Photo

Autosport Driver Ratings 2012

• Please log in to reply
1361 replies to this topic

#101 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:57

This kind of repetitive scale always has to be calibrated to some tops and bottoms. Thus 0 is maybe for not being around when the qualifying starts and -1 is eventually being found inside a motorhome with the evaluator's lady.

:rotfl: :up:

Advertisement

#102 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,170 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34

Kobayashi and Perez should have received an 8, like the Toro Rosso drivers, instead of a 7.

#103 hhg1

hhg1

• 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:06

Malaysian Grand Prix
Alonso 10
Perez 10
Senna 9
di Resta 9
Hamilton 8
Raikkonen 8
Hulkenberg 8
Vergne 8
Petrov 8
Webber 7
Maldonado 7
Karthikeyan 7
Vettel 7
Schumacher 6
Ricciardo 6
Button 6
Glock 6
Kovalainen 6
Pic 6
de la Rosa 6
Rosberg 5
Kobayashi 5
Grosjean 5
Massa 3

Season Ranking
Alonso 19
Perez 17
Button 16
Vergne 16
Hamilton 15
Vettel 15
Raikkonen 15
di Resta 15
Hulkenberg 15
Webber 14
Ricciardo 14
Schumacher 14
Maldonado 14
Senna 13
Glock 13
Pic 13
Petrov 13
Karthikeyan 13
Kovalainen 12
de la Rosa 12
Kobasyashi 12
Grosjean 12
Rosberg 10
Massa 7

#104 eoin

eoin

• 5,010 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:16

Perez- 10? He threw the race away.

Schumacher beats his team mate in qualifying and qualifies within a couple of hundreds of Button.
Button gets beaten by his team mate in qualifying.

Schumacher gets taken out.
Button hits a HRT.

Button's race pace is so bad that he gets beaten by Rosberg.
Schumacher finishes 30s up the road from Rosberg while Button finishes 65s behind Hamilton.

6 for both! :rolleyes:

#105 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:27

Schumacher a 6!?!

This is the last straw...

#106 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,534 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:29

I think Vergne deserves a 9 myself...

#107 Wander

Wander

• 2,264 posts

Don't take it too seriously.

#108 robefc

robefc

• 8,010 posts

Schumacher a 6!?!

This is the last straw...

:lol:

#109 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:32

Guys relax, they're Biritsh.... Schumacher deserves at least 2 points more than Button.

#110 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:34

Schumacher beats his team mate in qualifying and qualifies within a couple of hundreds of Button.

Button hits a HRT.

Schumacher finishes 30s up the road from Rosberg while Button finishes 65s behind Hamilton.

I agree, 6 was highly generous for Button. But this is Edd Straw.

#111 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:41

So Massa gets a 3 for being crap....ok, but at least he finished his race.

Grosjean takes out MSC und dnf´ed by his own mistake and gets a 5?

#112 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:47

I've just read the plus article on the ratings and it's not even worth the effort of pointing out everything that's wrong with it, other than to say that there's a reason I never take anything Edd Straw writes seriously.

#113 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,524 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:54

Al least he got the tens right, Webber 7, Vettel 7, :drunk:

#114 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,089 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:00

Must be something to do with the name Edd(ie) cause every ****ing numpty with that name has zero credibility!

Eddie Irvine, Eddie Jordan, Edd Straw.... Eddie the Eagle, even Edd the Duck (though he has more clue about rating drivers than the biased, incompetent, "pulls numbers out of a hat more randomly than FIFA" Edd Straw).

I suspect Mr Straw watches the top 5 or 6, gives them reasonable marks and then declines like a bored teacher who gives the same C + grade for students. He really is a sad reflection on how poor the level of journalism has become at Autosport.

#115 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:14

Button hits a HRT.

good analysis
+1

#116 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 15:29

Button hits a HRT.

:up:
And diresta 9? What did he do for epic stuff?

#117 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 15:35

Button hits a HRT.

Exactly!!! The guy is a joke! Can't agree on Grosjean either.

#118 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 15:43

AMuS to the rescue:

Fernando Alonso 10/10
Sergio Perez 9/10
Lewis Hamilton 8/10
Kimi Räikkönen 8/10
Bruno Senna 8/10
Paul di Resta 8/10
Mark Webber 7/10
Jean-Eric Vergne 7/10
Nico Hülkenberg 7/10
Michael Schumacher 7/10
Sebastian Vettel 7/10
Vitaly Petrov 6/10
Timo Glock 6/10
Daniel Ricciardo 5/10
Pastor Maldonado 5/10
Charles Pic 5/10
Pedro de la Rosa 5/10
Kamui Kobayashi 5/10
Nico Rosberg 4/10
Jenson Button 4/10
Felipe Massa 4/10
Heikki Kovalainen 4/10
Narain Karthikeyan 4/10
Romain Grosjean 3/10

Much better :up:.

#119 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 15:52

That's debatable - giving Button the same score as Massa ?? :stoned:

Sure JB stuffed up in the race, but he qualified 2nd and at least managed to overtake people on track, Massa on the other hand just did his best to try and nerf people that were passing him

Advertisement

#120 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:02

Interesting...
Vettel gets hit by a HRT and gets the same score of the teammate he was beating before that. The teammate that only outqualified by a bunch of tenths despite of having the rubber advantage.
Button makes a mistake with the HRT, is driving the best car on the field, hardly beats Massa, just one point less...
Schumacher gets his race destroyed by Grosjean, yet he outqualifies and outraces his teammate and gets only one point more than Rosberg...
Not sure what the meaning of one point in this grading scheme is... But then you look at Karthikeyan:
a) The same number of points as Vettel, even though he destroyed the German's race by something as standard (for a driver of his lack of pace) as failure to follow the "Blue Flag procedure"
b) Is outqualified and outraced by his teammate, the not-so-talented, and certainly not-fast-at-all Pedro de la Rosa, yet scores more than his teammate... I guess that crashing into German drives gives points under Ed's marking scheme...
c) Gets more than Schumacher? Really? In what way was Karthikeyan's race better than Schumacher?
Di Resta got a 9; the Hulk got an 8, yet only a Toro Rosso was splitting them. I suppose that in Ed's world beating your teammate means more points... No, scratch that, go back to De la Rosa-Karthikeyan..

Oh well, utter BS. This is the type of analysis I would expect to find at PlanetF1 for free, not for a fee at Autosport.

#121 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:19

He made the race you mean.

2nd place in shocking conditions, in a mid field car, just 2 seconds behind and faster/challenging a seasoned WDC in a Ferrari - what else could the men do to please you!

As I have said, if it had of been Hamilton (or Alonso behind Hamilton) the thread on it would be still going ballistic - go look at the Perez thread count.

Better still, the "Perez - Alonso (Team orders?)" conspiracy thread has already screamed past the "Sergio Perez" thread, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves that you can't drop in and post "good effort" etc. preferring nonsense scandal.

#122 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:21

What did Di Resta do to deserve a 9? These lists are really weird.

#123 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:24

Be Paul Di Resta.

#124 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:25

What did Di Resta do to deserve a 9?

Probably some personal services to mr. Straw. Cannot explain it otherwise.

#125 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:28

He spun in such a beautiful way :love::

Posted Image

#126 joshb

joshb

• 3,246 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:28

Surprised Seb got as high as 7. It wasn't his finest weekend, Perez was at least a 9 but that error, Alonso didn't make any.
di Resta was solid and got a good result so i can see that one. Button had a poor race and his pace even after his nose job wasn't great.
But generally I don't have too many complaints

#127 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,039 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 17:34

Well he beat Hulkenberg quite clearly this weekend, and he got an 8.

#128 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 710 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 17:41

Interesting...
Vettel gets hit by a HRT and gets the same score of the teammate he was beating before that. The teammate that only outqualified by a bunch of tenths despite of having the rubber advantage.
Button makes a mistake with the HRT, is driving the best car on the field, hardly beats Massa, just one point less...
Schumacher gets his race destroyed by Grosjean, yet he outqualifies and outraces his teammate and gets only one point more than Rosberg...
Not sure what the meaning of one point in this grading scheme is... But then you look at Karthikeyan:
a) The same number of points as Vettel, even though he destroyed the German's race by something as standard (for a driver of his lack of pace) as failure to follow the "Blue Flag procedure"

b) Is outqualified and outraced by his teammate, the not-so-talented, and certainly not-fast-at-all Pedro de la Rosa, yet scores more than his teammate... I guess that crashing into German drives gives points under Ed's marking scheme...
c) Gets more than Schumacher? Really? In what way was Karthikeyan's race better than Schumacher?
Di Resta got a 9; the Hulk got an 8, yet only a Toro Rosso was splitting them. I suppose that in Ed's world beating your teammate means more points... No, scratch that, go back to De la Rosa-Karthikeyan..

Oh well, utter BS. This is the type of analysis I would expect to find at PlanetF1 for free, not for a fee at Autosport.

I thought that they were racing for position, were they not? Anyway agree with all the other points, Grosjean was too high, as was Button and Di Resta (although we all know why they're that high) .

Edited by Schumacher7, 26 March 2012 - 17:42.

#129 Kubiccia

Kubiccia

• 1,370 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:09

Button hits a HRT.

:up:

Amus rating is much more reasonable than Straw's who is a biased british guy who hates some guys out there in the grid and love others and his rating is highly relying on the feelings he have for each driver

Edited by Kubiccia, 26 March 2012 - 19:10.

#130 Wander

Wander

• 2,264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:13

I thought that they were racing for position, were they not? Anyway agree with all the other points, Grosjean was too high, as was Button and Di Resta (although we all know why they're that high) .

Karthikeyan and Vettel were not racing for position.

#131 mymemoryfails

mymemoryfails

• 295 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 21:53

Karthikeyan and Vettel were not racing for position.

Not for position, just the same place on the race track :)

mymemoryfails

#132 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,775 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 21:56

Perez didn't throw anything away, he wasn't supposed to be there to begin with. Not to mention it seems very optimistic to take him overtaking Alonso for granted.

10/10 to both for is fine by me.

#133 Vic Vega

Vic Vega

• 192 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 00:38

I salute you mr. Straw, drivers brilliantly rated this weekend.

Mr. Kane approves.

Posted Image

Edited by Vic Vega, 13 September 2012 - 23:56.

#134 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,900 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:08

AMuS to the rescue:

Fernando Alonso 10/10
Sergio Perez 9/10
Lewis Hamilton 8/10
Kimi Räikkönen 8/10
Bruno Senna 8/10
Paul di Resta 8/10
Mark Webber 7/10
Jean-Eric Vergne 7/10
Nico Hülkenberg 7/10
Michael Schumacher 7/10
Sebastian Vettel 7/10
Vitaly Petrov 6/10
Timo Glock 6/10
Daniel Ricciardo 5/10
Pastor Maldonado 5/10
Charles Pic 5/10
Pedro de la Rosa 5/10
Kamui Kobayashi 5/10
Nico Rosberg 4/10
Jenson Button 4/10
Felipe Massa 4/10
Heikki Kovalainen 4/10
Narain Karthikeyan 4/10
Romain Grosjean 3/10

Actually AMuS wanted to award 11/10 this time to Alonso - they argued that this time his performance was beyond perfect.

I tend to agree.

No more talk of Sebastian Vettel being the best right now, by the way - interesting. Whereas Alonso remains a stable currency....

#135 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,409 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:30

Giving Hamilton 8 and Button 6 who had a nightmare race is just pathetic and biased in the extreme. Sorry Autosport, but these ratings are beyond meaningless. Get somebody less biased to do them.

#136 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:18

The more disliked here this ranking is the more credible it is. I like it.

AMUS' one is basically finishing order with points.

#137 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:25

Anyone heard the most recent Autosport podcast? Straw and chums aren't impressed by what they read in this very thread. It was funny because they actually got him to explain his rating for Paul Di Resta at Malaysia, such was the reaction on here :lol:

For the record, in the main I think his ratings are good, but he occasionally f**ks one or two up COMPLETELY and thus loses a lot of credibility with some. That's slightly harsh on him given it's a tough job, but it was his pro-Vettel crusade in every other issue of Autosport that lost him more credibility for me, culminating with him asserting that Vettel is better than Ayrton Senna was. And I don't care wtf he says about Di Resta's performances, it's been blatantly obvious that there is full on fandom at play with those ratings.

#138 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,414 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:36

Anyone heard the most recent Autosport podcast? Straw and chums aren't impressed by what they read in this very thread. It was funny because they actually got him to explain his rating for Paul Di Resta at Malaysia, such was the reaction on here :lol:

For the record, in the main I think his ratings are good, but he occasionally f**ks one or two up COMPLETELY and thus loses a lot of credibility with some. That's slightly harsh on him given it's a tough job, but it was his pro-Vettel crusade in every other issue of Autosport that lost him more credibility for me, culminating with him asserting that Vettel is better than Ayrton Senna was. And I don't care wtf he says about Di Resta's performances, it's been blatantly obvious that there is full on fandom at play with those ratings.

Hear, hear.

At least Mark Hughes, for example, tries to back up his obvious favourites with stats, observation and "feeling" all combined etc.

Edd just beats-off blindly :smoking:

Edited by maverick69, 16 April 2012 - 17:37.

#139 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,905 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 17:52

Hear, hear.

At least Mark Hughes, for example, tries to back up his obvious favourites with stats, observation and "feeling" all combined etc.

Edd just beats-off blindly :smoking:

The funny thing about Hughes is that i've seen how many fanboys hate him because he has such high praise for so many drivers - massive Schumacher, Hamilton, Kubica, Button, Vettel, Alonso aficionado - he admires them all and appreciates all their talents and respective skillsets. He's on record as saying Hamilton is the most talented, fastest driver in F1, and wrote an unofficial biography of him and yet i've seen how many Hamilton fans detest him for example, which I find amusing, as if just because he doesn't favour Hamilton in absolutely every thing is says, this makes him a hater - bonkers. Personally I think he is in a league of his own amongst the Autosport writers, none of them hold a candle to him. Glenn Freeman's good too though IMO :up:

Advertisement

#140 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:39

As a Vettel fan, even I think Straw sucks bigtime when he gave Massa 5 for what must have been the most ridiculous, underperforming weekend ever for a driver in the history of F1, especially vs his teammate at Malaysia. And then there is that Di Resta love in.

#141 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 19:59

Apparently Kimi was given an 8.

I don't know what was written but I imagine it was because he had an extremely first rate qually (no mistakes from him; maxing the E20). His race pace was good behind Button...but his stints weren't divided up correctly for a 2-stopper...and the Lotus pitstops are utterly ghastly (which, as we know, cost him track position to Hamilton and others).

It would be hard not to give Rosberg and Hamilton 10 each for their Qually-Race combo.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 16 April 2012 - 20:01.

#142 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:04

Apparently Kimi was given an 8.

I don't know what was written but I imagine it was because he had an extremely first rate qually (no mistakes from him; maxing the E20). His race pace was good behind Button...but his stints weren't divided up correctly for a 2-stopper...and the Lotus pitstops are utterly ghastly (which, as we know, cost him track position to Hamilton and others).

It would be hard not to give Rosberg and Hamilton 10 each for their Qually-Race combo.

Anyone putting Hamiltons performance equal to Rosberg must be a very blinkered fanatic fan. Even Button was way better than Lewis in the race.

#143 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:12

Anyone putting Hamiltons performance equal to Rosberg must be a very blinkered fanatic fan. Even Button was way better than Lewis in the race.

indeed

#144 Zava

Zava

• 4,966 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:18

if anyone is interested, the scores in the article are:

Vettel 7
Webber 9
Button 9
Hamilton 9
Alonso 7
Massa 6
Schumacher 6
Rosberg 10
Kimi 8
Grosjean 7
di Resta 7
Hulk 6
Kobayashi 7
Perez 6
Ricciardo 6
Vergne 6
Maldonado 8
Senna 8
Kovalainen 6
Petrov 7
de la Rosa 7
Karthikeyan 6
Glock 7
Pic 9

though I'm not sure these are the actual rankings which are cited in this topic (those, I assume, are from the print edition?) ISTR a case when I put the scores from the online article and it wasn't fully correlating with the print scores.

#145 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:21

That looks ridiculously harsh on Schumacher, doesn't it?

#146 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:23

No, it doesn't.

#147 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:24

indeed

Hmmm. I may be new to these forums and I may be wrong but I thought these rankings included qualifying.

People forget that Hamilton had to contend with a 5 Place grid drop.

He out-performed Button in qualifying - splitting the faster Mercedes at 'their' circuit.

So, is Hamilton's Grid Drop his fault?

Anyone - and with no disrespect to you - who can't see the above is blinkered themselves. There is NO WAY Button's weekend should be classified as being superior to Hamilton's if the objective of these rankings is to take into account qualifying and the penalty (which has nothing to do with the driver).

As per Rosberg. He deserves a 10. But you can only compare his qually and race to Schumachers and consider what's been written above. If Rosberg's a 10, then Schumacher is less than 10... doesn't mean that Hamilton did anything to deserve less than 10.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 16 April 2012 - 20:31.

#148 bauss

bauss

• 4,957 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:25

indeed

#149 Markn93

Markn93

• 4,072 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:27

Pic - 9? He finished behind Glock didn't he?

#150 korzeniow

korzeniow

• 5,671 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 20:28

Hmmm. I may be new to these forums and I may be wrong but I thought these rankings included qualifying.

People forget that Hamilton had to contend with a 5 Place grid drop.

He out-performed Button in qualifying - splitting the faster Mercedes at 'their' circuit.

So, is Hamilton's Grid Drop his fault?

Anyone - and with no disrespect to you - who can't see the above is blinkered themselves. There is NO WAY Button's weekend should be classified as being superior to Hamilton's if the objective of these rankings is to take into account qualifying and the penalty (which has nothing to do with the driver).

Yes, in quallifying he did great but in race he didn't challenge anyone.