Photo

Points in qualifying

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 swones

swones

• 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:03

After watching todays qualifying I was disapointed to see vettel settle for a low grid slot!! I would much rather see all drivers giving 100%. So I would like to see 10 points for pole hen work down. This would make it more exciting for the fans aswell as spice up the title battle as it could go down to some of the points from qualifying that clinch the title?!

Whats your thoughts on this?

Advertisement

#2 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:05

Well, I'd like to see drivers giving 100% in the race aswell :-(

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,949 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:07

Why do you think Vettel could have gone faster? This isn't 2010.

#4 Alx09

Alx09

• 1,283 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:09

vettel settle for a low grid slot

As BRG says, this isn't 2010-2011.

#5 KoezhVukotic

KoezhVukotic

• 235 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:12

A point or two for pole, and maybe fastest lap would be good and works in other series but points right down Q3 would be too much as unless you doubled or tripled the points given in the race it makes qualifying too important for the championship

#6 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:14

I was disappointed Kimi removed his best laptime because he preferred starting from P10!! Would much rather see all drivers keep their time. I'd say there should be a 10 point penalty for whoever doesn't like their time. Would certainly make it more exiting and spice up everything and all!

#7 swones

swones

• 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:18

Yes I do no its not 2010 I have a callender, I thought Vettel could have gone quicker thats my personal opinion.. Are you telling me that he couldnt have gone any quicker on the medium or softer than the harder compound??

#8 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:20

BBC says that Kimi had to change a faulty gearbox and took a five point penalty.

#9 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:20

Yes I do no its not 2010 I have a callender, I thought Vettel could have gone quicker thats my personal opinion.. Are you telling me that he couldnt have gone any quicker on the medium or softer than the harder compound??

Ah!

I thought Hamilton could have gone quicker too. Same for Button. Heck, they all could have gone faster. Now what is your point precisely? What telemetry from Vettel have you seen that you can inform us about?

#10 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:22

I think that he is in a better place for a win, than he might be, being just ahead of Webber, starting on soft tyres, which is the best he would have got, imo.

#11 windtravels

windtravels

• 901 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:23

i think some points for pole would be good. or the top 5 maybe.

its tricky though...

#12 Group B

Group B

• 14,507 posts

SV said he could only get at best one or two more places so decided to sacrifice that to start on the harder tyres. Sensible enough in theory.

#13 swones

swones

• 3 posts

Ah!

I thought Hamilton could have gone quicker too. Same for Button. Heck, they all could have gone faster. Now what is your point precisely? What telemetry from Vettel have you seen that you can inform us about?

My point is would it not make it more ineresting if points where available for qualifying?

#14 davissi

davissi

• 51 posts

I was disappointed Kimi removed his best laptime because he preferred starting from P10!! Would much rather see all drivers keep their time. I'd say there should be a 10 point penalty for whoever doesn't like their time. Would certainly make it more exiting and spice up everything and all!

What on earth are you talking about ?

#15 Cool Beans

Cool Beans

• 1,553 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:24

After watching Melbourne I was disappointed to see only Button chose to win the race, all the other drivers settled for lower positions!! I would much rather see all the drivers winning 100% of the races. So I would like to see a $10.000 fine for hen work down. Thank you.

#16 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:24

My point is would it not make it more ineresting if points where available for qualifying?

Not really. Qualifying is interesting enough these days. No driver is holding back and we've got several teams very close up front. What more do you want?

#17 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:25

depends, would 2011 have been more "interesting" if vettel got 10 points per pole?

#18 dundee

dundee

• 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:26

Lift the limitations on engine and gearbox life, compulsory use of two tyre compounds, forcing drivers to start race on qualifying tyres and revert back to max.12 laps in qualifying would solve all those problems.

#19 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:26

After watching Melbourne I was disappointed to see only Button chose to win the race, all the other drivers settled for lower positions!! I would much rather see all the drivers winning 100% of the races. So I would like to see a $10.000 fine for hen work down. Thank you.

Totally agree. The way Lewis let Vettel past because the day before Seb bought them both pretzels? What the hell was that about.

Advertisement

#20 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:27

No.

You might see teams, lower teams opt to design qualifying cars to score points.

F1 has never been about 1 lap pace. F1 is a race.

Giving points in qualifying is like rewarding points to those who reach the halfway mark at Le Mans. That is not the goal. The goal is to win races.

#21 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 13,725 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:29

I wouldn't mind if drivers maybe got five points for pole or something, but I don't think it would make them all try for pole much more at all. I already think that all the drivers with a possible shout for pole, go tooth for nail to get the thing. Pole already ensures your photo in the Sunday newspaper.

#22 stewie

stewie

• 3,554 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:38

Personally I'd like to see a point for pole, and fastest lap, as it gives people a reason to give that little bit extra.

#23 krea

krea

• 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:38

points for qualifying
points for the fastest lap
points for the best overtake
points for the shortest pitstop

no, thanks...

#24 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:42

After watching todays qualifying I was disapointed to see vettel settle for a low grid slot!! I would much rather see all drivers giving 100%. So I would like to see 10 points for pole hen work down. This would make it more exciting for the fans aswell as spice up the title battle as it could go down to some of the points from qualifying that clinch the title?!

In today's racing, qualifying means little. If you can get your car in the front 3-4 rows of the grid, you can still be a race win contender. Qualifying (more like time trials in today's motorsport) means little IMO. Shouldn't mean much. More races are won from a position that's not the pole, than the pole, so what's the point? If you want time trials to mean something, than just make it another race. Start if based on points standings, or blind draw.

#25 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:45

Lift the limitations on engine and gearbox life, compulsory use of two tyre compounds, forcing drivers to start race on qualifying tyres and revert back to max.12 laps in qualifying would solve all those problems.

This. It's funny how F1 has been turning into a resistance rally more than a race sometimes. When qualy was a race inside the race maybe points could have been awarded. Nowadays people decide to save tyres, gearboxes, engines. Everything needs to be conserved, which, IMO, is ridiculous in a sport like F1 which should be about having cars at their 100% just to see who is fastest. I remember when drivers even had spare cars that they would climb on to if, f.ex., they crashed at the start and the race was restarted. Bottom line, we want to see as many drivers as possible racing with as few handicaps as possible. Al the "conservation rules" artificially shuffle the field and decrease the probability of us fans watching a better race.

#26 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:52

points for qualifying
points for the fastest lap
points for the best overtake
points for the shortest pitstop

no, thanks...

+1

Qualifying is not an end in itself, and should never be. It is simply a means to set the grid for the actual competition, a motor race.

#27 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:54

Here's the scenario: a title decider during the final weekend, a difference of 24 points, and the championship leader wins the title with the pole position point. In the race, the challenger wins the race whilst the title leader retires, which would have given him the title without qualifying points. Which is better viewing?

#28 HaydenFan

HaydenFan

• 2,319 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:57

Here's the scenario: a title decider during the final weekend, a difference of 24 points, and the championship leader wins the title with the pole position point. In the race, the challenger wins the race whilst the title leader retires, which would have given him the title without qualifying points. Which is better viewing?

You mean 25 points lead going into qualifying? But yeah, you made that race meaningless before the lights went out.

#29 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 31,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 20:59

You mean 25 points lead going into qualifying? But yeah, you made that race meaningless before the lights went out.

Or that, depending on count back.

#30 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,745 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:10

Vettel did give 100%. Points don't equal excitement.

#31 HuddersfieldTerrier1986

HuddersfieldTerrier1986

• 2,727 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:10

That's the exact reason why I'd never support points for qualifying. That and the fact that I think winning the title based on 1 lap on a Saturday afternoon in a 10 minute session is just ridiculous. Yes I know there's 45mins of track action in quali, but in terms of points for pole, only the final 10mins count for anything.

#32 Wander

Wander

• 2,367 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:17

^Exactly. It may work for some series, but it's no for F1. Same for fastest laps.

Edited by Wander, 24 March 2012 - 21:17.

#33 krea

krea

• 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:23

This. It's funny how F1 has been turning into a resistance rally more than a race sometimes. When qualy was a race inside the race maybe points could have been awarded. Nowadays people decide to save tyres, gearboxes, engines. Everything needs to be conserved, which, IMO, is ridiculous in a sport like F1 which should be about having cars at their 100% just to see who is fastest. I remember when drivers even had spare cars that they would climb on to if, f.ex., they crashed at the start and the race was restarted. Bottom line, we want to see as many drivers as possible racing with as few handicaps as possible. Al the "conservation rules" artificially shuffle the field and decrease the probability of us fans watching a better race.

I don't wanna destroy your nostalgia but F1 was never pushing everything 100% over a full race. I don't know we you can have such an idea.

#34 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:28

I'd like to see qualifying higher up give you some sort of advantage in the race the following day.

Edit: apparently this post is far too subtle for some. Sorry about that.

The point is: qualifying higher up does give you some sort of advantage in the race the following day. That's what it's for.

Edited by trogggy, 24 March 2012 - 21:51.

#35 krea

krea

• 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:29

I'd like to see qualifying higher up give you some sort of advantage in the race the following day.

You start on pole. I think it's a pretty good advantage. It's the position with the most wins after all.

#36 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:31

You start on pole. I think it's a pretty good advantage. It's the position with the most wins after all.

Whoooooosh.  ;)

#37 joshb

joshb

• 3,387 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:31

I bet you weren't saying this in 2010-2011

#38 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:32

You mean something crazy like getting to start ahead of slower cars?

#39 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:34

You mean something crazy like getting to start ahead of slower cars?

So you're saying I was being too subtle there?

Advertisement

#40 Elloh

Elloh

• 412 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:43

Qualification is just to decide in what order every driver will start the RACE. Where the points is given. Dont understand why everyone is coming with these GP2 things all the time.

#41 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • Racing Sims Forum Host

• 46,513 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:45

A bonus point for pole, leading the most laps or fastest lap would be fine. Now that a win is worth 25 a single point for each of those would be a suitable bonus.

#42 garoidb

garoidb

• 8,487 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:46

Why should it? The only reason for qualifying is to decide the grid order, a practical necessity. Ideally, it would have no influence at all on the outcome but that is impractical.

#43 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:48

Why should it? The only reason for qualifying is to decide the grid order, a practical necessity. Ideally, it would have no influence at all on the outcome but that is impractical.

Please see the edit I'm now putting on the original bleeding post.

#44 Arska

Arska

• 947 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:49

So you're saying I was being too subtle there?

Comedy... it's a tricky business. Most can't do it successfully.

#45 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

I don't think he "settled" for anythink. Grid position is an outcome of his strategy under current set of regulations, and means he has to his disposal.

#46 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,644 posts

Extra set of soft tyres for those making it to Q3? It is a joke that being left out of Q# is an advantage.

#47 trogggy

trogggy

• 9,216 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:53

Extra set of soft tyres for those making it to Q3? It is a joke that being left out of Q# is an advantage.

Please see my edit.
Although I agree the extra tyres would improve things.

#48 krea

krea

• 2,180 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:53

Whoooooosh.  ;)

you got me!

good job!

#49 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 21:55

:clap:

#50 RealRacing

RealRacing

• 2,541 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 22:53

I don't wanna destroy your nostalgia but F1 was never pushing everything 100% over a full race. I don't know we you can have such an idea.

How many races does an engine have to last? A gear box? Is there a limit on no. of tyres per race? I never talked about pushing 100%, I talked about less restrictions that produced a higher likelihood of taking things to the limit and giving us better races. I guess the key word is likelihood. Would you for example not prefer Kimi to start 5th instead of 10th tomorrow? Would you not prefer every driver in Q3 to give it all instead of sometimes saving tyres for the race? Would you not prefer that every driver had a chance to use whatever compounds he desired and do how many stops he needed, allowing, for example, to have 0 stop strategies? What if the last race of the season had 2 drivers tied in points and one of them broke their engine in Q3, after having qualified 2nd? Would you rather see them start 10 places apart or allow the driver to change his engine without penalty and decide the championship on track? Food for thought. Some people up here ^ seem to agree.

Edited by RealRacing, 24 March 2012 - 22:54.