Photo

Small-volume sports car makers in F1

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:39

The debut of a CATERHAM Grand Prix car brought to mind other small-volume sports car makers who have been associated with F1 teams over the years.
Most, it has to be said, seem to be more in name-only rather than in actual hands-on involvement. And few of them created much in the way of results.

I can think of Venturi (Larrrousse) and Monteverdi (Onyx) in the 90s ISO (Williams) in the 70s Matra, ATS and DeTomaso in the 60s.

There was also Bugatti in the 50s. They had been out of motor sport for many years by that point and must have been a pretty small operation, though with big ideas!

Are there any more?

We could be tempted to add Cooper, Connaught, Alta and Lotus in the 1950s, but they, like Ferrari and Maserati, all seemed to produce road cars as an afterthought to the serious business of going racing .

Advertisement

#2 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 13:03

The debut of a CATERHAM Grand Prix car brought to mind other small-volume sports car makers who have been associated with F1 teams over the years.
Most, it has to be said, seem to be more in name-only rather than in actual hands-on involvement. And few of them created much in the way of results.

I can think of Venturi (Larrrousse) and Monteverdi (Onyx) in the 90s ISO (Williams) in the 70s Matra, ATS and DeTomaso in the 60s.

There was also Bugatti in the 50s. They had been out of motor sport for many years by that point and must have been a pretty small operation, though with big ideas!

Are there any more?

We could be tempted to add Cooper, Connaught, Alta and Lotus in the 1950s, but they, like Ferrari and Maserati, all seemed to produce road cars as an afterthought to the serious business of going racing .

Simon,

slightly off topic: Eifelland, as producer of caravans??

Regards Michael

#3 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,677 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 13:35

Cisitalia could be in the list, had they actually entered the car.

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:30

The thread is not restricted to world championship F1, as far as I can see, so Cisitalia qualifies

#5 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:43

The thread is not restricted to world championship F1, as far as I can see, so Cisitalia qualifies

Spot on David. The non-points races so often gave rise to the most interesting/obscure entries!

#6 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:52

Turner ?

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:57

The other way around March sold F1 cars to customers, as did Shadow (well one to Graham Hill) so the were small volume producers, and they did build "sports" cars, if you include Can Am in that. Shall I get my coat??

Edited by f1steveuk, 19 March 2012 - 14:57.

#8 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,302 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:57

Spyker ??

PAR

#9 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:14

Are there any more?

Marussia?

If Matra counts, then why not McLaren  ;)

That said, I'm not sure what distinguishes Matra/ATS/De Tomaso from Cooper/Connaught/Alta/Lotus. Maybe you can explain the difference a bit further.

I'm not that sure about Ferrari sports cars being created as an afterthought to the serious business of racing either, but that is another story.

#10 RogerFrench

RogerFrench

• 688 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:54

Frazer Nash? Formula 2, anyway.

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:02

IIRC Darnval might count as a small volume manufacturer certainly smaller than most mentioned here and their badge/logo appeared on the nose of the #29 at the Austrian GP in 1972 :-)

Edited by arttidesco, 19 March 2012 - 16:21.

#12 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:13

Oh and I forgot Ligier who built city cars and the JS2 Sports Car :smoking:

#13 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:29

The other way around March sold F1 cars to customers, as did Shadow (well one to Graham Hill) so the were small volume producers, and they did build "sports" cars, if you include Can Am in that. Shall I get my coatS??

That list might include Lola too if I understand you correctly Steve :rolleyes:

#14 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:39

That list might include Lola too if I understand you correctly Steve :rolleyes:

Art, sometimes I don't understand me!!!

#15 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:58

The other way around March sold F1 cars to customers, as did Shadow (well one to Graham Hill) so the were small volume producers, and they did build "sports" cars, if you include Can Am in that. Shall I get my coat??

Not before you include BRM then as well :D

#16 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:02

Ginetta?

Gordini?

Edited by werks prototype, 19 March 2012 - 17:41.

#17 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:27

How about Fittipaldi - there were definitely some VW based road cars sold in Brazil.

#18 fatbaldbloke

fatbaldbloke

• 51 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:28

Aston Martin.

#19 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 17:58

Aston Martin.

Might not qaulify as small production??

Advertisement

#20 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:28

How about McLaren I undertand that they are a low production sports car maker.

#21 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 18:55

Ginetta?

A Ginetta F1 car?
That's new to me.

#22 werks prototype

werks prototype

• 7,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 19:02

A Ginetta F1 car?
That's new to me.

Well, there is a tenuous link. A proposal I think.

#23 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 22:44

Not F1, but Grand Prix - Veritas and AFM produced sports cars before making single seaters

Scarab must qualify

Did Cegga make a sports car before their unsuccessful Cegga-Maserati F1 car

Do Sauber qualify?

#24 JtP1

JtP1

• 753 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:31

Aston Martin at the time they built their F1 car, had probably built fewer cars than Caterham.

#25 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 23:35

Art, sometimes I don't understand me!!!

:smoking: :stoned: :confused: :cool:

#26 helioseism

helioseism

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 00:58

Well, in my mind, there is an Italian outfit in F1 that is a small-volume sports car maker... :lol:

#27 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:05

Connaught started with sports cars, developed from the Lea-Francis Sports. They, the L types, were of course sports-racing cars but, as was the custom of the time, were roadworthy and driven to and from the races. From memory there were six of them, and of course the Lea-Francis engine was developed almost beyond recognition into the engine for the Formula 2 A type. They later produced a couple of AL/SR sports-racers that had more in common with the A type than with the earlier sportscars.

ETA Alta and Lotus, too, started with sports cars

Edited by Allan Lupton, 20 March 2012 - 09:08.

#28 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:13

I think the key difference here is 'sports cars' for the road and 'sports-racing cars' (Connaught, Cooper etc) primarily intended for the track.

And while in some cases F1 teams had built one-off or prototype road cars the question is : Did they put them into actual production as such? The McLaren M6GT for example?

Marque by marque I'd say

Ferrari started off with sport-racing cars and single seaters. The road cars grew, almost grudgingly from what I read, out of neccesity and customer pressure
Maserati ditto
Lotus probabaly much the same - I guess the 6 was the first one not intended purely as a trials or sport-racing car?
Connaught Only really made Sports-racers, never seriously marketed as road cars
Cooper ditto
Scarab ditto
Sauber surely sports racers only prioer to F1?

On the other hand...

Alta Built pukka road cars plus racing cars
Matra ditto
Aston Martin ditto
Frazer Nash ditto
Turner ditto
Spyker ditto (in name at least)
Ligier There were road cars prior to the F1 team? An certainly subsequently.

The questionable ones would be...

ATS I think the F1 cars came first and did they do proper road cars? Or just sports-racers?
de Tomaso I think the F1 car (one/two - off?) came some years before the road cars?
Fittipaldi interesting - didn't know they'd marketed any road cars. Tell us more!
Marrussia Now to prove my ignorance, I genuinely had no idea that was even a brand of car! :lol: I thought it was just a sponsor's name!

Any more spring to mind? Or any of the above you'd take issue with (I won't be offended, this is just for fun)?

#29 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:18

Aston Martin.

Compared to Ford they will!

Well, in my mind, there is an Italian outfit in F1 that is a small-volume sports car maker... :lol:

That would be FIAT then!

Of course one has to differentiate between Road Legal sports cars and Racing Sports cars so would Porsche count?

:stoned:

#30 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:35

would Porsche count?

:stoned:

Depends on your definition of small-volume really. Porsche, like Aston, might not have been a volume maker of cars at the time (although both are now!) but they were pretty seriously established high quality makers of thoroughbred road cars before getting into F1...unlike some of the others :cool:

#31 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:01

If it is pushed to th ultimate conclusion one would have to nominate Elva via Trojan to McLaren

#32 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:06

I think the key difference here is 'sports cars' for the road and 'sports-racing cars' (Connaught, Cooper etc) primarily intended for the track.

The questionable ones would be...

de Tomaso I think the F1 car (one/two - off?) came some years before the road cars?

Any more spring to mind? Or any of the above you'd take issue with (I won't be offended, this is just for fun)?

Wow ! the 1962 de Tomaso F1 was news to me :up: the year before the Vallelguna :smoking:

I still think Darnval should be in this list they produced at least one road car and at least one sports racer, complete with Repco power around the time of their involvement with the Darnval Connew Racing Team :love:

#33 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:16

Where do Williams and Jordan fit in to this scheme of things the 3800 Clio Williams and 500 Civic Jordan's are relatively small volumes by Renault and Honda Standards ?

#34 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:52

Middlebridge...
Owners at one time of both Brabham and Middlebridge (nee Reliant) Scimitar.

I should have remembered them earlier, being a former SE5A owner myself. :wave:

#35 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 17:35

Fittipaldi interesting - didn't know they'd marketed any road cars. Tell us more!

After further delving, I think I got it wrong. The Fittiapldi brothers did build karts and some sports racers, but not apparently any road cars. I had long had half an idea that they had built some VW based kit-car type products, but I think I misunderstood the true facts. Sorry for trailing a red herring across the thread! :blush:

#36 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 19:00

After further delving, I think I got it wrong. The Fittiapldi brothers did build karts and some sports racers

and not least the fearsome Fittipaldi 3200 VW Bimotor :up:

#37 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 20:38

OSCA

#38 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:37

OSCA

Did they do normal road cars or, like Cooper and Connaught, sports-racers intended mostly for competition work?

#39 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:14

Berardo Taraschi ran(briefly) one of his 750 cc Giaur sports cars with wings removed and a supercharged added in the 1954 Formula 1 Rome GP. I gather it was singularly unimpressive, and he soon reappeared in an old V12 Ferrari variously modified over the next 3 seasons in minor Italian F1 races.

Giaur and its predecessors Giannini and Urania were small sports cars which were certainly run in road events in Italy.

Advertisement

#40 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,705 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:24

I think what was originally intended was those who made sports cars before producing GP cars. Which then led to the sub division into road cars and sports racers, which can be a bit of a grey area.

#41 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:33

That's not what the opening post says :)

#42 Tuboscocca

Tuboscocca

• 1,324 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 18:49

If it wasn't already mentioned ALPINE (France) ...made a F1 A350.

Regards Michael