Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
861 replies to this topic

#301 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:39

Totally agree with you dude.

I don't care if it is HD or SD, it has sound and not fuzzy in visual, I'm good and it has to be live.

Well according to Gerry it isn't live, and I believe he is in Melbourne?

Advertisement

#302 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:49

Well according to Gerry it isn't live, and I believe he is in Melbourne?

If so it will be live. The race starts at 10pm EST, and coverage across the eastern states starts at 9:30pm. I assume that the rest of the country will be delayed though.

#303 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 451 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:06

I've just been reading through this thread and what a bunch of whining people we have become in Australia whinge whinge whinge about the smallest things!
For me I don't give a shit that it will be shown sd who cater l cares it ain't the end of the world!

I'm just thankful in this day and age we foot play a cent to watch or beloved f1
All the guys who currently have foxtel calling for it to be on that channel is selfish and silly

The race it's still live and that's all I care about
In all honesty I never see any difference in watching f1 hd or sd it does not matter

how is calling for it to be on paytv selfish? i pay for it so i want it on there, simple as mate. Not my problem if you or anyone else couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for it if it did happen next year. Do you complain that you can't see movies for free and have to pay for them? we dont live in a free world, you get what you pay for.

Also if you cant tell the difference between SD and HD go get your eyes checked, you will be glad you did.

#304 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,432 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:12

besides which, this isn't whingeing - we're debating what the best possible coverage could be, and doing a pretty good job i think.

the old australia where people copped it sweet (and whinged about other people whingeing, ironically enough) is dying and good riddance to it.

#305 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:20

If so it will be live. The race starts at 10pm EST, and coverage across the eastern states starts at 9:30pm. I assume that the rest of the country will be delayed though.

Im not Canadian but...eh? Its 9.30pm on the Gold Coast when coverage starts, but according to Gerry (in Melbourne) he isn't getting it live? I know SA and WA don't get it live, but I thought Bris/GC/Syd/Melb all got it live?

#306 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:27

Im not Canadian but...eh? Its 9.30pm on the Gold Coast when coverage starts, but according to Gerry (in Melbourne) he isn't getting it live? I know SA and WA don't get it live, but I thought Bris/GC/Syd/Melb all got it live?

I don't get the Canadian comment sorry? :confused:

Anyway as I said, it is live in Melbourne. Coverage starts at 9:30pm across the country, and a live race will be 10pm EST. Melbourne is EST.

#307 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:29

no ONEHD & delayed?

my lord

#308 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:34

I don't get the Canadian comment sorry? :confused:

Anyway as I said, it is live in Melbourne. Coverage starts at 9:30pm across the country, and a live race will be 10pm EST. Melbourne is EST.

eh? dont worry haha...Gerry must have been mistaken about Melbourne.

#309 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 224 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:24

I rarely make complaints to companies but Channel 10's decision on this one has made me furious. For those in the Eastern States, don't get too comfortable with your live coverage. I wouldn't be suprised if this is the first step and by half way through the year you too will have delayed races. Crazy.

#310 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,373 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:34

how is calling for it to be on paytv selfish? i pay for it so i want it on there, simple as mate. Not my problem if you or anyone else couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for it if it did happen next year. Do you complain that you can't see movies for free and have to pay for them? we dont live in a free world, you get what you pay for.

Also if you cant tell the difference between SD and HD go get your eyes checked, you will be glad you did.

While lbennie might think otherwise (joke) I dont hate foxtel, but Im beginning to get a real dislike for Foxtel subscribers.
The attitude of suck shit if you cant afford it is pathetic. As we established way back, were talking about a thousand bucks a year minimum and thats a big chunk of money for a lot of people and you would think someone who enjoys the sport would be somewhat sympathetic to another fan who may not be able to find that money - id imagine for students, apprentices, single income families etc that is way out of reach.

I'll help you understand why its selfish, you already have it, you've found the money, and as I explained earlier you get new content for no extra outlay - effectively free. To call for it on Foxtel with a damn everyone else who cant afford it attitude is selfish.
The movie part is not even worth giving attention to.

As for HD being noticeable, Im curious to know what size tv people are using to make their comments? Mine in 32", and there is no discernible difference. Maybe its clear as day on a 50" ????

Edited by Brother Fox, 19 April 2012 - 11:36.

#311 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,881 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:35

Sorry guys I looked on Autosport earlier today and I swear they had the race on at our time at "21.00" - they must have just changed it. All good it will be live.

#312 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:00

While lbennie might think otherwise (joke) I dont hate foxtel, but Im beginning to get a real dislike for Foxtel subscribers.
The attitude of suck shit if you cant afford it is pathetic. As we established way back, were talking about a thousand bucks a year minimum and thats a big chunk of money for a lot of people and you would think someone who enjoys the sport would be somewhat sympathetic to another fan who may not be able to find that money - id imagine for students, apprentices, single income families etc that is way out of reach.

I'll help you understand why its selfish, you already have it, you've found the money, and as I explained earlier you get new content for no extra outlay - effectively free. To call for it on Foxtel with a damn everyone else who cant afford it attitude is selfish.

As for HD being noticeable, Im curious to know what size tv people are using to make their comments? Mine in 32", and there is no discernible difference. Maybe its clear as day on a 50" ????

I have a 60" on the wall in my room, and my room is by no means big, the difference is astonishing, put it this way, standing infront of your fish tank, and put your tv behind it (yes i exaggerated a little)

#313 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:01

The difference between a hd youtube video and a 360p video, ones clear one is grainy and 'cloudy'

#314 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:42

Sorry guys I looked on Autosport earlier today and I swear they had the race on at our time at "21.00" - they must have just changed it. All good it will be live.

Yeah it wasn't your fault. It was 21:00 when I looked yesterday.

#315 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:45

http://boycotttensport.com/

Tried to put a bit of thought into that and cover most of the issues, please let me know what you think and if you agree with the sentiments, please share like crazy.

I attempted to explain why HD is an issue and not just for tech heads, as well as why viewers should have a say in how major sporting events are broadcast (given the protection and subsidies afforded to keep the FTA networks afloat).

Cheers,
Dan

#316 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:00

I just signed the petition, hopefully more will sign this! Maybe make a facebook page to get the ball rolling, only 27 sigs so far, we need thousands to even get a look in.

#317 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:02

I have a HD 50 plasma tv and seriously I do not notice any difference what so ever. the sport is fast paced so seeing things in detail is pretty damn hard

#318 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:06

http://boycotttensport.com/ go here and look at an 'example' of what sort of a difference will be noticed. And the fact its fast paced makes it even worse. Motion blur in SD is unbearable.

#319 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:09

I just signed the petition, hopefully more will sign this! Maybe make a facebook page to get the ball rolling, only 27 sigs so far, we need thousands to even get a look in.

Yeah, talking to a guy running a similarly names facebook page now, hoping they'll use it as their page, if not I'll make one.

Advertisement

#320 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:11

I think you need your eyes checked if you can't tell the difference! Selfish or not, if it means I get to see better coverage of F1, i dont care.

I just had my eyes checked 100% in good working order ...

sd OR HD we have never had it so good .. HD or SD the picture is perfect clear crisp . since your the expert can you please tell us dummies what exactly is the differnce that the human eye can differentiate ?

you know what alot of people care and alot of us are not willing to pay why should we when its free for Gods sake what is wrong with you people ? or is it some sort of justification to make yourself feel good oh wow looks Im watching it in HD ! :rotfl:

#321 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:11

I just put it on twitter, dont know how twitter works as i dont use it, but i hashtagged F1, Bahrain, and Australia hoping it will get some views? most of the people that complained on that facebook page havent been back, they just wrote the comment and bailed so i went and spammed the hell out of everything on the ten sport facebook page hoping people will see it and click it, lots of people that are unhappy, even netball fans :/, anyone better with twitter that might do what i tried but more effectively?

#322 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:15

I have a HD 50 plasma tv and seriously I do not notice any difference what so ever. the sport is fast paced so seeing things in detail is pretty damn hard

I find it's a huge difference, both on my 1080p computer monitor and housemates 720p projector. It's nearly four times the amount of pixels.

Edited by zztopless1, 19 April 2012 - 13:15.

#323 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:20

itsvery selfish as youve invested in that for what ever reason and for you it would make no difference but for the majority its a massive difference to get Foxtel just to watch F1 !

and it aint our problem if you want to feel good that you waste your money on such things !

and what has movies got to do with this debate about the only TV I wtach is my sport and a few side shows I got better things to do than waste my life in front of a foxtel box

I suppose since you say we dont live in a free world you must be a labor supportor that is taxing the air we breathe ! your right on that count nothing is for free but while it is Ill enjoy it unlike you who whants it on foxtel so you can justify satisfy the stupid amount of money you pay for it..

#324 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:21

Yeah, talking to a guy running a similarly names facebook page now, hoping they'll use it as their page, if not I'll make one.

#325 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:42

You're grossly unqualified to judge what is or isn't HD/SD, because on the previous page by your own admission you admitted to not being able to tell the difference between SD and HD? But go ahead and whinge that technology is better for the 'worse'. I think you waste more time trying to belittle other posters than they do on matters that are trying to help the rest of the viewing public. I think you also fall foul to the 'whinge' line you said earlier, because since being in this thread you have done nothing but whinge about others, so who's the whinger here?

When DVD came out, it made VHS look horrible, when Bluray came out it made DVD look horrible. If HD wasn't 'that' much better than SD no one would bother with HD Tv's or HD broadcasting, do you think its a coincidence that millions of people the world over, demanded FOM start broadcasting F1 in HD? Or were they simply 'whinging' about nothing because it makes no difference? You're impossible and you aren't willing to see anyone's side but your own and quite frankly you have brought nothing to this discussion so I don't see why you are still coming in here. You don't care, we do, end of discussion.

Im not battling anyone you must play too many ps3 games..

when Im giving my opinion on SD or HD its only valid for F1 coverage not talking about movies or any other medium that you can truly appreciate HD. since we are talking about F1 a sport that is fast noticing these things does not do much in the grand scheme of things ! if you are having a dummy spit because its not in HD then no point banging on about it is there.

its free and since its free on channel Ten I dont give two flying kangaroos .. as long as f1 is on thats all I care about thats the point you are missing . if they show it in HD great but if they dont no big loss so much so that you troll facebook twitter and create stupid web pages throwing all your toys out of the cot !

#326 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:45

http://boycotttensport.com/

Tried to put a bit of thought into that and cover most of the issues, please let me know what you think and if you agree with the sentiments, please share like crazy.

I attempted to explain why HD is an issue and not just for tech heads, as well as why viewers should have a say in how major sporting events are broadcast (given the protection and subsidies afforded to keep the FTA networks afloat).

Cheers,
Dan

signed :up:

#327 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:47

when Im giving my opinion on SD or HD its only valid for F1 coverage not talking about movies or any other medium that you can truly appreciate HD. since we are talking about F1 a sport that is fast noticing these things does not do much in the grand scheme of things ! if you are having a dummy spit because its not in HD then no point banging on about it is there.

what a ridiculous thing to say. HD is even better in those situations.

edit: here is an actual screen capture for comparison

Posted Image

Edited by lbennie, 19 April 2012 - 13:49.

#328 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 13:49

its free and since its free on channel Ten I dont give two flying kangaroos .. as long as f1 is on thats all I care about thats the point you are missing . if they show it in HD great but if they dont no big loss so much so that you troll facebook twitter and create stupid web pages throwing all your toys out of the cot !

It is not just about SD vs HD. What about the People in SA and WA? Do you know whats worse than not getting Live coverage? Its getting Live Coverage for 2 years and then for no reason having it taken away from you. And this whole argument is about Channel 10's incompetence in showing Formula 1 the way it should be, and not living up to their promise, All rounds LIVE on One and in HD. That lasted 3 races, so its okay for a tv network to blatantly lie to the people who make them money? I don't think so and a lot of others don't think so either.

So movies are different to live sport? Do you know what motion blur is? Do you know when motion blur is at its worst? Fast moving objects...add that together with SD and you have a grainy out of focus blur on your screen. If you can't truly appreciate live Formula 1 in stunning HD but you can a movie then I don't know what to tell you because to me you're saying what you like to suit your agenda and your agenda is to come into this thread and tell us we're all a bunch of whingers. We aren't puppets but that is how Channel 10 treats its viewers and that isn't just F1, go have a look at the forums, the facebook pages, and see just how many Australians are fed up.

#329 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:20

what a ridiculous thing to say. HD is even better in those situations.

edit: here is an actual screen capture for comparison

Posted Image

wow look at the difference its mind boggling ! so whats with the rainbow colours on his suit jacket ? is that thrown in for special effect ? as when average person watches nightly news we never get the rainbow effect ! :p

#330 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 27,079 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:27

I dunno how anyone cannot tell the difference, SD is absolute CRAP on a biggish TV, there's no comparison.

#331 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,013 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:38

Side by side comparison of HD and SD make it vary obvious. Same as flipping through the channels when you go from SBS1 to SBSHD, the same show looks very different.

However in the real world you get used to it. If your watching SD for a while (and the majority of TV shows are in SD) it not as if you sit there the whole time going, "Gosh this is crap I cant make it out". Its only when you flip from HD to SD does it stand out.

I find it hard to believe that those complaining about SD only watch HD content. No DVD's, no SD channels. Not even low resolution shows on HD channels. Nothing but Bluray and 720+ all day every day...

Edited by Jazza, 19 April 2012 - 15:23.

#332 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 14:42

Side by side comparison of HD and SD make it various obvious. Same as flipping through the channels when you go from SBS1 to SBSHD, the same show looks very different.

However in the real world you get used to it. If your watching SD for a while (and the majority of TV shows are in SD) it not as if you sit there the whole time going, "Gosh this is crap I cant make it out". Its only when you flip from HD to SD does it stand out.

I find it hard to believe that those complaining about SD only watch HD content. No DVD's, no SD channels. Not even low resolution shows on HD channels. Nothing but Bluray and 720+ all day every day...

exactly what I mean ! cheers :clap:

#333 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,514 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:15

i don't care about Australia fta tv because the stations are farked, but I really notice the BBC HD picture compared to non HD

#334 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,256 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 15:40

Posts removed, focus on the posts, not the posters.

#335 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:47

I dunno how anyone cannot tell the difference, SD is absolute CRAP on a biggish TV, there's no comparison.

Or maybe, just maybe, people don't care about having a HD picture. I take enjoyment out of what the image shows, not the quality of it.

#336 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,373 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 22:53

I think its got to be down to the size ..... more inches gets you better quality .... what, what are you sniggering at?

#337 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:15

I think its got to be down to the size ..... more inches gets you better quality .... what, what are you sniggering at?

Best thing you've said all thread mate, quality :lol: But thats a given, watch a youtube video in a window and its okay, take it full screen and it brings the wows

#338 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 5,373 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:16

Or maybe, just maybe, people don't care about having a HD picture. I take enjoyment out of what the image shows, not the quality of it.

Theres a revolutionary idea, but it wont take on. The suecess of Avatar proves people care more about definition and 'flash' than the actual content.

Perhaps those noticing the big difference are simply sitting too close? If the general rule is to sit about 2.5 times the size of the tv awway from it, so on a 60" you should be 150" away (or 12+ feet, or 4+ metres)
Can you park a car in between your chair and the telly?

Also, is that pic on the boycott page real? Seriously?
It looks so fake that the site instantly looks like a ill thought out rage page and undermines whatever is written underneath.

#339 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:19

if anyone is following mark webber on twitter, maybe ask him to retweet someone about the change, also Dan Riccardo being from WA he might be of help if the WA audiences are on delay now (don't know if he is on twitter)

I'm guessing that the best time to get them to retweet would be next week after the bahrain GP

ideal situation would be them to boycott any 10 interviews during the course of the GP weekend!

Advertisement

#340 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:30

Theres a revolutionary idea, but it wont take on. The suecess of Avatar proves people care more about definition and 'flash' than the actual content.

Perhaps those noticing the big difference are simply sitting too close? If the general rule is to sit about 2.5 times the size of the tv awway from it, so on a 60" you should be 150" away (or 12+ feet, or 4+ metres)
Can you park a car in between your chair and the telly?

Also, is that pic on the boycott page real? Seriously?
It looks so fake that the site instantly looks like a ill thought out rage page and undermines whatever is written underneath.

2.8 meters from screen to eye...like i said, my room isnt very big haha, it takes up the majority of my wall but it isnt too big for the room, its perfect.

#341 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:31

wow look at the difference its mind boggling ! so whats with the rainbow colours on his suit jacket ? is that thrown in for special effect ? as when average person watches nightly news we never get the rainbow effect ! :p

well the average person needs their eyes checked then mate. because that is an actual screen capture :lol:

people saying they can't see the difference sounds an awful lot like people back in the early 90s saying no one can hear the difference between cassette and CD.

hd is a higher resolution, its not bloody magic, its actually using more pixels to produce the image. if your eyes can't pick that up - that is your problem, not everyone else's.

Edited by lbennie, 19 April 2012 - 23:33.

#342 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:34

if anyone is following mark webber on twitter, maybe ask him to retweet someone about the change, also Dan Riccardo being from WA he might be of help if the WA audiences are on delay now (don't know if he is on twitter)

I'm guessing that the best time to get them to retweet would be next week after the bahrain GP

ideal situation would be them to boycott any 10 interviews during the course of the GP weekend!

Yeah RIGHT!

#343 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:36

well the average person needs their eyes checked then mate. because that is an actual screen capture :lol:

people saying they can't see the difference sounds an awful lot like people back in the early 90s saying no one can hear the difference between cassette and CD.

hd is a higher resolution, its not bloody magic, its actually using more pixels to produce the image. if your eyes can't pick that up - that is your problem, not everyone else's.

Forget it, he doesn't care he is just here for a laugh now

#344 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:39

alright then, lets bring it back on subject.

Ten/ONE = garbage :p

#345 clipper

clipper

• 819 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:48

Yeah RIGHT!

Its still a bit early in the morning, can't tell if that is sarcasm or not! lol

#346 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:57

Its still a bit early in the morning, can't tell if that is sarcasm or not! lol

I think pissing off the only channel that gives them exposure in their home country would be a big no no for them mate.

#347 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,432 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:01

The attitude of suck shit if you cant afford it is pathetic.

isn't lbennie the only one really saying that? i've repeated my position too many times already but it's more about the commercial realities that govern these decisions rather than the morality of them.

anyway, i was thinking last night - nine are rumoured to be interested in regaining F1, if they do so after 2015 and my prophecy comes to pass then they'll probably do a sharing deal with foxtel where cable gets all races live and uninterrupted while nine does delayed and interrupted coverage on the main channel like they used to. if the oz GP is still in place, they'll cover that live on both as per ten/one.

#348 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:13

i never said suck sh*t to those who can't afford it.
it's just you get what you pay for. and many people wish to pay for a better quality product (that is available just about everywhere else on this planet.)
yet we're made out like we're snobs or something.

#349 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,013 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:27

This seems to be becoming the straw man argument of this thread. Many people have acknowledged that there is a big difference between SD and HD, just that it is not a deal breaker. In the last decade there have been 4 advances in TV/F1 display that has benefited the viewer.
1) Digital transmission. No more snowy and distorted analog signals. Now it is clear as day, DVD quality images.
2) Wide screen. So we now see more of the track around the cars.
3) Large TV's. We can now all sit back on the couch and see everything clearly without having to wonder if that dot in the background is a glitch in the transmission or a car flying off.
and the 4th one is HD. Out of the 4, if I had to lose one, I can live without HD. It does not make the race that much better.

I find it interesting though that those complaining the most about SD are those with Foxtel. However, the majority of channels on Foxtel are in SD.

Firstly, if SD is so bad, what the hell do you guys do with all those horrible SD channels? Just pay for them and not watch them?

Secondly, Foxtel's SD is stretching the term. SD on Foxtel is arguably Low Definition. Some channels look like old youtube videos, and the FTA channels look a lot better through an antenna than through the Foxtel box. I therefore wonder if that is the issue going on here in this thread. Perhaps the ones with Foxtel think that those of us who watch FTA through an antenna are getting the same crappy image that they are getting through Foxtel, hence the several pages of argument.

#350 lbennie

lbennie

• 2,230 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:30

Firstly, if SD is so bad, what the hell do you guys do with all those horrible SD channels? Just pay for them and not watch them?

absolutely, ive got my sub for the sports only. i don't really watch tv other than that. I'm definitely not the only one in this boat either.
i can see where you're coming from with the rest though.