* * * * - 3 votes

Australian Channel 10/ ONE HD Coverage [merged]

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#351 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:43

This seems to be becoming the straw man argument of this thread. Many people have acknowledged that there is a big difference between SD and HD, just that it is not a deal breaker. In the last decade there have been 4 advances in TV/F1 display that has benefited the viewer.
1) Digital transmission. No more snowy and distorted analog signals. Now it is clear as day, DVD quality images.
2) Wide screen. So we now see more of the track around the cars.
3) Large TV's. We can now all sit back on the couch and see everything clearly without having to wonder if that dot in the background is a glitch in the transmission or a car flying off.
and the 4th one is HD. Out of the 4, if I had to lose one, I can live without HD. It does not make the race that much better.

I find it interesting though that those complaining the most about SD are those with Foxtel. However, the majority of channels on Foxtel are in SD.

Firstly, if SD is so bad, what the hell do you guys do with all those horrible SD channels? Just pay for them and not watch them?

Secondly, Foxtel's SD is stretching the term. SD on Foxtel is arguably Low Definition. Some channels look like old youtube videos, and the FTA channels look a lot better through an antenna than through the Foxtel box. I therefore wonder if that is the issue going on here in this thread. Perhaps the ones with Foxtel think that those of us who watch FTA through an antenna are getting the same crappy image that they are getting through Foxtel, hence the several pages of argument.

We have the platinum package at home as its bundled with the Bigpond and the Telsta home phone, I however only really watch Speed channel, Fox Footy, Movies and NatGeo channels, all in HD, i do not watch any SD channels on Foxtel.

Advertisement

#352 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:55

isn't lbennie the only one really saying that? i've repeated my position too many times already but it's more about the commercial realities that govern these decisions rather than the morality of them.

anyway, i was thinking last night - nine are rumoured to be interested in regaining F1, if they do so after 2015 and my prophecy comes to pass then they'll probably do a sharing deal with foxtel where cable gets all races live and uninterrupted while nine does delayed and interrupted coverage on the main channel like they used to. if the oz GP is still in place, they'll cover that live on both as per ten/one.

It came from Sardukar's comment that its not his problem if people cant afford it. A very arrogant attitude to say the least. No one is saying he shouldnt be able to have it, but some acknowledgement that its not a choice for many would be nice.
Interesting about the Nine rumour, could also be driving the programming change - any manner of ways i guess but just an idea?? Uninterupted on fox with interrupted on nine, both live, would be perfect as far as i see it. Gives people the choice about who pays for it - you, or Shannons/Mercedes

Secondly, Foxtel's SD is stretching the term. SD on Foxtel is arguably Low Definition. Some channels look like old youtube videos, and the FTA channels look a lot better through an antenna than through the Foxtel box. I therefore wonder if that is the issue going on here in this thread. Perhaps the ones with Foxtel think that those of us who watch FTA through an antenna are getting the same crappy image that they are getting through Foxtel, hence the several pages of argument.

Without knowing anything about the quality on both that does sound plausible. Either deliberate or not, maybe the FTA quality is compromised by being retransmitted by foxtel?

#353 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:11

And now that I think about it, the only NON hd/blu ray things I watch, are youtube videos, and A Current Affair, and I don't watch that its just usually on the same time we have dinner. So yes, I in fact DO only watch HD broadcasts/blurays etc maybe rare but after seeing HD on such a perfect TV I can't go back to SD its horrid.

#354 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:30

And now that I think about it, the only NON hd/blu ray things I watch, are youtube videos, and A Current Affair, and I don't watch that its just usually on the same time we have dinner. So yes, I in fact DO only watch HD broadcasts/blurays etc maybe rare but after seeing HD on such a perfect TV I can't go back to SD its horrid.

this

maybe we are image quality snobs :lol:

#355 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:13

check out this show called the simpsons, you might like it :)

Edit: that reminded me of

Edited by Brother Fox, 20 April 2012 - 03:16.

#356 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 169 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:54

http://boycotttensport.com/

177 Signatures and counting.

Edited by zztopless1, 20 April 2012 - 03:56.

#357 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:08

http://boycotttensport.com/

177 Signatures and counting.

Lovely, it was only on 80 this morning! great job!

#358 Borat

Borat

• 173 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:31

firstly I want to add, that the attitude of some of the posters who have foxtel and say "i don't give a F**** if you can't afford to watch it" is just shocking. You are all that is wrong in this world...

2nd, can anyone point me to the press release or somewhere where they have stated what they intend to do?

#359 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 169 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:31

Lovely, it was only on 80 this morning! great job!

Cheers. You were right about facebook, teaming up with http://www.facebook.com/BoycottTenF1 seems to have helped a lot.

Advertisement

#360 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,109 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:32

absolutely, ive got my sub for the sports only. i don't really watch tv other than that. I'm definitely not the only one in this boat either.
i can see where you're coming from with the rest though.

Same boat here ibennie. Only tv i watch is sport or the odd comedy. The rest is either rubbish or the MSM feeding us BS.

#361 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:13

2nd, can anyone point me to the press release or somewhere where they have stated what they intend to do?

I dont think theres been one, thats why for all we know it could be temporary. Then if it does switch back to ONE the electronic activists and facebook likers will tell the world they made the change happen.

#362 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:59

Well according to Gerry it isn't live, and I believe he is in Melbourne?

No it is live. Every tv guide I check said it is live. Rusty said it was live (AEST)

So for eastern Australia is set for a live race.

Eh if you want to whine, just watch it streaming :p

#363 clipper

clipper

• 813 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:30

http://www.speedcafe...roadcast-times/

I guess the coverage starting on One @ 9pm last year wasn't consistent then WTF???????????!!!!!!

#364 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:40

I guess the coverage starting on One @ 9pm last year wasn't consistent then WTF???????????!!!!!!

Mentions nothing about the loss of HD, very annoying. The ratings for the Aus GP were only strong because there was nothing else on that weekend. Watch the ratings plummet now 10 you idiots.

#365 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:49

We miss half an hour of previews. I don't mind :p

#366 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:54

Mentions nothing about the loss of HD, very annoying. The ratings for the Aus GP were only strong because there was nothing else on that weekend. Watch the ratings plummet now 10 you idiots.

If I were Channel 10 and the claim that the Aus GP's ratnigs were high, Id stick it on SD and tell the world to go f*ck itself too. If the ONE SD mirror channel disappeared a while ago (i didnt realise) no one without a HD STB has seen F1 in however long.
They bung it on the SD main #10 channel and it rates its pants off ...... its a simple decision.

Whinge all we want on here but if it rates better then you'll get more advertisers and a better price out of them. Matters nought if theyre new casual viewers or exiting fans.

#367 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:56

Its amusing that in that press release they think that showing it on delay and on the old TEN station somehow will lead to more viewers.Quote-“This allows all Australians to access the Formula One coverage in a consistent time slot every Sunday night.” How ****ing patranising.Sounds like 1950's thinking.Not sure if Ten has heard of the internet yet.
In an age when sport is all about being immediate and live this makes no sense.And they should be criticised and made to either show it live and in HD if its available or lose it.

#368 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:58

I don't know. If it was the 50's, it wouldn't be colour.

Hey maybe they will skimp on the ANZ netball. They have done that before :p

#369 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:00

If I were Channel 10 and the claim that the Aus GP's ratnigs were high, Id stick it on SD and tell the world to go f*ck itself too. If the ONE SD mirror channel disappeared a while ago (i didnt realise) no one without a HD STB has seen F1 in however long.
They bung it on the SD main #10 channel and it rates its pants off ...... its a simple decision.

Whinge all we want on here but if it rates better then you'll get more advertisers and a better price out of them. Matters nought if theyre new casual viewers or exiting fans.

you sound like you work for them mate.

I don't give a rats about their profit margin. I just want my F1 in the best quality possible.

this rating chasing is exactly why it should be taken away from FTA

#370 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:04

No I just understand what a commercial television channel means

#371 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:04

Ratings are what everything TV is about.Fox and Free to air.Rupert aint touching it unless it rates.And it rating is debatable.

#372 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:06

I don't know. If it was the 50's, it wouldn't be colour.

Hey maybe they will skimp on the ANZ netball. They have done that before :p

Well the Mclaren and the Mercedes are grey already.No one will know the difference. B&W it is!Brilliant!

Edited by wiligates, 20 April 2012 - 07:07.

#373 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:47

For the rest of the 2012 F1 and MotoGP seasons, all races will be commence broadcasting in each state market at 9.30pm on Ten’s primary channe

What exactly does this mean?

What about Canada in June? and then the flyaway races towards the end of the season? Are they saying they will be shown on Sunday nights at 9.30pm and not live?

Even Brazil and Texas? Will we get to see them before they actually happen?

And this obviously means that here in Brisbane, when NSW go to summer time, will be stuck with delayed racing once again. It is almost as is the last two years never happened.

I personally can't wait for Ch10 to lose the rights to F1. I use a stream for the ad breaks as it is, I am just gonna watch that for the whole race from now on.

#374 youngy

youngy

• 249 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:48

Downgraded broadcast quality --- Delayed telecast (Non-Live) in some states --- and they wonder why people turn to pirate solutions for sports / entertainment etc.

#375 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:50

What exactly does this mean?

What about Canada in June? and then the flyaway races towards the end of the season? Are they saying they will be shown on Sunday nights at 9.30pm and not live?

Even Brazil and Texas? Will we get to see them before they actually happen?

And this obviously means that here in Brisbane, when NSW go to summer time, will be stuck with delayed racing once again. It is almost as is the last two years never happened.

I personally can't wait for Ch10 to lose the rights to F1. I use a stream for the ad breaks as it is, I am just gonna watch that for the whole race from now on.

To be fair F1 will be finished by then :p

Umm it will be just for the European races from my understanding. Canada will be ONE HD (Time), USA (Ditto), Asian rounds (Ditto) and Brazil (Ditto)

So yeah up to Canada and US then finish it off up to Monza and then I think it is ONE HD again.

PEOPLE: Please it is just Half an hour of previews you'll be missing out on. :p It will start normal time for the race cause it is live (AEST :D)

Edited by Wheels23, 20 April 2012 - 07:51.

#376 SuperSoft

SuperSoft

• 348 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:55

To be fair F1 will be finished by then :p

Are you meaning daylight saving time?

No, the last 6 races of the season are gonna be run during daylight saving season.

But I guess, as long as they are back on 1HD by then then they will be live everywhere, though that quote did not appear to suggest that.

It makes no sense at all though, really it makes no sense. Just leave it on 1HD for God's sake. Mental.

#377 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:59

Eh.

As long as the cricket never gets touched, I'll be happy. :p

I need more summer fix of cricket.

#378 zztopless1

zztopless1

• 169 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:32

No I just understand what a commercial television channel means

As I wrote on boycotttensort.com:

One argument that has been to popping up as this issue has gained momentum, in an attempt to give a ‘balanced perspective’ by the few professional journalists that have covered this, is the fact that Ten is a business and thus entitled to do as it pleases with broadcast rights it has paid a lot of money for (F1 rights don’t come cheap).

Yes Channel Ten is a business, BUT the free to air networks in this country only exist in their current state thanks to significant government subsidies (huge discounts on TV licence fees), and more importantly – laws that protect them from the same type of international competition most industries now face. I’m sure the manufacturing sector would love to have the same type of protection from cheaper and more efficient international competitors as our free to air networks enjoy.

#379 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,826 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:56

I'd hazard a guess that the people sticking up for TEN have not experienced F1 coverage in other countries. After living in the UK - and seeing what is possible, it really makes the coverage over here look like a joke.

Advertisement

#380 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,252 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:56

the government subsidises the TV networks? a party can only be receiving a discount if somebody else is paying full price - it's a relative term.

Interesting about the Nine rumour, could also be driving the programming change - any manner of ways i guess but just an idea?? Uninterupted on fox with interrupted on nine, both live, would be perfect as far as i see it. Gives people the choice about who pays for it - you, or Shannons/Mercedes

you didn't fully read my post. any F1 on nine would be delayed to accommodate other programming and commercial requirements. not saying it would never be live but certainly not guaranteed either. splitting the coverage would make more financial sense for both parties. telstra might be able to provide streaming to customers too, especially with the NBN coming on line by then, with their financial contribution diluting individual costs too.

the more i think about it, the more it makes sense.

#381 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:28

I'd hazard a guess that the people sticking up for TEN have not experienced F1 coverage in other countries. After living in the UK - and seeing what is possible, it really makes the coverage over here look like a joke.

I have.

I'm not that happy about it, not angrily about it either but you learn to live with it, suck it up and just enjoy and watch. For me it is that simple.

#382 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,360 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:20

It's a minor foreign sport after all, in a country where rugby is king (of late night in the "wrong" states!) and aussies rules is king too (of late night tv in the other wrong states!)? It's a market that is so fickle that half the population can barely stand to watch the "wrong" type of football, and vice versa. The Aussie V8s aren't that popular either.

Obviously F1 goes on TV whenever Mercedes-Benz and the other advertisers pay for.... For whatever reason they want it on the primary channel this season and will pay for that, who knows why.

It's on far earlier than it used to be in the anyhow, 15 seasons ago putting a minor sport on at 9.30pm on a Sunday on the single analog channel would be an utterly loss making exercise.

#383 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 20:28

Well the Mclaren and the Mercedes are grey already.No one will know the difference. B&W it is!Brilliant!

Grey? The 2010 HRT was grey. The Mercedes is Silver, and the McLaren is chrome. Neither are grey.

#384 wiligates

wiligates

• 2,785 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 22:05

Well thats 6 grey cars then.

Edited by wiligates, 20 April 2012 - 22:18.

#385 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 188 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:53

I haven't been watching the One build up to qualy because I've been watching the footy/sky stream and frankly I find them abhorrent, so can anyone tell me if they mentioned anything about the overwhelming rage against their decision?

#386 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:25

Too busy watching the Eagles :p

Nah I watched it, I mean they rightfully steered away from it.

#387 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,530 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:31

I haven't been watching the One build up to qualy because I've been watching the footy/sky stream and frankly I find them abhorrent, so can anyone tell me if they mentioned anything about the overwhelming rage against their decision?

Yeah they mentioned it about as many times as we saw the Force India's in Qualy... :p

Edited by krapmeister, 21 April 2012 - 12:32.

#388 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:33

Pfft I doubt many people cared about FI in Australia.

I didn't get to see Dan's lap. FOM is so like totally against STR :rotfl:

Edited by Wheels23, 21 April 2012 - 12:33.

#389 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 202 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:36

They did seem rather awkward when announcing that tomorrow's race would be broadcast on 10.

Edited by Adelaide, 21 April 2012 - 12:37.

#390 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,530 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:36

Pfft I doubt many people cared about FI in Australia.

I didn't get to see Dan's lap. FOM is so like totally against STR :rotfl:

No but you DID get to see him at various points in the coverage - the only time we got a glimpse of FI was when the cameras were focused on another car and they happened to be in the shot. And that only happened once that I can think of (Massa). Anyway, back OT...

#391 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40

Yeah I saw FI a few times but the timings of the laps are you know, the more important drivers fighting for pole not bloody Paul Di Resta where the Beeb swoon for :p

Anyway yeah I mean I get to see a race and a good sess for quali. Ten has done its job cause they are both live.

In short, it beats what we had 3-4 years ago.

#392 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 188 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:48

Too busy watching the Eagles :p

Nah I watched it, I mean they rightfully steered away from it.

It worked out pretty well for me.

I watched all of qualy and then at the end of the one coverage (I had sky going on the laptop) flicked back over and saw the last 30 seconds.

Thanks all for the responses.

#393 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,728 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:58

They did seem rather awkward when announcing that tomorrow's race would be broadcast on 10.

Yeah I thought that too, really looked like they wanted to say something about it but were all too aware of who signs their paycheques.

As I wrote on boycotttensort.com:

One argument that has been to popping up as this issue has gained momentum, in an attempt to give a ‘balanced perspective’ by the few professional journalists that have covered this, is the fact that Ten is a business and thus entitled to do as it pleases with broadcast rights it has paid a lot of money for (F1 rights don’t come cheap).

Yes Channel Ten is a business, BUT the free to air networks in this country only exist in their current state thanks to significant government subsidies (huge discounts on TV licence fees), and more importantly – laws that protect them from the same type of international competition most industries now face. I’m sure the manufacturing sector would love to have the same type of protection from cheaper and more efficient international competitors as our free to air networks enjoy.

I'd pull that from the website then before it gets used against you by someone who's being less delicate than I am.
I 'think' you're making reference to the anti-siphoning laws, but what has that got to do with import protectionism and the tenuous link to manufacturing?
FTA networks are afforded priority in televising events that are deemed in the national interest or some stupid concept but do they receive financial assistance?
Do you know what subsidies they are receiving? Is it some sort of tied assistance or a general subsidy? Is it a subsidy at all or are you referring to anti-siphoning legislation?
Finally, international competitors? What are you talking about? Its domestic competition. This has zero to do with protectionist policies for domestic industries like manufacturing DOES receive.

#394 Muzzyf1

Muzzyf1

• 101 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:25

other than people in WA who will not get the race Live I dont get this whinging whining ?

what we faught hard for was getting consistent live coverage coming from the channel 9 fiasco what more could I ask for ? ten have been wonderfull giving us live races , big effort to bring us more interviews and inside information, then they made it even better by Giving us live quali , and we had HD before most of the world .and you know what its all free ! some people are hard to please !
highlites
just like any business they made a decison to boost there profits ultimately they have to answer to the shareholders of the channel.
channel ten is not a charity for formula 1 fans .

whilst we would all love it to be bvroadcast on One HD lets face it we should still be gratefull we get something .

there are f1 fans in the UK right now who cannot afford to get sky subscription who have to either get online streaming or wait for highlites package !

so whilst I have free coverage I aint complaining I just wish viewers in WA got the race live too !

now gotto get popcorn ready for the race !

#395 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 380 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:34

If you stream it on ONE HD, you would get it live regardless right?

#396 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:45

Saw something interesting today, was going through Foxtel box and put on some coverage from Melbourne and a 30 second ad was shown during the coverage "Starting April 22 Formula 1 goes LIVE on 10, 9.30pm every Sunday blah blah blah"

So the ratings for the Aus GP had NOTHING to do with the switch to Ten.

#397 Bartel

Bartel

• 887 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:46

other than people in WA who will not get the race Live I dont get this whinging whining ?

what we faught hard for was getting consistent live coverage coming from the channel 9 fiasco what more could I ask for ? ten have been wonderfull giving us live races , big effort to bring us more interviews and inside information, then they made it even better by Giving us live quali , and we had HD before most of the world .and you know what its all free ! some people are hard to please !
highlites
just like any business they made a decison to boost there profits ultimately they have to answer to the shareholders of the channel.

whilst we would all love it to be bvroadcast on One HD lets face it we should still be gratefull we get something .

there are f1 fans in the UK right now who cannot afford to get sky subscription who have to either get online streaming or wait for highlites package !

so whilst I have free coverage I aint complaining I just wish viewers in WA got the race live too !

You really don't know what HD is do you :lol: we got HD the same time the rest of the world got HD....when FOM decided to broadcast it in HD! Its not up to the tv stations its all up to Bernie and what he GAVE the tv stations.

#398 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 432 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:47

highlites

sorry but im used to watching sport on paytv where its always live with no ads and in HD (for the past 4 years). So yeah im gunna complain when im forced to watch F1 in low resolution when network 10 has a perfectly good HD channel they could show it on. I grew up with F1 on channel 9, and yeah it sucked ass. But 10 is going backwards whilst technology is suppose to be going forward.

#399 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:34

9.37pm, no sign of F1 because they ALWAYS run late on the main channel

Advertisement

#400 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,530 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:40

9.37pm, no sign of F1 because they ALWAYS run late on the main channel

As long as the race starts on time at 10pm then I am happy...