think this must be a state issue. In Sydney One SD became Eleven, while we always had (for who knows what reason) two channels of One HD. One SD and Eleven never coexisted is Sydney. At the moment in Syndey it is;
#1 One (HD)
#10 Ten (SD)
#11 Eleven (SD)
#12 One (also in HD)

#291 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 292 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:21

The way I see it it's all

IFish, I can drive an oil rig, The Rusty Beattie and Craig show, etc
MyDietSucks, I think I'm a teenage cool, Your intelligence is worse than mine, I get blown up weekly, I can make puddles in the Kitchen
HogansHeroes, I dream of Jeanie, Mash,
Happy, Days, The Loveboat, etc

I'm confused

mymemoryfails

#292 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 167 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:03

10 are disgusting.

BSkyB would do pretty well if they sold their coverage in HD to Australia. I reckon just about every single real F1 fan would get it as a single channel if it wasn't too much.

I already use a stream for P1, P2, P3, all race and qualy build up, all race and qualy ad breaks.

Literally the only thing I watch ONE for is the periods during the race/qualy when they have gone to the Sky commentators anyway.

I'll probably just stay 100% with the stream now.

#293 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,164 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:32

you can't subscribe to a single channel on foxtel, or with any cable provider AFAIK

#294 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,551 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:36

i think setanta is the exception on foxtel.

#295 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:45

10 are disgusting.

BSkyB would do pretty well if they sold their coverage in HD to Australia. I reckon just about every single real F1 fan would get it as a single channel if it wasn't too much.

I already use a stream for P1, P2, P3, all race and qualy build up, all race and qualy ad breaks.

Literally the only thing I watch ONE for is the periods during the race/qualy when they have gone to the Sky commentators anyway.

I'll probably just stay 100% with the stream now.

I'm the same.

#296 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,876 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:16

Ok so in summary;

Quali is live on ONE on Saturday.

The Race is DELAYED on TEN on Sunday.

Not good at all.

#297 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:24

Ok so in summary;

Quali is live on ONE on Saturday.

The Race is DELAYED on TEN on Sunday.

Not good at all.

Race is LIVE on the gold coast...coverage at 9.30pm local time.

#298 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 100 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:27

I've just been reading through this thread and what a bunch of whining people we have become in Australia whinge whinge whinge about the smallest things!
For me I don't give a shit that it will be shown sd who cater l cares it ain't the end of the world!

I'm just thankful in this day and age we foot play a cent to watch or beloved f1
All the guys who currently have foxtel calling for it to be on that channel is selfish and silly

The race it's still live and that's all I care about
In all honesty I never see any difference in watching f1 hd or sd it does not matter

#299 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:44

I've just been reading through this thread and what a bunch of whining people we have become in Australia whinge whinge whinge about the smallest things!
For me I don't give a shit that it will be shown sd who cater l cares it ain't the end of the world!

I'm just thankful in this day and age we foot play a cent to watch or beloved f1
All the guys who currently have foxtel calling for it to be on that channel is selfish and silly

In all honesty I never see any difference in watching f1 hd or sd it does not matter

I think you need your eyes checked if you can't tell the difference! Selfish or not, if it means I get to see better coverage of F1, i dont care.

Advertisement

#300 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 370 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:30

Totally agree with you dude.

I don't care if it is HD or SD, it has sound and not fuzzy in visual, I'm good and it has to be live.