Photo

Seperate Racing Series Sub-Forums

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:03

I think this site needs to seperate each different racing series (NASCAR,Indycar, F1, etc) into its own sub-forum. This would be so much better and less confusion having everything thrown into 1 sub-forum. The way it is now, threads of other series, except F1 get lost in the shuffle fairly quickly. All other racing forums I belong to seperate each series and makes for much easier reading, searching, and ease.

Just my thoughts and suggestion on this.

Advertisement

#2 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 17:24

No one ?? Anything ?

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,883 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 17:44

I think you have received the answer!

#4 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 17:57

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=107407

#5 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 19:19

I 100% agree with Danicafan, current system is extremely confusing and none of the other forums I use have everything mish mashed like this... when you have 100,000 threads regarding F1 shoe sizes and whatsnot it's difficult to seek for proper threads involving other proper motorsports.

#6 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 14:57

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=107407

Ok, thanks for the link so when are we splitting the race series into sub-forums ???? :)

#7 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:06

I guess no moderators are taking any criticism or going to respond to this. Im sorry but this 1 sub-forum for every race series is just outright confusing and dumb.

Sorry but I had to speak my mind. Posts get shuffled way back so quickly, its terrible. It is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Edited by DanicaFan, 31 March 2012 - 18:29.

#8 fifi

fifi

• 12,423 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:36

I guess no moderators are taking any criticism or going to respond to this. Im sorry but this 1 sub-forum for every race series is just outright confusing and dumb.

Sorry but I had to speak my mind. Posts get shuffled way back so quickly, its terrible. It is NOT USER FRIENDLY.

and thats your opinion and i dont see many people rushing to agree with you

#9 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:37

It has been discussed before, this thread has brought nothing new to the table. Why not subscribe to the threads that interest you, that way you will get an email when there is a post and you can follow the link to the first read post.

#10 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 18,648 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 18:55

Can we have a seperate Danica forum with pics of her etc. and no negative comments about her, that would rule.

#11 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:36

Can we have a seperate Danica forum with pics of her etc. and no negative comments about her, that would rule.

That would be nice.

#12 DanicaFan

DanicaFan

• 686 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 19:39

and thats your opinion and i dont see many people rushing to agree with you

Well, to be honest, Im suprised more people dont agree with me. Maybe they do, they just are afraid to speak up. Im not when it comes to improving things. This 1 forum for everything is crazy, confusing, and inefficient! It's the ONLY forum that I am a member of that has all racing series in 1 forum. That should tell people here something.

I may have to take a break from this site because all this searching for stuff is giving me a headache....lol :drunk:

#13 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 866 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:58

Well, to be honest, Im suprised more people dont agree with me. Maybe they do, they just are afraid to speak up. Im not when it comes to improving things. This 1 forum for everything is crazy, confusing, and inefficient! It's the ONLY forum that I am a member of that has all racing series in 1 forum. That should tell people here something.

I may have to take a break from this site because all this searching for stuff is giving me a headache....lol :drunk:

I do - I have to skip it visually, for example, IndyCar - that is, read the topic name, am I interested in? No -> skip, move to the next one, repeat.
The Racing Comments is a mess. My humble suggestion is:

- F1:
1. Teams / cars
2. Races / quali / tests
3. Other (drivers bashing, rumors, members bickering, etc)

- Next best popular:
1. Same structure

- The rest racing series
1. Same structure.

It would be harder to navigate, however, from a pure usability point of view - reaching whatever you need in more clicks that usual - with the trade-off of being more structured, though.

#14 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,609 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:33

Keep in mind that this is an international forum, so even though the reach is much broader than, say, a certain Indycar forum for instance, F1 is the common bond for virtually everybody here. Sure, they could give NASCAR and Indycar their own subforums, but then they'd also have to create subforums for the WEC, the ALMS, Grand-Am, the DTM, the WTCC, the BTCC, the Aussie V8 Supercars, GP2, GP3, F2, F3, AutoGP, the WRC, the IRC, and every other series that anybody follows. It'd be a huge mess, and I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome with all the extra clicks I'd have to make just to get to the threads I'm looking for (especially if they did what kvarbanov is proposing above).

If there were a potentially better way to organize it, (and I really don't care one way or the other myself), it would be as follows:
1. F1 stuff
2. not-F1 stuff

#15 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,328 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:48

If there were a potentially better way to organize it, (and I really don't care one way or the other myself), it would be as follows:
1. F1 stuff
2. not-F1 stuff

I could handle that. Didn't people back in the day used to write "OT" before non-F1 thread titles? Archive suggests they did.

#16 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:05

I don't have any problem with it, and I don't read a lot of the F1 threads. The non-F1 threads stay active enough that if something is going on you won't miss it, especially on a race weekend. The Indycar and NASCAR race threads as well as the general Indycar and NASCAR season threads have been on the first page pretty much constantly.

#17 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 14:28

There's no point in subforums which are going to have 1 or 2 threads a week, to be honest. Not sure you're going to have a lot of people commenting on IndyCar threads on a random Wednesday afternoon, unlike F1 threads...

#18 Exar Kun

Exar Kun

• 1,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:22

Why not have the ability to tag a thread in the title? I know other forum software can do this but I haven't looked into IP Board to see if it can.

On other forums I'm on, when you are creating a new thread you get a drop down next to the thread title which allows to you pick from certain options. Alternatively you can leave it blank. It would read as:

<Formula 1> "Thread title here"
<NASCAR> "Thread title here"

etc.

Makes it easier to find something relating to a particular series without the extra button clicks (except one for the thread starter).

#19 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:31

If there will be some restructuring at all, the best I see is just a single sub forum for all other motor sports and the current may be renamed to "F1 racing comments".
There is no large discussion on other motor sport and creation of many sub forums will only make it hard to keep the forum as a whole tidy.

Advertisement

#20 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:20

I like having everything in the same forum. The one thing I hate about "organised" forums is that I have to click through 100 billion times to change through every single ****ing sub-forum to get where I want. Here, it's not an issue. On the off chance your thread has submerged onto page 2+, either click page 2, or search for it. Overall there's less clicking and loading new pages with the current system, which is how it should be.

#21 SonnyViceR

SonnyViceR

• 1,993 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:51

Keep in mind that this is an international forum, so even though the reach is much broader than, say, a certain Indycar forum for instance, F1 is the common bond for virtually everybody here. Sure, they could give NASCAR and Indycar their own subforums, but then they'd also have to create subforums for the WEC, the ALMS, Grand-Am, the DTM, the WTCC, the BTCC, the Aussie V8 Supercars, GP2, GP3, F2, F3, AutoGP, the WRC, the IRC, and every other series that anybody follows. It'd be a huge mess, and I'd get carpal tunnel syndrome with all the extra clicks I'd have to make just to get to the threads I'm looking for (especially if they did what kvarbanov is proposing above).

You're trying to make it more confusing than it is, we only need sub sections for

Formula 1
Other single seaters
Sports cars
Stock cars
Touring cars
Rallying
Motorbikes
Misc

That alone would help the viewing massively as 99% of the filler topics would go to F1 anyway

But since the Autosport staff probably doesn't bother to read this thread it doesn't matter what we think...

Edited by SonnyViceR, 05 April 2012 - 17:58.

#22 pacificquay

pacificquay

• 6,227 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:49

Leave it as it is. Too much subdivision causes threads and interest to die.

And you don't really want the place turned into a clone of T**-T****s

#23 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,698 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 22:30

I see no need for subforums - it's all motor racing. If you do subdivide, what do you do with threads that straddle the boundaries such as: F1 drivers competing in rallies, rally drivers at Le Mans, etc?